Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

November prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November prepping
    Posted: November 07 2013 at 10:01am
I'm way late on posting this month, lol. Every time I would think about it I would be at work 12am-8:00am and it's harder to post off my phone, so I would think, "oh I'll do that when I get home to my laptop".  There are a lot of good sales on baking items in my area, things like sugar, flour, mixes, etc. What are people working on this month?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 10:18am
Organizing the kitchen so we can think about getting some of our preps out of the garage and free up some space down there, and allow us to more easily rotate them.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 12:54pm
I've been working on getting paper products: tp, pt, napkins... also feminine products lol. I'm decent on otc medicine and first aid supplies. building up on soups since they've been on sale. need more spices and teas. need more yarn to crochet winter products with and need more water
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 3:12pm
Herchner's is having their annual yarn sale right now. They have some good prices for your projects. 

We're reorganizing the pantry to make more room. Just bought a bunch of pumpkins for $1 each to can up.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 5:48pm
I am sure you all know this but the pancake mix we use in our Diner well hold forever,we buy it at Sams Club.15 lb bag .thin the mix and it makes a very good bread substitute. Just add water.
WHAT TO DO????
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 5:15pm

much useful info on the use of fish antibiotics for human use

So, You Bought Fish Antibiotics. Now What?, by TX ER DOC

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/11/so-you-bought-fish-antibiotics-now-what-by-tx-er-doc.html

please make note of the dangers of using expired tetracycline/doxycycline

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 5:39pm
Apparently this stems from a case way back in 1963 where expired tetracycline supposedly caused kidney damage, but that's since been challenged. Whether it did or not, the formulation was changed a long time ago to prevent it breaking down into toxic compounds after it expired.
I found this on a survival forum,

" Dealing With The ‘Tetracycline Becomes Toxic’ Myth

There has long been a belief that the antibiotic tetracycline becomes toxic once it has past it’s expiration date.
In Medscape Today’s article, Do Medications Really Expire?, they discusses the original case, “A contested example of a rare exception [of expired drugs possibly becoming toxic] is a case of renal tubular damage purportedly caused by expired tetracycline (reported by G. W. Frimpter and colleagues in JAMA, 1963;184:111). This outcome (disputed by other scientists) was supposedly caused by a chemical transformation of the active ingredient.”
The case was thoroughly evaluated in the 1978 article, Tetracycline in a Renal Insufficiency: Resolution of a Therapeutic Dilemma, it states, “”Old” and degraded tetracyclines have previously been demonstrated to have direct toxic effects on the renal proximal tubule, but because of changes in manufacturing techniques this is no longer a real problem.” It also states, “It has often been stated that the tetracyclines should be avoided in patients with severe renal disease, but, as we shall see, doxycycline represents an important exception to the rule”.
In Cohen’s article on the Shelf Life Extension Program, Many Medicines Are Potent Years Past Expiration Dates, it goes on to state, “Only one report known to the medical community linked an old drug to human toxicity. A 1963 Journal of the American Medical Association article said degraded tetracycline caused kidney damage. Even this study, though, has been challenged by other scientists. Mr. Flaherty says the Shelf Life program encountered no toxicity with tetracycline”.
Medical evidence supports that tetracycline, past it’s expiration date–especially in the form of doxycycline–is as safe as any other expired antibiotic."
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 5:54pm

good to know

many thanks...

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 8:51pm
You're most welcome, Satori.
I was of the same opinion because I'd seen tetracycline frequently identified as the medication to ditch after it's expiration date, but after some research (and time hanging out on prepper/survivalist forums), I started to see people contradicting it. I'd hate to see people throw away meds that might save a life in a SHTF situation.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 9:16pm
I have some Zithromax on reserve because my doctor is obnoxious and keeps prescribing it to me every five seconds. He's the kind of doctor who over prescribes antibiotics. Kind of unsure I want to take it if it really does affect the heart. I have a slight valve regurgitation, and am concerned it might exacerbate that. Hmm anyway, for more preps of the month, I need to replenish my otc stuff such as ibuprophen, multivitamins, stuff like that. I am good on the feminine productsEmbarrassed LOL I also just realized I am running low on TP so I definitely do need to hurry up and get that. I have been lagging this month because I am getting closer to graduating as well as my research, and everything seems to be due all at once.
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

I have some Zithromax on reserve because my doctor is obnoxious and keeps prescribing it to me every five seconds. He's the kind of doctor who over prescribes antibiotics. Kind of unsure I want to take it if it really does affect the heart. I have a slight valve regurgitation, and am concerned it might exacerbate that. Hmm anyway, for more preps of the month, I need to replenish my otc stuff such as ibuprophen, multivitamins, stuff like that. I am good on the feminine productsEmbarrassed LOL I also just realized I am running low on TP so I definitely do need to hurry up and get that. I have been lagging this month because I am getting closer to graduating as well as my research, and everything seems to be due all at once.

Hachiban - Medical doctors who prescribe antibiotics have the responsibility to exercise good judgement in what they prescribe. Several facts which have been researched and published by medical doctors, have found some sobering facts about our current state of the overuse of antibiotics. This can be especially bad during the flu season.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/07/11/antiobiotic-resistance-spikes-during-flu-season

Resistance to antibiotics spikes during flu season, likely because that's when the drugs are prescribed more often, researchers report.

Physicians and scientists have worried for years about the possible overuse of antibiotics, since germs can adapt and become immune to them over time.

The researchers looked at statistics regarding antibiotic use and levels of resistance to the drugs. They found that levels of drug-resistant E. coli went up after spikes in prescriptions of two antibiotics, aminopenicillin and fluoroquinolone. The same thing happened to the antibiotic-resistant staph infection called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, better known as MRSA. In the months after prescriptions for two other antiobiotics, fluoroquinolones and macrolides, went up, so did cases of MRSA.

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/resantimicrobial.html

Nowadays, about 70 percent of the bacteria that cause infections in hospitals are resistant to at least one of the drugs most commonly used for treatment. Some organisms are resistant to all approved antibiotics and can only be treated with experimental and potentially toxic drugs. An alarming increase in resistance of bacteria that cause community acquired infections has also been documented, especially in the staphylococci and pneumococci (Streptococcus pneumoniae), which are prevalent causes of disease and mortality. In a recent study, 25% of bacterial pneumonia cases were shown to be resistant to penicillin, and an additional 25% of cases were resistant to more than one antibiotic.

Specific warnings on the use of Zithromax are Azithromycin can be found here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azithromycin

In 2013, the FDA issued a warning saying that azithromycin "can cause abnormal changes in the electrical activity of the heart that may lead to a potentially fatal irregular heart rhythm." The FDA noted in the warning a 2012 study released by the New England Journal of Medicine that found the drug may increase the risk of death, especially in those with heart problems, compared with those on other antibiotics such as amoxicillin or no antibiotic. The warning indicated that people with preexistent conditions are at particular risk, such as those with QT interval prolongation, low blood levels of potassium or magnesium, a slower than normal heart rate, or those who use of certain drugs used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, or arrhythmias. [17][18]

comment: In all drugs, many of these side effects may be to a limited number of cases or may be prescribed in consideration of the odds versus the benefits.

Drugs were the talk of the Prepper community for years before and after the Pandemic. Many useful against secondary or opportunistic infections may no longer be effective. There are many doctors in ERs that when faced with a wide spectrum of viruses and bacteria, will not prescribe certain ones that are the holdouts which are still effective. If used too frequently, they will no longer cure the illness as the bacteria in the general population become resistant.

So, it has been discovered that the "Stomach Flu" can actually be helped by antibiotics to survive.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-06-viruses-gut-confer-antibiotic-resistance.html

Bacteria in the gut that are under attack by antibiotics have allies no one had anticipated, a team of Wyss Institute scientists has found. Gut viruses that usually commandeer the bacteria, it turns out, enable them to survive the antibiotic onslaught, most likely by handing them genes that help them withstand the drug.

What's more, the gut viruses, called bacteriophage or simply phage, deliver genes that help the bacteria to survive not just the antibiotic they've been exposed to, but other types of antibiotics as well, the scientists reported online June 9 in Nature. That suggests that phages in the gut may be partly responsible for the emergence of dangerous superbugs that withstand multiple antibiotics, and that drug targeting of phages could offer a potential new path to mitigate development of antibiotic resistance.

conclusion: Heavily research currently what has happened in the last three months as far as antibiotics.  Many older studies are no longer accurate and do paint the real picture of the current situation as we have started the Flu season in the Northern Hemisphere. If your financial and space resources are limited, be sure what you have is going to work on the current opportunistic infections that are more lethal than the virus itself. It is often these bacteria which cause the actual death rather than the virus.

Medclinician

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 5:34pm
Thanks for the info, Med. So do you think that it'd be in my best interest with the valve issue, I also have asymptomatic tachycardia, if offered antibiotics again, to discourage the Zithromax ones? The doctors don't always look at my records before prescribing me things as they have tried to give me medicines I have known bad reactions to.
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2013 at 7:56pm
I come from a long line, of medical profession antagonists. This does not mean that I consider all members of the medical health community completely inferior. However, I do recognize that they have powers and authority that they should have never received, and that they need to be put back in the safe little box that enables them to be of equal status to all other professions, such as sanitation worker or garbage removers.

Of course, I do have more respect for these garbage workers, because they truly keep filth and disease from multiplying and spreading.

Physicians on the other hand, cause more disease merely due to the fact that they have a monopoly on who gets to administer medications, and who gets to write the parental notes for sick workers to take to their bosses, after they pay the fee to the worthless doctor. This forces individuals to further exposure to more illnesses, because they must go before the glorified salesman, the doctor, at his office full of other sick people, which is very bad practice, for isolating disease to the home. But the Quacks all need their cut.

Plus to top off their ignorant glorification, stop the strange custom of identifying them by the title of Doctor. They are no different then any other worker for hire.
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 7:42am
Balance is our emphasis right now.  Have all the bases covered, deep enough to last for awhile plus renew the more essential items like water and gardens for the next two-three years.
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 9:39am
I just bought 200 lbs of hydrated lime. We use it to adjust the PH in the garden, as a deodorant in the out house and as an insect/rodent repellent in the root cellar.
Buy more ammo!
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:26am
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

Thanks for the info, Med. So do you think that it'd be in my best interest with the valve issue, I also have asymptomatic tachycardia, if offered antibiotics again, to discourage the Zithromax ones? The doctors don't always look at my records before prescribing me things as they have tried to give me medicines I have known bad reactions to.

If you have concerns, the best advice is get a second opinion from another medical doctor. This may have been posted here, but here is another article on the over prescription of antibiotics.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/20/a-nightmare-health-scenario-we-can-stop/?hpt=hp_bn2

With the amount of new drugs, even old antibiotics, it would be challenging for anyone to know the full spectrum of interaction with other medications if they did not personally review all of your medications and look for interactions.

Medclinician

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2013 at 10:30am
Collecting various intelligence, species, knowledge and experience. The very dangerous deadly and bad. The centered, happy and glad. The ignorant, blind, dumb and the sad.

Yes, I see a place for all of them in my November prepping. After all, this is the inhueman month of November. The time of Thanksgiving for all people, places and things; large, invisible and small. There is room for all behind each reasonable, rational wall. Hug
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Crying Out Loud Crying Out Loud wrote:

Collecting various intelligence, species, knowledge and experience. The very dangerous deadly and bad. The centered, happy and glad. The ignorant, blind, dumb and the sad.

Yes, I see a place for all of them in my November prepping. After all, this is the inhueman month of November. The time of Thanksgiving for all people, places and things; large, invisible and small. There is room for all behind each reasonable, rational wall. Hug

Why don't you just leave! Your posts are nonsense and you contribute nothing.
Newbie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 5:24pm
I'm trying to get a hand pump onto a well here... one would think "this shouldn't be too difficult" but apparently...it is Confused bummer!
Hoping to survive what mother nature throws at us (for stomping all over her)!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic