Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Defcon 4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:40am
My tipping point is when we have a dozen cases spread out in the U. S.

I inventoried our food yesterday and will fill in the gaps immediately!

cobber View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:49am
my tipping point too. 

Dozen cases linked in a cluster

I dont actually think it will get there. Lots of hysteria 
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 9:02am
I would like for everyone to dismiss the idea that it doesn't spread easily because it does! They aren't wearing moon suits for nothing.

If the WHO doesn't ban flights out of Africa, then this will quickly become a worldwide disaster.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

I would like for everyone to dismiss the idea that it doesn't spread easily because it does! They aren't wearing moon suits for nothing.

If the WHO doesn't ban flights out of Africa, then this will quickly become a worldwide disaster.

Good points!  This outbreak shows the growing commercial influence of the African continent.  

Nigeria is still an OPEC country & major oil exporter, and their economy has been diversifying and growing. 

Liberia is a source of latex & has facilities by Bridgestone-Firestone (Japanese company) taking advantage of the resource.

Nestle is HUGE in Africa, which produces cocoa butter for chocolate.  Lots of other stuff = coffee, minerals, etc.  

Speaking with some in the business community, I get the sense that they are "whistling past the graveyard."  My own financial advisor said it was just "a few cases," a day before CDC activated its EOC and the WHO started holding emergency talks.  The money folks just don't get it, so they will keep flying their junior execs into the jungles to make more cash.  
CRS, DrPH
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 10:09am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

It feels like it afterwards, Rickster - Russian M44. You run out of ammo and you can still stick capitalist pigs with the bayonet (seriously). After that gets too dull, you turn it around and use it like a 2x4.

Not to derail, but check out the light ball 7.62x54r. You're shooting the heavy stuff and yeah, it kicks the piss lot of you.

Its like 147 grain.

www.gunbot.net
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 10:16am
Seems Ebola is now in Mexico...

District Federal.- Jose Antonio Gonzales Figueroa, the first case is confirmed in Mexico and infected with the deadly Ebolavirus. Joseph was admitted and isolated immediately after going to the emergency room with high fever and having confessed that had just returned from vacation in an African country.

The first confirmed case after taking necessary and with the support of the United States government evidence, is in the city of Mexico. Young is a medical student at the UNAM of 22 who went on vacation to an African country and was there for almost a month. Young returned to Mexico on August 2 and was admitted the next day by high fever,vomiting and diarrhea. The young and being treatedand medical staff came to the United States and Mexico today in the morning to determine the best control strategy.

So far the Ministry of Health has issued several statements to the federal government so far have not received any response. The releases include arecommendation to temporarily suspend the return to classes until you confirm that you have controlled the virus. The health secretary said he will continue trying to communicate with the government to prevent a pandemic in Mexico.

WHAT IS THE VIRUS EBOLA?

Ebola is a virus that is found naturally in some species of bats and other birds that have their habitat in the forested areas of Africa. Since her first diagnosis in 1976 18 cases have resulted in several countries: Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, Sudan and Gabon. After an incubation time which may take several days to 4 weeks, the initial symptoms are high fever, muscle aches, diarrhea and vomiting that can quickly turn to internal bleeding that can lead to death of the infected, in most cases, . Because there is no known treatment, doctors face this virus trying to relieve their symptoms by strengthening the immune system. A large high percentage of the dead is cleaning staff has been in contact with infected without having complied with the appropriate preventive measures.

The pandemic of Ebola virus that is currently infecting four countries in Africa ah increased exponentially in the last 3 weeks and ah killed at least 338 people in about 6 months. The first cases of Ebola dating from 1971 and it was in Africa that were found. Many people wonder why there is still no cure for this virus if you already have many years of detection. Some experts argue that any organization worldwide ah considered profitable to invest in research for this deadly virus.

From: http://eldiariodechihuahua.mx/El_Pais/2014-08-06/Confirman-primer-caso-de-ébola-en-México/2066c91ca473570526ad0eae6b25250

This is my phone, so I can't embed...
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 10:26am

Chuck said:   "Speaking with some in the business community, I get the sense that they are "whistling past the graveyard." My own financial advisor said it was just "a few cases," a day before CDC activated its EOC and the WHO started holding emergency talks. The money folks just don't get it, so they will keep flying their junior execs into the jungles to make more cash."

And this is exactly how it will be brought back here, airborne of sorts.
"And then there were none."
gingerlee View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

No it wouldn't give us much time.  I'm in Long Beach and you're in Sand Diego.  I suppose it has to get thru you first, lol.   We could also go to defcon 5 if it reaches other continents or regions first.

I'm a little surprised that Canada has had no suspected cases.  H5n1 showed up in Canada.  SARS hit Canada first, etc...  They're somewhat of a hot spot.   Usually it's Canada, London, New York/California or Mexico as the wild card.
                                                                                                                                                 This is an older article but I feel it still has some relevance.  This was right as they were determining that this was a new variant strain of the Zaire Ebola virus.  I have a question if some one might know the answer I would appreciate it.  Do health agencies have to confirm all suspected and confirmed cases of Ebola to the public?                                                                                                                                                             bigstory.ap.org/article/man-canadian-hospital-ebola-symptoms
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 11:28am
I hear you. The stuff I've been getting lately is 148 grain and much more comfortable. First time I put 40 rounds of heavy ball milsurp through it, I didn't just get a bruise - my shoulder was purple. Lots of fun seeing all the other shooters at the range jump every time it let loose a two foot fireball, although it's really dirty ammo (and corrosive) and takes a lot of cleaning.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

I hear you. The stuff I've been getting lately is 148 grain and much more comfortable. First time I put 40 rounds of heavy ball milsurp through it, I didn't just get a bruise - my shoulder was purple. Lots of fun seeing all the other shooters at the range jump every time it let loose a two foot fireball, although it's really dirty ammo (and corrosive) and takes a lot of cleaning.

Yeah, they're loud too. You have the carbine. I'm sure it is incredibly loud.

That said, just squirt some Windex in the bore after shooting.

Option b is to get a funnel and dump hot, slightly soapy water down the bore. As it is a bolt action you don't have to worry about getting corrosive in any action. So the only corrosive deposition will be from the throat to the muzzle. The reason it is corrosive is because the primers use fulminate of mercury. When fired it leaves mercuric salts. The water will wash it away.

Afterwards clean as normal.

Old school guns like the Mosin are the penultimate prepper rifle. They're decently accurate, cheap, wicked powerful, and the corrosive ammo will literally last forever. Also they don't draw attention like a big sniper rifle or an AR/AK will. Well... until you fire and its a camera flash accompanied by a hellacious BOOM!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 12:52pm
Another quick heads up - off topic. I've changed a few titles around here and fine tuning some things. For example, jacksdad never asked to be a mod, and now he's the chief moderator. Techno has been made a moderator in the same fashion. Moderating may not be needed that much at the moment, but possibly in the future. Aft prepping, you might say.

Best,
Albert
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:06pm
Albert,  Now I have gotten used to it, I love being a moderator.  Tell me what you want of me and I will try my best to do it.  Thanks for the compliment!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:16pm
I don't have any other forums I go to currently or I would of already posted the your link. As for posting stories up on EI, I have been doing so here and there but not prolifically as yet as I'm currently working only from my iPhone and it won't let me post clickable links to the sources. My Facebook is currently deactivated due to a situation that is potentially national news at any moment that I am working on. Have been for 33 years.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:21pm
Clap
CRS, DrPH
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:36pm
No worries onefluover.  It's not needed and I shouldn't have suggested it.   Appreciate it either way.

Techno, nothing needs to be done in the mod area.  It's just for down the road if this place picks up, then you can delete, go after spammers, watch for content, etc...  but that's down the road, maybe.  I'll message you here soon with more info. 

Keep up the good work. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:50pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Albert
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
karen View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 4:10pm
I bought N95 and N99 masks. I figure when it hits the continent all the healthcare workers will get health care supplies for their own families. When I ordered mine 3 companies were already sold out.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 5:59pm
Masks don't seem to cover the typical point of entry.

It seems that people touch something infected and then touch their mouth/eyes.

But then again I've heard that people who are fully suited with scba are catching it too.

The best method of prevention is social distance.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

No it wouldn't give us much time.  I'm in Long Beach and you're in Sand Diego.  I suppose it has to get thru you first, lol.   We could also go to defcon 5 if it reaches other continents or regions first.

I'm a little surprised that Canada has had no suspected cases.  H5n1 showed up in Canada.  SARS hit Canada first, etc...  They're somewhat of a hot spot.   Usually it's Canada, London, New York/California or Mexico as the wild card.

Hmmm

Concern over Ontario patient from Nigeria with flu symptoms
The person arrived at an ER in Brampton this morning
News1130 Staff      August 8, 2014 4:10 pm

(Coutrtesy: Brampton Civic Hospital)
TORONTO (NEWS1130) - A public health official says a patient at a hospital near Toronto has been isolated as a precautionary measure after showing flu-like symptoms similar to those characteristic of the Ebola virus.

Dr. Eileen de Villa with Peel Public Health says the steps are being taken because the patient at Brampton Civic Hospital recently travelled to Nigeria, which has been hit with an outbreak of the disease.

She says the patient is showing a fever and other flu-like symptoms but cautioned there has been no diagnosis yet.

She says the hospital has put heightened infection-control measures in place in addition to isolating the patient.

The World Health Organization says the latest Ebola outbreak in Africa is the largest and longest ever recorded for the disease and has killed at least 961 people.

Nigeria on Friday declared a state of emergency because of Ebola.
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 6:21pm
I would say thats the only way Turboguy.but how long would it take to burn itself out.And how would all the dead be handled
WHAT TO DO????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic