Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

three things

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: three things
    Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:21pm
If you weren't prepared, a prepper, what would be the first three things would you buy, put in your cart, at the store if you heard that an ugly contagious desease was found in a neighboring community, state, or country. You know some Scarry thing like "zombies" live on the news channel... that would prompt you to go to the store.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:25pm
Rice

Olive Oil,

Salt
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 10:45pm
The last trip to the store was one of the best trips I have ever had. I had always looked at shopping as kind of a chore. You know busy rude people, long lines, etc. But something inside me changed this time I really thought about what a fond memory it would be if a calamity ever happened. Shopping was a blessing rather than a chore a real change in perspective.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2014 at 11:00pm
I think those three would be fine choices. At the sane time I think about woody harrelson and twinkies. Has nothing to do with actual survival but   I wonder what would be my Twinkie.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:01am
if you want a complete protein you need beans with that rice.   When TSHTF you have to make sure you eat protein to keep going. There are lists on this site that are helpful and that tell you how to store so mice don't eat your food.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:18am
I agree with FluMom - for new preppers, rice, beans and water would be my best guess.
For those who already have those, some things that don't store well over long periods - anything with oil or fat will tend to go rancid, so Crisco and/or vegetable oil would be on my list, as well as dried yeast (in case what I have has gone bad). Oh, and more water. You can never have enough.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:30am
Rice, beans, Top Ramen. If you think about it though, without many items, none are much use. Water is #1 item and goes from there. But if we're talking SIP for a long time... more than a few days or weeks, then the grocery store doesn't carry enough water for even one person, realistically, unless you're Cody Lundin. In other words, don't bother acquiring way more stuff than you are capable of getting the water to go with. If we all have to shelter in then that means an abstract collapse of societal function and that means the water goes off for most. So like JD, I'm focused on water.
"And then there were none."
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:43am
All the above are excellent choices, I would add peanut butter.

couple more items i would consider are....

(1) well point, with at least 25 feet of pipe, and hand pump ( i know it is not a last minuet item)

(2) deep cycle battery, inverter, and 50w solar panel (min).

The well point requires a non-apartment setting, but alleviates water storage issues.

Back years ago during the hurricanes here in Florida, I had let a friend borrow my generator for an out of state job...leaving me with no generator when i needed it the most (big mistake). we were out of power for 10 days were i lived and could not buy a generator without driving a couple hundred miles, so i bought 2 inverters, deep cycle batteries...was cheap...not powerful, but i did run my fridge long enough to keep stuff frozen and we could watch several hrs of movies, lights and fans.

This simple system is great in a power rationing scenario. and i did not have to run my propane lanterns inside.

The best thing is that it is silent, so the zombies can't hear it
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
mamabear4 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamabear4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:36am
Can you please tell me more about you solar panel and how you plan to use.Ty.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:54am
Honey, Yeast, more flour. I am currently decent in the beans and rice department lol. I also currently have some bartering items like hard candies, instant coffee, instant hot chocolate, sugar cubes, powdered creamer.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:17pm
I here what you are saying about mice. In the late 1990's I felt it would be a good idea to store water. My wife was big on store bought purified water for the baby. I decided it would be a good idea to use the empty gallon jugs to store a basic supply in the basement. Then I started noticing some of the juggs would start leaking. Finally under close inspection I found mice were nawing holes in them to get water or just to frustrate me. Lesson learned.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:50pm
Never heard of mice chewing their way through water containers before Shocked

Not sure how you fix that without putting the bottles inside another container which would take up more space. Not a problem unless you're in an apartment, I guess. For food, there are a few ways to deal with beasties and everyone has their favorite. Mine is mylar bags, O2 absorbers and 5 gallon plastic buckets. Stored that way, your food has a shelf life in excess of ten years and rodents can't smell it so they don't try to chew their way in.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 3:54pm
Imagine my surprise at the time with sound juggs getting random spontaneous leaks.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 4:54pm
I bet - that's got to be frustrating.

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 5:38pm
50 pounds of flour
canned goods
meat
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by pheasant pheasant wrote:

All the above are excellent choices, I would add peanut butter.

couple more items i would consider are....

(1) well point, with at least 25 feet of pipe, and hand pump ( i know it is not a last minuet item)

(2) deep cycle battery, inverter, and 50w solar panel (min).

The well point requires a non-apartment setting, but alleviates water storage issues.

Back years ago during the hurricanes here in Florida, I had let a friend borrow my generator for an out of state job...leaving me with no generator when i needed it the most (big mistake). we were out of power for 10 days were i lived and could not buy a generator without driving a couple hundred miles, so i bought 2 inverters, deep cycle batteries...was cheap...not powerful, but i did run my fridge long enough to keep stuff frozen and we could watch several hrs of movies, lights and fans.

This simple system is great in a power rationing scenario. and i did not have to run my propane lanterns inside.

The best thing is that it is silent, so the zombies can't hear it

My dad and I have been looking into a well point. 30 ft, hand pump. Point is that under 30 ft is non regulated, easier and cheaper to drill/set up and hand pump is failproof. If it takes you five minutes to pump a five gallon bucket, no one knows you have it and it was only a few grand to set up then you are golden in water. I'm sorry folks but if we're set to SIP for literally months with no services, a swimming pool of water may not even cut it with multiple family holed up. My dad keeps wanting to fill these 5 or 6 55 gal brown drums up in his finished walkout basement and I'm like that's not going to work dad. That's a few days of water conservatively. (We currently blow through 1500 a day!) and its a massive leak hazard! If you own your property, buying, whatever, find out if there is water at 30 ft. Beyond that in most areas you need acreage. I'm talking about a city lot. You can even rent the drill and do it yourself for under a grand. That's 1000 gallons of storebought water. And only days worth unless you're like Cody and drink what you just washed your undies out in.
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:21pm
Pancake mix,beans,and a lot of cans of meat.
WHAT TO DO????
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:32pm
I am afraid I will be a desert dried jerkey treat. City h2o only.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:35pm
Mice will literally gnaw through metal. I had a mouse pet that chewed a hole out the sprinkle hole of an AJax can home I made him. It was the same mouse that Manson wore on a leash tucked into his beard to the Geraldo interview. Needles to say they found it and took my pet.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by drumfish drumfish wrote:

I am afraid I will be a desert dried jerkey treat. City h2o only.

Then bottle away. And use extremely wisely. Don't laugh but yes, wash your dishes and clothes and bathe with the same one gallon then filter it and boil it and drink and cook with it. One gallon a day is possible. Gives a whole new meaning to Drum Fish.   
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:45pm
That's good
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 9:37pm
Snares, antibiotics, non gmo seeds.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 9:50pm
Cigarettes, books and I hate to say it but lots of cool aid. The cigs to keep fire starter going. Books to burn and the cool aid to make any kind of sense out of it? Ok. Good night everyone.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 2:12am
The well point can be bought at home depot, and many other improvement stores, generally a hand pump will work to a depth of 25-30 feet quite well. You can go a little deeper, but the efficiency dramatically decreases the lower you go.

It is very easy to install without drilling or heavy machinery, look on youtube for some very good videos on it.

As to a solar panel, you have to do the math, but a 50w solar kit will recharge a battery (slowly) and you draw your needed power off the battery, through an inverter converting 12 volt battery power to 110/120 for use with household items.
The trick is to figure out how much energy is stored (in the battery), the draw (what you use to power stuff), and what the recharge rate is (how much energy is being replenished by the solar panel).

A simple setup is one deep cycle battery, 400 watt (4 amp)inverter, or 700 watt (7 amp) inverter. which you can recharge off a cars alternator (but uses gas), or use a single solar panel or a solar array.

The point is, inverters will not power a whole house unless you get a really big, expensive system, but a small 1-2 battery, small inverter, modest solar panel rig, will run a fridge for a short while, or power lights, fans, tv, satellite for a couple of hours each day. no problem.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic