Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Anthony Fauci - U.S. can expect cases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Fauci - U.S. can expect cases
    Posted: September 14 2014 at 7:55am

Pretty good link and interview with Fauci.  He seems fairly certain that although it will be contained in the U.S., we can expect a case or two.  We've all known this for a couple months, but at least they're acknowledging it.  Of course if we get a couple cases here, that means the same for all countries, which will make it a lot larger problem.  We could have sporadic cases for quite awhile.   Each case will need to be contained and traced fairly aggressively.

http://www.msnbc.com/now/watch/almost-5-000-cases-of-ebola-reported-globaly-328665667645
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 8:12am
I'll add another comment here as this may warrant more speculation.  "When" a case arrives here, if the infected person walks around for a day or two while being symptomatic, or if the hospital doesn't follow proper protocols and is caught off guard at all, I'm guessing that we will see a sizable outbreak here in the U.S., with probably multiple sporadic cases also still coming in.   If they don't contain it soon in Africa, this will be everyone's problem very soon - and it would go on for quite awhile, perhaps 12 - 24 months.   The odds are swinging the other direction with regard to larger U.S. outbreaks down the road, then just a couple cases, in my own opinion of course.
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 9:37am
HOPEFULLY they will come up with a vaccine and will be able to mass produce it and inoculate people in Africa. There have been quite a few breakthroughs with serums and blood transfusions, etc also if the governments, pharmaceutical companies and the medical communities would stop dragging this out. In such an emergency, everything should be on the table and streamlined to stop this thing.
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 10:24am
The average price CDC pays for one dose of vaccine (which is little more than at-cost) is about $50.00 US. Private sector is about 35% higher. The population of Africa is estimated at 1.1 billion but I'm certain it is much higher as we all know the Ebola cases are much higher than official estimates. But lets just say it is 1.1billion. That's roughly 50 to 100 billion dollars to inoculate most of Africa against a virus that we now know is changing. That also does not include other costs to deliver and administer it. Will this money come from Africa or Venezuela or Bonaroo Tattoo? Of course these are the big questions only after a feasible vaccine is pioneered. And then there is the other question of does the country(s) who developed said vaccine save the first batches for insurance for their own people?

Houston?

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/awardees/vaccine-management/price-list/
"And then there were none."
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 10:31am
I say we save what we can of the population there, at all costs to us, even if it costs several trillion dollars. But we get 50% of the continent as a US State in return that we can modernize and control for the regions own good. Sounds fair enough to me.

This could lead to the biggest economic boom in history as well as saving the folks over there.
"And then there were none."
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

And then there is the other question of does the country(s) who developed said vaccine save the first batches for insurance for their own people?

Remember when Indonesia was supplying pretty much all of the samples of H5N1 for vaccine research a few years ago? They asked that they be included in the list of countries that would receive doses of any vaccine developed using their samples, and when they didn't get the assurance they wanted (surprise, surprise), they stopped sending them.
There's a grouping system for who gets vaccines and meds in an emergency like a pandemic - if I find it, I'll post a link. It's based on your profession or position in society, and it starts with developed nations first. My job put me a good way down the list...

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 11:32am
I agree the U.S needs to prepare. And probably now. Our lives are about to be severely disrupted soon either which way this goes. I would prefer for officials to be prepared here. I'm not as confident as they are about the old easy containment theory.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 12:32pm
I worry about the cases in big cities. Poor cities. Then you have the schools. Children can't keep their hands off each other. Parents will go crazy when a child gets Ebola at school.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic