Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

February prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February prepping
    Posted: February 01 2014 at 11:16pm
I can't believe how fast January went by, it's already February! So what is everyone going to work on this month? We are getting snow several days this week, so I may be stuck at home, so I may be forced to do some much needed reorganizing and cleaning.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 12:31pm
I am making elderberry extract this week, in preparation for further possible flu outbreaks. 

Elderberry is supposedly very powerful at treating flu symptoms so I thought I'd give it a go. I wanted to make some last year but had missed the crop, so this year I've been checking the local trees every couple of days.

I'm using a 70% alcohol. My first batch is 2 weeks old and already most of the colour has left the elderberries. My second batch I started yesterday. I should end up with 4 quarts of extract when all is said and done. That's probably way more than we will need but since i make the alcohol, it's really costing me nothing to do. 

Does anyone have any good ideas for turning some of the extract / tincture into other things such as syrup / pastilles etc?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 1:18pm
Finally replenishing my medicine cabinet/cupboard. Got more paper products. I'll get more food later in the month. Debating starting a balcony garden, but I'm afraid my neighbors might steal my vegs/herbs I plan to grow.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 2:57pm

some advice to get your going

First Things First: Key Questions Facing The Beginning Prepper

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/first-things-first-key-questions-facing-the-beginning-prepper_022014

unfortunately 

only a VERY small # of Americans

are prepared for much of anything

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-preparedness/doomsday-report-three-million-preppers-in-america-are-getting-for-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it_02112012

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:07pm
KiwiMum, can I put the elderberries in let's say vodka and make your extract that way?

I don't make hooch so I really need to use vodka to do what you do.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:15pm
Flumom, yes you can. I believe that you can buy 60 or 70% proof vodka in the US, but if you can't find it use ordinary 40%. I only started distilling because I could no longer get the strong stuff here and I wanted to make tinctures. You can also buy dried elderberries in the US and they are really cheap, around $6 for a lb.

Don't rehydrate them, just put them straight into a jar and add vodka. Google elderberry tincture for instructions, but if I remember correctly you fill your jar 1/3 full of dried berries and then fill with vodka leaving about a 2 inch gap at the top so you can shake it easily. If using fresh berries then you fill it 2/3 full. I'm using quart jars.

It's supposed to be really powerful stuff. Google elderberries and flu and the research is very interesting.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 7:59pm
You can buy Everclear in the US (that is 190 or 151 proof). It's really hard to find the 190 proof one because it's so strong, so certain states restrict it from my understanding. I don't think it is vodka though? Says its a neutral spirit.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 8:12pm
FluMom,if you can EverClear 190 proof,get it and cut it with distilled water. They have stopped selling it where I live. There are plenty of 100 proof (50%) Vodkas out there.I like Ever Clear better but that is not a choice that I have now. The tinutures made with vodka give a taste that I do not like,but it works. I do not know where you live,but if you live an area where there are still some dependable moonshiners,they can make about any thing that you want. My last dependable source died last year of natural causes. Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 11:16am
Is distilling legal in the US? It is here, so quite a few people I know make alcohol though most use very expensive electric stills. We have 2 stove top pot stills. We get about 4.5 litres with each session.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 11:18am
KiwiMum,Distilling is illegal in the US.Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 11:46am
That's bad luck. It's alot of fun. It's almost like alchemy. You can actually turn water, sugar and yeast into hard core alcohol in a week which seems like magic to me. 

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 12:28pm
KiwiMum,that is bad luck. It is against the law because the government can not collect taxes on the alcohol that is made. Many families in the state that I live in and several other states made moonshine during the Great Depression so their families would not starve to death. But it was made before then and after that to. It is really bad when you consider that the primary founder of our country (George Washington) made Whiskey for a living.He grew his own grain and instead of taking a chance on a bad price for his grain at harvest time,he turned it into whiskey(moonshine). He sold all that he could make. He had a good recipe and people liked his whiskey. He made 14,000 gals./month and sold it for $2.00/gallon.His plantation was a whiskey producing plantation.I have heard that they have started making his whiskey again at his plantation(Mt.Vernon) and you can buy a drink if you visit there.His recipe is published on the internet some where. ---It is amazing how similar it is to my families recipe that my family used many decades ago.-----But most of the old times that produced a really good and a safe product are gone now and their knowledge died with them.If the wrong kind of metal is used in the distilation process,it produces a poison that either makes you go blind,or destroys your kidneys, or kills you. So just any one can not make it correctly.Good luck.Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 5:02pm
It's against the law to sell the alcohol you make here in NZ. You can give it away, but not sell it, although I suspect that people do sell it. There are no other regulations concerning it. Books and equipment are freely available. 

The poison / making you blind bit is very real and you have to follow certain rules, the main one being that you chuck away the first 50ml of alcohol that comes out. You can use this stuff as rubbing alcohol or you can use it as fuel but you mustn't drink it. We always chuck a bit more just to be on the safe side. 

The distillation process is all temperature dependent and we stop collecting alcohol when the thermometer hits 90 degs, which is about 4 hours after we started. The alcohol produced after this temp is a lower grade and not good. Some people are greedy and keep going but the whole lot only costs us about $15 to produce 4.5 litres, so we chuck the rest away.

The funny thing is that since we've been producing our own, we drink less spirits than we used to. I guess it's because we've got so much of it. Perhaps if I were surrounded by piles of chocolate I'd eat less of that too!

I think alcohol would be a great bartering item. That's one reason why we got stove top stills, because they don't require electricity. My friends still cost him $1000 and it's all singing and all dancing and totally automatic. All he has to do is plug it in and pour the wash (that's the fermented sugar, yeast and water mix) into it. It tells him when it's finished and he doesn't have to keep an eye on it or anything. We have to watch ours and keep changing over the jars as they fill up.

One of the stills I have is a homemade job made by a local man that I bought for $50. It's basically made from a large stock pot and works very well.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 5:31pm
KiwiMum, it sounds like you know what you are doing and you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can do it.-----I also believe that you are 100% correct about alcohol being a good barter item to have.Probably one of the best. Good Luck and have a drink for me. Johnray1
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 12:31pm

I had a mini WTSHTF situation occur

during the Snowpocalypse

a pipe froze and broke at some point

FORTUNATELY it was an outside pipe and the house didn't flood

but I did have to shut off water to the house for several days

before I could make the repair

(yes Satori is WAY too cheap to hire a plumber at $75 an hour !)

anyway

having no running water isn't fun

especially when it comes to sanitation

a good supply of hand sanitizer helps

as do those disposable wipes

you can at least make an effort to keep clean

I keep a GOOD supply of stored water on hand thank God

so that wasn't an issue

should a pandemic shut down city services

I'll at least have an idea of just how unpleasant things will be

camping out in yer house isn't funBig smile

FIRST thing I did when water was restored was take a LONG hot showerClap

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 8:31am
Prepping question for all that want to answer. I need to know how to bury cotton clothes,down sleeping bags,cotton sleeping bags, cigarette lighters, and every thing else that you may think of.? I buried some of all of these thing a while back and I used plastic trash bags. I checked them a few weeks ago and everything had drawn moisture and rotted. Even the cigarette lighters rusted so bad that they would not work.The knives and hatchets were in bad shape to. I also need to know how to preserve seeds so that they stay dry. I can not use a freezer when there is no electricity. I need advice that works. Thank You,Johnray1
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 9:29am
No idea about the lighters, but perhaps vaccum seal the cotton products with space bags. Test it out and see how it fairs up. You can also vaccum seal the seeds too. Zeer pots can be used for refrigeration, but not so much freezing that I know of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmb-kCcDLxQ This requires water.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:01am
hachiban08,Thank You,John Ray
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:22am
Any one else with any advice? Johnray1
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 10:40am
Johnray..Spray your knives/metal objects with a spray lubricant and then vaccume seal items in food saver bags..Could place items in PVC tubes with caps on ends to make your stuff last longer.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:26am
Vacuum seal bags, both food and those large ones for storing blankets, will only hold their seal for about 6 months. Even the best quality food bags will only last that long, and I got that from a butchery wholesaler who was trying to sell me a vacuum sealer machine! At least he was honest!

Johnray1, I have purchased some American made heavy duty plastic barrels with screw top lids with a really deep thread ( I have to turn that lid about 20 times to get it off). These barrels are an army khaki green colour and they originally contained pig skin sausage casings from America. I buy them for $20 cash from our local butchery wholesaler as they are a waste product for them and the $20 goes into their Christmas party fund. 

I'm not sure how well these would do buried but I have been storing paper bags of dog food in a couple of them and they stood outside for the whole winter and the product inside was bone dry. Perhaps you could use them with an equivalent of PTFE tape that plumbers use when putting a new tap on. Or maybe a mastic of some kind or a thick grease.

As for seeds, personally I would make sure they are in the unopened foil packets that you bought them in, and then I'd put them in canning jars with some desiccant bags from the gun shop and seal them up really well. Dry uncooked rice works very well too, and you can always eat it afterwards. 
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:30am
Those barrels I mentioned are big, about 3ft tall and I can't get my arms around one. I have one tied to a fence post outside our house with an emergency earthquake kit in it. It contains 4 blankets, socks, 6 big water bottles, a days worth of food, torches, first aid kit, lantern, car keys, radio, brandy (well it is an emergency!!) and that lot only fill it to under half way. This kit is just for use if we have to bail out of the house in the middle of the night due to a large earthquake. It's enough to get us through to daylight in comfort.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 11:53am
I've heard of people burying preps in plasic drum or barrels before. I'd still wrap perishible or metal items in something like mylar though. You can buy the bags online and heat seal them with an iron (that's more for John than KiwiMum - I know you have trouble getting mylar).
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 12:10pm
Coyote and KiwiMum,thank you a lot.I will find some big plastic pipe with lids and I will try to find these barrels that you are talking. The Brandy is a good idea.---- Our President has announced that he wants Americans to work less or not at all and that has been behind his healthcare plan all along. He has already added many,very many to the welfare roles and now he has added more. He wants a very large group of Americans to not work and to let the government take care of them. His people are saying these things on the news. I guess that he thinks we are so stupid that we do not know that some one is going to have to work to pay the taxes to feed and house these people. He wants the government cared for people to cook more,pursue art and writing ect while the government takes care of them.We all know that this will not work,so there will be an economic collapse or a civil war or both. He has done what he set out to do,he has destroyed this nation,it has just not fell yet.I am lucky that I live in a rural area,it is really not luck,I chose to live here,so we will make it. Far to many people feel "entitled" to have everything given to them and he just increased that number by a lot.There will be problems. I have seen this attitude of some people feeling entitled for a long time now,but he just put more into that group than we can support Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 11:04am
Johnray1, have you ever read any of the books by Scott and Helen Nearing? One of them is called Living the Good Life. The Nearings were the original good lifers setting up in the 1930's and living without money as much as they could, and growing their food. They did it to extreme I have to say, they kept no animals and were vegetarian but they certainly managed to maintain a good life/work balance.

I've read 3 of their books and it does make you think. The key to it all, in my opinion, is to own your property free and clear. No debt. No matter what happens, if you are free and clear and can grow your food, the only money you need to find is for your rates. 

I met a woman in the city who had raised her family out where I live without ever owning a vehicle. We live a long way from town, 20 km, and you wouldn't want to walk that. They used bikes, and as soon as they were able, each child helped make a small trailer for their bike and the family would bike to town once a week and shop and then bike all their groceries back home again (and it's uphill all the way).  She still doesn't have a car.

My husband and I sit down every few months and inventory our finances. We look at our fixed costs and our variables and where we can make savings, what we no longer need etc. It's amazing how much we can let go of when we have a goal in mind.  when we had a mortgage, and no kids, we both worked long hours, drove old crappy cars much to the amusement of our friends, but we paid off our mortgage in 2 and a half years by ploughing as much money into it as we could. It was hard work but the sense of achievement was wonderful. At the moment our motivation is that we want to build a new house. 
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 1:10pm
KiwiMum, I grew up like that. We raised all of our food and we also had pigs and chickens to eat also. We had plenty to eat all of the time. My Dad was crippled in a car wreck when I was 7 years. After that there was no work and no money. We did own 20  acres of flat land in the head of a hollow. My father would not go on welfare,so  that is how we lived. It was hard work but my sister and my Mother and me did it. I have accomplished a lot and I am not poor. But I can not quit work because my wife spends more on our kids and grand kids than I can make. I still can not quit. An invitation to eat out with my family cost me $100 to $150 dollars everytime that we go out. I think that is the only reason that I am invited. Every thing that I have is paid off,cars,house,land ,everything. I am in a circle that I do not know how to get out of. If I do not pay for everything for every one,then I am accused of not loving my family,this is bull*****. Plus I have prepped for everyone and they think that it is funny.But I still can not quit working. Johnray1
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 1:28pm
KiwiMum- Here's a link for a syrup recipe.

http://wellnessmama.com/1888/how-to-make-elderberry-syrup-for-flu-prevention/
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 8:09pm
Johnray1, my dad has much the same troubles as you. Everyone assumes he's rich and can pay for everything and I've even seen my siblings push the bill across the table to him. He's too polite to say anything, but my husband always gives him a contribution towards the meal after everyone else has left. 

My mother spends like money is water, and is constantly buying unnecessary things for her 10 grandchildren. The way my Dad got passed that was to give her a budget of x amount a week which he gives her in cash. Then she can save it away or spend it on soft toys or whatever, but she can't have any more. It sounds very draconian but she's not been right in the head since she had a hip replacement. She makes bad choices so she can't have access to a cheque book or bank card anymore. Perhaps that would work on your wife?

I look at friends who have huge credit card debt and keep extending their limit and I personally think they are mad. But I guess it's just a mindset. I know it's much much harder to spend cash so perhaps you could cancel all your cards and just give your wife a weekly budget in cash. I have one and generally I stick to it, give or take a bit. Anyway, I feel for you. Good luck.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 8:10pm
Arirish, thanks for the link. I was in the abandoned red zone in Chch yesterday and came home with a bucket of lovely plump elderberries so I just might make that this evening.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 8:13pm
Kiwimum,thanks for the advice. Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 10:10am
I'm starting on our small harvests this month. Starting with the meat rabbits, I've skinned and prepared 7 of them for the freezer. 12 more to go. I've also collected in our honey harvest in the last few days. We have 45kg of honey for us and 45kg for the bees to feed on over winter. Tomorrow I'll start to cream our honey which will take 2-3 weeks depending how vigorously I stir it. Then I'll bottle it and it will last forever. 

I'm putting in winter leeks any minute as well and I need to start making tomato soup to bottle. It's a busy time of year for me.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Prepping question for all that want to answer. I need to know how to bury cotton clothes,down sleeping bags,cotton sleeping bags, cigarette lighters, and every thing else that you may think of.? I buried some of all of these thing a while back and I used plastic trash bags. I checked them a few weeks ago and everything had drawn moisture and rotted. Even the cigarette lighters rusted so bad that they would not work.The knives and hatchets were in bad shape to. I also need to know how to preserve seeds so that they stay dry. I can not use a freezer when there is no electricity. I need advice that works. Thank You,Johnray1

Once you vacume seal things you could put them in a 5 gal bucket with a gasket to keep animals from digging them up or chewing. Even put the bucket in trash bags.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 7:04pm
Suzi,thank you.Johnray1
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 8:52pm

It Doesn’t Take Much For People To Start Behaving Like Crazed Lunatics

http://www.blacklistednews.com/It_Doesn’t_Take_Much_For_People_To_Start_Behaving_Like_Crazed_Lunatics/32850/0/38/38/Y/M.html

People Are Abandoning Cars On Snow-Covered Roads In North Carolina

http://www.businessinsider.com/snow-is-paralyzing-north-carolina-2014-2

I just do not understand people not being prepared

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 5:33am
This method works for me for both food and clothes. 

Seal DRY stuff in plastic bags.  Place plastic bags in plastic bucket with lid, leaving a small airspace. 
Add a mothball or insecticide pellet (even a spare length of animal flea collar if it is an organophospate one), not in the bags with the food or clothes but inside the bucket in the airspace.

Seal bucket with adhesive tape, Denzotape is a good one.  You can also use silicone sealant, That is the stuff sold for bathrooms and kitchens.

Large plastic drainpipes with two screw on ends are a good alternative to the bucket.

Do not bury more than 3 feet down, you may want them in a hurry.

Plant over with local SHALLOW ROOTED plants and this will hide them .

Plastic cannot be picked up by a metal detector.  Only downward facing radar can locate this.

Furthermore if you can get hold of thick Polythene parachute-able packs from the UN or special forces, these have about 50L of container space and can be sealed for extra protection using silicone sealant.  Though they can be a real bitch to open again!

The pipe is brilliant for Burying rifles etc. though metal detectors can find them then.

Axes, knives and other metalic stuff can be sealed in inhibiting oil in the bags.

Remember if you put weapons such as guns with wooden buts and stocks or knives with wooden handles the oil will damage the wood.  It will not harm cyrolac parts. 

A friend of ours uses the buckets filled with tins and then the space between the tins is filled with cooking oil.  This preserves the tins, and can itself be used for both cooking and fuel.

Remember night scopes and  telescopic sights must be put in a container only filled with dry air.  They cannot be allowed to come into contact with inhibiting oil. 

Of course, I would never suggest that anyone should store bows, blowpipes, darts, arrows and sealed containers of hunting-poisons for the purposes of hunting, as to suggest this would be ilegal in my country.  But if someone did want to store these, it would be a good idea to spray them with pure beeswax polish (such as used on expensive wooden furniture) and if your bows are longbows or flat bows (like the Native Americal ones) as opposed to the shiny all-bells-and-whistles modern ones, and if,  in a moment of considerable thought, the arrowheads or dart points are made of polished obsidian, heated bone, pyrex glass etc then they could of course not be detected by a metal detector or mag loup and because of their small cross section of required storage (buried vertically) would be almost impossible to find with downward facing radar such as government agencies and well-off private citzens may have.

Of course I am merely saying this as a "what if" as I would not dream of using an edged hunting weapon or suggesting you conceal such things.

Many thanks to WillobyBrat for additional ideas here.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

Once you vacume seal things you could put them in a 5 gal bucket with a gasket to keep animals from digging them up or chewing. Even put the bucket in trash bags.

Johnray1 and Suzi- I use screw top pails. The lid basically ratchets down tight and has an air/water tight seal. You can find them at U-Line. They are a little spendy, $14.00 for 6.5 gal but thet are perfect for preping.

http://www.uline.com/BL_8173/Screw-Top-Pails

Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 11:36am
Arirish you make me laugh - $14 for a specialist 6.5 gallon bucket!!!! Unbelievably cheap. Here in NZ I can buy a 20L food grade bucket with a lid for $29.95 and trust me there's nothing specialist about that bucket at all!!!!!! And that's the best quality bucket I'm able to buy here. If I win lotto, I'll fly to America, fill a whole shipping container full of useful stuff and ship it back here. You guys are so lucky with your shopping options in the States. I envy you.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 11:50am
KiwiMum- Our power ball lotto is up to 300 million. If I win it I'll fill up a container and send it to you!
Buy more ammo!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 1:17pm
I get my plastic buckets from local bakeries.  They are bought by the bakers full of jam, oil and such like.  They wash them out when empty and sell them for pennies (usually about 70p that is around a dollar).  They seal realy well. I add tape when burying but they last for years.  They are usefull around the place too. 

The same storage method works in cupboards.  The plastic bags last for about 10 years inside, though you do have to check and may face some occasional losses.  If you accept a few losses and compensate for those by overstocking you could probably make 20 years.  I have not been storing stuff that long though, so this is just a projection.  We used to lose a few to insect attack, but insectecide balls between bag and bucket solved this problem.  The freezing to kill weavils before storage would help too as that problem occurs inside the bags.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 10:12am
Thanks Arirish, I'll start on my list just in case.....ha ha ha!

Technophobe, I get buckets from our local bakery too, and I'm on good terms with the girls that work there and get them for free when the manager is not around. Living on a farm I find you can never have too many buckets. My husband rolls his eyes when he sees  a new stack but within a week they've all been used for something. 

Just recently I've packed up 3 buckets to keep in the back of each car, one for food, one for bottled water and one for emergency items (radio, torch, tarp, first aid, rain poncho, thermal blanket etc). Each car also has a walk home backpack with sleeping bags etc so that if we get a huge quake and can't drive we can walk and be fine. It may take a few days to get home but we'll arrive back in good shape and good spirits.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 5:28am

good site for preps

you don't have to be Mormon to order

I've ordered numerous times from them

good prices,good service

http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_3074457345616706237_-1_N_image_0

and the LDS Preparedness Manual is one of the best resources out there

free download !

but I suggest buying a hardcopy

https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html

there is Mormon theology interspersed but don't let that dissuade you

its a GREAT reference

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 6:48am
This company sells Mylar bags in alll shapes and sizes.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html
Buy more ammo!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 11:07am
My nearest LDS food station is in Tonga!!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic