Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Warning From CDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warning From CDC
    Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:49pm

now this interesting

CDC Warns Americans Who Have Not Gotten a Flu Shot to Get One Immediately

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/cdc-warns-americans-who-have-not-gotten-a-flu-shot-to-get-one-immediately/

The Centers for Disease Control are warning Americans that anyone who has not gotten a flu shot this year needs to get one immediately. The CDC issued out serious calls for flu shots on Thursday afternoon, stating that the flu this year is turning out to be very deadly and the season still has weeks or maybe months to go until it is over.

Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 8:06pm
Funny that their urging people to get vaccinated when a lot of people who have gotten the flu even those who have died have also gotten the vaccine.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 9:07pm
People die of Flu every winter.

Its a dangerous disease and a major killer.

Whe now face 2 or more Superbugs - H5N1 and H7N9 and whatever other nightmare from the Chinese Death Star.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 4:49am
The vaccine is effective when it produces an intense immune response. Unfortunately some responses are weak and insufficient antibodies are produced, rendering the shot near useless.

They say you should exercise after the shot to increase the effectiveness. I'm dubious as to the veracity of the claim, but it cant hurt. I also read something about having a secondary flu shot, which makes more sense to me.

If I were in an environment where a killer flu was circulating. Not only would I consider getting a shot, but seriously considered a secondary booster.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 5:02pm
cobber,that is probably good advice.Johnray1
Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 5:54pm
Any thoughts about why CDC issued this warning so late in the season? Is there something we should be reading into this?
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Seawolfe Seawolfe wrote:

Any thoughts about why CDC issued this warning so late in the season? Is there something we should be reading into this?

This article has the basic facts - H1N1 is a particularly deadly strain in younger age groups, and these groups should be vaccinated because they are young enough to generate a strong immune response.  

Many in this age group are "immortals" and consider themselves immune or unlikely to catch a lethal disease.  Pretty stupid, when there is a very effective vaccine available.  

I agree, if you haven't had this season's flu shot, get one. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/02/20/urgent-cdc-warning-of-threat-from-h1n1-swine-flu/

Most worrisome to officials is who’s getting sick – because it’s not the elderly and infirm, as you might expect. Instead, more than 60 percent of those hospitalized were between the ages of 18 and 64, according to CDC reports published today in this week’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). And a scary 60 percent of flu deaths have been among those 25 to 65.

This is a big change from past flu seasons, in which adults under 65 have made up just 35-45 percent of those seriously ill enough to be hospitalized.

CRS, DrPH
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:15pm
The number of flu cases has dropped significantly.

I've been on this flu site for a long time now and it just seems as if everyone here is super paranoid about getting any kind of flu.

Look at the CDC's list of Leading Causes of Death.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:24pm
I agree.
This comes from an msn affiliate site and hasn't been 'news' for over 5 years. No record of being rereleased (you can check what stories came out over the last few days)
My guess is someone was looking for some media to support a bit of 'paranoia' as you put it. Forgot to check the date.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:36pm
Sorry mid posted above on wrong thread.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

The number of flu cases has dropped significantly.

I've been on this flu site for a long time now and it just seems as if everyone here is super paranoid about getting any kind of flu.

Look at the CDC's list of Leading Causes of Death.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

Thank you.  The main difference is that influenza is an infectious disease that can be contained with widespread vaccination.  Our vaccination rates are just a fraction of what they should be.  

I'm highly trained in both pandemic influenza response and bioterrorism.  Dr. Frank Busta of UMN gave a talk about a hypothetical terrorist botulinum contamination in the dairy industry that produces thousands of mortalities.  He projected that such an attack would produce 57,000 deaths in about 12 days, with an economic impact in the billions of $ US.  I wrote to him for an explanation of the economics, and he said:

"However, one can do the math on value of life depending on age and profession ranging from >$8,000,000 for young children to <$1,000,000 for elderly and see that 57,000 deaths alone (without consideration of other economic losses) would undoubtedly >$100 billion."

This line of argument is typically not even discussed in public health.   Therefore, the mortalities of the H1N1 outbreak include some of our most economically valuable citizens, who could be protected from the illness at pennies per vaccination. 

I'm more super-paranoid about getting into an auto accident in Chicago commuting traffic, but epidemiology is a numbers game.  
CRS, DrPH
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 4:08pm
I think the warning is just that a warning, mainly because this virus is acting more like a pandemic virus than a normal seasonal flu. Espesially when you look at the age groups beeing most affected (Which is not Normal). ((((Warning))))
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 8:27pm
Thanks CRS. Good articles. The Forbes article may not have the same credibility as the CDC article but I did pay attention to the statement that the season "still has weeks or even months to go". Guess we will know more over time.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by Seawolfe Seawolfe wrote:

Thanks CRS. Good articles. The Forbes article may not have the same credibility as the CDC article but I did pay attention to the statement that the season "still has weeks or even months to go". Guess we will know more over time.

You are very welcome, Seawolfe!  

The H1N1 "swine flu" is an interesting bug....it seems to have sprung from a swine herd near Veracruz, Mexico that I was working with some years back (Cargill farm).  I read the genetic profile while it was spreading, it had some interesting reassortment RNA pieces mixed in - a combination of swine, avian and human genes.  

This was when the H1N1 balloon went up:  http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_24/en/

I've been shouting for over a year about the pandemic potential of H7N9, to largely deaf ears in the public health community.  I think they were stung by putting all of their grant dollars into the H5N1 basket, and "bird flu" is something of a joke in society.  

More to follow as I find it!  It's a pleasure to contribute to AFT.  Be safe, Chuck
CRS, DrPH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic