Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

The Flu is much worse than the reports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Flu is much worse than the reports
    Posted: February 05 2014 at 10:58pm
http://newsblogged.com/norovirus-outbreak-latest-news-real-time-updates

On a personal note, some type of flu hit me 3 days ago and this is nothing like I have had before. On the Internet and in chat rooms people are reporting a very very bad flu which some cannot even make it out of bed with, are running high fevers, and are having general joint pain which is comparable to being stabbed with stomach cramps that are leaving them shaking on their beds, eyes so bad they are swollen shut and cannot see and are dizzy, in great pain, and having been through the Pandemic and had 106 fevers for 5 days, this stuff is nastier.

Hundreds of people are suffering from waves of Norovirus and the associated joint pain and other suffering is really bad.

This is the flu that caused the 2009 Pandemic and is is not less miserable, it is worse.

I know people who have had this for 6 months and gotten it again 3 times. What is this flu and when the deaths are not even counted, how can we know the CFR?

Some of us are hard core veterans with blood having come out of our lungs, nearly put on respirators, and seen this come back over and over.

Things are not being reported.

This is today

http://newsblogged.com/norovirus-outbreak-latest-news-real-time-updates

The Flu and norovirus and travel together and be much more dangerous.

Norovirus slams Texas high school, 1300 sick; Kraft string cheese crisis, food … – The Oregonian

NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Norovirus slams Texas high school, 1300 sick; Kraft string cheese crisis, food
The Oregonian
More than 600 were sickened in the norovirus outbreak aboard the Royal Caribbean International's Explorer of the Seas, the biggest cruise ship outbreak in 20 years. But even more have developed gastrointestinal symptoms at a north Texas high school.
Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At Richardson High SchoolCBS 11
Richardson School Illness Believed to be NorovirusNBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Norovirus likely to blame for mass absences at Richardson High SchoolWFAA
FOX 4 News -KBTX
all 42 news articles »

Posted on 5 February 2014 | 4:09 pm

Norovirus Hits North Texas High School, Over 600 Sick – News 92 FM

Norovirus Hits North Texas High School, Over 600 Sick
News 92 FM
Richardson High School has more than 25-hundred students. The principal says workers are applying an antibacterial solution in high traffic areas like bathrooms and hallways. Symptoms of the norovirus include stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. 0. 0. 0. 0.

Posted on 5 February 2014 | 9:53 am

Norovirus likely to blame for mass absences at Texas high school – Xinhua

Norovirus likely to blame for mass absences at Texas high school
Xinhua
HOUSTON, Feb. 4 (Xinhua) — Authorities said Tuesday the gastrointestinal illness norovirus is likely what spurred hundreds of absences at a high school in the U.S. state of Texas, local media reported. Nearly 300 students at Richardson High School in

Posted on 5 February 2014 | 6:26 am

Heston Blumenthal’s London Restaurant Dinner Shut Down Over Norovirus … – Eater

The Daily Meal

Heston Blumenthal's London Restaurant Dinner Shut Down Over Norovirus
Eater
Heston Blumenthal's two Michelin starred London restaurant Dinner has temporarily closed due to reports of norovirus. According to a notice on the website for the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, where Dinner is located, as of yesterday the restaurant will be
Norovirus Outbreak Closes Heston Blumenthal RestaurantThe Daily Meal
Heston Blumenthal Temporarily Closes London Restaurant Hit with NorovirusFood Safety News
Heston Blumenthal's Dinner restaurant closed after norovirus outbreak among Mirror.co.uk
decanter.com -Evening Standard -TVNZ
all 90 news articles »

Posted on 3 February 2014 | 2:33 pm

comment: People has issues with Stomach Flu. We know it can travel with the respiratory infections and a type of brain infection which can give this a 3 fold hit.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/aug/12/woman-death-meningitis-not-swine-flu

Currently I have headache beyond any headache I have ever had.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/199518-meningitis-flu-symptoms/

Question: Are seeing a 3 part illness which has lung, stomach, and serious neural issues?

We saw this in Nepal where Japanese children were jumping out of windows.

Comments: What is this flu - how bad is it really despite poor sampling and people who are very sick?

Young people are dying from this.  This is not the classic flu we had in 2009? What is it?

Medclinician

Medclinician - not if but when - original
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 1:24pm
MED,you are correct again. The government in this country and other countries are more afraid of panic than they are of anything else. But remember that our government has stock piled enough ammo to last for twenty years,with no new production, and they all have safe places to go that are also well stocked with food. It is up to us to keep our ears and eyes open and take care of ourselves.Johnray1
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 7:08pm
Last April I was on a Holland America cruise (Volendam) departing from Japan and sailing to S. Korea and China. We estimated that at least 1/3rd of our ship "Volendam" had the norovirus. We could not get information from the main office as to the percentage of people affected because they said it was a matter of privacy to the patients. I said I wasn't asking for patient names, but statistics. They also blamed the outbreak on an independent tour group staying in Beijing of which I was a part of. I happen to know, though, that that people were already sick from the norovirus prior to docking in China. The ship refused to give information and also tried to lay the blame elsewhere.

Because Holland America refused to give us the facts I refuse to set sail with them again. Even after the outbreak, they failed to clean the Lido buffet area in an appropriate manner. I sat drinking my coffee one afternoon and observed them wiping down only the outer 2/3rds of the tables and never cleaned the leading edges of the table. Their cleaning was haphazard at best. Once the outbreak was beyond all control they stepped up their cleaning to disinfect all furniture, carpeting, and walls. The railings in the elevators and stairways were sopping wet with disinfectant. We couldn't even walk down a common area hallway without somebody squirting our hands with gel at each end.

You can find relevant cruise ship information regarding the norovirus here at the CDC website. The cruise line industry is supposed to comply with reporting requirements when the ship has a U.S. port. In the case of my cruise, they didn't comply because they didn't have to. No U.S. port was involved even though half of the passengers were American.

If you've ever sailed during a norovirus outbreak you will soon discover that the service is deplorable. I ordered lunch at 10:30 to be delivered no later than 1:00, but didn't receive it until 2:30. I ordered a video to be delivered to my room since I was under quarantine and it was never delivered. Keep this in mind, you will NOT be allowed to disembark for any shore excursion if they know you are sick. They ask everyone to self-quarantine for 24 hours, but you are contagious longer than that. If you don't quarantine, then you ruin everyone else's cruise too.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm
AND
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/CruiseLineDirectoryList.aspx
AND
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

The last time I contracted the norovirus at home was after eating in the Country Buffet. Can you just imagine for a moment how many people handle all those serving spoons at a buffet? THINK VOMIT!
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 7:29pm
Elver, I got norovirus the day after I went to Hometown Buffet with my two friends, one of them got it too (funny thing is, they are sister. My sick friend got everyone in the family sick except for her sister.), that was last September, I got my parents sick too. It was a domino effect.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Newbie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

MED,you are correct again. The government in this country and other countries are more afraid of panic than they are of anything else. But remember that our government has stock piled enough ammo to last for twenty years,with no new production, and they all have safe places to go that are also well stocked with food. It is up to us to keep our ears and eyes open and take care of ourselves.Johnray1

AMEN - U R a man after my heart! lol
Hoping to survive what mother nature throws at us (for stomping all over her)!
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 2:59am
A personal sadness  -

in memory of a dear friend of many years in Chicago who was having the same symptoms and likely the same Flu as I do passed away yesterday.  It began as a bad cold and after waves and three re-infections overwhelmed her. She was paying on the health insurance and could not get treatment or the life saving meds she needed.

To those who have lost people this Flu season, I feel your loss as I feel my own.  It is relentless and more people here are becoming ill and the official numbers being put out are totally worthless.

Medclinician
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 4:50am
That's terrible news Med.  You have my sympathy.  I do wish there was something more I could do beyond offering a few platitudes.  I have lost too many dear friends over the past few years myself. 

How are you yourself?  I would think several of us preppers would be interested to know.  There are a lot of people on here who care.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

That's terrible news Med.  You have my sympathy.  I do wish there was something more I could do beyond offering a few platitudes.  I have lost too many dear friends over the past few years myself. 

How are you yourself?  I would think several of us preppers would be interested to know.  There are a lot of people on here who care.

This is like a family and I have great respect for many of the posters here who put in much of their lives and time to keep us up on things that are "finds" when news on some events is hard to come by.

Since, with the recent activity on H7N9 - the arrival of H10N8 - and the blatant wrong numbers on the spread of flu in China - somewhere in the background a Pandemic lurks and what will be the next one, will have bigger numbers.  As uninspired as I am due to recent events and recovering from a 3 way bypass and rebuilt heart, the book Pandemic Now needs to get out there.

I looked at a new report today and the grocery shelves are nearly sacked in some areas and never was a nation less prepared for a Flu disaster and people less educated about survival to deal with it. As to the "Ice Age" the current blasts are shutting down parts of the country and giving us a real taste of "what if". 

Bottom line here is that whatever happens, even the most extreme scenarios, we have each other as a global community which can either learn to work together, respect each other, and do more helping and less spying, and deal with climate and political issues which are huge or we will find ourselves in chaos.

I see in AFT a community spirit on a global scale. We need the thinking and culture from a wide diversity of minds and as a family we have our days, but over all we are a truly impressive team and of great value.

Death is a bitter pill that some of the greatest saw in lost lovers or parents at early ages and spent a lifetime coping with slam dunks which nearly wiped them out from childhood. Many lived to be fairly old and contributed a great deal driven by the adversity and given understanding and compassion having suffered what they did.  As with the death of a parent or wife or child, it never gets okay. You will always feel some of the pain and miss them the rest of your lives.  Some parents are not exactly a gift, but some are truly exceptional and we are less the person without them.

Finally, as is said by some to me - a day above ground is a good day.  Life is precious and time is limited.  The greater our ability to care about others and do so on a scale that spans the globe, the higher developed we become and whatever our religious beliefs, the closer we can come to unity, the more likely we are to  achieve the dreams that some pursue for a lifetime.

Medclinician

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 2:18pm
Just an update/Doctor's comment on H1N1 and it's virulence

The number of such severe cases is the highest in any season since the 2009-2010 pandemic...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/URItheFlu/44406
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 5:09pm
Technophobe,how are heavy rains going in England? Johnray1
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 3:40am
It seems to have eased off, at least as far as actual rain is concerned.  However, this is now the wettest winter ever/since records began and the whole country is waterlogged.  Should the rain start again there is nowhere for it to go.  I do not think we have seen the last of it either.  This is just a temporary respite.

I suspect that the climatologists/meteorologists are right and this will be a permanently altered pattern.  I think we will get either massive cold (like you had this year) or drowned most years from now on.  

On a personal note the mud and run off outside is lessening slightly.  Still UGH though!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 12:37pm

H1N1 Has Killed 6,600 Americans Since October

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/h1n1-has-killed-6600-americans-since-october_022014

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 7:24am
http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/02/20/urgent-cdc-warning-of-threat-from-h1n1-swine-flu/

CDC Warns Of Threat From H1N1 Swine Flu

If you haven’t had a flu shot yet this year, get one. This from the CDC, which issued an urgent call for flu shots today, warning that this year’s flu season is turning out to be particularly deadly and still has weeks or even months to go. And if you’re an adult between the ages of 18 and 65, they mean you.

“Flu can be serious for anyone, and it can kill,” said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) director Tom Frieden, M.D. “Vaccination is the single most important thing you can do to protect yourself.”

Most worrisome to officials is who’s getting sick – because it’s not the elderly and infirm, as you might expect. Instead, more than 60 percent of those hospitalized were between the ages of 18 and 64, according to CDC reports published today in this week’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). And a scary 60 percent of flu deaths have been among those 25 to 65.

comment: still grieving the loss of someone dear this Flu season, the report I got firsthand of a terrible Flu that pounded on this person for months before she died, painted the face of an ugly new strain which attacks the whole body in dozens of ways.

There will be no real CFR numbers as many hospitals are not reporting them or substituting pneumonia related illness instead except when testing is done and that is highly selective.

This Flu can infect you for months and can return several times. It is the sheer tenacity of it and multiple system infection which can leave on septic with respiratory failure and the inability to breath killing people who never make it to the hospital. 

But most of these are not cases of elderly people with pre-existing medical conditions. The majority of them (60%) are from the younger 25 to 65 and a considerable number in their 30s. 

Medclinician

Rors View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 9:08am
I was about to open a new thread when I found this.

Today our Ministry of Health in Lebanon issued a public warning for people to take precautions from H1N1, and that there was no reason to panic.
There's an ongoing outbreak in Egypt, and suspicions of a potential outbreak in our backyard in Syria although officially there they're calling it SARI (Severe Acute Respiratory Infections). Now with the dire health and nutrition status in Syria because of the war, the population movements and refugees, the collapse of the infrastructure, monitoring systems, destruction of hospitals and lack of doctors, this can only spell bad news.

My question is: what is different about this year's H1N1? was there any reassortment of some kind that made the virus gain virulence? I remember there was also a nasty outbreak in Venezuela in late 2013.
And does the seasonal flu vaccine that contains the H1N1 strain provide immunity against this year's more-virulent strain?

I haven't been following the evolution of H1N1 for a couple of years now, this has caught me by surprise
Saskabush View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 10:10pm
Here in the region of Canada that I live in the H1N1 has subsided significantly. We aren't seeing anywhere near the same levels of absentism as we were even 3 - 4 weeks ago. It seemed like this year it spread west to east. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about why Americans are still being encouraged, rather urgently from what I understand, to get the jab, with the warning that the end of the flu season is weeks away? This is puzzling to me.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 11:36pm
Saskabush,it is puzzling to a lot of us. Some people believe that the H1N1 may not stop in warm weather like a regular flu.They are afraid that it will continue through the summer and possibly be more deadly as it continues to mutate.The CDC seems to be among the people that believe this.Maybe they know something that the rest of us do not know.  Johnray1
Saskabush View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 1:08am
This is only a personal observation but it seemed like the pattern this year has been different. It hit later, was more intense but then... left.
We seriously are not seeing much of any kind of viral activity at the moment - not even colds. Emergency departments and mediclinics went from overload to normal in what seems like a really short period of time. If warm weather has typically signalled an end to the flu season then this year we are really screwed... Forecast is for minus 54 C tomorrow. Crazy cold.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 1:17pm
I don't remember the numbers, but I heard on the local news here in Oklahoma that we broke our record in flu deaths this year, the other day,  from any previous years. It was only by a couple, but still.....
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 3:39pm

California Reports Flu Killed 302 People This Year

American Live Wire-1 Mar 2014Share
The 2013-2014 Flu Season is still underway, and the state of California has announced that the flu has claimed at least 302 lives.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Hidbeauty4ashes View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidbeauty4ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 5:07pm
Hi I am one who is down with the flu and I got it in California. A month ago I suffered a very strange sore throat that lasted for two weeks with no other symptoms. Then I got hit with the flu virus a week and a half latter. I have been in bed for 8 days and five of those days I have been on antibiotic which has not touched my symptoms. I have two ears that are full of fluid and I am very dizzy. I have a sore throat that hurts when I swallow.  I have chest congestion and a very bad headache. I cannot sleep at night do to pain in all areas and coughing.

I have never ever had a flu like this ever! I think I need to go to the ER again.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

I don't remember the numbers, but I heard on the local news here in Oklahoma that we broke our record in flu deaths this year, the other day,  from any previous years. It was only by a couple, but still.....

I'm a proud former resident of Broken Arrow, OK!  Nice to meet you!  Handshake

Sorry about the flu, we haven't been doing a good enough job of getting the young and younger adults vaccinated. 
CRS, DrPH
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 9:24pm
Gee Hidbeauty4ashes you have had a bout. I would go to a Doc for sure if you don't get better since the flu can turn into pneumonia.

In my area we have lots of colds, and a strange diarrhea with fever, some noro virus. But colds are the worst adults and kids have it!

Hope you get better! Keep us up to date.

Originally posted by Hidbeauty4ashes Hidbeauty4ashes wrote:

Hi I am one who is down with the flu and I got it in California. A month ago I suffered a very strange sore throat that lasted for two weeks with no other symptoms. Then I got hit with the flu virus a week and a half latter. I have been in bed for 8 days and five of those days I have been on antibiotic which has not touched my symptoms. I have two ears that are full of fluid and I am very dizzy. I have a sore throat that hurts when I swallow.  I have chest congestion and a very bad headache. I cannot sleep at night do to pain in all areas and coughing.

I have never ever had a flu like this ever! I think I need to go to the ER again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic