Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola - Survival Outside Host

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola - Survival Outside Host
    Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:26pm
Is the Alcohol you buy at Sams or Costco work? If not where do I get stronger Alcohol?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 8:33pm
Alcohol should work - Ebola has a lipid envelope that is disrupted by it as long as it strong enough. I'm reading that anything 60% and up should be sufficient, and everything I have in my preps is above that.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 7:02pm
If you went shopping during an ebola outbreak I would think that you'd want to wear goggles and a mask over your mouth and nose. Once you got home you would have to disinfect everything with a bleach solution out in your garage, strip naked, put your clothes in a washing machine with bleach, and take a shower with anti-bacterial soap.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to go grocery shopping during an epidemic? Hopefully, we'll have enough food to sit in place and not have to go out, but who knows how long this could circulate.

My concern relies on how long this virus can stay alive on surfaces.
debg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 6:50am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

I am flying home with my son Thanksgiving so what kills these Ebola germs? What do I need to wipe everything down!!! I am glad it is Thanksgiving not Christmas!
FluMom - I saw in another post that alcohol does nothing. It appears it would need to be chlorine to kill it.......
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 6:27am
Originally posted by LOPPER LOPPER wrote:

Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

If a case were to reach a place such as New York in the winter time, I believe it will be able to stick to surfaces for approximately a week.   With that in mind, despite what some experts say about what will happen in the U.S., it "could" possibly be worse than ever expected - including that of Africa.   The facts are what they are....  This virus was not meant for a cold climate and they need to make sure that never happens at all costs.  Unfortunately time is running out.

Well since early symptoms of ebola mimic those of the flu I wonder how long it would take to overwhelm the health care system during flu season if everyone with the flu went to the hospital or sought medical attention thinking they possibly had ebola. And then add in the fact that if there did happen to be a case of ebola here and there they would be mixed in with those with just the flu in the crowded hospitals which would further spread the virus.

Good post Lopper, and completely agree with that.  Either way you go on this, there is going to be panic and unease this winter and flu season.   People will have no clue in the beginning symptoms what they have, and Ebola can also enter the U.S. fully cloaked.    Interesting times ahead.

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 10:05pm
I am flying home with my son Thanksgiving so what kills these Ebola germs? What do I need to wipe everything down!!! I am glad it is Thanksgiving not Christmas!
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 8:29pm
Which is why the health agencies keep downplaying our fears.
"And then there were none."
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

If a case were to reach a place such as New York in the winter time, I believe it will be able to stick to surfaces for approximately a week.   With that in mind, despite what some experts say about what will happen in the U.S., it "could" possibly be worse than ever expected - including that of Africa.   The facts are what they are....  This virus was not meant for a cold climate and they need to make sure that never happens at all costs.  Unfortunately time is running out.

Well since early symptoms of ebola mimic those of the flu I wonder how long it would take to overwhelm the health care system during flu season if everyone with the flu went to the hospital or sought medical attention thinking they possibly had ebola. And then add in the fact that if there did happen to be a case of ebola here and there they would be mixed in with those with just the flu in the crowded hospitals which would further spread the virus.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 9:11am
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 8:34am
So many different sets of circumstances can exist for Ebolas survivability/viability outside a host. Some of these conditions are going to be repeatedly met in nature. Clearly, one is its increased survivability in colder temps. The one major ingredient it has lacked so far is it being delivered to such.
"And then there were none."
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 6:21am
If I'm understanding this correctly, Ebola, which is part of of the filovirus family, can survive outside the host for quite some time in cold temperatures.  This would also mean that in N. America or Europe during the winter months, Ebola would surge "almost" similar to influenza.   We're a little lucky at the moment that it's confined to Africa where it's hot -

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61.  In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

A study on transmission of ebolavirus from fomites in an isolation ward concludes that the risk of transmission is low when recommended infection control guidelines for viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed Footnote 64. Infection control protocols included decontamination of floors with 0.5% bleach daily and decontamination of visibly contaminated surfaces with 0.05% bleach as necessary.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic