Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

New Zealand Earth Quake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Zealand Earth Quake
    Posted: July 22 2013 at 8:00am

NBCNews.com

A 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck central New Zealand near the capital on Sunday, prompting flights in and out of the nearby airport to be suspended, according to local reports.

One News reported on its website that all flights in and out of Wellington Airport were suspended indefinitely amid fears of damage to equipment.

The quake hit just after 5 p.m. local time and was centered about 35 miles south-southwest of Wellington in the narrow Cook Strait between the northern and southern islands, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on its website. The USGS originally said the quake registered 6.9 but later revised that figure.

"We've had one report of structural damage so far, but as far as I know, power in the city is still on," said a spokesman at the capital's fire station, according to Reuters.

The area on the northern island around Wellington, the capital, is home to about 400,000 people. The small town of Seddon was just east of the epicenter on the southern island.

A reporter for a Wellington television network who was in Christchurch during the deadly 2011 quake said that Sunday’s quake felt as bad.

"It's scary … there's not a lot of damage but it was terrifying," said reporter Jessica McCarthy, One News reported.

Central New Zealand had been hit by a swarm of earthquakes in recent days, including a 5.7 on Friday and a 5.8 Sunday morning, The Dominion Post newspaper reported on its website. It displayed a map that showed the epicenters grouped just east of Seddon.
Buy more ammo!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 8:00am
Kiwimum, Haven't heard from you. Everything O K?
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 2:12pm
Hi Arirish,
All's well with me thanks. I've just been really busy. Yesterday I butchered a calf on my own which took quite a while. My farm just keeps me occupied and it's school holidays here too so my children also keep me busy. I have been keeping an eye on this site but haven't had enough time to join in.

There have been hundreds of earthquakes here in the last couple of days. We haven't felt any since we are further south, but we have had our share since we had a 7.1 in Sept 2010 and then a 6.3 in Feb 2011 that killed about 180 people. Since then, in my area, we've had over 12,000 quakes, though most you don't feel.

The earthquakes at the top of the South Island are centered in the sea between the two islands, very close to Wellington. A recent survey of buildings in Wellington showed that about 7000 with public access wouldn't stand up to a large quake. As we all know, earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do.

The whole of NZ is waiting for the great Alpine Fault to rupture, and it ends at the top of the South Island. It ruptures every 300 years and last went 297 years ago. We've been told to expect a minimum of an 8.2 with a lateral movement of about 8m and a vertical of about 4m at the fault line. The shaking would last minutes not seconds. 

On the MM scale, if shaking at the fault line is severe and measures a 10, I live in an 8 zone, so we're expecting severe disruption. 

I do check the quake drums every day to keep an eye open for patterns. Unfortunately are no written records of the last quake in 1717 since the first European settlers only came to the south island in the 1800's, so no one knows if there were any foreshocks, or if the giant quake just came out of the blue. 

Loads of studies have been done to estimate the damage to infrastucture but it's all guess work. The poor people of Seddon (the town nearest this latest swarm of quakes) have had 30 noticeable quakes since 1am this morning (it's 9am as I write this). They won't have slept much at all. When we were having our swarm, we could hear them coming at night, and when they hit, the large pane of glass in our bedroom window would flex and I lie next to that. It's a freakish sound. 

Our whole house would creak as the quake passed under it. The movement is quite nice though. I personally like it, especially when outside although one quake did tip me into a raised vegetable bed and on another I was standing next to a very large open beehive that I was tending. I had to hold it upright which was a scary moment as I didn't know how large the quake would be and the last thing I want is 90,000 angry bees on me.

Anyhow, watch this space. When you hear that the Alpine Fault has ruptured, I suspect you won't hear from me for quite some time as I don't suppose any telephone lines will be left undamaged. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 2:43pm
Good to hear all's well! I used to live north of San Fransisco. While there I experienced several 6.0's but I've never been through a big one. Now I live in Arkansas between tornado alley and the New Madrid fault!We could have an EF 5 tornado or a 10.0 earth quake anytime! Again, glad You and Yours are well!     P.S. What's a quake drum?
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 5:02pm
Quake drums are sensors placed on the ground that record seismic activity. also known as a seismic drum. NZ is covered in them. they are everywhere because we are so geologically active. look at geonet.org.nz to see our drums, volcanic activity and earthquakes as they happen. 

You can click on any drum shown on the map and see it's individual readings. Just keep your eye on the scale shown at the top right corner of the graph. Wellington is currently on a scale of 10,000 whereas normally they are on 200 or 400. If the scale wasn't so high, all you would see is red. Most people I know check in on geonet regularly.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 7:00pm
KiwiMum, was thinking about you the other day when I heard about the quakes! Glad arirish asked!

You live in a beautiful place so there are trade offs and the quakes are the trade off.

I am impressed you butchered your calf. Dang what I wouldn't give to be there to help. I have been watching the butchering of deer on the net so I can learn just in case. I use to have a friend who shot, gutted, quartered and horse packed out her elk every year. Lost track of here when she divorced and left wish I could find her!

I admire you!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 12:45am
This was the first animal (other than chickens) that I've butchered alone. Normally my husband and I butcher together, he cuts and I pack and process. He's very busy work wise so I did this one myself. I started at 7am and finished with a clean kitchen at 12. I really enjoyed it. 

I normally do the gutting and this time I did the skinning as well which I really liked. I loved the noise of the membranes tearing and the whole tactile experience. I'm having a go at curing this skin too, so I'll have to see how I get on. I don't mind failure, I find I learn with experience. 

Today I made steak and kidney suet pudding for dinner and 3 kg of pate for the freezer. 

I wish you were nearer too, as we are now producing way more food that we need. Especially meat. I don't have anyone here to give it too, or to swap with, which is a real shame. Anyhow our dogs eat well! We live in a wealthy area and unfortunately there is no one any where near us who shares our values. I leave eggs in our neighbours letter boxes  and the rest I feed to the pigs or dogs or anything else I can persuade to eat them. 

I have 12 litres of A2 organic jersey milk to use up every single day. It's harder than you think. Occasionally I get overwhelmed with too much milk and then I bathe in it. I realise that sounds obscene in a world where half the people don't have enough to eat. We would dearly love like minded neighbours. 
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 3:22am
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

This was the first animal (other than chickens) that I've butchered alone. Normally my husband and I butcher together, he cuts and I pack and process. He's very busy work wise so I did this one myself. I started at 7am and finished with a clean kitchen at 12. I really enjoyed it. 

I normally do the gutting and this time I did the skinning as well which I really liked. I loved the noise of the membranes tearing and the whole tactile experience. I'm having a go at curing this skin too, so I'll have to see how I get on. I don't mind failure, I find I learn with experience. 

Today I made steak and kidney suet pudding for dinner and 3 kg of pate for the freezer. 

I wish you were nearer too, as we are now producing way more food that we need. Especially meat. I don't have anyone here to give it too, or to swap with, which is a real shame. Anyhow our dogs eat well! We live in a wealthy area and unfortunately there is no one any where near us who shares our values. I leave eggs in our neighbours letter boxes  and the rest I feed to the pigs or dogs or anything else I can persuade to eat them. 

I have 12 litres of A2 organic jersey milk to use up every single day. It's harder than you think. Occasionally I get overwhelmed with too much milk and then I bathe in it. I realise that sounds obscene in a world where half the people don't have enough to eat. We would dearly love like minded neighbours. 

KiwiMum
I'm really interested in your skinning technique.  I have a mate who uses a golf ball and a length of rope. He can whip a skin off an animal in seconds.  I've tried this with limited success, it seems to work well on goats and deer but I had trouble with a sheep.

Tips would be appreciated.
 P.S. I admire your tenacity and love reading your insightful posts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 2:18pm
Rickster, I really have no experience of skinning at all. This was the first cow I've skinned. We shot it in the head and it was dead before it hit the ground, then my husband slit its throat to start bleeding it and then we put a slot between the tendon and the bone on each of the back legs and hoisted the beast into the air. Once it was hanging, we cut off the head and the front lower legs.

Then, with a very sharp knife my husband cut around the anus and cut a ring around the knee joint in the hind legs. It's from this point that I started skinning. We have a number of knives and they were all sharpened but I found a small mora hunting knife to be the most convenient. 

I just peeled back the skin working downwards, pulling the skin with one hand and then lightly touching the membranes that hold the skin to the flesh with the knife. The noise was just lovely and the whole job was very satisfying. It took about 15 minutes to skin it completely. Bearing it mind it was my first one, I'd expect to speed up with experience. 

I have seen calves skinned in seconds using a truck and a sturdy fence post. The resultant skin was in a very poor state. This method was used to skin lots of new born calves and their carcasses were thrown to packs of hunting dogs to eat. It was brutal and violent and not something I'd like to witness again.

I have recently started breeding meat rabbits to use as dog and cat food and we have two litters of kits already, so within 8 weeks I'll be skinning rabbits. I definitely want to cure those skins as I fancy having a rabbit skin bedspread.  

I guess, like anything, we learn from experience. I've learned to celebrate failure rather than beat myself up over it. But I have a surplus and can afford failure. This is why I believe that if people don't acquire skills before a societal collapse, those inevitable failures may well prove fatal to them and their families. No one can get it right first time, or even second or third time. 

I haven't skinned a sheep. In fact its the only farm animal that I have absolutely no experience of. I don't think we'll ever get sheep either. I like lamb well enough but could probably trade for some, but we have too much meat as it is. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic