Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Defcon 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defcon 4
    Posted: August 07 2014 at 6:41am
Hello gang.  We're going to go ahead and raise the alert level to defcon 4.  This does not mean a pandemic is imminent, but there is obviously a significant looming threat.  The Saudi Arabia case indicates that it will most likely expand its reach very soon.

We may or may not ever go beyond that level with this, but I suppose time will tell.   I would anticipate being at level 4 for several months or at least until the virus is contained. 

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
anon54 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 6:55am
Just a question for all you folks. What would be your tipping point to shelter in place? Or bug out?
I'm not trying to ask an invasive question here just curious. My personal circumstances have changed so its' bug in for my family.
P.S. Albert defcon 4 is a wise move. Thanks Albert.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 7:04am
Yeah, good move boss.

For this Ebola bug sheltering in place looks best (though not necessarily in an apartment block) as its air transmissibility is limited.

Ebola has a very high infectivity (in my opinion) I found a recent mathematical model giving it an Ro of 8.6 (though wikipedia rates it 1-4) smallpox is 5-7.  That, with its high CFR (fatality rate) means I close my doors wnen the first case hits my county.  Infection control measures of a lesser impact on daily life begin when it hits my country.  Meanwhile, we are amassing supplies and researching/planning NOW.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Yeah, good move boss.

For this Ebola bug sheltering in place looks best (though not necessarily in an apartment block) as its air transmissibility is limited.

Ebola has a very high infectivity (in my opinion) I found a recent mathematical model giving it an Ro of 8.6 (though wikipedia rates it 1-4) smallpox is 5-7.  That, with its high CFR (fatality rate) means I close my doors wnen the first case hits my county.  Infection control measures of a lesser impact on daily life begin when it hits my country.  Meanwhile, we are amassing supplies and researching/planning NOW.

This is pretty much what friends and I are planning - first tested positive case in Canada - stay home! This is a big country - some will say first in eastern or western Canada - but with air travel...I'd rather play it safe! Call me paranoid (it's ok - I'm getting used to it! lol) but I don't think bleeding from every orifice in my body is the way I want to go!
My current line of thinking is that this (outbreak/bugging in) will usher in the financial collapse - or may be the 'cover excuse' that's used for it, depending on your beliefs! Definitely want to be stocking up as much as possible at this time. Here (western Canada) if this takes another couple months to hit full bore - fall/winter will be coming on and then its a LONG time to the next harvest! Any extra groceries etc better be put away now... sure wish I had the dollars to get what I feel is needed!
Cherish each moment
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:40am
Ebola clearly has a very high Ro. If it is basically dissolving blood veins then it's got to be shedding at the very surface of the skin.

Myself I wouldn't shelter quite so quickly. For me I would wait until it had popped up locally. Otherwise it could mean a very long time in isolation, using up precious resources that may be needed when (if) it does show up locally.
"And then there were none."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 9:12am
Look let us be cool heads about this it does not spread that easily. However, I will not be going on any planes at this time but to SIP with a few cases...NO.

We all need to not look like nuts on Ebola it is not in North America except for the two flown to Atlanta. IF Ebola goes to a local area then we all need to be informed and warn family/friends. Until then let's keep good track of this nasty virus.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 11:22am
I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, FluMom. This isn't the kind of thing I prep for, and I don't see it being a SIP event.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 11:28am
I agree with both FluMom and jacksdad, I just don't see this being a SIP scenario. However I feel it is good to correctly inform people about Ebola as most of my friend on Facebook are starting to get weird paranoia without really looking at the facts with a clear and level-headed mind.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

However I feel it is good to correctly inform people about Ebola as most of my friend on Facebook are starting to get weird paranoia without really looking at the facts with a clear and level-headed mind.

Yep - me too. I've posted a few times on FB after friends have started panicking (or referencing "Outbreak". Really?). It's going to be an uphill battle because so many media outlets want the most sensational spin to increase readership, and some of the stuff they're peddling is really start to scare people.
I just wish the alien zombies that took Elvis would let him go so we could find out the truth Wacko

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 11:51am
Facebook friends should be referred to Ebolainfo.org

Aside from some being further panicked, most will at least be well-informed.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:01pm
I wish referring my friends to the group would help, but most enjoy taking the blue pill. Or say I am depressing them by giving them information. -_- I have told a few about us though and they lurk the pages at times. Then I have some friends who want the "zombie apocalypse" to happen.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

Facebook friends should be referred to Ebolainfo.org
Aside from some being further panicked, most will at least be well-informed.

Not sure about that. I hear the Chief Mod is an idiot Wink
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:00pm
That's a good idea. Someone should create an image with a comment so we can circulate it. With a share if you agree comment, etc...
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:33pm
Flumom, Jacksdad, do you know how long Ebola can survive on surfaces? Let's say someone with Ebola is sweating profusely and touches something, say a supermarket trolley handle, how long will that virus remain alive?

I'm also going to avoid flying, not that I was planning to go anywhere, but I will say that I've travelled alot in my time, and every time I get back home after a trip, the first thing I do is get to the supermarket to stock up. Normally it's the middle of the night and within a couple of hours of arriving home. 

I'm concerned about travellers doing the same. Surely it is feasible that someone with Ebola but not yet deathly ill could do the same thing and inadvertently leave the virus all over the place. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:50pm
KiwiMum-This is from the Canadian Safety Data sheet. It's from an earlier post by Elver.

SECTION IV - STABILITY AND VIABILITY

DRUG SUSCEPTIBILITY: Unknown. S-adenosylhomocysteine hydrolase inhibitors have been found to have complete mortality protection in mice infected with a lethal dose of Ebola virus (30).

DRUG RESISTANCE: There are no known antiviral treatments available for human infections.

SUSCEPTIBILITY TO DISINFECTANTS: Ebola virus is susceptible to sodium hypochlorite, lipid solvents, phenolic disinfectants, peracetic acid, methyl alcohol, ether, sodium deoxycholate, 2% glutaraldehyde, 0.25% Triton X-100, β-propiolactone, 3% acetic acid (pH 2.5), formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde, and detergents such as SDS (20, 21, 31-34).

PHYSICAL INACTIVATION: Ebola are moderately thermolabile and can be inactivated by heating for 30 minutes to 60 minutes at 60ºC, boiling for 5 minutes, gamma irradiation (1.2 x106 rads to 1.27 x106 rads), and/or UV radiation (3, 6, 20, 32, 33).

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days (23). Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70°C (6, 20). Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation.
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:56pm
Thanks arirish. Those are some scary numbers - especially the stable infectivity for several days. I'm assuming that's indoors because UV will kill viruses outside, but it's worrying when you think how often people touch their face, and how infrequently most people wash their hands properly.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

That's a good idea. Someone should create an image with a comment so we can circulate it. With a share if you agree comment, etc...

For Facebook. you mean? I like it Thumbs Up
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 2:24pm
Question:  If it's that deadly and it's out of control and can be contained via quarantine, why haven't flights been banned temporarily and people kept in quarantine for 25 days before travel?  Aren't there proactive measures that can be done in order to immediately stop the spread?  If it's that hard for it to spread, seems to me they would just "STOP" the entire regions and put a freeze on any travel of anyone for 25 days to try and get a handle on it.   Yet they continue to let people travel.  Something doesn't seem right.  If it's that dangerous and that out of control, why not stop everyone in their tracks? 
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 6:47pm
sleusha, who is they? I don't think "they" exist. There is no central government / world order than can make that call. Individuals might think it's a good idea but no one can police it globally. The best that can happen is for an individual country to close it's own borders to all incoming traffic.

But just imagine what would happen to a country like the UK or the USA if the government made that call? It would have such an effect on the economy.

It's not feasible either to monitor all travellers. When all long haul flights mean a stop over in some other country where other flights merge and passengers all change flights, it would impossible to filter out the safe from the non safe.

You can't keep people in quarantine for 25 days unless you are a police state. No one in their right mind would voluntarily opt for 25 quarantine with a bunch of strangers, would you? 

I agree with you that it is stupid to keep air travel open at this point and feel that with hindsight, authorities may well regret not shutting their borders before it reached their shores. There's no point in closing a border once Ebola has crossed it.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by anon54 anon54 wrote:

Just a question for all you folks. What would be your tipping point to shelter in place? Or bug out?
I'm not trying to ask an invasive question here just curious. My personal circumstances have changed so its' bug in for my family.

Kind of torn here...

The 0bama admin/CDC just came out and said that Ebola getting in this country is an inevitability.

Reading between the lines, one of more of the people tested are coming up positive and they don't want to incite major friggin panic because anyone and anywhere those people are that are infected are going to have people exodus overnight.

Letting it be known that Ebola has gotten loose isn't going to do Ol' Zer0 any favors with his open borders policy, nor is it going to help him with what he thinks is him being in control. Imagine the economic and social disaster if it is found to be loose in a major metropolitan area.

So my being torn is from me living in the city. If they come out and say it is genuinely loose, it means that things are irrevocably out of control. Should I bolt ASAP or wait until the craziness stops, then leave?
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
ginerlee View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginerlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

sleusha, who is they? I don't think "they" exist. There is no central government / world order than can make that call. Individuals might think it's a good idea but no one can police it globally. The best that can happen is for an individual country to close it's own borders to all incoming traffic.

But just imagine what would happen to a country like the UK or the USA if the government made that call? It would have such an effect on the economy.

It's not feasible either to monitor all travellers. When all long haul flights mean a stop over in some other country where other flights merge and passengers all change flights, it would impossible to filter out the safe from the non safe.

You can't keep people in quarantine for 25 days unless you are a police state. No one in their right mind would voluntarily opt for 25 quarantine with a bunch of strangers, would you? 

I agree with you that it is stupid to keep air travel open at this point and feel that with hindsight, authorities may well regret not shutting their borders before it reached their shores. There's no point in closing a border once Ebola has crossed it.
 that is why this has gotten out of hand, that is the excuse the governments in Guinea and Seirra Leone have given since April 2014.  I do not think it is time to panic quite yet, however the W.H.O. has said since April this was the worst it has seen since the 1995 outbreak they said at the time it was going to be hard to find the chain of transmission.  That was in April, doctor's without borders have been basically screaming since spring they need help, as of late July W.H.O. said they were setting up encampments (what that means I don't know).  The recent mass exodus of volunteers in that region reminds me of rats jumping ship.  That is why certain militaries  have gotten involved they were told, fix your own mess, but we'll give ya some money.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 7:56pm
KiwiMum- My question exactly! Who are "they"? The WHO? They seem to be completely ineffectual! To start with they're bankrupt and on top of that they have no real power! "They" can only ask country's to do what they've signed on to do! The WHO can only make suggestions as far as I know.
The U N ? that's a laugh!
What country is going to Quarantine itself for a month? The economic damage would be astronomical!
People would be starving and eating more bush meat within a few days!
What a mess we've made of the world!
Buy more ammo!
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:17pm
Turboguy,I would until the initial craziness is over and then go to your safe place. No one can over come a mob or beat one,wait until they are tired and some are dead,then move quickly and quietly.Once you start to move,do not stop for anything.From the way you talk you have a family.Get them to safety even if you have to hurt some people.Johnray1
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Couldn't agree more. There isn't even a cohesive group dealing with the outbreak on the ground, let alone one that could require sovereign states to close their borders and watch their economy sink without trace. That's their call, right or wrong.
We can restrict inbound air traffic however, and many international airlines have already suspended services to airports in affected regions. As much damage as it would do to developing economies heavily dependent on exports, if governments that are failing to control the virus within their borders don't start getting their act together soon, it should be explained that they can fully expect to be cut off from the rest of the world for the duration of the outbreak. Maybe the specter of international isolation will get them up to speed about the way their problem is fast becoming an international one.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:33pm
She probebly means the UN. Which is really no more than a committee made up of many nations that already do not like each other. But in light of the threat I would think they would be calling an emergancy full session any minute now to at least figure out who of the members are capable of substantially providing resources and coordinance to stamp this outbreak out. They certainly are able to acomplish that with a war looming. Well this is a war.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:35pm
TG - I'm really not seeing this outbreak as a reason to lock the doors and SIP.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:36pm
I agree Jacksdad. This is a slow virus that the Western world can kill within their borders. I feel sorry for Africa they have a long hard battle.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Originally posted by anon54 anon54 wrote:

Kind of torn here...

The 0bama admin/CDC just came out and said that Ebola getting in this country is an inevitability.

Reading between the lines, one of more of the people tested are coming up positive and they don't want to incite major friggin panic because anyone and anywhere those people are that are infected are going to have people exodus overnight.

Letting it be known that Ebola has gotten loose isn't going to do Ol' Zer0 any favors with his open borders policy, nor is it going to help him with what he thinks is him being in control. Imagine the economic and social disaster if it is found to be loose in a major metropolitan area.

So my being torn is from me living in the city. If they come out and say it is genuinely loose, it means that things are irrevocably out of control. Should I bolt ASAP or wait until the craziness stops, then leave?

Good point....if we have to go into defensive mode, it will likely be because the population wigs out & goes nuts & not because of the actual incidence/prevalence of the Ebola virus.   

We've probably all seen cases where our local population went a bit crazy because of some rumor....

I'm just not that worried about Ebola, even if the USA had a few hundred cases.  Shelter in place for a few incubation periods, the public health quarantine police will ensure that it gets snuffed out.  I know the laws that apply.  Just stay off the streets & public transit, which are crazy in my town anyway. 
CRS, DrPH
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

TG - I'm really not seeing this outbreak as a reason to lock the doors and SIP.

Meh, they haven't said that things are out of control in the United States either.

My temporary SIP will begin when they start saying, "Uh Oh..." Might that be too late? Perhaps. Hell, probably. But I'll know that things are major league out of control when it's pretty much "Grab what ye can boys!"

I'm a big proponent of the theory that "If you're not at your spot when the SHTF, you're not going to get there" but at the same time, no sense in going full chicken little. Realistically the time to close the borders was a month or two ago, and we should have militarized the southern one and had standing orders to shoot anyone trying to enter illegally.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 9:40pm
Thumbs Up

God help anyone that comes to your door with anything but good intentions, TG Wink
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:16pm
A pandemic is imminent - its likely to occur at any time.

H5N1 is ready to flick the genetic switch and infect humans big time - its in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.

H7N9 is exactly the same except its just in Asia and it has more genetic switches to change - and its doing that.

MERS - spreading.

Ebola - spreading.

One or more of these is about to blow.

A pandemic is imminent. 
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Thumbs Up

God help anyone that comes to your door with anything but good intentions, TG Wink

Curing the disease, 62 grains at a time.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:35pm
LOL

...180 grains in my case - hopefully they all stand behind each other in one long line so I can save some money.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 11:25pm
What have you got Jacksdad - an elephant gun?
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 4:30am
Turbo,

look at Lagos for your answer.

Run down the timeline from the American Sawyer landing the timeline of the other infections, and watch for the spread...if it does.
What your looking for is unseen spreading that culminates in reported illness.

For instance, if we see widespread infection (in Lagos)within a week from now, then you can extrapolate.

the point is it looks like you have a few days from the time they get the first reported case in a city. Sawyer died July 25th....2 weeks ago, already the nurse has died and others are sick. The 21 day incubation period ends next friday.

If we see 20-30 or more infections in Lagos by next week then we know it is circulating today and yesterday, meaning yesterday could be to late to bug out.

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 4:39am
It feels like it afterwards, Rickster - Russian M44. You run out of ammo and you can still stick capitalist pigs with the bayonet (seriously). After that gets too dull, you turn it around and use it like a 2x4.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 5:08am
I agree that it's inevitable that it will reach the U.S.  I'm guess probably sooner than later.  Somewhat hoping it reaches South America first so we have a little more time to prepare.   If it reaches here or South America then we'll go to defcon 5 as an Ebola Pandemic will be imminent, albeit a slow moving one that may not reek too much havoc on the U.S., but a pandemic non the less.   Defcon 5 will be a pretty significant warning that the time has arrived. 

With currently 2000 + cases in Africa and an outbreak this large, it could be at anytime.  

Also remember as you're out buying ammo lol, people will in fact begin to panic, SIP, etc.... and when that happens they will be searching all over the internet for info, and a large amount of the public will find their way here looking for it.  In that situation, you folks will be the experts they're look for.  You're not obligated to assist by no means, but actually you are!  Wink

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 5:16am
Sounds good, A.
The false alarm in Mexico got me wondering how they would cope, and how it might play out along the southern border. Being in SoCal wouldn't give us much lead time, would it?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 5:26am
No it wouldn't give us much time.  I'm in Long Beach and you're in Sand Diego.  I suppose it has to get thru you first, lol.   We could also go to defcon 5 if it reaches other continents or regions first.

I'm a little surprised that Canada has had no suspected cases.  H5n1 showed up in Canada.  SARS hit Canada first, etc...  They're somewhat of a hot spot.   Usually it's Canada, London, New York/California or Mexico as the wild card.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 5:36am
The Saudi case was not ebola either:  http://sunnewsonline.net/news/ebola-scare-man-dies-of-heart-attack

This does show the risks of panic.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 6:10am
Good job techno.

I'll be working on fixing and adding some things to ebolainfo.org.  The site is currently endexing with the search engines and is about to make a splashdown. With regarding to people searching online for info, that little site should dominate and really bring in a lot of new peeps soon.

Anyway, what helps improve the search engines and this effort is when links are posted on other sites.   If possible, maybe we can sneak a link on our facebook profiles, which will really kick start it.  Or on other forums, etc...  It's probably terrible for me to suggest that one, lol.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 7:06am
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

The Saudi case was not ebola either:

Not so fast - the article you referred to had this:

"The ministry, however, declined to reveal the test results of the deceased, to ascertain if the deceased has been suffering from the Ebola virus."

So he may, or he may not have had Ebola - we will have to await more details (a long time wait if it is like the Saudi reporting in MERS).
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:05am
Turbo- .223 Rem?
Buy more ammo!
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:14am
To be frank, once the guy was dead, they probably did not bother with the test.  They have such a bad reputation for containment.  Leave it all up to the will of Allah!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

No it wouldn't give us much time.  I'm in Long Beach and you're in Sand Diego.  I suppose it has to get thru you first, lol.   We could also go to defcon 5 if it reaches other continents or regions first.

I'm a little surprised that Canada has had no suspected cases.  H5n1 showed up in Canada.  SARS hit Canada first, etc...  They're somewhat of a hot spot.   Usually it's Canada, London, New York/California or Mexico as the wild card.

How I Longo for Dago! Gives me goose bumpsies.

Canada has probebly been more honest than us and Mexico...overly honest? Looking at the current infectious disease maps tracking of spread, Mexico and further south is on the radar. Just a hunch of mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic