Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Lethal Montgomery Co. H1N1 Now Spreading?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lethal Montgomery Co. H1N1 Now Spreading?
    Posted: December 19 2013 at 5:31am

Euless man dies of swine flu; shares similarities with 'mystery illnesses' outside Houston

by JANET ST. JAMES / WFAA

WFAA

Posted on December 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

EULESS -- Looking at photographs shown at her husband's funeral is so very hard for Ashley Wright.

"He was too young,” she said. "I should not be a widow at 30... So, it's pretty devastating."

Dustin Wright, 30, came down with flu-like symptoms just before Thanksgiving. Ashley said he seemed to be getting better, before taking a sudden turn for the worse.

"Every breath was a struggle for him,” she recalled. “Every single breath. And I woke him up at 11:30, and his lips were purple and his fingers were purple, and he was like a green color -- like he was just changing colors."

Ashley said she insisted they go immediately to the emergency room. Dustin was admitted to Baylor Grapevine on Nov. 25, placed on life support in the ICU, and strapped into a rotating bed that helps break up fluid in the lungs from pneumonia.

At first, flu tests were inconclusive.

"The second time they checked him, he came back positive for Influenza A, Influenza B,” Wright said.

Dustin suffered kidney failure, which has been associated with severe cases of H1N1 Type A, or swine flu. He had no known underlying medical conditions.

His case has many similarities to cases in Montgomery County that puzzled doctors this week. Of eight cases in that county, four patients have died.

Wednesday afternoon, Montgomery County health officials said one surviving patient tested positive for H1N1. Two other surviving patients tested negative for H1N1 and results are still pending for the fourth.

"So what we're doing now is we're retesting those patients who tested negative from the private lab," Montgomery County Medical Director Dr. Mark Escott said. "And those samples will be sent to the state and the CDC for confirmation testing."

The illnesses started with flu-like symptoms, then progressed to pneumonia and, in some cases, organ failure. They all initially tested negative for the flu.

The mother of one of the patients who died in Montgomery County, which is north of Houston, spoke to WFAA sister station KHOU Wednesday.

She said her son, Dathany Reed, wasn’t feeling well on Thanksgiving and went to see doctors, who sent him home with several prescriptions. He was admitted to the hospital’s emergency room the next day and ended up on life support. Dathany’s 41st birthday came and went on November 30 while his kidneys and other organs deteriorated.

Family members said goodbye to the father of three on Dec. 5, a week after he went to the emergency room.

Dustin Wright died 10 days after being admitted to the hospital.

He had not gotten a flu shot. H1N1 is one of the viruses included in this year's shot.

"I'll never look at this the same ever again for sure,” Ashley said. “Always just get your flu shot, because you never know."

Adult influenza deaths do not need to be reported to the county health department, so precise numbers of North Texas deaths from influenza are unknown. Pediatric deaths, by law, must be reported.

Children and pregnant women were more susceptible to serious complications from H1N1 swine flu during the outbreak in 2009.

Dustin Wright was 30 years old. He leaves behind a wife who loves him, and a 9-year-old son he called his "best friend."

John L
John L. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 6:40am

Serous flu complications in younger adults, even deaths, are being reported to the state Department of Health.

Officials said today ina news release they’ve received several reports from clinical partners throughout the state of serious complications or deaths from flu in younger adults. “The only type of flu identified in Mississippi so far this year is the 2009 influenza A H1N1 strain, which has in past years primarily affected those under 65 years of age,” state epidemiologist Dr. Thomas Dobbs said.

“This year, we’ve received reports of serious complications and some deaths associated with influenza infection in those under 65. During the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, 80 percent of the deaths were in people younger than 65, unlike a typical flu season in which the majority of deaths occur in those 65 and older.”

The good news is that this year’s flu vaccination includes coverage for this particular strain, Dobbs said in the release.

“It’s not too late. We are still in the early stages of our traditional flu season. It’s vital that all Mississippians – not just the very young and the very old – get vaccinated against flu,” he said.

While individual flu cases and flu-related deaths in adults are not reported to the department, the agency monitors flu activity through the Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Sentinel Surveillance System, made up of healthcare providers in Mississippi such as family practice clinics, student health centers, pediatricians, primary care physicians, and hospital emergency departments who report the percentage of patients with flu-like symptoms to a statewide database.

Seasonal flu vaccinations are recommended for anyone age six months and older, and are available at all county health departments. Those particularly at risk for influenza complications include young children, adults 50 and older, pregnant women, and those with chronic illnesses. Vaccination of healthcare personnel and caregivers of vulnerable individuals is especially important.

Symptoms of seasonal flu include fever, cough, and often, extreme fatigue. Sore throat, headache, muscle aches, and a runny or stuffy nose are also often present. More severe symptoms and death can also occur.

While vaccination is the best protection, basic infection control measures can also reduce the spread of flu. These measures include covering your mouth when coughing and sneezing, staying at home when you or your children are sick, and washing your hands frequently.

To locate a county health department clinic or for more information on flu and pneumonia, go to http://www.healthyms.com/ - www.HealthyMS.com. Follow the Department of Health by e-mail and social media at HealthyMS.com/connect.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:28am
Certainly seems like we're dealing with a virulent variant of h1n1. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:47am
I should also add that a good friend contacted me from Houston just a few minutes ago stating that someone 30 miles from him has been "confined" with swine flu.  Seems a little drastic. This thing is getting crazier by the hour. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Certainly seems like we're dealing with a virulent variant of h1n1. 

It's starting to look that way, Albert. I had a feeling that this year's strain was a doozy because I felt a lot crappier than usual after the flu shot, and despite getting vaccinated I'm a week into one of the worst bouts of flu I've had. If something considerably worse has mutated from the seasonal strain, that would be a nasty virus.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:43pm
Someone from my work had it last year and they said it was a mild flu
John L. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 1:10pm
     Jacksdad, I hope you are not an early example of what is usually termed "vaccine breakthrough."  This is when a known flu strain mutates to vaccine/immune evasion, really bad news.  We already have evidence of mutated H1N1 resistant to Tamiflu in Louisiana, but not of vacccine breakthrough- yet.  Feel better, best, John L.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 1:26pm
Thanks John. I am getting better - in a few days I'll be all but recovered hopefully. Worst sore throat I ever experienced in the first day or two, and I didn't start to spike a fever until I was three days in. Very long and drawn out, with every flu symptom waiting in line for their turn.
I really wouldn't recommend it Wink
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 2:01pm
jacksda,I had H1N1 the first year that it made it's rounds and I was very sick. It was not something that you just took a couple of Tylenol and went to bed and got up feeling O.K. I was sick for 3 months. I wheezed so much for so long,that when I did get well, I had PFTs done to see how much lung damage was done. Surprisingly,there was no permanent damage. Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 3:51pm
Glad you had a good outcome. I was lucky enough to miss it the first time around, and what I have right now is nothing compared to how sick some people did get back in 2009. Catching it after the vaccine kind of took me by surprise though, but I did the same with the pneumovax shot - got the vaccine a few years ago for the first time and caught pneumonia six months later Disapprove
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 6:06pm
well when I had it in 2009 I was VERY sick.  weak as a baby, dizzy, fever, chills, etc.  To this day, if I get any congestion at all I get dizzy when I'm in bed and turn my head to the right.  I've been told it's inner ear problems and will just take time to clear up.  I never had it before that flu and I had the light headness and dizziness really badly.

Glad yours wasn't too bad Jacksdad.

jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 7:04pm

The below article is one of the first referencing how CDC is looking at the possibility of subtle changes in the virus.  But also remember, the WHO recently recalculated H1N1 as more lethal than earlier thought in 2009.  Perhaps Texas is simply getting the s--t kicked out of it by this flu, and the rest of us soon to follow.  Here in New York we just went to "widespread"  illness.  John L.

by Jeremy Desel / KHOU 11 News and KHOU.com staff

khou.com

Posted on December 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Updated today at 6:07 PM

HOUSTON – At least three people in Harris County have died from the H1N1 flu virus, according to the Harris County Health Department.

The Harris County patients were all men, ages 45, 50 and 53. Two of them had underlying health issues, including cardiovascular disease and obesity.

H1N1 is suspected in at least nine other deaths in eight regional hospitals, and that number is expected to grow quickly.

Four of those cases were at Conroe Regional Medical Center. Two patients that died in Beaumont likely had H1N1. We are waiting to learn the location of the other three deaths.

More than a dozen people have become critically ill from H1N1 in Harris, Montgomery and Jefferson counties, including four patients at Conroe Regional Medical Center.

The state health department issued an influenza health alert Friday and urged all Texans over the age of six months to get a flu vaccine. It takes about two weeks for the vaccine to be effective.

If you have flu-like symptoms, you should see your doctor within the first 48 hours so that you can be given Tamiflu.

Most of the flu cases seen in Texas so far have been identified as H1N1, which is included in this year’s vaccine.

It’s the same strain of H1N1 that caused a pandemic in 2009.

The CDC has already offered assistance on testing of the patients who have died and those who are critically ill. Its tests can offer valuable information.

"They can also look for differences in sub-type to see if there may be some subtle differences between the strains we're seeing now and the strains that we've seen before," said Dr. Mark Escot, the Montgomery County Health Director.

Those tests could go a long way in explaining why this strain seems to be more potent.

The illnesses started with flu-like symptoms, and then progressed to pneumonia and, in some cases, organ failure. All of the patients initially tested negative for the flu.

Doctors are being asked to use a more reliable, but costly and time-consuming test on patients who have flu-like symptoms

John L
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 2:36am
 I am monitoring the issue of possible vaccine breakthrough as I see  Albert is considering raising our DEFCON level within a few weeks, and I see the two issues as related.  I am seeing limited reports of vaccinated people getting very sick, but no evidence of full breakthrough as yet-remember the flu shot is a weak 60% vaccine even when it works.  I would definitely get it and you can enhance your odds of being part of that 60% greatly with such things as aerobic exercise within hours of the shot, also ginseng, garlic preparations.  These strategies have been shown to greatly increase antibody response.  My flu injection, is going to work.   
     Especially as Tamiflu breakthrough with strains in the Southern USA IS DOCUMENTED, all new cases there should be being put on Relenza, not Tamiflu.
     A known mutation called D225G makes H1N1 more lethal.  If this mutation is becoming universal now, again, a big problem leading us towards possible DEFCON 5 to come.  Best, John L.
John L
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 2:50am

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Fewer-cases-of-H1N1-flu-but-its-still-packing-a-punch-236817861.html

PORTLAND, Ore. – Around the Thanksgiving holiday, Dennis, his wife Sandy, and their two adult children came down with what appeared to be colds.

Dennis and his children got better, but Sandy didn’t and nearly a month later is in critical condition, hanging on to life, at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

She hadn’t gotten a flu shot yet.

Dennis had gotten one through his work and his two children got theirs after their mom got sick.

"The hardest part was actually having my two adult kids come in and see mom and then leave the room crying," Dennis said during a news conference at Legacy Friday afternoon. "It just tore me up."

The family asked that their last names not be used.

Doctors at the hospital said they are doing everything they can to help Sandy get well. Doctors and Dennis said there are encouraging signs she will pull through but she remains on life support.

Officials at Legacy Health say they’ve treated a handful of patients for the flu this year, specifically the H1N1 strain.

"We're very much in middle of flu season," said Dr. Brian Young, a critical care physician. "It's clearly hit here in Portland. … If you ask me, I think we're on the upswing of our curve (in the number of flu cases)."

In 2009 there was a pandemic of H1N1. This year’s strain is affecting fewer people, but health officials say some cases have been serious and life threatening.

"This year, similar to 2009, we’re seeing patients that also have very, very serious pneumonias, respiratory failure," Young said.

Health officials say the flu season lasts for months but there is still time to get your flu shot to help prevent the illness.

"The most important thing – the message I want to get out there is, get your flu shot," Young said. "That’s the best thing that you can do to help yourself to prevent getting the flu. It’s also protective for those around you."

He added that good and frequent hand-washing, covering mouths when coughing and staying home when sick will help keep people from getting the flu.

He said the vaccine is a good match to the strains circulating this year.

Don Strick, with Clark County Public Health, said there have been six confirmed cases of flu in the last two weeks in the county. Three of them are confirmed to be H1N1, but the other three may also be H1N1 because some labs don’t differentiate subtypes.

"H1N1 seems to be the most widely circulating flu virus this year."

John L
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:57am
We just had lunch yesterday with a friend who developed vomiting and diarrhea afterwards so we are concerned about getting the flu ourselves. The incubation period is 1 to 4 days, but typically 2. H1N1 symptoms in adults include vomiting and diarrhea. 95% of flu cases in Colorado are H1N1. Our friend callled Kaiser to get in today, but he was told that 80 people were ahead of him.
jdljr1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdljr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 12:42pm
     I fear the situation is only going to worsen for the immediate future.  Best of luck avoiding illness!  John L.
John L
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

We just had lunch yesterday with a friend who developed vomiting and diarrhea afterwards so we are concerned about getting the flu ourselves. The incubation period is 1 to 4 days, but typically 2. H1N1 symptoms in adults include vomiting and diarrhea. 95% of flu cases in Colorado are H1N1. Our friend callled Kaiser to get in today, but he was told that 80 people were ahead of him.

Last week me, my friend, and my family all contracted some sort of 24 hour stomach bug. None of us came down with flu symptoms but I've noticed a lot of gastro bugs going around in Colorado lately.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 2:17pm
Where in Colorado are you? I'm in south Denver area.
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

Where in Colorado are you? I'm in south Denver area.

I'm in south Denver as well. About a 15 minute drive from downtown.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 6:46pm
We all had a terrible flu 12 weeks ago and it's only in the last 10 days or so that we've felt normal again. It took 3 weeks for the flu symptoms to go, another couple of weeks for the cough to go and then we were just left feeling incredibly tired. 

Can you catch the same flu twice does anyone know?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 7:13pm
Huge amount of Noro virus in Denver. Bet that is what your friend had Elver my school the kids were throwing up all over the place. YUCK, I just hope I stay well through Christmas.

Problem is that people go to work and they are contagious for 2 weeks after Noro virus. Now they have to get saliva, sneezing or cough or not wash their hands after using the bathroom....many people especially men don't wash their hands.   If any of these people work in restaurants you can get it from there.

I have been staying out of restaurants and washing my hands a lot.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 11:45pm
Thanks for the info Flu mom. Either way I don't like to throw up and we could have caught it from him. I cleaned the toilet today just in case we end up praying to the toilet God.

I read that you aren't likely to be contagious after about 3 or 4 days.

When I went on the cruise to China, Japan, and S. Korea back in April our ship was hit really hard with norovirus. The hazmat crew had to clean my cabin if you can imagine. You couldn't touch a railing anywhere as they were all soaking wet. You couldn't walk down any hallway without someone squirting hand sanitizer in our hands. Luckily this happened in the 2nd week and I got a mild case which didn't last long. We were self quarantined in our cabins for 1 day. If you had a shore excursion and they knew you were sick, you were red flagged at the ships exit and they wouldn't let you leave. This happened to me because the doctor couldn't clear people in time. I was able to leave, but they had to call the doctor's office to make sure my quarantine period was over. Every single person at our dinner table got sick 1 at a time. Each night we were missing somebody else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic