Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

It's been fun but I'm finished.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Saskabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's been fun but I'm finished.
    Posted: March 05 2014 at 11:26pm
It's been fun but...
Thank you Avian Flu Talk for trying to provide a forum for the exchange of information. I have ventured in and attempted to contribute. I expected that differing opinions would be welcome. I made the mistake early of engaging with a long established member and disagreeing with his/her opinions. I regrettably characterized some of those opinions as being 'tin foil hat' material and quickly apologized. I have attempted to provide balance to an extreme point of view but instead of healthy debate have encountered something much less positive. Good luck to all. I hope the next newcomer with a different perspective will have a better experience than I have.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 6:56am
Hold on Saskabush....  We can probably get this figured out and there is no need to leave. 

Stick around,  some debates tend to get a little out of hand, but whoever upset you, it was probably not their intention. Feel free to email me at albert@avianflutalk.com

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 7:02am
Saskabush, I came here to read flu-news. In the General discussion-part I did find general discussions. I welcome differents point of view, the reasons behind those views. But I do not like endless pointless discussions when there is nothing new in that. 

It is not my role "to provide balance to an extreme point of view". If someone likes that point of extreme world-vision he/she is entitled to that opinion just like I have the right, here, to post my ideas-even though I admit they sometimes are biased and not wel checked. 

T put what I am trying to say in a comparison, "I am sailing my own boat, with more boats around me. Sometimes there might be a collision, I am not waiting for someone to chase me". Sorry to hear that you do not feel free enough here "to sail your own boat"!
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 7:27am
Yes I do only follow the health related news on here but I do enjoy reading discussions and other peoples views. Its a nice diverse environment in my opinion.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 10:40am
I haven't contributed to any discussions in a while because the site, at the moment, seems a bit overrun with paranoid conspiracy theorists. I come here for news on the flu or for interesting and relevant survival / prepping ideas. I don't come here to listen to people raving about some vast conspiracy. 

The content of this site seems to come and go in waves. Just recently I haven't even bothered to read most of the posts because I'm simply not interested in conspiracy. I suspect any newcomers at the moment would lose interest pretty quickly and look for something with more substance since there is very little that is actually flu related. This whole great debate about China being a death star is a case in point.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 4:44pm
That was the title of a Bloomberg article about China having a Bubble - remember 2008? - and as the 2nd largest economy in the world, a bubble bursting is serious.

Anyone who says such a situation is a good thing is deluded its serious.

Also all the diseases from The Spanish Flu possibly to SARS to all the nasty flu bugs now spreading are all from China.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 5:30pm
Tin foil can protect you from back ground radiation. Don't knock it.

I advocate tinfoil underware too.
cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 5:36pm
I haven't been here in a while too. 
Much of the flu stuff has slowed to a snail pace. 
There is still concern over H7N9 clustering in China, but other than that there aint much going on.

oh yeah and the possibility of world war three. No biggie

China collapse is well over blown and the thing economists can't get a handle on is China's black economy. We are experiencing a black economy boom time....
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 6:18pm
The Housing Bubble collapse and GFC was no trivial matter at all.

China is worse.

And its falling as we speak.

The Demographic Cliff 

How to Survive and Prosper During the Great Deflation of 2014-2019

Harry Dent, Schwartz, 358pp. $29.99
After a year of buoyant real estate, sharemarket and superannuation returns, this book is a sobering reminder of the risk of relying on price bubbles for prosperity. While mainly directed at the US economy post-GFC, it has many lessons for economies such as Australia and Canada that have benefited from rising real estate and commodity prices. Dent, who has written a series of prescient books over the past 20 years, applies demographic research to conclude that Western economies face a prolonged period of deflation. For Australia, the outlook is “more like a stall for a decade and then slower growth after that”. The de-leveraging of consumer debt and falling commodity prices linked to a bursting of the China infrastructure bubble could lead to a halving in share, house and commodity prices.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/the-deal-magazine/essential-reading-by-harry-dent-ross-garnaut-and-steven-mandis/story-e6frgabx-1226832930960
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 9:29pm
cobber... LOL "oh yeah and the possibility of world war three. No biggie"

We did not have much flu at our school but Noro virus was big before Christmas and now the colds have taken over.   

I think many people were protected by the flu shot and I know those are fighting words for some but I think it works.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 1:57am
I came to this Flu-talk forum to discuss the flu/health issues. Western Europe largly escaped from a severe flu-season but I am very interested to hear news from elsewere. H7N9 might escape both the flu-season and China, H5N1 is still around, even MERS. Both they all are far away and news from them is difficult, partly also because of language difficulties. 

The general discussion-part gives room, in my idea, for people who want to discuss "general things". Those issues might not be interesting for all readers, (sorry if my writing is not interesting !) but in my opinion there is enough interest on this forum to discuss things other than health-issues. Since nobody knows things for certain it would be nice if people could show maximum respect for oneanother. Sometimes I miss the will to accept that opinions differ. 
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 4:06am
Spot on again Josh! 

I understood that this was the place for other discussions than flu and for non-immediate flu stuff.  I also appreciate the differing views.  Only by listening to both sides can you stand any chance at all of working out what is going wrong.

One slight disagreement though,  your writing is never boring.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 4:07am
Oops I should have said "stand a chance of what is going on".  

Then again maybe not...... at least in Ukraine.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 5:16am

Well we all did our part and tracked the two emerging pandemic threats with MERS and H7n9, and luckily it didn't happen.   We've been doing this for nearly 9 years here and we'll be around for another 9.   During these times, off topic discussion and tracking other world events usually takes place in General Discussion. 

On another note, lets hold off on calling new members trolls and being too abusive if someone shares their opinion or engages in a debate.  Those are borderline personal attacks and we don't want to chase people away.  The OT discussion and personal opinions tend to heat up around here when flu season dies out, but it's best if we stick together and keep following various events, without running people off. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 3:41pm
My point was all the influenza pandemics and possibly the 1918 pandemic and SARS and all the current flu nasties all come from China.

On top of which I read a Bloomberg article which describes China as a Death Star.

For posting that I get told I wear a foil hat - which is a personal attack on my sanity and trolling.

All I did was post articles from reputable news sources such as Bloomberg and I am attacked and told I wear a foil hat.

I am not laying down and taking abuse like that.

Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 6:12pm
Food for Thought
This year's flu did not (so far) blossom into a full blown pandemic or a sever out of control epidemic. That may have given us all to much time on our hands and we drifted away from our focus. I plan to go back to basics - - do we think we are out of the woods in regards to this year's flu season?
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 7:20pm
the influenza virus mutates by shift and by drift

so far it has drifted and the H5N1 and H7N9 bugs are almost human viruses.

But if 2 viruses like H5N1 and a human flu like H3N2 or H1N1 for example, infect a human or pig at the same time the genes mix and the whole thing is human ready.

That could happen tomorrow.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 12:22am
Usualy the end of the flu-season on the northern hemisphere means the beginning of the flu-season on the southern half of the earth. Severe epidemics in one part do not predict that much on any other part of our planet. 

Also to variaty of virusses H10N8 in China, H5N8 in Korea, H7N7 etc should provide enough interesting information. The "flu-season" is a statistic instrument, nothing more. H7N9 this time might remain active during warmer weather. With MERS, resistant forms of Tuberculosis etc. possible coinfections are widespread. 

Better translations would be a great help; it would be nice when a new member on this forum was able to better translate from Chinese, Spanish or Arabic news sources. But also the severe present
 flu-cases, that are still trying to get better, treatment-methods etc. is worth discussing.
~Albert Einstein
Nergal View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nergal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 6:38pm
Tin foil has many great uses.  However I should point out it is actually made from aluminum which is not so good for human heath.  I would advocate steel or copper wire to construct psychotronic defenses.  It is human friendly and defelects all types of harmful radiation more effectively than aluminum.  Steel mesh is used in Microwave oven doors so you can peek in at your food without massive radiation exposure or burning your face off.  My friend, take a rest and return in due time.  These parasites can drain you of your life force and emotional energy creating a demoralizing atmosphere.  Yes, psycological parasites are very real.  Go ahead, get your laughs and cheap shots now.  Done laughing?  Grown up yet?  Good, as I was saying.  These psychological parasites have been here manipulating humanity from behind the curtain since the beginning.  You are thier food source.  You raise food and eat it.  Who said we are the top of the food chain?  Do you really believe that?  Early man considered these beings as Gods because they displayed feats we considered not possible.  They aren't gods.  They aren't even humans.  They come from some where else and have used us as a natural resource.  Many apologies, a "Human Resource".  Hense your human resource department at your job or local political office.  You are given access to enough of your brain to operate a motor car, various tools, computers ect.  That is is though, any more than that and you are an enemy of the state.  If you aren't on your knees begging to be forgiven for crimes (sins) that you did not even commit then you need to work and earn thier money.  When you aren't doing those things then you need to be entertained.  There is an entire industry for this, music, movies, books, sports and so on.  When your needs are paid for with thier money that you are killing yourself to earn, it must be spent on this entertainment product.  That way what ever brain functions you have left over are polarized with sensationalism entertainment nonsense.  The next day you can swoon over the loss of your favorite sports team or celebrate a win.  You can see you favorite movie/tv star uncover the gripping plot to its climax.  Or you can beat the bad guy in a virtual enviroment generated by the magic xbox or playstation.  Meanwhile the control system plugs away at its personal agenda using thier human conterparts to keep the rest of you in line with its laws and rules.  Most of you call them Police or Federal agent of some kind.  They are all the same in the end and they are not friends of humanity.  They are noones friends, they are the prison gaurds and you are the prisoners.  The warden class of course treats those gaurds very well and even the warden class are not to control system in its entirety.  The humans that leave the potential to raise all hell, they have spacial poisons for you.  Drugs and alcohols of all kinds to keep you in a powerless stupor.  That is why they poison the tap water with sodium flouride.  That is why they make poisonous food additives and as of late, the chem trails to litterally attack the air you breathe.  Let us not forget cigarettes, they poison those as much as they can.  They don't want to kill us off with it, merely to weaken and keep you in that state.  These my friends are sad facts.  Ever hear of GMO's?  Genetically modified organisms?  Genetically modify the food and you can modify the being eating that food.  You can put in a syringe and sell it as a cure.  Make sure you get vaccinated, we can't have you running around with good immune systems now can we.  Children as young as 12 months are required to have these modifying vaccines and everyone seems ok with it.  I guess it is ok to poison your babies in the name of health.  Make sure your infant only gets flouride water with that formula.  Go ahead and poison our children, its for thier health.  Poison yourself while your at it so we can sell you a product that doesn't exist called insurance.  That way you can spend the paper you killed yourself to earn so you may live a little longer.  At the end of it you die anyhow.  An investment well worth every penny.  You see, that way you can give your money away to some financial agency that will deny your coverage for this reason or that.  That way you have thrown your money in the trash, gotten terribly ill chasing the money that you have thrown away and have to foot the bill for the snake oil that won't cure you anyhow.  Brilliant, I wish I thought of this, I could be rich.  It makes as much sense as pulling a pin from the hand grenade and tossing the pin while clutching the hand grenade.  That is how the control system likes it to be.  If you don't like it then I encourage you to change it.  I have spoken outwardly like this before and don't have many friends as a result.  I am ok with that.  I know who my real friends are and they deserve my friendship.  The rest, well lets just say they are beyond anyone's help.  One thing controllers have a history of, they always fail.  They may seem to have the upper hand and might maintain that for a while.  As time goes on it requires unbelievable amounts of maintinence and eventually become unsustainable.  After a period of instability it all crashes down.  Those caught in the destruction of it are severely traumatized by it.  The trauma creates submission.  Of course this is all intentional.  Then you get to be like my friend Saskabush, engaging with the parasite and eventually submit to it.  The more you struggle, the more you feed it.  It is time I think to challenge these out moded ideas and ancient advesaries of humankind. 
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 6:47pm
oooookay

just sit still and don't play with anything sharp and some nice men in white coats will be there soon.

They have a nice jacket that does up at the back and a nice little room with padded walls.
Nergal View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nergal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 7:07pm
Kilt2, very funny comment.  I like sharp things.  When will the nice men with the white coats get here?  I want to show them my sharp things and just how good I have gotten with them.  I sure could use a nice new jacket.  My old one wore out from wriggling out if it too many times.  I am sure your simple comment with vitually no thought behind it has amused you to no end.  It amused me.  It didn't take me long to point one out.  He he he.  I tell you what, write something that at least has enough substance to become debatable and I will get back to you in a year or two.  If you really dismiss these things as a joke, well, then too bad for you.  At least you have your sense of humor, your going to need it.  I came here seeking intelligent conversation so I MUST be crazy.
alpha480v View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alpha480v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 2:10pm
Hey Nergal, have you ever heard of Paragraphs?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Dutch Josh Dutch Josh wrote:

Usualy the end of the flu-season on the northern hemisphere means the beginning of the flu-season on the southern half of the earth. Severe epidemics in one part do not predict that much on any other part of our planet. 

Also to variaty of virusses H10N8 in China, H5N8 in Korea, H7N7 etc should provide enough interesting information. The "flu-season" is a statistic instrument, nothing more. H7N9 this time might remain active during warmer weather. With MERS, resistant forms of Tuberculosis etc. possible coinfections are widespread. 

Better translations would be a great help; it would be nice when a new member on this forum was able to better translate from Chinese, Spanish or Arabic news sources. But also the severe present
 flu-cases, that are still trying to get better, treatment-methods etc. is worth discussing.

I agree.
Imagine how valuable a Chinese, feet on the ground contributor might be to this forum during an emergent event.
Then try to imagine how unlikely this forum could attract such a person with the likes of Kilt posting the non stop Death Star BS.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 5:00am
Guests, I do not come here for Kilt or for any other person I com here to find and discuss news in a usefull way, when possible. A "forum" is a marketplace were all people offer their own thing otherwise it has no use of exchanging views and opinions. I do not always agree with other people on this forum and I hope others do not always agree with me, but lets discuss things !

We, as humans, have so much in common, living on this planet for such a short time. I do not want to invest energy in fighting other people or claiming "he started it"; I'm to old for that now. 

If you want to stay angry over BS while "BS" is all around on this planet feel free to do so !
~Albert Einstein
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 5:32am
Its not BS

I got the title from a Bloomberg article - and the economy in China is in dire straits like the USA before 2008.

Apart from the economic calamity about to hit the planet, there are 2 viruses about to deal death all around the planet - H5N1 and H7N9.

Both from China and both ready to deal death to millions.

If you don't like it - stiff cheese - life's a bitch and then you die.

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 1:32pm
Dutch Josh,very well said.Johnray1
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Nergal Nergal wrote:

Kilt2, very funny comment.  I like sharp things.  When will the nice men with the white coats get here?  I want to show them my sharp things and just how good I have gotten with them.  I sure could use a nice new jacket.  My old one wore out from wriggling out if it too many times.  I am sure your simple comment with vitually no thought behind it has amused you to no end.  It amused me.  It didn't take me long to point one out.  He he he.  I tell you what, write something that at least has enough substance to become debatable and I will get back to you in a year or two.  If you really dismiss these things as a joke, well, then too bad for you.  At least you have your sense of humor, your going to need it.  I came here seeking intelligent conversation so I MUST be crazy.

I.....

I got nothing.

And it's "You're" as in You Are.

As opposed to the possessive Your.

If you're going to be bat***** crazy, you might as well have good grammar like the rest of us who are insane.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 6:44pm
WHAT TO DO????
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 9:59pm
Hey, I love this place!  Hug

I haven't seen that much tin-foil hat material....even the "death star" posts had some good back & forth! 

It ticks me off that EVERYONE got all riled up about H5N1....the US public health system has been all ramped up, waiting & waiting....  isolation wards at hospitals were built, n95 flu masks stockpiled, endless training etc.  

Viruses ain't that predictable, folks.  Already, the mortality count for H7N9 far exceeds H5N1, but the world of public health just yawns.  H1N1 swine flu burst out unexpectedly, and the public health infrastructure were caught pants-down.  MERS silently incubates, while many other potential pandemic agents (Nipah, Marburg etc.) are laying in the weeds.  

Keep on posting!  And don't forget, that tinfoil hat MAY protect you if we have a Carrington Event sized coronal mass ejection!!  
CRS, DrPH
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 2:10am
@Kilt, if this forum had to much BS I would not be here ! With your story concerning China having a combination of risk-factors I think you have a point. China is on its way from a third-world country to a leading economy and that does bring risks. When you look at living conditions in Africa I am surprised only HIV/AIDS did get a world-wide problem. A lot of missery stays in Africa due to poverty and (therefor) a lack of transportation. Ebola usualy stays local and remote because "it travels on foot or maybe on a pickup-truck". On the other hand Western economies also sometimes look like organized chaos. China is a problem but it is not the only problem and the only way humanity can survive is by worldwide co-operation. Pandemics, supervolcano's, climatechange, economic problems, poverty demand a worldwide aproach !
~Albert Einstein
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 4:24am
CRS DrPH, I love this site too. 

I also love the BS, as long as it has not got nasty.  Turboguy's grammar lesson will have me chuckling for a week.  If I split my sides I just might escape my own jacket!

Seriously though,  As a long-time prepper, I sleep better at night knowing that this early warning system functions so well.

Even the BS can sometimes be revealing.  The realy big science breakthroughs usually come from the "left field" or fringes.  If we all only followed the mainstream we would still be searching for phlogiston and the ether.  The scientific method is still the driving force but when it is wielded by the very bright they can look mighty wierd to everyone else. 

So keep the tin foil hats in production, turn up the BS and  power to the nutters! HA HA HA HA!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 5:11am
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

Hey, I love this place!  Hug

I haven't seen that much tin-foil hat material....even the "death star" posts had some good back & forth! 

It ticks me off that EVERYONE got all riled up about H5N1....the US public health system has been all ramped up, waiting & waiting....  isolation wards at hospitals were built, n95 flu masks stockpiled, endless training etc.  

Viruses ain't that predictable, folks.  Already, the mortality count for H7N9 far exceeds H5N1, but the world of public health just yawns.  H1N1 swine flu burst out unexpectedly, and the public health infrastructure were caught pants-down.  MERS silently incubates, while many other potential pandemic agents (Nipah, Marburg etc.) are laying in the weeds.  

Keep on posting!  And don't forget, that tinfoil hat MAY protect you if we have a Carrington Event sized coronal mass ejection!!  

Carrington Event ???

why that's just kids stuff Big smile

apparently something a whole lot nastier hit the Earth at one time Cry

Solar peril: Could a giant sunburst unplug the Earth?

http://jacksonville.com/news/2014-04-06/story/solar-peril-could-giant-sunburst-unplug-earth#ixzz2yDnMmAsV

article contains a few things I had not heard of before

“Nor could we know whether the Carrington event was as bad as sunstorms get. Melott, in a 2012 paper, proposed that material from a solar megaflare 10 times the strength of the Carrington kind bombarded this planet around the year 775. There just weren’t wires to get blown out. There were cedar trees, however, that absorbed a heavy dose of something from outer space.

Japanese scientists discovered a baffling spike in carbon-14 deposits within tree rings dating to the eighth century. In a study published in the Journal Nature, they floated the possibility of a supernova causing the deposits because a burst so powerful from the sun had never been recorded.

But Melott, along with Washburn University professor Brian Thomas and others, countered the Japanese findings with their own published study. It challenged the notion that the Carrington event was the all-time mother of sun flares emanating to Earth.

Carrington “was a biggie,” Melott said, but maybe not the biggest. Beware the “Charlemagne event,” Melott’s nod to the eighth-century warrior and king.”

move over Carrington !

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 8:09am
If you look through the thousands of posts going back to AFT's early days you'll probably see more non-flu related posts, especially in (but not limited to) the general discussion section. It's just the nature of the forum to go OT when flu drops out of the news, and if you stick around long enough to see the alert level go up and down a few times, you'll get used to the diverse thread topics that keep AFT ticking over between pandemic scares. If a thread isn't to your liking, just leave it alone and post in the ones that are relevant to your interests. There are sites that cater just to pandemic flu related topics and don't tolerate much in the way of off topic discussion (or free thought...), but I find those to be too dry and self important to spend much time in. It can get a little contentious here at times, but at least it's never boring.
Stick around to see how much fun it is around election time Shocked
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Nergal Nergal wrote:

I came here seeking intelligent conversation so I MUST be crazy.

Yep - we hear that a lot around here.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 9:22am
Election time, Jacksdad?  That is everyday.  We are warming up for an independance referendum here.

Opinions please! 

Anyone?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 10:10am
Technophobe,will London accept an independent Scotland?Johnray1
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 1:22pm
Assuming the vote is yes, then yes.  They have no real choice.

However, it is probably unlikely it will be a vote for independance.  The independance movement here has been growing steadily for decades but it started as quite a small minority.  The government in London saw the writing on the wall (for a change-they usually fail to predict things quite spectacularly) and decided to go for a referendum while Scotland's independance movement was still quite small.

The idea seems to to have been to call their bluff.  It could still backfire though.  There are a lot of Scots who are rabidly anti-English.

The English government then did something amazingly stupid, even for them.  They tried to force the Scottish to remain in the union by insisting they could not share stirling currency.  This turned out not to be true (as was leaked or so it seems, of course that may be a lie).  They continued finding "reasons" to stay in which repeatedly turned out to be either false or only half true.  This has enraged/inflamed many Scots who now do not believe anything which comes out of Westminster.  They are the undisputed masters of the "own goal".

I, myself, am of Irish/Scottish descent.  However I was born and raised in England and sound English.  My heart says vote for independance but looming potential discrimination makes my head say vote against.   I await the outcome with bated breath.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 2:03pm
I have been a member of the SNP (Scottish National Party) for approximately 25 years and I can state categorically that the Scots, in general, dislike the English intensely, consider the Irish to be at best "second class citizens" and generally dislike "incomers"  ie. people of non Scots origin. 

I am on my father's side of Norman and Irish descent, on my mother's side Native Canadian, Native American and "white" Canadian.  I am middle class.  My father was honoured by her Majesty in 1960 and obviously my father's family arrived in Britain around 1066 and have served the British nation ever since, one way or another, militarly and as civil servants.  I, myself, personally have spent my life serving my country one way or another.  Yet, certain members of the Scottish Social Services lied about comments I had made and I was arrested and charged with a number of serious offences.

If you have a gun licence and the appropriate weapons and the police come to your house the first thing they do is to take your guns and your gun licence.  Although all the charges brought against me by the Social Services were proved to be spurious and dropped, I was at the time the police arrived working on a 9mm shotgun in my bedroom.  The bolt was locked in my gun cabinet, so legaly no crime was commited.  I was also charged with having a shotgun which was not registered.  My paperwork showed that I had registered it though the police claimed it was never sent in to them.  I believe this to be untrue and that the local police had problems with their computing services at the time and a number of gun registrations did not go through at their end.  Incidentally I did not have the financial rescourse at the time to hire high class lawers to contend this.  So the gun charges stuck.

Needless to say it is my personal opinion, which I say without prejudice, that there is judicial and police corruption in Scotland, at least in this area, and certain sections of the Scottish Social Services are also corrupt.  These are minor, politically motivated, officials who appear to believe that they have the right to indulge in any activity they like and expect backing from the police, whether they are right or wrong.  For these reasons I will not be voting yes to independance and am actively campaigning against the SNP.

Finally, whilst carying out the (now known to be ilegal orders of the two women concerned in these events)  I had an accident and ruptured my abdominal aorta.  This has caused me to be a permanent invalid for the last three years and though I survived the 97% fatal odds of my operation, my lifespan is now, obviously, extremely limited.  So I don't realy give a damn about the machinations of our useless politcians or the snooping of any of their various cronies (GCHQ etc).

Incidentally, I have met a lot of wonderful Scots, but they were people who would have been wonderful kind and considerate no matter where they came from.  The only people I would trust in Great Britain are Her Majesty the Queen and her family.

I hope that does not sound too bitter Johnray, or any of you who are of scots descent but it felt really good to get it off of my chest!
I like Ike
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 7:31pm
Anyway - other than that dissertation - the reality is :

1 China is an economic Bubble - all bubbles burst

and

2. Deadly diseases H5N1 and H7N9 and SARS - all come from China.

China is a death star. If Snatchwatch doesn't like reality - not my problem.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 9:20pm
CRS, DrPH
Saskabush View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saskabush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Kilt2 Kilt2 wrote:

Anyway - other than that dissertation - the reality is :

1 China is an economic Bubble - all bubbles burst

and

2. Deadly diseases H5N1 and H7N9 and SARS - all come from China.

China is a death star. If Snatchwatch doesn't like reality - not my problem.

You just won't let this go will you?
Will the name calling continue indefinitely?
Your reality is someone else's propaganda/BS.... And you regard my opinion the same way. I get that.
But seriously... Hold off the name calling please. Your choices are getting increasingly more offensive!

Can we end this now???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic