Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola will NOT go airborne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:37am
Re:

I also like the saying "if you hear hoofprints don't think zebras think horses"

Unless you're in Africa.....

Now that was a good one....but let me tweek that last statement just a wee bit for you...
"if you hear hoofprints don't think zebras think horses"

.....Unless you are roaming about the grassy plains of sub-Saharan Africa. In Liberia and Sierra Leone I am afraid its likely still to be plain old horses.

guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:44am
You're trying too hard.
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:46am
The forested area runs from cental Africa, west to the coast... W. Africa.
guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 11:12am
..will give you time to research and counter :)
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 11:12am
I am getting bored ....google your zebra range, or why not do some research into pseudo-science.

Xxx

Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 11:26am
Let me know if you need the definition of pseudo-science.

I leave the floor to you .....I have to go out, but it has been fun, thanks for the banter, a nice bit of light relief.... I did like your Africa comment though...give you that one...it was good.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 12:03pm
I promised to stop argueing Airborne.  But I will defend Hazelpad.  SHE IS A SCIENTIST WORKING WITH VIRUSES.  If she relied on an encyclopedia from the 70s she would not be here to argue.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 1:07pm
Blind faith is a frightening thing regardless of the religion ( god, science, government). I see both sides of this argument.   I for my self believe Ebola is Scarry. I can make the argument that a housefly can carry Ebola therefore it is airborne. Would that help the discussion? Probably not. But a discussion of what the definition of airborne is, or how we define airborne under a specific set of parameters might help. Words like in vivo/in vitro, Effectively airborne, aerosolized airborne particles, yes some would say semantics others might say better communication. Apples to apples oranges to oranges
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 1:35pm
If I was on the ground in west Africa knowing what I know I would consider it airborne. From an ocean away I would not consider it as airborne as a cold or the flu. I believe if it was as airborne as the cold or flu it would have been here months ago and I would already be dead.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

lets go to Africa

You first!  Dead

I wouldn't go to Africa for love nor money!  

Last time I was there (Egypt, 1979) I had myself vaccinated for smallpox first, even though it was theoretically eradicated.  

This is looking worse every time I read the news updates....all we can do is watch.

Be safe, Chuck

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 6:51am
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 9:06am

Local hospitals bracing for the appearance, however unlikely, of Ebola

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/25/4181942/local-hospitals-bracing-for-the.html

I draw your attention to the picture accompanying the story

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 1:39pm
CRS,DrPH,I agree completely with staying out of Africa.Johnray1
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 2:40pm
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by guest guest wrote:

Let's End It

I will remain unknown in the best interests of finally ending this debate.

Droplet: confirmed
Fomite: confirmed
Cell infection: confirmed
Wash a chicken and infect your kitchen: confirmed
Catch Ebola from someone coughing or sneezing on you: confirmed

Dog hair is small enough to float on air currents? : confirmed
Ebola is smaller than dog hair?: confirmed.

Case closed.

Spread by respiratory route: unconfirmed
Adapted to infection in respiratory tissue: confirmed 
EFFICIENT transmission via airborne route: doubtful 
EFFICIENT transmission via contact, bloodborne routes: confirmed 

There may be one-off, rare cases where someone who is crashing & bleeding sneezes a load of EVD snot into the face of a nurse/doc without PPE, causing a secondary case. 

Is this the primary mode of transmission of Ebola or any other VHF?  No. 
Is this a possible mode of transmission of EVD?  Yes
Do we have anything to worry about regarding airborne transmission?  No.  Emphatically, no.  

Contact transmission is all EVD needs to propagate, and it does it well.  In some sci-fi scenario, where the thing turns into some kind of Andromeda Strain and kills everyone by respiratory route, well, we are cooked.  However, viruses just don't work that way.  

I have nearly forty years of medical and university research training in virology, immunology, infectious disease epidemiology, microbial genetics and hospital infection control.  And bioterrorism response through work with federal law enforcement.  EVD will be a big enough threat through its established routes of transmission, everything else is a fairy tale.
CRS, DrPH
drumfish View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

Aerosolizing ONE DROP of Ebola Infected Blood Can Kill 500,000 People

http://pissinontheroses.blogspot.com/2014/09/aerosolizing-one-drop-of-ebola-infected.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PissinOnTheRoses+%28Pissin%27+On+The+Roses%29

Wow how scary is that in a world with islamic suicide bombers.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 4:07pm
is this thread I started going to 10,000 posts?

Forget Ebola

The flu is the real plague.

The flu is going to smite the globe - ebola is just a warm up for the main game.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 4:07pm
Droplet is NOT airborne
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Kilt2 Kilt2 wrote:

is this thread I started going to 10,000 posts?

Forget Ebola

The flu is the real plague.

The flu is going to smite the globe - ebola is just a warm up for the main game.

Interested....
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 7:27pm
Too funny!!! No Kilt. This is not 'your' thread and this is not your forum no matter how many posts you make. Can you spell 'narcissist'?
Interested....
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 7:58pm

Droplet is NOT airborne

You are absolutely correct. 

Flu season is winding up, I could see multiple infections going on at the same time.  D68 enterovirus is pickup up steam and causing paralysis (it is related to polio in a viral morphology sense), so we are seeing a ton of panicking parents. 

A new flu could break out at any time and probably will, considering the Chinese Death Star agricultural machine's practices such as feeding unrendered poultry mortalities and manure directly to swine!  Ugh!

And, MERS is still around, sitting there quietly.....

What's the old curse?  May we live in interesting times?
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 8:03pm
I don't take Chucks word for it when it comes to this stuff because he has such a vast enough background that he could easily land any of the top-boss jobs in this country. I take his word for it because he just makes that much sense.
"And then there were none."
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 4:05am
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

I don't take Chucks word for it when it comes to this stuff because he has such a vast enough background that he could easily land any of the top-boss jobs in this country. I take his word for it because he just makes that much sense.
D*MN STRAIGHT!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 5:35pm

Thanks for your vote of confidence!  I presently lead a low-stress life since I had brain surgery for epilepsy 15 years ago & avoid stressful workplace situations, since stress could re-ignite seizures. 

I avoid the public health sector for employment like Dracula runs from a cross!  They are always running around like chickens with their heads cut off, I would not be able to tolerate one of the top jobs.  It is probably the most frustrating line of work there is....look at the nonsense with lost smallpox vials, contaminated flu samples, etc. 

Instead, I consult to the feds on this stuff and also teach at the med school level.  I helped write the draft national standards for the protection of water & wastewater systems after 9/11, and this document included specifics on terrorist attacks against drinking water plants.  I play my part on the national stage, believe me! 

Back to the subject line - Ebola won't go airborne, it doesn't have to.  It evolved very nicely over many thousands of years to efficiently transmit from bat secretions into apes & humans just the way it is.   Fomite transmission would be just as bad in a modern city. 
CRS, DrPH
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 9:16pm
I should have added: if he wanted. Sorry to hear about your seizures but glad to know you're back in control of them.
"And then there were none."
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:16pm

I should have added: if he wanted. Sorry to hear about your seizures but glad to know you're back in control of them.

I really appreciate your confidence in me!  Thanks, I really mix it up at high levels, but keep my distance from the workaholics.  Ebola requires more thought & less jibber-jabber IMHO.

Regarding airborne transmission of Ebola, I just found this research today:

The results support the concept that Ebola virus infection is self-contained in NHPs infected intramuscularly, at least in the present experimental conditions, and is not transmitted to naïve NHPs via an airborne route.

(NHP = non-human primate)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25059478

CRS, DrPH
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Prairie One Prairie One wrote:

Too funny!!! No Kilt. This is not 'your' thread and this is not your forum no matter how many posts you make. Can you spell 'narcissist'?

get stuffed
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 1:11am

Originally posted by Prairie One Prairie One wrote:

get stuffed

Teehee!,
Interested....
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 8:03pm

Contagion Blast Radius: How Far Can Ebola Droplets Travel?

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/contagion-blast-radius-how-far-can-ebola-droplets-travel_102014http://www.thedailysheeple.com/contagion-blast-radius-how-far-can-ebola-droplets-travel_102014

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 8:19pm

Canadian Health Agency Deletes Info on “Airborne Spread” of Ebola

http://www.infowars.com/canadian-health-agency-deletes-info-on-airborne-spread-of-ebola/

http://www.infowars.com/canadian-health-agency-deletes-info-on-airborne-spread-of-ebola/

Germ Nerd View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 1:05am
Canadian Health also has emergency response links inactive, and health alert is down too.
Oh, and our scientists are routinely muzzled as well.

Good luck trying to follow any info from China.. err I mean... Canada.
countess View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 11:48am
YOU SHOULD not BE SPREADING INFORMATION you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!!

THEY KNEW BACK IN 2012 THAT IT COULD AND WOULD GO AIRBORNE! check out these articles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amuWS2Hslvs
countess View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 11:49am
here is another article PROVING THEY KNEW BACK IN 2012 THAT EBOLA CAN GO AIRBORNE- THE IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE IS STAGGERING - THE US GOV AND MEDIA LIE THROUGH THEIR TEETH, AS DOES CANADA!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h0YCmh1njo
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 3:30pm
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140725/srep05824/full/srep05824.html
http://www.popsci.com/blog-network/under-microscope/pigs-and-primates-addressing-airborne-ebola-allegation?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=6&con=of-pigs-and-primates-addressing-the-airborne-ebola-allegation

No transmission of virus to neighbouring NHPs was observed suggesting limited containment protocols are sufficient for multi-viral CL4 experiments within one room. 

The results support the concept that Ebola virus infection is self-contained in NHPs infected intramuscularly, at least in the present experimental conditions, and is not transmitted to naïve NHPs via an airborne route.

CRS, DrPH
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 4:39am
droplet is not airborne
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 8:04am

Virus researchers say Ebola could spread through air - and even spread without symptoms

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/201...hout-symptoms/

"The chorus of U.S. health officials constantly reassuring the public that Ebola can't transmit through the air is quickly tailing off, as virologists and other disease experts say "not so fast." Health experts know very little about the nature of the Ebola strain now in circulation, they say, and it appears as though the current iteration of the disease is much more virulent than previously believed."

Even if Ebola can't truly go airborne, transmission is still possible through the air via aerosols. According to Brosseau, the way infectious disease experts look at the aerosol potential for disease spread today is based on outmoded scientific theories that fail to recognize the variances in small- and large-particle transfer.

"Modern research, using more sensitive instruments and analytic methods, has shown that aerosols emitted from the respiratory tract contain a wide distribution of particle sizes--including many that are small enough to be inhaled," she explained. "Thus, both small and large particles will be present near an infectious person."

"The CDC is sticking with the official narrative..."

"official narrative"

oh boy

we are screwedBig smile

no proof positive that ebola is air borne

however there is growing # of experts who are challenging established beliefs

"CDC admits to relying on antiquated 1970s science in assessment of Ebola outbreak

Responding to this, CDC spokesman Tom Skinner told the media that his agency is merely following what was discovered about the virus back in 1976, as well as any new developments in the interim. But these developments, as explained by University of Minnesota Professor Lisa M. Brosseau, Sc.D., in a recent editorial, are still based on flawed theories about infectious disease transmission."

CDC recommendations are gonna get you dead

that is one thing that has been proven

"

ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 11:42am
Very sorry to state this, however..NEVER SAY NEVER...that might be an oxymoron? The number and types of genetic changes is incompletely known. I was lucky enough to know and learn from Dr. Barbara McClintock (Nobel Laureate 1982) Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Dr.Eccles (SUNYBuffalo), Dr. Schlecter, genetics(BU). I was a very lucky person. Look up Dr. McClintock to see how shabby she was treated, because she was a woman (until later when her genetics were proven correct.)...JJD...Again, no malice meant...
EYE in the SKY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic