Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

January prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January prepping
    Posted: January 01 2014 at 11:00pm
A new year, a new start! Does anyone have any new years resolutions involving prepping? For the month of January I would like to get my pantry and kitchen cabinets organized. My pantry is a huge mess, I have tons of food, but it is just stacked in there, no organization at all. It would be beneficial for it to be sorted and organized. So that is my goal for this month. Organization! What about everyone else?
Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 12:09am
Strategising here.  Would like to be able to be 100 % self sufficient for a year or so but on my budget it won't happen.  So, my objective is to do what I can.  That includes having enough "stuff" to support my wife and myself through the bad times of H1N1 pandemic to the max extent possible.  That's what I see as the immediate need.  My thinking is to minimize trips I make away from home.  To support that objective I will stock what food, fuel  and all of the medications (OTC and Scripts) that I can muster and put it on the shelf.  When the SHTF I will start immediately to improvise, adapt, overcome, seek alternatives and lead life on a day to day basis.  Times will be hard so I think the challenge will be keeping a good mental attitude which will require a sound spiritual base.  

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 8:41am
I'm not one to make resolutions, but what I am doing this month, is resupplying otcs, and meats. Also, doing some rotations and reorganizations.  Since I just graduated, until I either get into grad school, or a job, whatever occurs first, I will be working on that since I have the free time.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 12:13pm
Seawolfe, two books that might interest you: Animal, vegetable, miracle by Barbara Kingsolver is a book about the author's attempt to only eat food they produce themselves or that is produced locally and to live without everything else. The second book is an Australian title called Choosing Eden by Adrienne Langman. This is about the authors sudden realisation that peak oil could cause them no end of trouble if they remained in the city and so they relocate and try to set themselves up to be self sufficient. 

I haven't made any resolutions this year but January is a busy month for me. 

At the moment I'm busy making cassis. We've just distilled another 5 litres of 90% proof alcohol. I've diluted this down to 40% and flavoured it to white rum. Our blackcurrant crop is mid crop at the moment and so I'm picking a basket a day. These I'm washing and  picking over and then freezing overnight. The next day I put them into a 2 quart jar so it's half full. Then I pour white rum over the top so the jar is 3/4 full.

These jars sit on our kitchen table and for the next 40 days I'll shake them daily. After 40 days, I'll strain off the blackcurrants (and store in a different jar with lots of sugar and just enough rum to cover them and we'll eat them with ice cream at a later date - adults only!).

To the now almost black rum I add enough sugar to make it sweet, and then continue shaking daily for about a week so the sugar dissolves. Then I decant it into bottles and put it away for the winter. Apart from being a delicious drink in small measures, it is also packed full with vitamin c which transfers from the black currants to the rum.

Last year I made 4 bottles, but this year I've got the hang of distilling and will make 10 bottles. If we don't drink it, it'll keep indefinitely. 

I also make a very effective cough syrup from some of the strained out blackcurrants. I crush them and strain the juice. When they come out of the rum they are still whole, the juice has left them due to osmosis but there's still some left. If I crushed them in the rum then the rum would be cloudy and I like it clear. So to make the cough syrup I crush them  and then measure out the juice/rum that comes from the berries and to that I add an equal measure of our own runny honey. 

This mixture has to be stirred for a few days to fully integrate, and then I bottle it into sterile small bottles (I use old maple syrup glass bottles that I pick out from the dump). I do not heat treat the syrup because I want it to be raw and full of enzymes. Our honey is raw and so are the blackcurrants and I'm sure this is better for you.

The cough syrup is fine on the shelf and lasts forever. I find 3 bottles are enough to go through the year but I always make 6 just in case. I give this to our family, including the children, at 2 teaspoons at a time. It's great for tickly coughs and makes everyone feel better. The very small amount of alcohol in it also helps children get to sleep.

When I've finished the blackcurrants (in about 2 days time) I'm starting on the worcester berry crop and I'll make most of that into jam.

The other thing I'm doing is making a list of outdoor jobs to be done before winter. Unfortunately it's a long list. We had a very wet winter last year and our land became very water logged and impassable in some places so we mapped it at the height of the flooding and intend to put in some dutch drains so it won't happen again. We live on clay but thankfully we have hilly land so plenty of gullies to drain water into. 

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2014 at 12:46pm
I want some of that cough syrup Wink
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 12:25pm
You should try the cassis on a cold winters night, not only does it taste great but it's actually a health drink - at least that's what we tell ourselves!
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 2:16pm
I always made honey lemon drink, by slicing up two or three lemons and layering them in a jar alternating between thin lemon slices and honey, then i let it sit in the fridge for about two days, shaking on occasion, and then when the juice of the lemon has combined with the honey in the mixture, I remove the slices of lemon and freeze them to use for later (or eat them like a snack) and then mix a couple spoonfuls of the combination of lemon juice and honey with either hot or cold water to drink. It's a common thing in Japan, you see it a lot in manga lol. My Japanese family did it for me in the summer when I had a cold while living there, it's refreshing. :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2014 at 4:07pm
KiwiMum, I copied and printed your blackcurrant recipes and saved them for bad times. Now I am going to see if I can grow Blackcurrants in Colorado!

Thanks!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:28am
Flumom you should have no problem growing them in Colorado according to the Colorado State University. Our bushes are about 4 years old and 3 ft in every direction and growing well. I do not irrigate them but we live on water retentive clay soil. I have successfully grown them on free draining stoney soil as well but they needed irrigation. You could try making cassis with frozen bought blackcurrants. 

The reason I freeze them is that it causes their skins to split and so the juice flows more freely. If you don't freeze them then you have to prick each one with a pin 2 or 3 times. We have shot each every evening during the winter months and at the first hint of a cold. 
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 2:59pm
Blackcurrants grow wild in the UK so you should be okay, FluMom. I remember my first ever paying job was picking them with my best friend while we were out of school one summer. Back breaking work, and when we found out how hard it was to make any decent amount of money, we never went back.
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 4:00pm
Thanks guys, I will incorporated a blackcurrant bush in my backyard. I have a spot the bush may just like! Next spring I am redoing all my front and part of my back yard so I will include this bush in the plan.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 6:09pm
Jacksdad, commercially they harvest blackcurrants in NZ by shaking the bush. A special machine does it and they spread something beneath the bushes to catch the berries. I don't think this is a very effective way to harvest, but it's quick.

Flumom, I was given a great book a few years ago called Edible Landscaping and it was all about incorporating edibles into a suburban garden without it being obvious to passerbys. Certainly blackcurrants make a great hedge. I have about 12 bushes in a straight line and they look great.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 9:51pm
KiwiMum - these were low lying bushes in rows across a large field. I'm just glad I was young, because I probably wouldn't have been able to bend that low for hours on end now. Not if I ever wanted to straighten back up anyway LOL
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 10:49am

yet another warning as to what can happen when "the system" breaks down

PHOTOS: What It Looks Like When A Massive Chemical Spill Contaminates The Water Supply

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/11/3150431/photos-chemical-spill/

Crisis In West Virginia: Wal-Mart Calls In Police To Guard Bottled Water Delivery

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/10/3149971/crisis-wal-mart-west-virginia-water-delivery/

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:05pm
I will need to restock my OTC meds after having the flu. I have almost gone through an entire bottle of cough syrup in 36 hours, that is just one person. I have more, but imagining if it was more than one person plus need to replace what I have used. Plus ibuprofen. I also realized I only have half a bottle of generic benadryl when I was looking for an antihistamine.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2014 at 7:26pm
Satori, I live near where this happened. It a total of about 30 minutes to 1 hour for civilized society to go down the tubes. People were not even thirsty yet. Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2014 at 1:30am
Excellent point Penham. We wiped out our supply of mucinex (actually...I did), so we need to restock. It was a useful dry run because it made me realize that the amount I thought would be adequate for my family was just enough for one person.
Saskabush View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 6:47pm
Though I respect your contributions here, I respectfully submit that viruses and bacteria are very different and universal procedures of masking, limiting exposure to body excretions and fluids, and disinfection are less effective when dealing with viral infections.

"Virus - Bacteria Differences
Viruses are the smallest and simplest life form known. They are 10 to 100 times smaller than bacteria.
The biggest difference between viruses and bacteria is that viruses must have a living host - like a plant or animal - to multiply, while most bacteria can grow on non-living surfaces.
Bacteria are intercellular organisms (i.e. they live in-between cells); whereas viruses are intracellular organisms (they infiltrate the host cell and live inside the cell). They change the host cell's genetic material from its normal function to producing the virus itself.
There are some useful bacteria but all viruses are harmful.
Antibiotics can kill bacteria but not viruses.
An example of a disease caused by bacteria is strep throat and an example of an affliction caused by a virus is the flu."
www.mayoclinic.org
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 7:39pm
I just bought three pairs of reading glasses. Can't read a thing without them. I won't miss the TV much but I'd rather die than not read. I guess I need to buy more books too!
Buy more ammo!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 8:30pm
Talking about glasses...I purchased some of those HD yellow glasses and for me they REALLY work. I am in my mid 60's and the glare of on coming cars blinds a person of my age. I know because all my friends hate night driving because of the same problems. You just do not see well at night and driving is just hard.

These glasses somehow cut the glare or do something and I can see better at dusk and night. Dusk is a real difference and night I can still see the lines after bright car lights pass.

So try them and see if they work for you also.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2014 at 9:40pm
Penham - just as I was talking about running out, I found a bunch of bottles of generic mucinex on clearance. Restocked the medicine cabinet pretty nicely for cheap Big smile

arirish - I hear you on the reading glasses. I'm at the point where I can't read fine print or see anything small without them. I was just thinking today that I should hit the dollar stores and pick up a bunch and leave them at home, in my locker at work, and in both of my vehicles.

FluMom - I've been seeing the TV commercials for those, and I remember my Dad having a pair of yellow driving glasses probably more than 30 years ago. He swore by them and said they really helped at night.

Saskabush - glad my contributions are appreciated. I try.
Thanks for the breakdown of the differences between bacteria and viruses. I actually have a biology degree and I've worked in healthcare (direct patient care) for about twenty years. Exposure to pathogens is one of those subjects that we're constantly trained and retrained in, and we cover all possible modes of transmission by bacteria, viruses and even fungi since the emergence of coccidioidomycosal infections as a major health issue here in the southwest. When I refer to universal precautions, I mean I approach every patient as if they're infected and take the same precautions against exposure by utilizing full PPE - gown, gloves, face shield, face mask, and even full isolation rooms in facilities that have patients testing positive for Hepatitis B (for which I'm required to immunized and show antibodies). It's full PPE every time I have contact with a patient. Just last week I had a patient spray me with blood as I was cannulating them, and it hit the cuff of my glove, my gown and went right across my face shield. None touched me fortunately, and after washing up I threw everything away, got new PPE and cleaned the area with bleach solution, but it served as a useful reminder as to why we go to such lengths.
I replied because it seemed as though you were schooling some of our more experienced members - in particular, that's the way the capitalized comment about H5N1 being a virus came off. If I read that wrong, I apologize. Please understand that things can and often do go off topic here and it's the job of the moderators or admin to try and make sure it doesn't get to far off track. Nothing I could see in that thread did, so it was left alone.
BTW, this is the January prepping thread - I think you meant to post in the one discussing the fatal H5N1 case in Canada.

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 8:42am
FluMom- Thanks for the tip! The glare bothers me at night too so I'll look for a pair and try them.
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 10:50am
I have 3 pairs of reading glasses too - I'm lost without them.

I've now started on jam. I have 15 kg of apricots sitting in the kitchen to make into jam. I aim to turn about 50 kgs of fruit into jam this year, and about 15kg into jelly to eat with meat. I'll be using apricots, worcesterberries, blackcurrants and crab apples. I buy raspberry and strawberrry jam from an old lady I know, she turns out dozens and dozens of jars as a fundraiser for a club I belong to.

I'm also going to start on some bottles tomato soup. I bottle 30 quarts every summer and that keeps us in lovely tomato soup all winter. I'll probably do all that soup in the next two weeks as I make it in 10 quarts at a time.

It's a busy time of year for us.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 3:29pm
I'm not sure if they would have reading glasses for me.  I am nearsighted and both eyes have different levels of severity. I also have a medium astigmatism in one of my eyes. Sounds like I would be SOL for reading glasses then, unless I pop out the lenses and recombine them. I wish my mother would find my last year's prescription glasses just in case the ones I recently got break.

I need to restock on otc meds too, I was good until I caught a cold and started depleting my supply of cough syrup lol. Finally good on TP and cat food again though :)
Newbie View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 12:14pm
Well I hope everyone is having a good prepping month- sure looks like Fema is prepping for something big....

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/fema-seeking-contractors-who-can-supply-biohazard-disposal-facilitiestarps-and-housing-units-at-24-48-hours-notice_012014

If link won't cut/paste to browser go to the daily sheeple website & scroll down...

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/fema-seeking-contractors-who-can-supply-biohazard-disposal-facilitiestarps-and-housing-units-at-24-48-hours-notice_012014
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 12:31pm
Hachiban, my neighbour swears by zenni optical (just google zenni) for her glasses. She has odd vision too. All you need to know is your prescription. She ordered a pair with lenses for $14 and they arrived here in NZ 6 days later. I'll be getting my next pair from there.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 12:51pm
KiwiMum.  Thats really usefull news.  Thanks

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 4:10pm
Thanks for the suggestion, KiwiMum. Hope you're well!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 10:12pm
Hachiban, I'm very well thanks. A bit hot but I've been making jam all day and have another day of jam making tomorrow. I hope you're well too and avoiding the bugs on your campus.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2014 at 11:04pm
Glad to hear you've been well :) Jam sounds delicious. I also really like marmalade. My cousin makes apple butter and I want to try making that. Just need to find a good recipe, since she lost hers at the minute in the moving process. I just recently got a waffle maker, so I plan on making a big batch and freezing them for later so the s.o. and I can have nice breakfasts on the go. I actually just graduated from college with my B.A. but I still am on campus weekly/biweekly, as I do research on campus. I'm attempting to avoid, but my s.o. is still at the school daily so when he is sick, he brings it on home to me, heh. I will be applying to graduate school for the 2015-2016 school year while I get some of the pre-reqs out of the way to keep from being a three year masters student when I start (the grad school is actually just 12 minutes driving from my undergraduate university)
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 4:01pm
I got the last 3 bottles of guafenisen cough syrup at my store, a couple bottles of generic Benadryl, some vicks. So starting to restock my OTC meds.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2014 at 8:23pm
I have the benadryl dye-free tabs, I always carry two of them on hand in my mini first aid kit, but I have others for later use. I also have generic clartin (sp?). I have generic dayquil and need more nyquil. When my s.o. was last sick, I got him his own for his apartment, and he said he needs to get more dayquil because his room mate decided to use up all his cough syrup during finals week -_- I didn't get it for them, but oh well.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2014 at 7:55am
Newbie, to post a clickable link put [URL] in front of the link. Then put the same thing behind the link but add a / in front of the letter U. You will know it works when it turns yellow.
Wicker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 2:39pm
I received a dehydrater for Christmas and have been a dehydrating fool.
I have about a dozen ziplock bags filled with different test samples. So far I like canned pineapple and bell pepper the best. I over dried the deer jerky but it tasted good.
Wicker

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2014 at 7:14pm
Hey Wicker, if you vacuum pack anything you dry and put it in a freezer it will last really long. I have frozen my dried tomatoes and they are good years later. I dry all my stuff really dry. Water and Oxygen are what causes food to spoil.

I also love pineapple. I purchase a big #10 can of pineapple chunks and split the chunks and dry. Yummy just don't eat too much you get mouth sores from the acid.

Have fun!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 2:00am

The Top 50 Things to Disappear from Store Shelves during an Emergency

http://campingsurvivalblog.com/preparedness/medical-preparedness/the-top-50-things-to-disappear-from-store-shelves-during-an-emergency/

The Top 12 Things to Disappear from Stores During an Emergency: And Why You Shouldn’t Care

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/the-top-12-things-to-disappear-from-stores-during-an-emergency-and-why-you-shouldnt-care_012014

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic