Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola suspect in Berlin, Germany

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola suspect in Berlin, Germany
    Posted: August 19 2014 at 6:47am
Ebola suspect in Berlin, Germany
Not much news yet, paramedics raised epidemic alarm after examining her.

[link to web.de]
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:08am
Good find Coyote, thanks.

Police Cordon Off Site in Berlin as Woman Shows Symptoms of Infectious Disease

By
http://online.wsj.com/articles/berlin-police-cordon-off-site-as-woman-shows-symptoms-of-infectious-disease-1408447997# - connect
Updated Aug. 19, 2014 9:53 a.m. ET

A police officer wearing a protective mask leaves the employment center in Berlin's Prenzlauer Berg district, where a woman received medical treatment after showing symptoms of an infectious disease. Agence France-Presse/Getty Images

BERLIN—A German woman recently returned from an African country affected by Ebola collapsed in a Berlin job center on Tuesday showing symptoms of an infectious disease, German police said, as emergency services cordoned off the center for several hours.

The woman, who is aged around 30, is being tested in Berlin's Charité hospital, fire department spokesman Rolf Erbe said, adding that emergency workers also took two people who were in contact with the patient to hospital.

A fire department doctor said testing would take several hours. A spokesman for the Charité said the hospital would issue a statement later Tuesday. If confirmed, the case would be the first Ebola infection in Germany.

The rapid security deployment around the job center and the decision to seal off the building underline the alertness of emergency services in Europe, as the weeks-old outbreak of Ebola in western Africa continues to elude confinement.

The emergency services in Berlin initially asked 600 people who were at the employment center when the emergency call was made to stay inside, police spokesman Thomas Neuendorf said. Police took the personal details of bystanders on the same floor as the patient.

Vivi Jost, a young woman leaving the job center, said she was held for three hours, and she described the atmosphere on the seventh floor of the building as relaxed. Another woman leaving the building with her child said people on the first floor were frightened. She said the patient had been on the second floor.

State and national health authorities had no immediate comment on the incident. A spokeswoman for Germany's health ministry said the country was "well prepared" should an Ebola infection be confirmed, with eight treatment centers for patients with highly infectious diseases across the country.

Tuesday's developments come less than a week after the foreign ministry advised Germans to leave several West African countries in the grip of the Ebola outbreak. More than 1,100 people have died from the Ebola outbreak across Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.

German media have reported on suspected cases of Ebola in Frankfurt and Hamburg among travelers from African countries in recent weeks, but the patients tested negative for the deadly virus at local hospitals, according to the reports.

According to the Robert Koch Institute, Germany's institution responsible for disease control and prevention, there are around 40 cases of malaria reported in Germany every month in the summer period in travelers returning from West Africa.

Write to Friedrich Geiger at mailto:friedrich.geiger@wsj.com - friedrich.geiger@wsj.com and Harriet Torry at mailto:harriet.torry@wsj.com - harriet.torry@wsj.com

mailto:harriet.torry@wsj.com - http://online.wsj.com/articles/berlin-police-cordon-off-site-as-woman-shows-symptoms-of-infectious-disease-1408447997

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Face Palmer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Face Palmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:13am
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE COYOTE!! ;)

Face Palmer - GLP
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:16am
Greetings Face Palmer!  You folks are on it at GLP with news.  Keep up the good work my friend.  I peak in over there on occasion.  Don't be too tough on Coyote as he's been here for several years assisting. 

Face Palmer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Face Palmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:18am
Its okay! No worries! Smile I was just like "wtf"?

Have a nice day guys and don't get infected, will ya.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:39am
http://www.rbb-online.de/panorama/beitrag/2014/08/ebola-verdacht-arbeitsamt-storkower-strasse.html (in German) the 30 year old woman was not in an area were Ebola was.

Die Mediziner gehen davon aus, dass es sich bei der Fieberinfektion der Patientin nicht um Ebola handelt. Die 30-Jährige habe sich in Afrika nicht in einem Gebiet aufgehalten, in dem Ebola aufgetreten sei, teilte die Senatsverwaltung für Gesundheit am Dienstagnachmittag mit
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 7:40am
You too FP, thanks for stopping by.   Not a chance of getting infected around here.  As soon as I stop this darn eye bleed we're good to go-  

Best to you and the GLP folks,

A
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 8:03am
Wow It's Face Palmer!! Hope no hard feelings..See your posts over there all the time!! Great Job on keeping up on things and glad to see you over here! Hope you will be back! Coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

As soon as I stop this darn eye bleed we're good to go...

Put some windex on it. You'll be fine.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:31am
Thanks JD.  May give it a try.  I took this pic of myself this morning.   I'm feeling better .... how's it looking?

newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:39am
Ohhh Albert... I thought from some of your postings you were a middle aged gentleman, all this time you've been hiding the fact that you're a handsum young devil who spends time in the company of vampires! Mmmm de-lish-ish looking you!
Cherish each moment
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:45am
Thanks Newbie - couldn't resist taking the selfie.  Other than my neck still being a little soar, feeling good. 
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 2:14pm
That looks like a hep V infection there.  I'd watch that vamp if I was you.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 2:26pm
thanks techno - my neck is a little itchy, but no prob and never better.  Cough.

folks - your admin probably has a sick sense of humor with all this lol, but just having a little fun. 

Best,
A

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:15pm
Better a sick sense of humour than a sick Albert!  If humour is catching, I've definately caught it.  Symptoms: belley laughs, wisecracks, AFT addiction, flipancy and a desperate desire to communicate the infection to others.  The first disease to be communicable by digital media. 

Do I get an ig-noble prize for this discovery?
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:43pm
I just want his mattress to add to my collection. Yep. You strip a man of all his fakes fronts and covers and you find yourself left with a little child who wants nothing more than a peanut butter and raspenberry jam sandwich. ...smeared all over his mattress.
"And then there were none."
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:45pm
http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten.de/2014/08/19/entwarnung-ebola-verdacht-in-berlin-nicht-bestaetigt/

these guys are good... it is malaria and not ebola.... it took them only several hours to do the tests...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:45pm
OK... Threadender.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:50pm
That was going to be my comment earlier was about the results in a few hours. Thinking those smart Germans are quick with the Ebola test! But now I see. Process of elimination.
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 3:59pm
the conclusion of the frankfurt newsletter:

Der Seuchenschutz ist in Deutschland mit Notfallplänen und Isolierstationen weit besser organisiert als in Westafrika.

the measures in germany for pandemics/ protection is far better organised than the one in westafrica...

well you can say that gain, dudes.... if only all would to their jobs that rigurously
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Thanks JD.  May give it a try.  I took this pic of myself this morning.   I'm feeling better .... how's it looking?

See - Hep V

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 6:36am
LOL
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 8:16am
Albert,you may need to see a witchdoctor for a lesion like that.Johnray1
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 10:08am
If I laugh much more I may stop breathing!  Howzat for graveyard humour?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic