Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola virus: Why isn't there a cure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola virus: Why isn't there a cure?
    Posted: July 29 2014 at 11:55am
Ebola virus: Why isn't there a cure?

Ebola first appeared more than three decades ago, but there is still no cure or specific treatment for the disease, in part because the dangerous nature of the virus makes it difficult to study, experts say.

People with Ebola are treated with only general therapies meant to support the ill patient. They might be given fluids (Ebola patients are frequently dehydrated), or treatments aimed at maintaining blood pressure and oxygen levels, and treating infections if they develop, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So why aren't there more specific treatments for Ebola?

Part of the reason is that Ebola is caused by a virus, rather than bacteria, and researchers in general have had a harder time developing treatments for viral diseases, compared with bacterial diseases, said Derek Gatherer, a bioinformatics researcher at Lancaster University in the United Kingdom who studies virus genetics and evolution.

"Antiviral therapy has lagged behind antibacterial therapy for decades," Gatherer said.

That's because viruses are small molecules that produce only a handful of proteins, so there are fewer "targets" for treatment, Gatherer said. For this same reason, it has been hard to develop a vaccine against Ebola; a person's immune system (which is primed by vaccines) has a small target, Gatherer said.

Ebola viruses also evolve quite quickly, so it's not clear whether a vaccine developed today would protect against future outbreaks, he said. (Ebola viruses belong to a family of viruses called Filoviridae, and there are five known species of Ebola virus.)

And because the virus is so dangerous in some outbreaks, the mortality rate has been as high as 90 percent researchers must work with the virus in special facilities with high-level safety precautions, which limits the number of experiments that can be done.

"There's only a handful of places in the world were you can actually do Ebola experimentation," Gatherer said. Ebola viruses require a "biosafety level 4" laboratory the highest level of protection.

In addition, relatively few people have ever been infected with Ebola, and even fewer have survived, thus making it hard to study the virus in people or examine whether there are certain biological factors that help people survive, Gatherer said.

Ebola first appeared in 1976, in outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Sudan. The origin of the virus is not known, but it is thought to reside in bats.

People become infected with Ebola through close contact with infected animals, and the virus spreads person-to-person through contact with bodily fluids, such as blood or secretions, according to WHO. Symptoms include fever, muscle pain and headache, followed by vomiting, diarrhea, rash and, in some cases, internal and external bleeding, WHO says.

The Ebola virus attacks immune cells, and can cause the immune system to run out of control and release a "storm" of inflammatory molecules, which cause tiny blood vessels to burst, Gatherer said. This blood-vessel damage can cause blood pressure to drop, and lead to multiple-organ failure, Gatherer said.

Some potential Ebola treatments show promise in animal models, including compounds that interfere with the way the virus replicates. Other experimental treatments aim to prevent the virus from entering cells, by blocking the proteins on the surface of cells to which the virus binds.

Another therapy in the works involves injecting mice with parts of the virus and using their antibodies to treat infection. In a 2012 study, four monkeys with Ebola survived the infection when they were given a combination of these antibodies one day after infection.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/07/28/ebola-virus-why-isnt-there-cure/
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 12:09pm

Big Pharma only make drugs to cure diseases with a big enough pay off to recoup the significant research costs necessary to get FDA approval. An African virus that had killed maybe a thousand subsistence level villagers and showed no interest in leaving Africa wasn't going to get the green light from any company capable of making a vaccine or cure. It's all about the money, I'm afraid.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 12:56pm
JD said-"It's all about the money!"

I'm afraid you are dead right! If this disease only effected rich old white guys there would already be a vaccine!
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 1:03pm
Pretty sad reflection on our society, isn't it?

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 1:19pm
The Pasturs and Madame Curie would not recognizes the world today! What would the world be like if Fleming had patented penicillin? People used to practice medicine and study the sciences to help others! Few do anymore!
Buy more ammo!
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 2:51pm
Thanks for that article Irish. It is more clear to me now the challenges. They still need to increase the research and experiments on this virus though. And realistically, no I don't expect a few at the top to sell their boat or jewelry to finance it. More money has to come in from somewhere because the old money is spent.
"And then there were none."
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 10:59am
Amen.Johnray1
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 11:32am
BSE and vCJD: why no cure?

These two linked diseases are 100% fatal and have shown up in our food chain, for gawd's sake, yet no cure exists for them. Perhaps not enough people died?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 1:01pm
inthesticks - I don't think that funding is a issue in this case. Prion diseases present a whole new set of problems that we're nowhere near getting a handle on yet. The discovery that BSE and CJD are caused by prions is a relatively new discovery itself in the grand scheme of things. Nasty little buggers.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

inthesticks - I don't think that funding is a issue in this case. Prion diseases present a whole new set of problems that we're nowhere near getting a handle on yet. The discovery that BSE and CJD are caused by prions is a relatively new discovery itself in the grand scheme of things. Nasty little buggers.

I agree 100% with JD!  Precautions against consuming the brains, spinal cords and other nerve tissue from cattle has done quite a bit to dial back the new variant CJD (mad cow in humans) that was widely reported.  

Traditional Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is still very much a medial mystery.  There are only a handful of cases reported in the US every year:

Classic CJD has been recognized since the early 1920s. The most common form of classic CJD is believed to occur sporadically, caused by the spontaneous transformation of normal prion proteins into abnormal prions. This sporadic disease occurs worldwide, including the United States, at a rate of roughly one case per 1 million population per year, although rates of up to two cases per million are not unusual. The risk of CJD is higher in older persons; in those 60 years of age and older, the average annual rate has been approximately 4.6 cases per million.

Whereas the majority of cases of CJD (about 85%) occur as sporadic disease, a smaller proportion of patients (5-15%) develop CJD because of inherited mutations of the prion protein gene. These inherited forms include Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome and fatal familial insomnia.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/

OK, now if we had a prion illness that was readily transmissible and established itself in the human population, we'd sing a different song!!  

Keep your eyes on Chronic Wasting Disease in deer and elk.  Deer and elk don't eat each other's brains that I am aware of....they must be transmitting the infectious prion through saliva, urine etc.

CRS, DrPH
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 3:54am
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

Keep your eyes on Chronic Wasting Disease in deer and elk.  Deer and elk don't eat each other's brains that I am aware of....they must be transmitting the infectious prion through saliva, urine etc.

.............Or getting it from some other route we do not know of yet.  Prion diseases have such a long incubation period it can be almost impossible to trace their source.  My guess is eating the remains of shed antlers (a common trait in deer species as it ads back the minerals lost ).  Many herbivores will eat carrion given the chance.  I once had a pet rabbit who would only eat cat food with my pet cats.  Admittedly she thought herself a cat.  With other rabbit appetites, my cats were quite nervous.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:25am
I absolutely agree, Chuck - I lived in the UK when BSE first appeared, and despite assurances that it was passed only from mother to calf and would disappear in a generation, it continued to show up in adult cows within herds. I think you're right - traditional thinking on prions seems to give them less credit than they deserve as they can clearly infect a new host much more easily than first believed.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:54am

I absolutely agree, Chuck - I lived in the UK when BSE first appeared, and despite assurances that it was passed only from mother to calf and would disappear in a generation, it continued to show up in adult cows within herds.

Quite a coincidence, I lived over there as well (Devon, UK) during the cattle cull!  Brit beef was shut out of export markets, many ranchers went broke etc.  It was an awful time for many.  

BSE seems to have crossed species when poorly rendered sheep offal was fed to cattle.  Sheep have a prion disease called "scrapie," and people have been eating sheep with scrapie for many years, without apparent ill effect.  Avoiding the brains & spinal cord seems to be key. 

These days, there are layer upon layer of regulations by the USDA and others prohibiting feeding mammal proteins into other mammals (a surprisingly common practice in the world for years).  Interestingly, the residue from rendered cattle (old dairy cattle etc.) becomes "meat meal," a commodity product produced by rendering operations.  They cannot feed this to cattle any longer, so it is marketed heavily to poultry. 

Problem is, poultry litter is re-fed right into cattle in some parts of the USA (gross, but it happens), so some wasted meat meal/prions probably get into the animals through this route.  

Prion epidemiology is quite fascinating, I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg.
CRS, DrPH
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:50pm
My theory and it is probebly way off the mark, but is that prions have been around as long as proteins and life itself and somehow are a part of the building blocks of life or are a product of it. Kind of like a crystal or like pyrite is to iron. They grow but are not alive as we generally know life. They may serve some unknown function and or may be specific to certain species. I do remember reading that many or all of us may have them but in some of us entually they displace or eat away at our brains leading to Alzheimer's and other such ailments. I don't know though. It's a very interesting subject that I want to research everything on soon.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

My theory and it is probebly way off the mark, but is that prions have been around as long as proteins and life itself and somehow are a part of the building blocks of life or are a product of it. Kind of like a crystal or like pyrite is to iron. They grow but are not alive as we generally know life. They may serve some unknown function and or may be specific to certain species. I do remember reading that many or all of us may have them but in some of us entually they displace or eat away at our brains leading to Alzheimer's and other such ailments. I don't know though. It's a very interesting subject that I want to research everything on soon.

No, not terribly off the mark!  Our ignorance about prions is amazing.  I agree that we have likely had these in our midst throughout history, and the very long incubation period perhaps only becomes apparent as disease due to our much longer lifespan in the 21st Century.

The body contains normal prion proteins, so the abnormal/infectious prion induces folding in normal prions, leading to brain plaques (spongiform encephalopathy):

" A prion is a small infectious particle composed of abnormally folded protein that causes progressive neurodegenerative conditions. These mis-folded proteins do not multiply in the host organism that they infect. Instead they affect the brain structure by acting as a template, inducing proteins with normal folding to convert to the abnormal prion form.

These newly formed mis-folded proteins, in turn, act as further templates for the conversion of more normal proteins. There is therefore an exponential accumulation of the prions in the tissue of the central nervous system."

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-a-Prion.aspx

CRS, DrPH
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 1:07pm
On an Ebola cure, I know I have thrown that out there a few times but looking at it realistically and looking at the many decades chasing a cure for other contagious diseases I really don't see a quick breakthrough in this. The research should begin in earnest now. Especially since it appears to me that something has changed with this virus but in the short term there is much that can be done to put this fire out over there...for the time being.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 2:00pm
Back when prions were first being identified as the cause of BSE, I remember seeing an animation of a prion coming into contact with it's counterpart, a normal protein. The prion was able to cause the hydrogen bonds that ball up the chain of amino acids into a specific shape (and consequently, a specific protein) to change. The result was the creation of another prion with the same components, but different folds from the original protein. We have enzymes called proteases that break down proteins we no longer need, and they recognize the ones that need to be targeted. If they didn't, our bodies would end up with an overabundance of proteins serving no purpose. As Chuck pointed out, that situation occurs when prions build up as destructive plaques laid down in the brain, because proteases are no longer able to recognize the new shape and "clean" them out.
Chuck - maybe the answer is to tailor proteases to target known prions. Is there any research being done along those lines?
BTW, I have a lot of family down in the south (Dorset, Devon, Hampshire and Gloucestershire) but I was raised in the north. You certainly ended up in a beautiful part of the world
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 5:18pm

Back when prions were first being identified as the cause of BSE, I remember seeing an animation of a prion coming into contact with it's counterpart, a normal protein. The prion was able to cause the hydrogen bonds that ball up the chain of amino acids into a specific shape (and consequently, a specific protein) to change. The result was the creation of another prion with the same components, but different folds from the original protein. We have enzymes called proteases that break down proteins we no longer need, and they recognize the ones that need to be targeted. If they didn't, our bodies would end up with an overabundance of proteins serving no purpose. As Chuck pointed out, that situation occurs when prions build up as destructive plaques laid down in the brain, because proteases are no longer able to recognize the new shape and "clean" them out.
Chuck - maybe the answer is to tailor proteases to target known prions. Is there any research being done along those lines?
BTW, I have a lot of family down in the south (Dorset, Devon, Hampshire and Gloucestershire) but I was raised in the north. You certainly ended up in a beautiful part of the world

Thanks, JD!  I'd be there now if I could be!  I'm still in touch with my Brit friends daily!  

Regarding treatment for prion illnesses.....they are very rare, only about one case per million US population per year, so there is little incentive to spend much money on it.  I think that there are a few research projects looking into it, but conmen like Kawaoka and his ilk tend to suck all of the air out of the room, in an NIH funding sense. 

My gut tells me that we will find many more prion illnesses if we look for them aggressively.  Who knows?  Prion accumulation may be what causes biological aging!  
CRS, DrPH
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 5:32pm
" Who knows? Prion accumulation may be what causes biological aging! "

That was my thought exactly!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 9:59pm
I'll be heading back next year and hoping to find time to visit friends and family both in the south and up in Edinburgh. I have a pre-war car in the UK that I inherited from my late father, and I'm in the process of getting it ready to ship to the States in the next year or two. Hopefully this time I can get over long enough to do some meaningful sightseeing as the last few trips have been all business.

Interesting theory about prions and aging. I like it  Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic