Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Ok..who's first?? Any takers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok..who's first?? Any takers?
    Posted: August 29 2014 at 3:04am
Ebola vaccine to be tested on British volunteers next month
Volunteers in Oxford will be given an experimental vaccine against Ebola in fast-tracked emergency clinical trials to begin in September, it has been announced. At the same time that trials are beginning at Oxford University, up to 10,000 doses will be made to ensure that it can be more widely used quickly if the trials are successful.

Initially 60 volunteers will be injected with the vaccine at the Jenner Institute at the University of Oxford and if they show a good immune response with few side effects then a further 40 volunteers will be given the vaccine in Gambia.

[link to www.telegraph.co.uk]
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 3:10am
They need to test it on the folk in Africa.    Seems to me they don't have many other choices anyway.

Ebola is still mutating and I don't believe they can find a match on it yet.   The perfect little killing machine bug.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 6:49am
I will "second" that.
"And then there were none."
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 3:33pm
How exactly are they going to test it? Are they going to give it to someone and then give them Ebola and see what happens? I can't believe anyone would sign up to that program!
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 4:23pm
I want to know if this vaccine is full of live virus or not.
hazelpad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 3:23pm
They vaccinate with an essential Ebola protein not live or attenuated virus, and 3 weeks later check for protective antibody levels in the serum. They don't give people challenges with Ebola. They have already done animal studies using it.

They have to give it to healthy people first. If people who are Ill get it then symptoms can be confused with side effects.

Don't think they are testing its safety so much ( it is a basic vaccine recipe ). Think they are more concerned about its antigenicity and hence its effectiveness, seeing if it will generate a good enough response to offer protection.

Quote :

Results from studies in monkeys suggest a good safety profile from the single ebola virus protein, which produced high levels of antibodies and immune-boosting white blood cells.
As it does not contain infectious virus material, it cannot cause a person who is vaccinated to become infected with ebola.

The duration of response could only be discovered in ‘real-life’ situations but even if it only lasted a few months it would be enough to contain outbreaks, he said

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2736932/Ebola-vaccine-discovered-British-scientists-available-end-year.html#ixzz3BuszBleb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
anon54 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 4:20pm
I just read an article via Breitbart concerning the mutations in West AfricaThe article is by Awr Hawkins,and the link goes to NPR.It's frankly terrifying. I don't see how an effective vaccine can be made with these rapid mutations.Call me foolish ignorant or whatever, I just don't see and thing useful outcome.
anon54 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by anon54 anon54 wrote:

I just read an article via Breitbart concerning the mutations in West AfricaThe article is by Awr Hawkins,and the link goes to NPR.It's frankly terrifying. I don't see how an effective vaccine can be made with these rapid mutations.Call me foolish ignorant or whatever, I just don't see any useful outcome.

That should be any productive outcome from vaccine trials,sorry my bad
hazelpad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 6:16pm
Not all parts of the viral genome mutated at the same rate. RNA viruses like Ebola tend to be inherently less stable than say DNA viruses. So you expect changes,especially due to the number of hosts it has passed through, selective pressures etc.

However here is the good news, it is whether those changes actually count in the grand scheme. There are many regions depending on their sequences that will stay pretty conserved, stable sequences. The vaccine manufacturers know to look for these sequences and the proteins they relate to. These tend to be in dominant epitope, I.e. pretty stable protein, required for viral entry or replication, and globally immunogenic.

So vaccine wise there is some still hope.
anon54 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 7:23pm
Thank you for clarifying that Hazelpad.You are right about hope. Can't give that up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic