Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

December prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: December prepping
    Posted: December 05 2013 at 6:47pm
So what is everyone working on this month?  I am currently working on nothing, we are currently stuck in the house in an ice/snow storm and hoping the electricity doesn't go out. Overnight low's are scheduled to be in the single digits tomorrow night, the teens tonight and the wind chills are in the single digits, it's cold! Since I was pretty much stocked up on everything already, my last minute trip to the store consisted of grapes, apples, cheese and a case a water, all which I could have done without, but since they are saying this is going to last awhile, I figured I wanted my fresh fruit, lol.

Is anybody going to by prepping items for Christmas gifts? I always buy everyone flashlights and batteries every year because they seem to lose them or break them or do something with them, lol. But I am not sure what else I am giving.
Crying Out Loud View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crying Out Loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 7:00pm
There have  been some so called "friends" who have been trying to get me banned from this site.
They have done this before, and now my I.P. is blocked on other forums.

They are my friends, but they get tired of me using their computers. Mine has been damaged for quite some time. I can't even log on. My old writings are on it, and I believe they are lost. I am sorry if they hurt any one. They are sorry that you have not banned my I.P. Stay well folks.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 8:58pm
This month I am working on my pet preps. I have two young cats (my cat babies lol), so I am working on getting a few 16lbs bags on standby (I'll probably buy some containers for them at Home Depot). Aside from that, getting the some allergy and calming medicine (they both have allergies and one has anxiety). Other than that, They are good on pet wipes to keep them clean.  I am working on my paper products, and I just cleaned out my fridge and have room to add more meat and frozen veg. I go through my meat in segments, as I repackage/vacuum seal and date everything I buy. More water. Also,setting up a BOB for my S.O. as he doesn't have one lol Even if we never needed to use it, and also that'd be a last resort. It'd be comforting to have one, because we have had to evacuate our dorms and campus apartments a couple of times due to flooding. I think that is it for me, for now. Hope you can stay warm as possible, Penham. Take care! I remember reading your blackout topic in the swineflu.org page. As for gifts, I got my father a utility knife, and my S.O. a new pair of cross-trainers (not sure if it'd be considered a prep gift, but he needed some sturdy new shoes that can be used for different occasions as his current shoes are weak and holey)
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 2:36am

Walmart on line has Augason Farms long term storage foods

they recently have dropped prices on a lot of these items

good time to pick up a few cases

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 7:19pm

great site for inexpensive water filtration kits

http://www.homespunenvironmental.com/

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 12:53pm
Bought a pack of two N95 grade masks from Kmart yesterday. They are normally 5.99$, but were on sale for 2.43$. It was the only one left, somehow. Decided to grab it, one for me and one for the S.O. I asked them when they were going to be getting more and they just said, I don't know. Apparently, some people come in buying them in blocks of 6 boxes or more. It was a decent find. Got 30 double rolls of Charmin Basic TP for about 12.99$, saved 5$ on that, (they were almost sold out of those too, save for one pack they found in the back for me, and one that was on the shelves all ripped up and obviously picked through) got paper towels and plates, more wet cat food. Now I am waiting for the chance to get the dry food on sale.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 1:02pm

check ebay for N95 masks

I've picked up a couple of cases cheap

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 2:43pm
Just went to the doctors and a lot of people are walking around wearing masks. I don't think it's anything too significant - most likely just people getting more clued into the importance of wearing them around others that might be sick. I have a couple of hundred 3M N95's that I picked up at 80% discount when a local home improvement store relocated, and a couple of boxes of smaller ones for my son. Probably a good idea to stock up if you haven't already.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Just went to the doctors and a lot of people are walking around wearing masks. I don't think it's anything too significant - most likely just people getting more clued into the importance of wearing them around others that might be sick. I have a couple of hundred 3M N95's that I picked up at 80% discount when a local home improvement store relocated, and a couple of boxes of smaller ones for my son. Probably a good idea to stock up if you haven't already.

That reminds me of my time as a student ambassador in Japan. It's really common to walk around in masks there, but you do it here and everyone looks at  you like the plague... They sell the kind they wear in this little Japanese store by my school since it's right next to the Extension center where most the international students live. Most my school's students come from Japan, Korea, China, and Saudi Arabia. I've worked with all types. I'm gonna search Amazon to see if they have more of the masks since almost every time I am at Kmart (I live about a 5 min walk from it), they don't have any. I've seen the kind for children on Amazon before, they look kind of cute. I don't have any kids yet though. My school's health center also gives those cheap thin masks as well, once I went in for my TB test results, and almost everyone had masks on. Maybe it's slowly becoming more accepted here in the states. Would a surplus store have something like that?
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2013 at 12:06pm
I just sorted out a cupboard that I keep supplies of cleaning products in. At the back, on the top shelf are bottles of bleach. When I bought them I remember thinking perhaps I should decant them into glass bottles for long term storage - but I didn't. well, when I took them down from the shelf, 2 of them had started leaking, one quite badly and the bleach has eaten almost through the wooden shelf. I'm going to decant the rest into wine bottles with screw on lids to stop any further wastage.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
carl h View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 4:15pm
   Bleach has a shelf life and you should use bleach in 6 months to use it at it's  full rated  strength . I would always use old products  first and replace them with new. Rotate you stock. You can use it in the laundry or for home made cleaners/ germ killer.

You can find info if you search  " shelf life of bleach " . Clorox has some interesting facts and  info there.  Carl H
edprof View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edprof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:21am
Working on balance among all preps.  We don't want to find ourselves unable to bake the flour etc. we have saved because of a lack of cooking oil or of baking soda, for example.  Or we don't want to find outselves unable to use a generator because of a lack of oil for oil changes.  Among all our prepping categories, we are carefully looking for "squeeze points" that could keep us from using what we otherwise have. 
Oftentimes the Lord helps those who help themselves.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:39am
edprof - smart move Thumbs Up
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 8:44pm
edprof, get yourself a recipe for sourdough bread. You can make almost anything with sourdough. Google how to make a sourdough starter there are may ways. Only need whole grain wheat and water. I am going to get the King Arthur starter recipe and their suggestions. Have others just like having lots of different ideas.

I have tried to go back to the old ways of the west when people had nothing and made food. Don't get me wrong I have lots of freeze dry food but to use it I want to do it the old ways over the wood fire or solar oven. Just my way everyone is different.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 12:16am
The benefit of using a sourdough starter is that you don't have to buy yeast.

I was told that it changes color over time, but that shouldn't be a problem.

?? Has anyone tried to make bread with dried eggs instead of fresh?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 10:34am
Elver,yes. It works. You can also use powdered milk. Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 11:05am
Elver,I meant that powdered eggs can be used in place of fresh eggs and you can used powdered milk in place of fresh milk. Some of my friends are already cooking like this. Johnray1
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 12:02pm
Elver,powdered butter can also be used in place of fresh butter.Johnray1
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 12:11pm
You can also substitute apple sauce, bananas, etc for eggs in the sense of baking. I substitute things all the time, but it also depends on what you are making, what you can substitute for. http://chefinyou.com/egg-substitutes-cooking/
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the feedback & that great chart of substitutions! I have powdered eggs, but haven't tried them in bread yet. I guess if you can grind wheat berries and have powdered milk and eggs then it shouldn't be a problem.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 7:41pm
I use powdered eggs all the time. When I'm baking I use them, then when I make scrambled eggs, I mix them half and half with regular eggs to make them stretch farther. I have a relative that gives me powdered eggs that they receive through commodities, so I get them free.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 6:00pm

just some good websites you may want to investigate and bookmark

http://undergroundmedic.com/

http://armageddonmedicine.net/

http://www.doomandbloom.net/

invaluable information

http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/

i have purchased several of their manuals

EXCELLENT resources for WTSHTF

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 6:33pm
FluMom, have a look at the Little House on the Prairie cookbook for old time cooking. It's a good read.

Elver, what kind of bread do you make with eggs in it? I did start a sourdough once and kept it going for 6 months and used it for bread. It was just an experiment to see if it would work, and it did work really well. I kept mine in the middle of the kitchen table in a pottery casserole dish with a lid.

Yeast: I'd recommend those freeze dried sachets of yeast. They are more expensive than buying a tub of yeast but last much longer if not opened.

I have our Christmas cake in the oven right now and two trays of mince pies waiting to go in (we need some to put out for Santa tonight). 

Happy Christmas everyone.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 9:27pm
Just got down my copy of volume one of "The Foxfire Book". The series is a gotta have for preppers.   Covers such as log cabin building, an ole chair maker shows how, mountain crafts and foods, preserving vegetables, planting by the signs, dressing and cooking wild animal foods and moonshining as a fine art. Available on Amazon.

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 5:01am

another great preparedness resource

LDS PREPAREDNESS MANUAL:

https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html

free download or order a hard copy at cost

this manual does continue Mormon theology interspersed throughout

but don't let this deter you

this is an EXCELLENT resource

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2013 at 8:23am
Seawolfe - I think that's the volume I just ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the tip
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic