Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Nurse in Madrid tests positive for Ebola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 11:56am
End of Times headlines on FB reporting a second case in Madrid.  No way to confirm at this point but health officials supposedly reported it to a local newspaper.
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

More cases of Ebola will almost inevitably spread in Europe, but the continent is well prepared to control the disease, World Health Organization's regional director says - @Reuters

Waterboy what makes you think that? Have you been to Europe? Europe is overpopulated and most countries have very well organised public transport systems. Ebola would be an absolute nightmare in Europe. 

In Spain, the people live like sardines. Many live in tiny apartments jammed together in the cities and rely on the public transport system. I stayed with a family once who lived in a shoebox sized apartment, all 3 generations of them. I'd have thought Ebola would spread like mad there. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

More cases of Ebola will almost inevitably spread in Europe, but the continent is well prepared to control the disease, World Health Organization's regional director says - @Reuters

Waterboy what makes you think that? Have you been to Europe? Europe is overpopulated and most countries have very well organised public transport systems. Ebola would be an absolute nightmare in Europe. 

In Spain, the people live like sardines. Many live in tiny apartments jammed together in the cities and rely on the public transport system. I stayed with a family once who lived in a shoebox sized apartment, all 3 generations of them. I'd have thought Ebola would spread like mad there. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ebola-outbreak-husband-of-spanish-nurse-placed-in-quarantine-as-22-contacts-identified-9779682.html
Ebola outbreak: Spread of deadly disease across Europe is 'unavoidable', warns WHO chief

The spread of Ebola across Europe is "quite unavoidable", a health chief has warned as four people were in hospital after a Spanish nurse became the first person known to have contracted the virus outside Africa.

The World Health Organisation's European director Zsuzsanna Jakab has said while more cases will spread in Europe, the continent should be well prepared to control the disease.

Health officials in Spain today said four people - the nurse, her husband and two others - were being monitored in hospital in a bid to stem the spread of the virus.

"Such imported cases and similar events as have happened in Spain will happen also in the future, most likely," Ms Jakab told Reuters.

"It is quite unavoidable ... that such incidents will happen in the future because of the extensive travel both from Europe to the affected countries and the other way around," she said. Ms Jakab said European health workers were most at risk of becoming infected, but added that "the most important thing in our view is that Europe is still at low risk and that the western part of the European region particularly is the best prepared in the world to respond to viral haemorrhagic fevers including Ebola.”

It has emerged that the nurse, who had helped treat two Spanish missionaries who died after returning from West Africa with the disease, first complained of feeling ill a week before she was diagnosed with Ebola on Monday.

The 40-year-old is understood to have contacted health workers after complaining of a low fever on September 30. She was only given tests for Ebola however when she turned up at hospital with a high fever on Monday, The Telegraph has reported.

Spanish Ebola patient, Catholic priest Manuel Garcia Viejo, died after being repatriated from Sierra Leone on 22 September 2014 Spanish Ebola patient, Catholic priest Manuel Garcia Viejo, died after being repatriated from Sierra Leone on 22 September 2014

Meanwhile, 22 people who came into contact with the nurse are also being monitored, health officials have said. They have not been isolated but they are having their temperature taken twice a day to check for signs of infection.

The EU has now asked Spain to explain how the nurse contracted the deadly disease, according to an AFP report.

Public health director Mercedes Vinuesa told a parliamentary committee: “The husband is already in hospital and is being monitored so that he can have a quarantine situation with better monitoring.”

The 40-year-old nurse, who has not been identified but is said to be in a stable condition, had up to 30 colleagues who also treated the missionaries who died of Ebola at the Carlos III Hospital in Madrid.

A spokesman for the European Commission said the case, the first known case of Ebola spreading within a European country, would be discussed at a Health Security Committee meeting on Wednesday.

“The priority remains to find out what actually happened,” he said.

Officials said they were still investigating how the nurse was infected.

She went on holiday after the second of the missionaries she had been caring for died on September 25, although, they stressed, she had not left Madrid.

Jonathan Ball, a professor of molecular virology at the University of Nottingham, said the Spanish nurse should not have contracted the deadly disease if appropriate containment and control measures had been taken.

“It will be crucial to find out what went wrong in this case so necessary measures can be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again,” he told Reuters.

Local media in Spain yesterday reported that staff at the Madrid hospital where the nurse became infected had claimed their protective suits did not meet health and safety requirements – though this has yet to be substantiated.

Additional reporting by Reuters

debg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Jen147 Jen147 wrote:

Ok thanks deb.  Maybe I'm just a hypochondriac.. but if I were a nurse caring for an ebola patient.  I would have isolated myself for 21 days after he died no matter what... but if I came down with a fever I would immediately suspect ebola.  I would suspect ebola even if I were a nurse on the other side of the hospital & had never seen the guy.  but that's just me.

I know - that's how everyone should be thinking and it is sad to see that other people don't give that a second thought. I would have been so paranoid after being around that priest that I don't think I would have left my house for 21 days, but unfortunately she didn't have that sense....
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 4:05pm

Reports claim Spain may have a second case of Ebola

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/reports-claim-spain-may-have-a-second-case-of-ebola/

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 4:26pm
debg and Jen - I agree. I think I'd have to self quarantine if I thought there was a chance I was infected.
I remember reading of a nurse in London that did that after looking after Spanish Flu patients. She was about to get on a train home when she realized that she didn't feel well and seemed to be running a fever. Instead of getting on the train, she went to a bed and breakfast, and that's where they found her body a few days later. She probably saved the lives of her family members with that one selfless act.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 5:32pm
Wow, powerful story JD.  Wasn't there a Dr. that came back to the States & self quarantined without even showing any symptoms just as a precaution?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic