Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

RUN! OR BARRICADE OURSELVES IN OUR HOMES!? - Event Date: October 07 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalila black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RUN! OR BARRICADE OURSELVES IN OUR HOMES!?
    Posted: October 07 2014 at 6:02pm
Most of us are in a panic, with good reason. Stocking up on canned goods.bottled water, gasoline ext... I'mready to even take my grandkids out of school. I would liketo know if there are are others are as myself . perhaps over reacting, or maybe not. I'm scared for my loved ones.
~ BLESSED BE ~
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 6:06pm
It's okay.. no need to barricade yourself in just yet.. :D
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 6:07pm
I don't know that anyone is in a panic. It's time to watch closely at this point.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 6:37pm
Welcome to the forum Dalila.  You're fine and no reason to panic. Way too early, as of today.   Early symptoms of Ebola are identical to the flu, but it will be highly unlikely to ever be Ebola.   

Also just stay tuned here on the forum as often as possible, and if there does come a time of extra heightened concern, you will see it here first and know what to do. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 8:39pm
Welcome dalila.  If it helps you any I don't plan on taking my kids out of school unless ebola reaches my county or my region depending on what else is going on in the country at that point.  If they announced tomorrow that a case was in my county & that person was out & about before being quarantined you bet my kids are home for a count of no less than 21 days from the time the patient was isolated.  And if another case related to that person pops up then it would extend beyond 21 days.

As the others have said there's no reason to panic.  Arm yourself with knowledge & prep to the best of your abilities.  In my opinion ebola would be an easier threat to SIP as it will eventually burn itself out, that's barring anything "unusual" happening with it.  So it is very reasonable to be able to SIP till the threat is over.

News is posted very fast here so it is a very reliable place to keep up to date.  Please don't let yourself get so worked up, empower yourself & then you will be able to make smart decision should the time ever come.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:13pm
Things to be doing now vs things to be doing later.

Firstly... don't panic. There are signs that the WHO are starting to make an impact. We will know by November. Secondly.. Africa isn't like the west. They have virtually no education system, minimal communications and next to no government. Ebola is taking a toll mainly because of these reasons.

Things to be done now in an orderly manner is to make sure finances are cleaned up. Sell any crap you don't want in general. Get a basic SHTF pack together, main focus on water storage and collection systems. Have a plan if things get a bit ugly. Other than that. Chill out and watch what is going on. 

You should always have a basic SHTF pack and system for any disaster preparation anyway. Its good practice. (not doomsday bs) In your pack have face masks, gloves, goggles, and a basic coveralls. 

There is a bit of scare mongering going on. There is a bit here and even the main stream media is having a dig. The truth is its early days.

If the warning here goes to 5 . IE later... Start to get into storage mode. Buy stuff you will use in the next 12 months. Think fuel, food, More water, medications. etc... Still no panic.

When the warning goes to 6 Panic like hell...

ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 4:10am
Welcome Dalilia!

I think everyone had the knee-jerk reaction of varying degrees when the news broke about ebola in Dallas. Just take a deep breath and try to relax. This is the best site, along with the sister-site ebolainfo.org to keep up to date on the latest news.

There is plenty of info here on how to plan for a pandemic, as well as just about any other kind of emergency. Knowledge is the first step in planning. Do what you can as you can. Ask any questions you have. There is always someone who can answer you.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 5:59am
Welcome Dalilia.

Albert (our bossman) is very on the ball.  He posts a defcon status at the top right of the forum home page.

At Defcon 5 it will be time to get set and at 6 then SIP (shelter in place).

For the meantime here are a few ideas:

Keep a record of everything you use in the home
Food
Petfood
Toiletries
Medicines

Add a few candles per day
Add extra rubber/latex gloves
N95 masks and goggles
Bleach
Disposable aprons/washable overalls/disposable plastic overalls or rain ponchos
Lots of binliners!
And a method of cookingif the power goes out

This is a fantastically short video of protective items  http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/u-s-hospitals-alert-ebola-threat-cdc-says-n220381

Now, if you collect what you need from this list for 1 month, you have sufficient, if you are quarantined.  Extra will not hurt and would possibly cover you for a longer self-imposed quarrantine.

An easy way to get most of it is to buy double what you use for the month and store the other 1/2.

If that seems too expensive, buy the cheapest brands and (oil/beans/rice/dried milk the preppers staples).

Simply put, rather than panic, use the adrenaline to fuel your preps.  Don't sit arround worrying, spend the time reviewing your stores and educating yourself on the virus/preppers tips.  This site is full of good info and most of our members are full of help and helpful advice.  Sleepless nights of worrying are replaced by a warm-fuzzy feeling of security when you see the loft/basement/shed/garage lined with tins, bottles and sacks.

If you can educate family and friends, so much the better.  Be prepared for blank looks and sniggers though.  A good plan, hygene lessons and a pre-arranged meeting point are usefull as is a bug-out-bag, though bugging out is NOT the best option in a viral outbreak.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 6:49am

Welcome aboard Dalila!!!

Cobber said- "When the warning goes to 6 Panic like hell..."
Buy more ammo!
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 7:01am
I have been known to panic from time to time.....like the last time i went to sams club, i bought two big jiggers of peanut butter instead of one.

Or like last night, i panicked after i realized i had not set the timer on my pork chops in the oven and after an hour of reading posts on AFT, they were crispy.
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 7:02am
Lol
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 7:22am
Albert is da boss! He knows his stuff. Defcon 5 is basically the virus spreading in early stages in the western world. We measure it by witnessing clusters of three or four people and solid evidence of transmission. There is some interpretation which sits over the top of this too. 

I too have been panicked over other viruses myself. Its not an unusual reaction. I thought MERS was going to kick off, but the virus didn't have the Reproduction strength outside of the mid east. This will most likely be the case with Ebola too.  

To give yall and insight into the uneducated ways of the Africans. Yesterday on the news, five people drove their friend, who had Ebola, 30 miles to the hospital. He was obviously very sick and had badly bloodshot eyes. The people traveled without PPE. This is obviously  a really stupid thing to do. They are probably all infected.

Next question. why did all five go?? Again uneducated on Ebola

The last is a clanger the hospital was full..

This is why Ebola is spreading in Africa. This wouldn't happen in the West as most people would call ahead.

This area of Africa they don't have TV's, phones, education, government, running water, hospitals, doctors, electricity. They don't know about washing hands for hygiene etc etc. These are all things we take for granted and help us avoid Ebola.

Don't get too concerned about the numbers coming out of Africa. The reproduction numbers are around R1.8, which is high, but when the virus hits educated society the reproduction number fall dramatically. Therefore the virus dies out..

Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 7:43am

"educated society " ?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

we're in DEEP troubleBig smile

GUEST View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 9:48am
"educated society " ?

I asked a high school math teacher yesterday if he was concerned about the Ebola Epidemic.
He said: "No. I'm not planning to go to Africa."

And the cashier at the local supermarket said:
"I heard about Ebola...but I don't know where it is."
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 10:20am

UK NHS Ebola Catastrophe, Out of Control Outbreak Within Weeks

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article47650.html#comment213874

"The case of the Spanish nurse contracting Ebola from a Spanish patient flown into Spain from West Africa and going onto infect others as patient zero for the outbreak with more than 50 being monitored, illustrates the myth of competency that surrounds the western public sector health services"

not to mention the fiasco that is the Texas case

I love that phrase "the myth of competency"

Phylica1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phylica1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 10:31am
Okay, I am now ready to start stocking water and more can goods. I would like to order gloves and a suit to cover . However, in regards to mask I am not sure which to order. It appears that the basic mask 95-100 may not protect and I need full face mask ? Does anyone have a suggestion on which one would be good to purchase.i am new to the forum. Thanks in advance.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 10:57am
Welcome Phylica!!  We had a discussion somewhere that talked about face shields which is also what I'm looking into.  For me I want the best safety but for the cheapest price.  After you buy N95s & goggles the cost is about the same I've found maybe a little more for the face shield.  As to which one specifically I've not seen anyone say... I'd like to know as well.
newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 11:52am
[QUOTE=GUEST]"educated society "
I asked a high school math teacher yesterday if he was concerned about the Ebola Epidemic
He said: "No. I'm not planning to go to Africa

And the cashier at the local supermarket said"I heard about Ebola...but I don't know where it is." [QUOTE]

BWAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAAA - Oh THANK YOU, I so needed a good laff!!!
Cherish each moment
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic