Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola and panic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola and panic
    Posted: August 08 2014 at 12:35pm
Which will be worse: Ebola or the panic it spreads? 

In the developed world where we all have access to soap, hot water and flushing toilets, and where most of us can read and have access to the media, surely we will be able to stop Ebola in its tracks.

What I don't think we will be able to keep a lid on is the panic that will come with the disease. Just about the most unpredictable, and therefore frightening, thing is a scared, poorly informed person. Particularly one with a gun - sorry America!

I'm wondering just how bad it will get. Will we see witch hunts? Mass hysteria? 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

In the developed world where we all have access to soap, hot water and flushing toilets, and where most of us can read and have access to the media, surely we will be able to stop Ebola in its tracks.

What I don't think we will be able to keep a lid on is the panic that will come with the disease. Just about the most unpredictable, and therefore frightening, thing is a scared, poorly informed person. Particularly one with a gun - sorry America!

Nah, unless we have a few dozen cases or so in a big city.  Americans are obsessed with all the sci-fi garbage we have been fed = Zombie apocalypse, raging epidemics etc.  

However, get a few active cases in some American cities with large migrant populations & we'll see interesting stuff happen, particularly since early Ebola has classic flu-like symptoms.  

With all the damn bush meat trade we are learning about, it is really amazing that we haven't had an outbreak in the USA, UK etc. before now.    
CRS, DrPH
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 2:09pm
Chuck, I think you are underestimating the power of the mob mentality. Do you remember a case in the UK years ago where a child sex offender had served their time in prison and was released into a small community. 

The people who lived there wanted to know who this person was and where he/she was living but the police wouldn't tell them so they took matters into their own hands and went looking for them. There were looking for a paedophile but they found a pediatrician.

So they attacked firebombed her home and they scrawled on nearby walls "No pedos wanted here" and "pedos get out" and things like that. 

The female doctor, whose house they attacked, was too frightened to return and moved. She said that what scared her the most was the ignorance of the mob, and had she not been working at the hospital at the time of the attack she could well have been killed. They were looking for a child sex offender but found a doctor and didn't know the difference. 

The community were really sorry once they realized their mistake - as people often are once they've calmed down - but it's a case of too little, too late. 

Now think ahead to a situation where there is Ebola in the country and someone's child comes home from school and says his friend had a nosebleed today. Under normal circumstances the parents would say, oh that happens all the time. So they phone up the principal who says she can't discuss other childrens health issues. And next thing you know, you have a parent who thinks the principal is covering up something important so she phones other parents and the whole thing gets out of hand.

You might think I'm scare mongering but I saw something similar happen here and a mother was hounded out of a local school and eventually her family upped and left and moved far away.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 2:41pm
I agree w/KiwiMum. The potential is there for a localized panic.. given a handful of cases in one confined area. That small local panic could set off a chain of events, creating a mass panic.

There is nothing to panic about; however, this is all definitely worth keeping an eye on. People are really downplaying this virus. This virus could very easily potentially spread to many many areas across the globe due to international travel and the sometimes prolonged incubation periods.

We should all be directing our energies toward our government(s) and pharmaceutical companies. They've been dragging their feet on this virus, knowing the potential, but ignoring it simply for the fact that it has been confined to Africa and in predominantly poor areas. Just because we have access to cleanliness, good reading/research skills and good hospitals doesn't mean we are immune. This virus is sneaky because of it's ability to lie inside the body for a prolonged period of time before making itself known.

This virus doesn't have to come to the US from Africa. It can come, very easily, from any other country. Someone who visited Africa goes to Europe, unknowingly infects someone in Europe, that person in Europe travels to the US and so on and so forth, etc etc.

A lot of things to think about and I wish the global powers would make health as much a priority as war. If governmental powers across the globe cared as much about mankind as they do war and material things, this world would be a much better place.

We all have the ability to change. It starts with us individually. I am the change I want to see. I therefore change others. The more effort I put into a positive change, the more I effect the world around me and so on and so forth... (lol.. yes, I sometimes ramble)
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:05pm
I do know hysteria.  I'm old enough to remember the Martin Luther King riots in Chicago, 1968....my father came home from working in downtown and breathlessly said that whites were being pulled out of cars on the highways and murdered, so (at age 12) I went with him to the local gun store.  Everything was selling out, even bows & arrows.  

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/chi-chicagodays-kingriots-story-story.html

Mind you, we lived in the middle-class suburbs, a good 20 miles from the actual rioting.  I can still remember the sky over Madison Street in the city's West Side glowing red at night.  The stories about whites being murdered like that?  Rumors.  

I work within public health at a high level & know how the system is working right now.  Every person coming into the USA from abroad is being quickly evaluated for risk, starting at foreign airports.  I cannot disclose details, but the level of surveillance on the international transport system is just amazing right now. 

The CDC Emergency Operation Center is at its highest level.  If one single case were to show up, all sorts of laws snap into effect = Presidential Directives, federal laws like the Stafford Act, NIMS etc.   We've rehearsed for this for years, primarily because of the threat of bioterrorist attack. 

I ain't worried, Ebola doesn't spread as easily as everyone thinks.  West Africa has particular cultural elements that facilitate its spread, including suspicion of authority, belief in witchcraft etc.   If it comes here, we'll deal with it.   Most folks (if they are smart) will stay indoors and wait it out.  If some go nuts, the authorities will deal with them rather harshly.   
CRS, DrPH
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:21pm
I work at a small rural hospital. We have just recently changed our intake nursing assessments to drill patients on foreign travel which is something we should have been doing, in my opinion, all along. Anytime anyone travels overseas and then comes back home, there's always some sort of potential risk of spreading something if patient comes into hospital with fever or other unusual symptoms... or even with no symptoms.. symptoms that could potentially pop up at a later time and one small anomaly may be showing up that hasn't fully come to realization yet.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

No. I'm sorry but no. No Hollywood in real life. Those who own the guns are for the most part the most responsible of the bunch. Now the rock throwers.... I don't see panic in this country even when there is a pandemic on -past that is. This one may show up and change things. But as long as its no more than various isolated infections I think most people won't even pay attention.
"And then there were none."
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:28pm
...and let's face it.. people in the US are just.. LAZY!!! lol The majority of people in this country are to lazy to riot or panic. There's been a lot of good reason to protest and no one seems to get off their lazy duffs and vote or protest.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of apocalyptic movies and pandemic movies on TV now though.

With that having been said, I still go back to my original post and feel that the potential is there for panic. People are unpredictable. You just never know what will set off a group of people and that can set off another group of people and so on and so forth.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 3:30pm
Seawolfe View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 8:43pm
KiwiMum said something that got my attention beyond any panic. ". . . I think most people won't even pay attention". People will go about as usual and not take precautions unless things become personal.- - like knowing someone with the disease. By then it's to late because the disease will have been incubating in them and they will have been spreading the disease.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:04am
"Panic" doesn't necessarily mean crashing your car through a mall or shooting up a neighborhood. To me it means becoming extraordinarily precautious of potential danger. I would call it constructive internal panic. It's a way to get the point across to your brain cells that it's time to pay attention.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 7:05pm

Just about the most unpredictable, and therefore frightening, thing is a scared, poorly informed person. Particularly one with a gun - sorry America!

Guns will work for you as well as against.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 7:29pm
Suzi, I couldn't agree more.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 8:10pm
I suppose you could refer to the Trayvon Martin case for example... But I bet almost half of all the gun owners in America are law enforcement or law enforcement related types. That doesn't speak for the other half but I still think the vast majority are responsible. But yes, that still leaves possibly many millions of broken character with guns and...
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 8:34pm
Chuck's got a point. We haven't seen anything yet with respect to the emergency public health legislation that could be enacted when (not if) it shows up in the US.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

But I bet almost half of all the gun owners in America are law enforcement or law enforcement related types.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in the south everybody has guns, plural.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Chuck's got a point. We haven't seen anything yet with respect to the emergency public health legislation that could be enacted when (not if) it shows up in the US.

Thanks, JD.  It's all in here:

Basically, the US Gov't is empowered to do whatever the hell it wants to in the case of an infectious disease emergency.  With a Category (A) Select Agent (Ebola, smallpox, anthrax etc.) the response will be swift and comprehensive.   

It is a coordinated response, including Dept. Homeland Security, US military, local & federal law enforcement, Dept. Health & Human Services etc. all the way down to hospitals and doctor offices.  We are all highly trained for just this type of event. 

I'll give a heads up if I hear of anything specific.  Be safe, Chuck
CRS, DrPH
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 9:54pm
Tonight Huckabee had on a man, a doctor I guess, to quell the panic. That was how he was introduced. He sounded like he got all his information out of the encyclopedia and then said don't worry.
Every night the local news does a story on Ebola. I'm thinking they want us informed (they know we will inform ourselves on the internet) but a nation of individuals getting ready all at the same time would be a problem.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

But I bet almost half of all the gun owners in America are law enforcement or law enforcement related types.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but in the south everybody has guns, plural.

You have all active Military, National Guard, Coast Guard, Homeland Sec, FBI, Police, Sheriff, prison, parole, probation, numerous other departments and all of the veterans and retirees of all these forces, and then all the people closely linked to them. They make up at least half the country. That doesn't mean some of them won't panic and shoot up the neighborhood but really, those at risk of going off in a fit of panic are in the extreme minority and overwhelmed by those who have spent their whole lives practicing restraint.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Suzi Suzi wrote:

Tonight Huckabee had on a man, a doctor I guess, to quell the panic. That was how he was introduced. He sounded like he got all his information out of the encyclopedia and then said don't worry.

Every night the local news does a story on Ebola. I'm thinking they want us informed (they know we will inform ourselves on the internet) but a nation of individuals getting ready all at the same time would be a problem.

I saw that piece on the Faux News

what a disgrace

that so called Dr did a disservice to everyone listening

his "don't worry,be happy" platitudes were very misleading I thought

Huckabee should get his butt whooped for allowing that tripe to go on the air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic