Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

The Coming of an Ice Age

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Coming of an Ice Age
    Posted: April 14 2014 at 8:24am
http://www.climatecentral.org/blogs/tornado-drought-ends-with-a-deadly-texas-outbreak-15994

Varying reports, some of more than a hundred tornadoes, and definitely incidents in Texas and Iowa sound he alarm for disaster preparedness and review of some of the useful information on this site.

Since another mass thread on here, the Coming of an Ice Age is still possible, we are going to see shifts between icy subzero weather (which is still happening in some ares) to unstable harsh weather across the plains and the deep south.

These are not new weather patterns, yet the idea is to monitor their intensity versus the last ten years and continue to prep - with droughts, and a second winter is hitting part of the United States.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-live-updates-snow-ice-latest-20131106

After a taste of spring to end this past week, the Rockies and Midwest are flipping to a wintry feel as colder temperatures dive south the next couple of days. In fact, there will be just enough cold air in place to result in wet snow accumulations in parts of these regions.

Current Radar

Background

48-Hour Snowfall Forecast

Below are the forecast summaries for the regions affected by this wintry weather. The maps show where snow is falling right now, and our latest snowfall forecast.

Snow

• On Monday, a stripe of light accumulating snow will extend along the I-35 corridor from far northern Oklahoma to the Kansas City metro area, shifting east during the day.
  • A second area of snow Monday will pull through parts of northeast Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan early in the day.
  • Monday evening into Tuesday, rain may change to wet snow before ending from the mid-Mississippi Valley into the in the eastern Great Lakes, Upper Ohio Valley and centra

comment: Winter is not over yet.
Medclinician - not if but when - original
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 5:25pm
As fresh water from ice melt flows into the Seas it upsets the Thermohaline current system and the fresh water freezes easier than salt water.

There are Arctic pulses - and years without summer and we get an Ice Age.

I get the impression its happening.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 2:58am
A large part of Western Europe did not have a real winter this winter-time. For the Netherlands April was the fifth mont in a row that will end up in the top ten of warmest months. Since december 2013 all months are 2 or 3 degrees celsius warmer than average. I was expecting a summermonth with a maximum of 40 celsius for our country, the way things develop we might see that recordtemperature this summer (with drought, bushfires, increased mortality etc). I do not know what would be better, temperatures going down-a mini ice-age or "moving into the (sub)tropics ?
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:15am
They are all horrid  Josh.  I think I prefer warmer as you can grow more crops (use excess heat to generate energy to move more water about).  That could just be my ageing joints speaking.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:22am
No scarcasam, for once a serious statement in spite of my previous levity.

Between the dates 126,000 to 119,000 years ago the polar regions of the earth, in particular the north pole were two degrees warmer than they are now and we were having a warm period, as we are now. Then, without fear of repeating myself, as is happening now, the weather went haywire for a short period of time.  Then it slapped us with an ice age!  This put several thousand feet (for the benefit of those educated later than me up to 3 kilometers) of ice over everything north of northern Germany, the river Thames in England, most of Canada and the US and most of Asia. 

This turned us all into short, stocky caribou hunters and triggered, aparently, the development of  the modern type of brain, more suited for developing technology.  We lived in small tribes and there weren't many of us.

This lasted for 40,000+ years.  Then there was another short warm period when the ice retreated, followed by another ice age.  This was the one most people think of as "The Ice Age" it was in fact one of many.

About 13,000 years ago the whole lot started to retreat again and some big people with advanced stone weapons nipped across and took over the Americas and became Native Americans.

The rest of us ran around all over Asia, Africa and Europe forming tribes then nations and eventually doing what we do best (having wars with each other) and claiming colonies in the New World (Australasia and the Americas again).

Now the strange thing is, different times are given for each of the ice ages because ice cores are taken from different points in the polar regions.  But one thing stands out.  It appears that  over the last couple of milion years we have had long periods of ice cover, dented periodically by around (and it's fairly regular) 13,000 years of warming.  Then the weather goes crazy for a short while followed by an ice age, and the cycle repeats.

Unfortunately no one has yet really found the cause of this cycle.  There are enough theories and enough different versions of what I have just written for every paleontologist, climatologist, anthropologist, and any other 'ologist you can think of, to have his or her take on it.  If they are not retired old men, they will roughly toe the line agreed by the various  scientific institutes (that is how you keep your grants!). 

Fortunately, there are enough curious and intelligent people, in forums like this one, that are capable of thinking outside the box and ensuring the survival of the human race - along with their own.  It has been warm for about 13,000 years now.  The weather is going crazy too. Dead

I like Ike
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by WillobyBrat WillobyBrat wrote:

...and eventually doing what we do best (having wars with each other) and claiming colonies in the New World....

LOL

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Medclinician2013 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:42am
Despite a lot of denial on many parts of this we still are facing severe climate changes which may bring on a worsening of the weather in the current Ice Age.  I do receive a lot of dismal reports on extremely bitter cold which for some has been relentless and pounding storms and tornadoes.

U.S. .gov has picked up the banner and despite any real effective plan to do much, is admitting we are in the middle of some type of seriousl climate change.  Some areas are still fighting snow and weather which continues to set records.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/06/administration-issues-dire-climate-change-warnings-amid-regulatory-push/

The Obama administration fueled its push for energy regulations with a massive new report Tuesday linking climate change to extreme weather across the country and warning of more "climate disruption" if the nation doesn't change its ways. 

The National Climate Assessment, four years in the making, gave a region-by-region breakdown of how climate change is impacting the United States -- in the form of droughts, heat waves and increasingly intense hurricanes, according to the report. 

"Climate change, once considered an issue for a distant future, has moved firmly into the present," the 840-page report states. "Corn producers in Iowa, oyster growers in Washington state and maple syrup producers in Vermont are all observing climate-related changes that are outside of recent experience."

comment: One can hope this is not simply politicial posturing but a final admission there are issues.  What can be done about probable damage to the ozone layer and the continued pouring of chemical and HAARP?

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/geoengineering-is-destroying-the-ozone-layer/

Restating the obvious - glaciers continue to melt in some cases at rates which over the last 20 years are much greater than usual. The dilution of the stream which helps keep us warm will result in dropping temperatures and the start of perhaps a brief but nasty hundred years which could turn the norhern United States and much of northern Europe and even more so already cold areas around the world into places very difficult to live in.

Medclinician
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 5:21pm
It is beginning again in the heat of summer.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/late-july-summer-cool-down-20140724

On the heels of one July polar invasion, yet another cooldown is in the forecast for the beginning of next week.

A large dip in the jet stream, also known as a trough, will usher cool air south from Canada into much of the central and eastern U.S. behind a cold front. Temperatures will be as much as 20 degrees below average for this time of year in some areas, and most areas will see at least one or two days with temperatures 5 to 10 degrees below average -- a noticeable difference at a time of year when many of us spend the most time outdoors.

(MORE: Coldest July Days in U.S. History)

What is notable about this cooldown is not just the fact that it will take place in mid-summer, but that it results from a pattern that seems to be frequently repeating.

The same jet stream pattern we'll see next week showed up not only in mid-July, but during much of the January-June time frame as well. As a result, much of the country east of the Rockies was much cooler than average for the first half of 2014, while the West was unusually warm.

comment: It isn't over. Medclinician

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 6:15pm
Strangest weather I've ever seen. I burned twice as much wood as normal last winter and burned it much farther into the spring. It's almost August and we have not hit 100 degrees yet. Been good for the garden though!
Buy more ammo!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 6:21pm
Question: If the we are having these "cool down troughs" does that mean that the north pole is getting warmer?

I see reports that the Antarctic ice is getting bigger due to extreme cold on the south pole.

Then I see that the sun is going "silent" and we are going to get colder due to this.

Oh, yes we have the Al Gore's out there saying we have the CO2 green house effect...maybe we need it with the sun going silent.

So anyone out there know the whole story?
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 6:59pm
It's been really humid in Southern CA these past two weeks. I was melting at Comic-Con yesterday. The high humidity also gave me an earache/ possible infection. :/
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

It's been really humid in Southern CA these past two weeks. I was melting at Comic-Con yesterday.

It is very humid here as well in Carmel, California.  The bottom line is whether these are just fluctuations or is there a pattern and are we headed for a century of intense cold which will  make the northern portion of the U.S. arctic.  We need to keep on this and above all prepare - that is the point here. Most of the U.S. and its people are not prepared for a major disaster of any kind, much less several.

Medclinician
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Then I see that the sun is going "silent" and we are going to get colder due to this.

I always have to laugh whenever people say, "It's because of us humans that it's getting warmer/colder/more humid/etc"

Take a look at the big ball of fusion eight light minutes away. What's it doing?

We have an impact, but it is far less than we give ourselves credit for, and that big ball of fusing hydrogen? It has far more impact than we will ever give it credit for. I suppose that we, as a race, have delusions of grandeur, and it's cute.

But we still, to this day, can not predict the weather more than a few days out with any semblance of accuracy. Maybe someone should let Al "The center of the Earth is several million degrees" Gore and his hockey schticks in on that nasty little secret.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 7:54am
Turboguy,I agree 100%.Johnray1
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 8:02am
Ditto
"And then there were none."
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 2:14pm
YEP!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 4:12pm
Nope
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 4:26pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 4:44pm
Speaking of Algore, was I just dreaming or did I really read recently that he made an almost secret deal with the Chinese for $100,000,000 to have our Edison incandescent bulbs banned and replaced with the Chinese pigtail? Don't mean to start another argument but really, when you think about it, we were warming up nicely with those bulbs and now that they're mostly gone (got my stash), all I've been hearing about is that now the globe is cooling. Maybe it's all just in the bulbs? Lets ask Chuck.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 11:45am
Incandescent bulbs are seriously old school and definitely needed to go - a glowing metal filament dangling in a glass bulb with a 90-10 heat to light ratio is not the kind of technology we need to be fighting to keep in the 21st century. I think I have some floppy discs in the garage that would look great next to your stash of bulbs, though... Wink
And it was actually George Bush that signed the legislation to phase them out back in 2007. A Republican administration killed your light bulb, dude. Sorry.

"...all I've been hearing about is that now the globe is cooling...".
That's all you're hearing?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Incandescent bulbs are seriously old school and definitely needed to go - a glowing metal filament dangling in a glass bulb with a 90-10 heat to light ratio is not the kind of technology we need to be fighting to keep in the 21st century. I think I have some floppy discs in the garage that would look great next to your stash of bulbs, though... Wink
And it was actually George Bush that signed the legislation to phase them out back in 2007. A Republican administration killed your light bulb, dude. Sorry.

"...all I've been hearing about is that now the globe is cooling...".
That's all you're hearing?

You got me. Kind of. The pigtails are certainly substantially more efficient. Though you practically have to call the EPA if you ever break one. And the color they put off is nauseating. But ultimately they are a much better energy saving choice. Bush signed the bill, granted. But it was a Democrat bill with only four in opposition -including its sponser- while most Repubs opposed it. It was veto proof. Not that Bush would of vetoed it. I don't know. And, as most of us know, GE among other major left supporters pushed the legislation to better profit off the substantially more expensive pigtail. But I have no argument about the energy saving part and I'm only being humerous in this lightbulb thing anyway. I just thought it was funny and ironic that the global warming debate is now (seemingly) turning to a global cooling debate in the midst of the hot/cold lightbulb switch. And no, duh, that's not "all I've been hearing about." That's just kind of a figure of speach.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:10pm
Not a huge fan of energy efficient bulbs other than the substantial savings, but they finally got us away from some seriously outdated technology in a meaningful way. They're not bad when they eventually reach full brightness (just about the time I'm leaving the house typically) but LEDs are really making inroads.
I hear you on the color thing - it can make a difference. Full spectrum bulbs can be beneficial in places where extended winters, and short or non existent days can cause seasonally effected disorder. Incidentally, LEDs can be tailored to any spectrum and last an ungodly long time. How did we get on to this anyway...?
And of course the Republicans opposed a Democratic bill. It's the way it works. One party likes it but the other hates it - even when they thought of it first. Just politics as usual.

Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

...And no, duh, that's not "all I've been hearing about." That's just kind of a figure of speach...

I got that. Just messing with you LOL

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:19pm
I have a very large stash of incandescent light bulbs and am very glad that I do. We also use fluorescents in the basement, garage, and some timers in the main floor. But, I will never ever give up my 3-way bulbs in my reading lamps. I have over 30 of them!

If everyone is so concerned about the heat generated by incandescent light bulbs and wasted energy, then we should go back to the blue laws and close all businesses on Sunday. This would save all sorts of energy from reduced lighting, heating, and cooling!

If you live in a large city like I do, haven't you ever wondered why these huge office buildings are burning lights on every single floor of tall buildings until after midnight? They simply can't be cleaning all those floors at once until the wee hours of the morning. START THERE WITH YOUR ENERGY SAVINGS AND LEAVE ME AND MY INCADESCENT BULBS ALONE!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:32pm
Lol. Me too JD With all the talk of flu bugs etc I sometimes break away for a breather is all. I'm not a musician at all but a little cow bell or whatever can make a song cool. Anyway, back on topic.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:36pm

Not a huge fan of energy efficient bulbs other than the substantial savings, but they finally got us away from some seriously outdated technology in a meaningful way. They're not bad when they eventually reach full brightness (just about the time I'm leaving the house typically) but LEDs are really making inroads.
I hear you on the color thing - it can make a difference. Full spectrum bulbs can be beneficial in places where extended winters, and short or non existent days can cause seasonally effected disorder. Incidentally, LEDs can be tailored to any spectrum and last an ungodly long time. How did we get on to this anyway...?
And of course the Republicans opposed a Democratic bill. It's the way it works. One party likes it but the other hates it - even when they thought of it first. Just politics as usual.

You know, environmental savings...

Except for all that delicious mercury.

What did we get rid of incandescent bulbs again?
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 9:39pm
Elver, I was making a joke about bulbs and presidents and heat and cooling. It wasn't for serious.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 12:13am
Hey, nuttin' to do with me, Elver - not a member of the legislature last I looked. Just saying that as a society hungry for energy, I think we can do better with the technology available.
I'm absolutely on the same page as you with respect to large office buildings, but they typically use flourescent strip lighting, not incandescents. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to teach the staff to turn them off when they leave at night. Personally, I think it's more often a deliberate move to advertise a business's presence, especially when many high rise office buildings typically have a corporate logo emblazoned on them.
As for Blue laws being a fix for anything - I'll pass. Sunday's the day when I get most of my stuff done, and I'd be screwed if stores were closed for business. I'm sure my wife wouldn't appreciate me getting under her feet either.
I just found a whole bunch of incandescent flashlights in the garage and tossed every last one of them. Lugging around a heavy flashlight filled with expensive C and D cells that I have to switch out after a weekend of camping is a great way to show how horribly inefficient incandescents really are. I use LEDs exclusively now, and I have incredibly bright flashlights that weigh ounces and will run on three AAAs even if I leave them on for days. Don't get me wrong - I'm all about old school where it matters, but not technology that was invented when a horse and carriage was still the most common thing on the road. My old Dodge has six dual filament bulbs in the tail lights and they were so dim during the day that people would tell me they weren't working, and having them all running through one circuit would melt the plastic fuse block at long stoplights. LEDs are available for auto applications now and fixed all my problems in one fell swoop, and they're not even particularly spendy these days given the 50000+ hour expected lifespan.

TG - I had no idea you were so environmentally friendly. We'll make a tree hugger out of you yet Hug

Seriously though, with your background in technology you're not really going to defend 19th century incandescent technology just for the sake of argument, are you? You're telling me that in your line of work you'd steadfastly continue to use a Lincoln era antique that was 5-10% efficient and pretty much guaranteed to crap out at a thousand hours, and refuse to upgrade to a modern high tech equivalent on principle? Probably not, I'm guessing. But then again, this is one of those arguments that became politicized a while ago, and no longer bears any relation to real world issues. And like I said, I'm no fan of the current crop of energy efficient bulbs. Says it right there in the quote.

Good to have you back, BTW Wink

Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 9:26pm

TG - I had no idea you were so environmentally friendly. We'll make a tree hugger out of you yet Hug

Seriously though, with your background in technology you're not really going to defend 19th century incandescent technology just for the sake of argument, are you? You're telling me that in your line of work you'd steadfastly continue to use a Lincoln era antique that was 5-10% efficient and pretty much guaranteed to crap out at a thousand hours, and refuse to upgrade to a modern high tech equivalent on principle? Probably not, I'm guessing. But then again, this is one of those arguments that became politicized a while ago, and no longer bears any relation to real world issues. And like I said, I'm no fan of the current crop of energy efficient bulbs. Says it right there in the quote.

Good to have you back, BTW Wink

Never left. I just can't post or even login at the base or on any government network. It says something about "Forums" so I just lurk.

That said, I'm a very staunch environmentalist, however I find that I am too much of a realist for the envirowackos. It's honestly not that deep a concept to not dump industrial chemicals into the river or clean exhaust prior to spewing it. For the most part American companies are phenomenal at doing just that. I always laugh at the dumbarse who squeals about how I, in my ecoboost engine truck getting appx 28 mpg highway am harming the environment while they, in their Prius which costs more environmentally than it will ever help, are saving the world.

Or even better, the retards who cry about miners digging rare earth metals out of the ground coordinate protests with their cellphones, post to their Facebook with their iPad, document it on their home computer, and eat a strict vegetarian meal while wearing leather Birkenstocks. Irony much?

The problem is that other countries, China especially, make up any reduction in environmental pollution by us up in increased pollution, and they plainly don't care, and if anything, have turned the pumps to eleven.

So, yes, I'd MUCH rather use an archaic design and waste the dinosaur blood keeping things lit than dump raw mercury into our environment. The diode lights are really nice, but then you're digging rare earths.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:18pm
Oh yous guys! Funny funny. But uniquely true! Remember Big Boot's hard hat? "If you don't grow it, you have to mine it." How profound! I have a Smith And Wesson flashlight. One double A. The LED is so bright it'll spotlight a low cloud. It'll also burn my hand it is so powerful. I love it. Except it kills the battery in one hour flat. But I also have the other kinds of LED flash lights that are also bright and will stay on for days or more. So I can't knock modern bulb technology. It all has its pros and cons. Old bulbs use way more power up from power plants and that creates more pollution. But the nicely warm and dimable incandescents don't give me headaches and I am therefore more productive. Hybrids use less fuel but cost much more to buy meaning one has to work harder, longer, drive more, use more energy to produce work etc just to afford them, never mind that they're ugly as d***! It all ballences back out I think. Except for Gore. He made out like a Mexican bandit durring the goldrush.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:23pm
I hear you about China - they've cornered the market on rare earth metals and mine them without any consideration whatsoever for the environment or their own population. The problem is that many emerging "green" technologies rely heavily on rare earth metals, and the uncertainty of any market controlled by China makes it all but impossible to finance R&D into alternative energy over here, so it's all heading to China which will ultimately corner those markets too. The ironic thing is that rare earth metals are abundant here in the US, but outdated legislation dating back decades concerning thorium contamination prevents us from using them, and actually requires us to dispose of them in huge quantities because of the thorium content. And the ironic thing is thorium is an excellent fuel when used in liquid salt reactors, and is reckoned to be four times more abundant than uranium. If we got our act together, we could be self sufficient in rare earth metals AND relatively clean and safe nuclear energy.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

...never mind that they're ugly as d***!

I know - what's up with that? Unless you drop enough coin on a Tesla or Fisker, that is.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:24pm
I've never seen either up close. I'm sure both are very finely crafted throughout. Super premium luxury and you get what you pay for. Wish I had one and you the other.

TG, I forgot from a few years ago that you are Military.

Salute!🇺🇸
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic