Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do we really get Ebola? Next few days critical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

How do we really get Ebola? Next few days critical

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do we really get Ebola? Next few days critical
    Posted: October 06 2014 at 9:31pm
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/so-really-how-do-you-get-ebola-coming-days-are-n219666

So Really, How Do You Get Ebola? Coming Days Are Critical

By Maggie Fox

None of the 10 people who were in close contact with Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan has shown any sign of being infected with Ebola, health officials said Monday. The next few days will be the most important — Ebola’s usual incubation period is eight to 10 days and Duncan was isolated Sept. 28.

Many Americans are worried that the virus could spread because Duncan was sick and had gone back home for two days when the hospital mistakenly failed to recognize the risk of Ebola. In fact, a Pew poll out Monday found 11 percent of Americans were "very worried" that they themselves or a family member will be exposed to Ebola, while 21 percent are somewhat worried.

How could the infection spread?

How likely is it that you will catch Ebola?
30 Seconds to Know

Think close contact, think wet and think warm.

The virus doesn’t live for long outside the body. Ultraviolet rays from sunlight destroy it, as does heat. Bleach kills it and plain soap and water can wash it away. Warm body fluids such as blood, vomit and feces carry the virus. And it has to get into the body to infect you — it doesn’t soak in through the skin, for instance. It must get in through the nose, mouth, eyes, through a cut or by a needle stick.

Delivering medical care.

Doctors say close contact is the usual way for people to become infected with Ebola virus. That includes caring for patients — health care workers are among those most likely to become infected as they examine patients, draw blood, clean them and clean up bodily fluids such as vomit. That’s why seven of the 10 people on the state of Texas and CDC’s close contact list for Duncan are health professionals.

Are U.S. Hospitals Prepared for Ebola?
Nightly News

Home care.

Experts say one reason Ebola is spreading so badly in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia is that patients have nowhere to run. They’re being treated at home, or left to die in the streets. A single sick patient can infect his or her whole family. Anyone who's treated a loved one with a stomach virus knows how messy, and infectious, it can be.

Cleaning up a mess.

The virus lives in vomit, diarrhea, blood and sweat. The sicker a patient is, the more virus there is in the bodily fluids. Thomas Geisbert, who tests Ebola drugs and vaccines at the University of Texas Medical Branch, says using high-pressure sprays to clean animal cages can splash the virus into the air. “If you blast it, you can create a manmade aerosol,” Geisbert said. But that is not the same as the virus being airborne. It’s not. And the mess, in general, should be fresh. “I don’t think there’s a whole lot of evidence that there is going to be virus on door handles,” says Geisbert. Ashoka Mukpo, the freelance NBC camera operator who’s infected, said he believes he got infected while helping to disinfect a car used to transport a sick Ebola patient in Liberia.

Burying a body.

People who have just died of Ebola are the most infectious. One healer who died in Sierra Leone infected 14 other people who prepared her body. CDC says people who have just died of Ebola should be placed in not one, but two sealed plastic bags and then a hermetically sealed casket.

Family of NBC News Freelancer Diagnosed With Ebola Speaks Out
Nightly News

You won’t get it from casual contact.

Some people have expressed worry that Texas state officials walked unprotected into an apartment where Duncan stayed when he was sick. But there is no evidence at all the virus could be suspended in the air somehow, or even on the walls or floors. It’s important to clean an area where someone’s been sick with Ebola but that’s just to make sure no fluids that could contains the virus could remain. Forty years of studying Ebola outbreaks show the danger comes from being close to sick people. “Most times, when people get it, there’s some kind of defining moment when they have been in close contact with the body fluids of somebody who had it,” Geisbert said.

So why do crews cleaning the apartment wear hazmat suits? Because they may be handling wet or damp soiled sheets or towels, and because cleaning may cause splashes that could carry virus-laden fluids into the eyes, nose or mouth, or if the virus splashed onto someone's skin and they later touched it, they could carry it into their own eyes, nose or mouth.

First published October 6th 2014, 2:02 pm

Edited: compaction by oneflu

trr View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 10:32pm
this is NOT Ebola, at this time. that will be released later. this is a beta test using some controllable simulation.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 3:42am

I'm beginning to notice that the MSM is putting out more and more articles

on how very hard it is to contract ebola

to listen to them you stand a better chance of winning the lottery

and the only way you can get it is to jump into a swimming pool full of infected blood !

one thing I have NEVER heard addressed by anyone is

if this is such a benign organism

why in the hell is it confined to bio level 4 labs ??????????

to listen to the MSM and government officials ebola isn't any worse than the flu

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 5:31am
Wonder how the healthcare workers are feeling in Dallas this morn. Probably likely someone will have a scratchy throat with a sneeze or two.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:27am
This should always be remembered..."THERE ARE KNOWN KNOWNS. THESE ARE THINGS THAT WE KNOW. THERE ARE KNOWN UNKNOWNS. THAT IS TO SAY, THERE ARE THINGS THAT WE KNOW WE DON'T KNOW. BUT THERE ARE ALSO UNKNOWN UNKNOWNS. THERE ARE THINGS WE DON'T KNOW WE DON'T KNOW."   DONALD RUMSFELD (An old philosophical statement that he acknowledged)  This is a very important algorithm  . EBV is just such a thing...MORE TO FOLLOW...JJD...
EYE in the SKY
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:29am
Also called..EVD as well as EBV...JJD...
EYE in the SKY
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:37am
BL4 labs are reserved for pathogens that have a number of traits, principally ones for which there is no cure or vaccine.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:45am
By the way, I like jacksdad line "BUY IT CHEAP. STACK IT DEEP." Mike Leavitt was a great guy and very intelligent.
EYE in the SKY
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:53am

Questions and Answers on Ebola

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/qa.html

oh I just love this part

"Avoid hospitals where Ebola patients are being treated. "

waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 4:01pm
By friday we will knnow.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 4:28pm
Thanks ENTROPY  Thumbs Up
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
ep123 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ep123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 5:13pm
if ebola is only contagious while one is symptomatic then why are these people quarantined for 21 days while they're healthy/!!!
EP123 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EP123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 5:15pm
think about it, they're not telling us everything!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 5:21pm

and I wish someone would definitively define what "symptomatic " is

for example

at noon I don't have a fever and am not contagious,according to the CDC now

but at 1pm I spike a fever so now I am contagious

and I wasn't contagious just an hour earlier ?

really?

REALLY ???

kinda hard to believe

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 4:50am
You are absolutely right, Satori. 

Latency period and incubation period are NOT THE SAME.  That is basic epidemiology.

This virus only takes one viral particle (viron) to infect the next host if it gets lucky, 10 virons and it is a certanty.  By the time a person is symptomatic they are awash with trillions of the horrors.  It is a stealth virus for God's sake.  The main reason it is so deadly is that the host's immune system does not see it (and so the body does not show signs of disease) until the body is overrun.  I do not know at what point the person becomes infectious, but it is definitely before the symptoms show.  TPTB must think us all mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed on BS.

IMHO this is the reason for all the talk about it not being airborne.  It isn't, but every time they debate this, they draw attention away from the fact that THEY DO NOT KNOW AT WHAT POINT IT BECOMES INFECTIOUS.  They are just guessing, educated guesses, but guesses none the less.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 5:32am
Technophobe wrote: "IMHO this is the reason for all the talk about it not being airborne.  It isn't, but every time they debate this, they draw attention away from the fact that THEY DO NOT KNOW AT WHAT POINT IT BECOMES INFECTIOUS.  They are just guessing, educated guesses, but guesses none the less."

I was wondering why so much airtime was given to mutation doom scenarios. It seems so foolish to debate "what if?" when they don't even know 'what now'.

Recently Tom Frieden (Freiden?) has been quoted saying you CAN get it from a sneeze. Like some have been saying, no need to mutate into a future horror. What we have now is horrific enough. Pretty much any fluid can mechanically manipulated into an aerosol. IE sneeze.

So why the hullabaloo? I think you nailed it, Techno... the subclinical infection question no one wants to asnwer.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 6:00am
Wouldn't a fever reducer mask the fever...so you can be contagious and pass a screening?

A second thought: didn't we have discussions about when a person develops a fever...specifically what can affect the threshold of when our body spikes a fever?

Seems some one mentioned a compromised immune system, or some such scenario where a person has been compromised in some way that leads to a delayed immune response...thus a late fever.

Anyone remember?
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

Questions and Answers on Ebola

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/qa.html

oh I just love this part

"Avoid hospitals where Ebola patients are being treated. "

LOL  Thanks, that is a gem! 

This is my favorite: 

Do not touch bats and nonhuman primates or their blood and fluids and do not touch or eat raw meat prepared from these animals.

I'm glad I gave all of that up for Lent! 

CRS, DrPH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic