Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Saudi Arabia:  Two Suspected Ebola Patients Flee
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Saudi Arabia: Two Suspected Ebola Patients Flee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saudi Arabia: Two Suspected Ebola Patients Flee
    Posted: August 19 2014 at 9:33am

Two Suspected Ebola Patients Flee Hospital in Saudi Arabia

By
Danial Naveed

Two men, displaying suspected symptoms of the Ebola virus, ran away from a rural health center located in the Madinah province of Saudi Arabia on Sunday, a Saudi daily reported.

“The two African nationals, who did not have residency permits or any other documentation, came to see the doctor at the health center, complaining of difficulty breathing and bleeding while passing urine,” an official who requested anonymity told Arab News.

Medical officials were unable to conduct a thorough examination and confirm that the patients were infected with the Ebola virus as they ran away after being asked to produce their residency permits.

The doctor present had instructed the center to take the patients to a hospital with better facilities before the duo took off.

The matter was reported to police instantly, the source said.

The police are still searching for the patients, the report added.

The Health Affairs Directorate in Madinah said the patients were from East Africa, a region not affected by Ebola, although their precise nationality had not been identified.

The deadly Ebola virus, declared a public health emergency by the World Health Organisation (WHO), has killed over 1,140 people in West Africa and is spreading rampantly.

Saudi Arabia has been taking several measures to prevent the entry of the virus into the country, and earlier this year declared that haj and umrah pilgrimage visas will not be granted to people from Ebola-hit countries.

Earlier this month, a Saudi businessman who returned from a business trip to Sierra Leone showed symptoms of the virus and later died in a hospital in Jeddah. However, test results later confirmed that he had not been infected with Ebola.

http://gulfbusiness.com/2014/08/two-suspected-ebola-patients-flee-hospital-saudi-arabia/#.U_N7wWNhfIU

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 9:59am
MERS causes respiratory distress and kidney failure too. I believe that bleeding is a late stage symptom with Ebola.
Maybe they ran because they were scared of catching something in a Saudi hospital. That seemed to be the most dangerous place to be during the height of the last MERS outbreak with HCWs passing it to patients. I wouldn't just run, I wouldn't go in the first place.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:21am
Things seem a little of in Saudi.  Of course the first suspected case that died a month ago was always a little, and this case of two people checking themselves into the hospital is also a little different.

I don't blame them for fleeing as they probably don't want to be sent back to Africa, and possibly W. Africa.   Sounds like we could see an exodus out of infected regions to places easiest to flee to.  The nationalists claim they were not from an infected region, but by virtue of them now on the run, sounds to me they were possibly from an infected region - and they don't plan on returning.    Just speculation here.... but this story is a little unique.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:23am
This is a little sooner than I expected, but is not exactly a surprise.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:31am
Saudi could definitely be a second epicenter for this given their appalling record on infection control in healthcare settings. Ebola patients could easily infect HCWs which would cause further infection. They never really needed the camels given the way they were infecting each other with MERS in hospitals.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 12:28pm
So they were unlawful aliens, which means they would be more inclined to lie about their country of origin, which means they were more likely to be from west than east. They had some symptoms of Ebola; bloody urine etc. My theory is that KSA would like us to think they snuck into KSA with Ebola seeking what they thought might be better treatment but failed to realize they'd be asked to prove identities. I theorize that these two guys do not exist. Ebola is in KSA already due to one of their own citezens self-importing it then promptly dying. KSA knows it will become public soon-as it has now begun to spread, and created this story to blame its country now being infected on these two mystery guys....? Sounds a little more romantical than the truth. But...that's just my biased theory.
"And then there were none."
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 12:51pm
Good post oneflu - very little doubt about an Africa exodus taking place,and it's probably beginning. KSA should find those two gents if they're interested in protecting their lifestyles and way of life in KSA. I agree with JD's possible assumption and epicenter for potential outbreak. I'll bet ebola has reached the Middle East.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic