Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taiwan reports 2nd case of imported H7N9 in 2013 (
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Taiwan reports 2nd case of imported H7N9 in 2013 (

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taiwan reports 2nd case of imported H7N9 in 2013 (
    Posted: December 31 2013 at 6:41am
Taiwan reports 2nd case of imported H7N9 in 2013 (update)

Taipei, Dec. 31 (CNA) Health authorities confirmed Tuesday that a Chinese tourist in Taiwan has been infected with the H7N9 strain of bird flu, marking the second imported H7N9 infection this year.

The infected, an 86-year-old man from Jiangsu Province, is still in Taiwan receiving treatment, though most of his 25-person tour group has already returned to China, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

Two of his daughters have stayed with him but have thus far shown no symptoms associated with the virus.

The man entered Taiwan Dec. 17 and began showing symptoms two days later, starting with a loss of appetite. On Dec. 23, he reported tightness of the chest before being rushed to an emergency room the next day, where he was put on a ventilator to treat pneumonia.

An infectious diseases experts familiar with the case said he was not surprised by the second case of H7N9 coming from China following the first back in April.

Even so, this patient's symptoms were slightly different from previously reported infections, indicating that doctors still face some difficulty in diagnosing the virus, he added.

The man's infection could mean that H7N9 has become prevalent across all of southern China even though, puzzlingly, major duck and chicken farms in the region have been found disease-free.

"Beware of the virus if you see any ducks in the Jiangnan (south of the Yangtze River) area," he cautioned.

(By Chen Ching-fang and Wesley Holzer)
ENDITEM/sc
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201312310045.aspx
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2013 at 8:27pm
Good find, arirish Thumbs Up

Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

The man's infection could mean that H7N9 has become prevalent across all of southern China...

That's a little confusing, because Jiangsu Province isn't in the south - it's actually north of Shanghai.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 10:14am
Man, 86, may have picked up H9N2 bird flu at Shenzhen market

Mainland health officials believe the Shenzhen-based Hong Kong man infected with H9N2 bird flu is likely to have contracted the virus at a market that he visited every day.

But the live poultry stall at the wet market near where the 86-year-old patient lived was open again yesterday after briefly closing for disinfection.

He Hianfeng of the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention of Guangdong said yesterday that the man visited the market every day although he did not come into contact with live poultry.

The man was in a stable condition yesterday under isolation in Princess Margaret Hospital.

An infectious diseases expert warned, meanwhile, that without more stringent controls on mainland chickens, more Hongkongers were likely to be infected with the H9N2, H7N9 and H10N8 bird flu strains.

"Three different strains of bird flu appear to be spreading from birds to humans this year. It shows that the virus has been very active," University of Hong Kong microbiologist Professor Yuen Kwok-yung said.

"Since there is a large number of live poultry on the mainland, the chance of cross-infection will increase too, and there may be a higher chance of it spreading to humans."

Fifty-one medical staff at North District Hospital, where the man sought help after crossing the border, and an officer who handled the man on his entry at Lo Wu control point remained under medical surveillance.

But the Hong Kong Centre for Health Protection said his home contacts in Shenzhen had not displayed any symptoms so far. One hospital staff member developed a cough and sore throat, the centre's spokesman said.

Influenza A viruses including H9N2 can infect humans from contaminated environments since they can persist on inanimate surfaces for 12 hours to two days, according to a research paper by Yuen and his team.

"Visits to wet markets without direct contact with poultry have been shown to be an independent risk factor for acquiring avian influenza A," they wrote, adding that many H9N2 infections might have been overlooked due to the relatively mild symptoms in patients with normal immunity.

The paper, published in the Journal of Infection in 2011, said the virus had adapted to land-based poultry in Southeast Asia and had also been detected in pigs in the region.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1394228/man-86-may-have-picked-h9n2-bird-flu-shenzhen-market
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 10:56am
This is a different case. right? The age is the same, but this is an H9N2 infection. Still worrying to see so many viruses jumping to humans and causing sickness.

"An infectious diseases expert warned, meanwhile, that without more stringent controls on mainland chickens, more Hongkongers were likely to be infected with the H9N2, H7N9 and H10N8 bird flu strains".

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 11:37am
The whole thing in China just scares the hell out of me! There are so many strains circulating in chickens, hogs and humans, and they all live in such close proximity, sooner or later there's bound to be an explosion!
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 12:13pm
Absolutely. Can you imagine how jittery they must be at the WHO right now, wondering where to look and which strain to be focusing on, and all the while knowing that they're being fed only as much information as the Chinese authorities feel like releasing? And something about China allows these viruses to expand their territory seemingly unhindered. Look at H7N9 - it went from Shanghai all the way down to Guangdong and a good ways east into the central part of the country with still no vector identified. Half a billion pigs, tens of billions of chickens, ducks and geese, not to mention a population that likes their food warm and freshly killed (and still harboring live virus). Not exactly getting a warm, fuzzy feeling about the situation in China right now Stern Smile
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 12:22pm
And how long before H1N1 crosses the Big Pond again and adds to the mix? It's been said many times here "Not if but when"? I believe it's inevitable!
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 12:44pm
That sucker has the genetic material necessary to spread very efficiently, and it's not limited geographically and will reach China soon if it's not already circulating. I read somewhere that all H3N2v viruses now have the 2009 H1N1 M gene that's believed to be key to increased transmission, so reassortment has been shown to be possible with this virus. While H1N1 itself doesn't look like a pandemic candidate to me, it has what the other strains need to make the jump.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 1:20pm
I agree with you about H1N1. So many people had it in '09 and the vaccine is a good match so unless something changes in it's make up it's nothing more than a very serious seasonal flu. It's very serious though! A friend of mines very healthy 30 year old son went to work Monday morning and with in hours had to leave because of headache and fever. By Tuesday he was so weak he could hardly stand. They took him to the hospital Tuesday afternoon. He did not get a flu shot! This bug hits fast and hard!   
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 1:40pm
I got the flu shot and I've been sick with flu like symptoms for almost a month, and I still have a nasty productive cough. Never had anything hang on this long. I work in healthcare and we have a few patients that are showing flu symptoms. One of them has a cough that sounds as though it starts in his boots, and I don't think we're showing up on the list of states reporting increased activity yet.
CStackDrPH View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CStackDrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

The whole thing in China just scares the hell out of me! There are so many strains circulating in chickens, hogs and humans, and they all live in such close proximity, sooner or later there's bound to be an explosion!

Exactly!  China is basically a huge virus-generating machine.  Don't forget that neighboring countries such as Viet Nam have a similar "wet market" method of selling live poultry & other stuff to the populace.  *cough, hack, sniff*

This is a new report from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) about H7N9 containment & monitoring in Southeast Asia.  GREAT pictures!!  Highly recommended reading....

CRS, DrPH
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 3:35pm
jacksdad,when I had this flu a few years ago,it held on for three months. I wish you well.John
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 5:44pm
John - if it drags on much longer (or I think I have a chest infection/bronchitis/pneumonia starting) it'll be off to the docs to get some antibiotics. For now I'm staying hydrated, and using an albuterol inhaler and mucinex to try to clear my chest. The cough is driving me nuts and once I start it goes on and on, but I'm keeping an eye on my temperature and making sure what I'm coughing up is staying clear. So far I'm good, but I've had enough chest infections and a bout of pneumonia to know it can progress quickly. My wife wants me to go now, but I'm a guy, so...
And thank you
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 7:49pm
Jacksdad,if  your sputum changes colors,see your doctor or call him. He knows that two Z-packs back to back will help you. But it sounds to me like that you should have already started them. This  is another problem that I run up against on a regular basis. If I use antibiotics when it is not necessary,then I am helping to make bugs immune to the antibiotics,if I do not use antibiotics,then the patient dies or is in the ICU for a long time with a huge hospital bill. So, I have decided to make the mistake on the side of safety,I give the antibiotics because I am comparable to a soldier in the trenches. I have to shoot the bullets that I have to keep me and my people alive and I depend on the guys in the Ivory Tower medical centers to come up with new antibiotics. It takes both of us to keep people alive. I will not watch my people die when there is one chance in a million that my decision,may save their lives. I know that just about every primary care physician in this country faces this decision everyday.I have decided which way I will go.---- If your Dr. does not see you or at least talk to you and decide on what is best for you,change Dr.s. There is not always a correct decision,but there is always the best decision that you can make with the information that you have.Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 8:11pm
My doctor's good and I'm sure he'd write me prescription if I called him. No change of color yet so I'm waiting to see if things improve (I'm not getting worse, fortunately). I'm hesitant to start an antibiotic regimen because of the reasons you mentioned, although I'm not so naive to think that one person holding off will turn the tide of drug resistant bacteria, especially given the amount that we're prophylactically administering to food animals. But if I see anything that makes me think this is progressing in the wrong direction I'll call my MD immediately. Thanks again, John Thumbs Up
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2014 at 8:15pm
Jacksdad,good thinking.Remember that the most important life in this world is your life and everyone has to think like that.It will do no one any good if you set at home and die because you want to save the world from antibiotic resistance. If and when it happens, it will happen any way.So think of yourself. Johnray1
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 2:34am

Hundreds monitored in Taiwan after bird flu case

Updated Thu 2 Jan 2014, 3:12am AEDT

Officials in Taiwan say authorities are monitoring hundreds of people who may have had contact with a mainland Chinese tourist infected with the H7N9 strain of bird flu.

The 86-year-old man from the eastern Chinese province of Jiangsu is in stable condition in hospital in Taiwan, where he was on an eight-day tour, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said in a statement.

As many as 500 people may have had contact with him, all of whom are being asked to report to doctors should they develop possible symptoms, the statement added.

The 149 people who may have had close contact include two family members accompanying him on the tour, the tour guide, bus driver, medical personnel and patients sharing the same hospital ward, it said.

"Three medical personnel have shown symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections and taken medicines as preventative treatment," the statement said, adding that they should monitor their condition for two weeks while awaiting the outcome of tests.

They have not been placed in quarantine.

Taiwan in April reported the first H7N9 case outside mainland China, after a 53-year-old man who had been working in the eastern Chinese city of Suzhou showed symptoms three days after returning to Taiwan via Shanghai.

The Taiwanese government has issued a travel advisory for residents planning to travel to China, upgrading Jiangsu to "alert" level.

Guangdong province in the southeast has also been placed in the alert category.

An 80-year-old man infected with the H7N9 strain died on Thursday in Hong Kong, the first H7N9 death in the city since the virus emerged there last month.

He had been taken to hospital after returning to Hong Kong from the neighbouring city of Shenzhen in mainland China, where he lived.

Taiwan's CDC warned people to avoid touching and feeding birds or visiting markets with live poultry when visiting Chinese regions with H7N9 cases.

AFP

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 8:10am
I think it's telling that unlike China (who would apparently risk everything rather than lose face), Taiwan seems to be scrambling to contain any further spread of H7N9 and issuing travel advisories for the worst affected regions. Makes you realize that it's far more of a danger than the Chinese authorities would have us believe. Taiwan clearly understands that if it does go fully H2H within their borders and large clusters appear, it'll happen with little or no warning and from that point containment will no longer be an option.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 8:22am
55 people on preventive medication over H7N9 concerns

Taipei, Jan. 2 (CNA) Fifty-five of the 163 people known to have come into close contact with a Chinese tourist infected with the H7N9 strain of avian flu have begun taking preventive medication, a Centers for Disease Control (CDC) official said Thursday.

Among them were three medical care providers who began to show respiratory symptoms and were asked to stay at home for self-health management, said CDC Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang.

In addition, Chuang said, sputumn samples were collected from them for testing.

"They all tested negative," Chuang said after the examination results became available around Thursday noon, showing that none of the trio were infected with the virus.

The infected Chinese tourist, 86, arrived in Taipei Dec. 17 last year and was hospitalized Dec. 24 for treatment for pneumonia. He had visited major tourist destinations in seven cities and counties around Taiwan before his hospitalization.

The CDC confirmed Dec. 31 that the elderly man, from China's Jiangsu Province, was infected with the deadly H7N9 virus, marking Taiwan's second imported H7N9 infection.

Chuang said the man is currently in a "serious yet stable condition."

Epidemiological survey results as of Thursday morning showed that 663 people had been in contact with the man, Chuang said.

Of them, 163 had what doctors described as close contact with him, and had sputum samples taken for testing.

Moreover, 55 were deemed to at particularly high risk of infection, including his two daughters, tour guide, bus driver, hotel staff and the three medical care providers, all of whom began a 10-day course of Tamiflu Tuesday as a preventive measure, Chuang said.

As the virus spreads mainly through bird-to-human transmission, the possibility of those with close contact with the man falling victim to infection should be low, Chuang went on, adding that neither of the man's two daughters had so far shown any symptoms.

Nevertheless, he cautioned China-bound travelers to stay away from live poultry markets during their trips.

The H7N9 strain was confirmed to have made the jump from birds to humans for the first time in March 2013, when China's state media revealed that two people in Shanghai had died after being infected with the virus the previous month.

Other deaths soon followed, prompting officials to shut down meat markets and cull poultry in several Chinese cities amid fears of a potential epidemic. However, the WHO said earlier that there had been no evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission of the virus.

The number of human H7N9 infections in China has dropped significantly in recent months. As of early November, there had been 139 confirmed human cases of H7N9 and 45 deaths reported since April, according to the WHO.

Taiwan's first imported H7N9 case was reported last April, involving a Taiwanese businessman who fell ill after returning from a trip to Jiangsu Province. He made a full recovery after a month of intensive treatment.

(By Chen Ching-fang and Sofia Wu)
ENDITEM/J
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aedu/201401020024.aspx
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 8:32am
Hopefully having a giant rubber duckie explode in a Taiwanese harbor isn't considered bad luck... Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic