Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

H7N9 Mutation - CDC New Division

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H7N9 Mutation - CDC New Division
    Posted: January 22 2014 at 4:05pm
http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2014/01/most-lethal-h7n9-mutates-human-to-human-transmission-now-possible-2518766.html

Shanghai, Jan. 11 (CNA) Chinese researchers have discovered mutations in the new strain of avian influenza A, known as H7N9, and have found that the virus has the ability to spread from human to human, the latest issue of China’s Southern Metropolis Weekly reported.

Although the H7N9 and H5N1 viruses have not had the ability to widely spread from human to human, after undergoing genetic mutations and redistribution through mutations, they become better able to bind to human cells in the upper respiratory tract and can evolve into bird flu strains with the ability to transmit among humans, the team says.

The report said that H5N1 and H7N9 have been two of the the most lethal avian influenza viruses for humans in recent years. Since the first case of human influenza A H5N1 was reported in 1997 in Hong Kong, the virus has affected more than 60 countries around the world, with a fatality rate of 60 percent.

http://pissinontheroses.blogspot.com/2014/01/max-alert-usa-at-risk-expect-30-new.html

The current spike is from the Gregorian New Year Holiday, Jan 1 (one paid day off),
The next H7N9 spike will be from the 2014 Chinese New Year Holidays, January 31- February 6th (7 paid days off).

A very simple static parametric analysis indicates the rates of H7N9 rates of infection resulting from the Chinese New Year will initially be 7 times greater than what occurred as a result of the Jan 1st holiday. A dynamic analysis from a Discrete Event Simulation could give much greater insight into the epidemiology.

Obviously, this situation means a greatly increased risk that H7N9 will enter the United States as people return from celebrating the holiday in China.
We expect that H7N9 will be in the United States by Valentine's Day.

Medclinician
Medclinician - not if but when - original
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 6:15pm
Are they really acknowledging that both flu viruses h7n9 and h5n1 are now h2h efficiently?

KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2014 at 6:40pm
Wow, that is really something. Could someone remind me what the fatality rate of H7N9 is please? 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:35am
Just shy of 30% last I heard Confused
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:37am
Very worrying.  Jacksdad, what will you do when arrives in the USA? Will you actively distance yourself and your family?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:44am
"The report said that H5N1 and H7N9 have been two of the the most lethal avian influenza viruses for humans in recent years."

The others being...?
I suppose H10N8 technically has a 100% CFR, but killing the only person it 's ever known to have infected doesn't really count statistically. H7N9 is about 30% as best we can gauge with a small number of infections, often long term illness before death, and dubious reporting by China. H5N1 ranges from 60% all the way up to 80% in Indonesia. Those two bad boys rule the roost (sorry, did it again...) to the best of my knowledge.
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 11:52am

Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Wow, that is really something. Could someone remind me what the fatality rate of H7N9 is please? 

total of 221 cases

with 57 deaths reported

so roughly 25% or so

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Very worrying.  Jacksdad, what will you do when arrives in the USA? Will you actively distance yourself and your family?

KiwiMum - yes, I think a fully H2H virus with a CFR well into double digits undoubtedly warrants sheltering in place for the duration. Having watched H1N1 spread amongst family and coworkers - many of whom were vaccinated - I don't see any other viable way to avoid infection. Fingers crossed it never comes to it, but I would definitely shut the doors if it were to happen. If you consider that 30% (or more) of the population could be infected by exposure to a well adapted human virus, and if H7N9's current CFR were to hold, that would result in as many as 1 in 10 of the general population dying. On the plus side, most viruses typically trade off lethality for transmissibility, but even 1 in 20 would be terrible to contemplate.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:08pm
"Beforeitsnews" and "pissinontheroses" ? Not exactly The New York Times or The Washington Post! Both are basically alternitive news outlets for consperacy theorist. I'll take this with a grain of salt untill I see a study with some data.
Buy more ammo!
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

"Beforeitsnews" and "pissinontheroses" ? Not exactly The New York Times or The Washington Post! Both are basically alternitive news outlets for consperacy theorist. I'll take this with a grain of salt untill I see a study with some data.

I agree with you. Ive seen some of their YouTube videos. Nothing but fear mongering IMO.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 12:58pm
I agree too - it's got to be undeniable and showing up on more than fringe conspiracy sites before I think about SIP, but what I said above applies. If I think it's coming, I'm locking the door.

And don't be the one that tries to open it Big smile
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 1:11pm
Kyle and Jacksdad- I not saying it's not coming! I think we're closer than anytime in the last 90 years. And I'm not saying these aren't true. I'd just like to see some emperical data before I lift the draw bridge!
Buy more ammo!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 1:21pm
Assuming this behaves like SARS, as it seems to be, once china hits arround 300 cases it will begin to pop up elsewhere in different countries. At this rate, that would be around late feb or early march. Unless something changes, should be fairly accurate, but who knows.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 1:27pm
Don't worry, buddy - I think we're all on the same page. No judgement call on you or the source of the the article, either.

To be honest, what they're saying is well within the realms of possibility. H7N9 is now sporadically H2H, and work with ferrets led researches to the conclusion that H5N1 is only a few mutations away from a human virus. And the Chinese New Year could well be the trigger that sees H7N9 leave China and go global, albeit in a limited fashion (like the recent Canadian H5N1 death).
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 1:45pm
Like Hajj, Chinese from all over the world travel home this time of year to visit family and then return to thier country of residence. I think you are both correct. If this is IT, we'll know by spring!
Buy more ammo!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 6:28pm
Med- I hope you know my comments were not aimed at you! I have read and learned from many of your posts. I just don't trust these two blogs. This is just my opinion but they're more worried about profits than facts but if you trust them let me know and I'll re-think my position. I'm here to learn and there are many on here that know a ton more than I do. I agree with Jacksdad, what they are saying is very plausible, I just want to hear it from a source I trust.

Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 8:12pm
Jacksdad, you said that you've been watching co-workers come down with H1N1 even though they've been vaccinated, well a few days ago I was talking socially with a doctor and I asked about H1N1 and the flu vaccine and he said that the vaccine was ineffective against the new improved H1N1 that is currently circulating. 
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2014 at 8:23pm
We have a coworker out at the moment (have to roll into work at 4am tomorrow to cover for him) and he was vaccinated at the same time as his wife, who was sick a few weeks ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic