Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Off Topic Discussion > Talk about anything
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Get a Grip everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 5:27pm
God instructed me to start from my place of work. Afterwards, I can launch the foundation in other institutions so that they can replicate this idea too. We want to go beyond this confine; therefore, we are trying to implore the government to come to the aid of widows. The plight of widows is dreadful; the way widows are treated in our communities is really bad. In some ethnic groups, when the husband dies, the widow would be made to drink the water used in washing the corpse. The reason for doing this is that she can confess if she killed her husband. Also in some ethnic group, they would cut the hair of the widow and make her sleep on the bare floor for forty days and she would be served unpalatable meals, all their belongings would be carted away by the family members of the husband. Therefore, I’m pleading to the government to come to the aid of the widows by offering scholarships to the children of widows and by providing a low housing scheme for widows to alleviate their sufferings and what they go through in the hands of their landlords. They should also be given tax relief in their place of work by giving them some waiver so that they are not taxed heavily. More so, there should be job opportunity  for the children of the widows because many widows struggled to send their children to school.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 5:28pm
(a) To permit the hairs on the head or any other part of the body to be shaved;

(b) To sleep either alone or on the some bed or be locked in a room with corpse of the husband

(c) Not to receive condolence visits from sympathisers during the period of mourning

(d) To be re-married by a relative of the late husband

(e) To sit on the floor or be unclad during any period of the husband’s burial rite

(f) To drink the water used in washing the corpse of the husband

(g) To weep and wail loudly at intervals at any time after the death of the husband, except at one’s own volition or involuntary action;

(h) To remain in confinement after the death of the husband for any given period;

(i) To vacate the matrimonial home;

(j) To do any other thing which contravenes the fundamental rights entrenched in the Constitution or is degrading the person.

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 5:30pm
Indeed, in some areas in the South East, the mourning rites imposed on widows are brutal. The wife is presumed in some way guilty of her husband’s death. Some are forced to drink the water used to bathe the corpse. The husband’s relatives judge their cries of grief, finding fault. The humiliations are petty, painful, and very often the inheritance that ought to be a widow’s right is taken.

“Apart from the fact that the discriminatory practice violates the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), the traditional practices are a taboo in the civilised world and should not find a place in any decent society. It is difficult for a human being in this day and age to believe that a wife is forced to drink the water used in bathing the corpse of her husband, all in the name of custom, as told by Mrs. Agnes lloegbunam. This and other widowhood practices are repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience and should be thrown out from society as they do much harm to womanhood..’’

Also as part of the funeral rites, she is compelled to drink of the water used in washing the corpse, thereby swearing that she had in no way contributed to her husband’s death. Men are never subjected to such indignities when their wives die.

In Rivers, Cross River and some parts of the South East, where harmful widowhood practices are rife, acts such as the scraping of widows’ hairs, locking up widows in rooms with their husbands’ corpses, and compelling widows to drink water used in washing the deceased bodies are common.

Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 5:49pm
Oh dear!

Please Kilt can we now drop the subject?  You have not been deleted.  The last three posts are still here for all to see. 

Albert asked you nicely. 

So do I.

Please call it quits and shake hands.Handshake
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 6:03pm
I will not stand for being called a LIAR and a RACIST when all I do is speak the truth.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Technophobe Technophobe wrote:

Oh dear!

Please Kilt can we now drop the subject?  You have not been deleted.  The last three posts are still here for all to see. 

Albert asked you nicely. 

So do I.

Please call it quits and shake hands.Handshake

Why should Kilt have to drop this subject? He was challenged and then proved himself. Why does this forum consistently tell people to drop subjects which they aren't in agreement with? Is it because Kilt was right in this instance and someone was embarrassed?

I was fascinated to learn this stuff. I knew that women were treated like crap around the world, but this is horrific.

*** Thank you Kilt for your post, which I found very enlightening.
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:51pm
I asked for the source back on Oct 9th and he didn't provide it. It could have been settled then. He has since reported the same comments again and again.
They do sound offensive. I said the comment sounded racist. NOT that Kilt was. I also said that if just one source was provided, his comment would be left alone. And it was. Then he spammed the thread.
It's not that the subject needs to be dropped, but that the most recent posting behavior was excessive.

I'm a nice person, and I like to think I'm fair. It wasn't for my own sensibilities that I took issue with the way funeral rites were presented, but that it's a negative reflection on us all to present information in this way.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:54pm
Kilt:

The virus is being propagated for a number of reasons, and funeral & burial practices are only one, and probably not the most significant. 

These countries have essentially no modern health care infrastructure, so the sick are tended to by family members for the most part.  Living Ebola patients are far more infectious than dead corpses are, since the maximum virus load is being shed by a patient in the most advanced stage of the disease. 

It may be true that the widows are forced to drink the bathing water from their husband's corpse.  The world is cruel, there are still places in India where wives are burnt on their late husband's funeral pyre.  

However, if the widow was caring for her husband, she probably already has the disease from exposure to his bodily secretions.  

Judge not lest ye be judged.  This outbreak has nothing to do with skin color, but with geography and local environmental factors.  If the idiots at the NIH had broken the vial of smallpox culture they found in the freezer, they might have unleashed that upon a largely susceptible/unvaccinated planet.  
CRS, DrPH
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Germ Nerdier Germ Nerdier wrote:

I asked for the source back on Oct 9th and he didn't provide it. It could have been settled then.

Lots of people don't provide sources. So, if the mods don't believe something to be true they demand sources now?

On Muslim body washing. (No wonder Ebola is spreading.)
"While someone lifts the upper body, one woman presses down on the abdomen to excrete fluids still in the body."

This body washing article is fascinating.
http://wfae.org/post/how-muslims-wash-bury-their-dead

Here's a new one! How about the benefits of drinking camel urine!!!
"Camel’s urine, especially the urine of a young she-camel – is used as a cleansing substance to wash wounds and sores, to make the hair grow, to strengthen and thicken it and to prevent it falling out, and it is used to treat diseases of the scalp and dandruff."
http://islamqa.info/en/83423
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Germ Nerdier Germ Nerdier wrote:

I asked for the source back on Oct 9th and he didn't provide it. It could have been settled then. He has since reported the same comments again and again.
They do sound offensive. I said the comment sounded racist. NOT that Kilt was. I also said that if just one source was provided, his comment would be left alone. And it was. Then he spammed the thread.
It's not that the subject needs to be dropped, but that the most recent posting behavior was excessive.

I'm a nice person, and I like to think I'm fair. It wasn't for my own sensibilities that I took issue with the way funeral rites were presented, but that it's a negative reflection on us all to present information in this way.

All I do is tell the truth.

I have been to Africa. If you like i will tell you why diseases like AIDS spreads there the way it does.

You wont like it and think it lies and racist but it will be the truth.

Like I said you have never been to Africa and I have - you know only your comfortable home and nothing of this dark world.

Do not ever call me a liar.
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:29pm
No elver. That wasn't the point.

But if I were to repeatedly post an inflammatory comment and present it as fact, I would be expected to provide my source.
It wasn't about nitpicking sources anyway. It was about posting what I thought was offensive content.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Kilt2 Kilt2 wrote:

All I do is tell the truth.

I have been to Africa. If you like i will tell you why diseases like AIDS spreads there the way it does.

You wont like it and think it lies and racist but it will be the truth.

Like I said you have never been to Africa and I have - you know only your comfortable home and nothing of this dark world.

Do not ever call me a liar.

This is what we mean by knock it off!  You are not the authority on all things Africa.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:49pm
The only thing that I saw as remotely "inflammatory" was that one link went to a blog where the N word was used as someone's logon name. The content of the post wasn't inflammatory.

What has been inflammatory to me over the years is how some mods treat people on this forum, especially when they disagree over something.

And telling someone that they "are not the authority of all things Africa" is nothing more than a put down.

Lighten up!

onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:51pm
Because the concept of it, the description of it, the discussion of it in this setting is too vile to feel one is forced into digesting without having to resign attendance to the forum in protest or disgust. Whether the statement is factual or not is not really the issue. There is obviously much in sources of blog sports about it. None of those count as fact. There also appears to be witnessed testimony to it and other believable sources at the surface. But if this were a jury then any jurror would have the perogative to reject it as factual. My point is you stated your case Kiltz. You provided enough material to satisfy to me that your statement was not created by yourself, that the statement exists in many writings. Germ Nerds point is that she has the right to reject that as acceptable subject for disscussion here regardless of whether others believe it is true or not. She has a good point. There are many members and guests here that dont care whether it is true or not or whether it can be proven or not. It is not a subject that some want plagueing their dreams with at night. I think it was Albert who said we have Family Hour here. This forum already engages in rated R discussions here nonstop. We should at least try to avoid rated X discussions. True or not. As for Germ Nerd, the editing of or deleting or censoring your freedom of speech rights, she's Canadian and I'm not sure where you're from but freedom of speech issues and censorship issues on AFT have already been visited and Albert has made it clear and reinterates it that those rights will stand so long as they do not involve curse words or threats or harassment and such. Or are not a spammer. But offensive content is generally protected as what is offensive to one person may not be offensive to another and is up for interpretation. My point is... just lighten up. Both of you. If we can't all for the most part be flexible with eachothers opposing views, opinions, choice of words and subjects of discussion then we really don't have much to talk about except that the sky IS falling.
"And then there were none."
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 9:12pm
What I find totally offensive here is that we have Ebola and up to 90% of people are dying from it. I'm offended that nobody in the international health arena cares about shutting down the borders with these nations.

I'm not offended by reading that some women are made to drink the water used in washing a corpse. Since this obviously happens in some places it is fascinating to read that this goes on in our world. Perhaps the right person will come along and be on a personal crusade to get this barbaric practice stopped. It is just as barbaric as clitoral mutilation, but perhaps we shouldn't talk about that either. If no one had learned of it, nobody would be trying to put a stop to that either.

How come the moderators didn't complain when someone posted about dogs eating the infected corpses left on the side of the road?

None of this will ever be as offensive as the sheer number of people who have died or will continue to die of Ebola. That is offensive!
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 9:17pm
There is such a thing as reality.

The reality is the Africans do things the rest of us shake our head about.

On a News programme here in Australia there was a segment about Ebola, and a senior politician discussed the fact that a corpse is washed and the water is drunk by his family.

Those practices are common place in Africa.

Now here we discuss death and disease. I see no problem discussing the reality of Ebola transmission.

I refuse to be called a LIAR and a RACIST when I speak the TRUTH.

If the children are upset by the African death rituals then they have no place reading about Ebola.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 9:24pm
That is why the posts remain. Why many of your own posts remain, Elver and for that matter why some of mine remain. That is not to say though that others may wish them gone. And that's OK. It's all in what we're here to discuss along the way to the bigger enlightenment. With some degree of class is a common preference is all.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 9:38pm
Family hour includes the parent as well. Especially after the child has fallen asleep out of boredom. I can go into the details of my life in the Preston Castle hole, Soledad, Tracy, the hole of San Quentin and Folsom, Charles Manson et al but I try to refrain from the discussion of that in respect of the creep/cringe factor -true as it is. Your point is that the water revelations relate to Ebola. This I agree and can't argue. It is rather unpleasant the thought though.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:00pm
I'm not throwing Germ Nerd under the bus. I support her stance against wanting to repeatedly read of the statement of water rituals whether she believes them true or not but keep in mind she is new to this forum and cannot be expected to go back and read from the begining the entire ~58 million words of discussion recorded here in comments and pasted articles as I have done over ten years. She therefore probebly has missed that this subject of editing and or deleting of comments/posts by moderators has been well visited and documented before. It's a touchy subject fraught with pitfalls that one nowadays would be wise to stand back from. But she is an outstanding person and contributor and only meant to "moderate" what she felt many on here wanted to say but may feel lacking in moderator status to step up with it. She may also have her own personal reasons why true or not the water comments are especially unnerving to her.
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:31pm
Nope. I don't have a personal stake.
I took the position of general human decency because I genuinely believed it to be offensive, inflammatory and untrue.
Since he was asked for a source on the 9th and didn't give one, I assumed it was because he didn't have one. Funny he didn't have any trouble posting them tonight.
He can complain all he wants and play the martyr. At no point did I call him a name, censor him or insult him, even though he sees nothing wrong with treating people that way.

I didn't do anything wrong.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:59pm
You called me a liar - I do not have to prove myself to you - who do you think you are?

You don't know the truth when you see it

You can't handle the truth.

The truth is offensive - but it is still the truth.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 11:51pm
Does anyone find the following statement offensive? I certainly do!

"At least 500 Christian women were reportedly abducted from Mosul and marked to be sold as sex slaves by ISIS militants.." (for $10.00)

http://www.christianpost.com/news/isis-selling-christian-women-as-sex-slaves-as-militants-overrun-qaraqosh-iraqi-pm-blamed-for-crisis-refuses-to-resign-124653/

!! How is it a stretch for anyone to believe what Kilt2 has written about?

"In the last several weeks, ISIS has sold about 300 Yazidi women and underage girls it abducted in Iraq, according to the group. Assyrian Christian women have also been sold to ISIS fighters."

"These young women are considered “slaves of the spoils of war with the infidels,” the monitoring group reported."

http://blog.godreports.com/2014/09/isis-selling-yazidi-and-assyrian-christian-women-as-spoils-of-war/

KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 1:47am
Why don't you lot all agree to disagree and leave it at that. 

I feel like I'm watching a group of kids in a playground. This is about as dull as a post can get. Since no one is going to give an inch, why not just move on? 

There are bigger things to worry about than who called who what, or is this post going to run on and on and on and on and on....................................sorry, did I just drop off there for a moment? 

Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:37am
We're probably going to have to move this thread to Off Topic here in a few and call a timeout.  
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 7:47am
KiwiMum-
Buy more ammo!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:07pm
Kilt, dont ever use the N word again.  I'm serious about this one.   You know better and those posts will be deleted.   Since I don't like deleting posts, you need to control that crap.  This is no joke dude.
Im serious here.  You're lucky i didn't see it. 

Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:17pm
I didn't write the N word Albert - I wouldn't do that - it was the link

I put up the link and someone expressing an opinion on that site used the word - not me.

Nowhere on any of my posts have I ever used that word.

inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:22pm

I didn't write the N word Albert - I wouldn't do that - it was the link

I put up the link and someone expressing an opinion on that site used the word - not me.

Nowhere on any of my posts have I ever used that word.

Semantics. Kilt2.    
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:26pm
Don't do those links or use the word - ever.   I heard you wrote it out?   We all make mistakes, but that one is extreme and over the top.  Way over.    Can't believe you actually did that kilt.  You've been here since the beginning.  Knock that crap off. 

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:36pm
Kilt - you have to be suspended for the next 48 hrs my friend.   Not my fault buddy.   Don't get upset about it.  Anytime people mess up, well, it happens and we have to do something about it.   It happens to old Albert often with his bad behavior as well, lol.   The wife told me that yesterday.  Come back though after that.  Thank God I never had kids.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:39pm
I never one used that word - someone in the link did.

The point is that when someone dies of Ebola, their body is washed and the water drunk.

That is the truth. Like it or not that is the reality.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:40pm
Unless if something got deleted that I didn't see, kilt did not use that word. From what I gather he rapidly posted links where water was discussed and one of those links happened to be a blog containing the water washing thing by someone with the screen name of that word. I surmise that in his rush to provide some links he missed that screen name which I can see how that happened as he probebly didn't actually read the entire blog or comments posted. Still not cool but in his defense I watched the arguement develope and he did not use that word. What happened was the screen named person or commenters name was spelled out with asterick by another AFT member calling him on it and I can see how that caught him off guard and the whole race thing brought up. It should all be up still.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Don't do those links or use the word - ever.   I heard you wrote it out?   We all make mistakes, but that one is extreme and over the top.  Way over.    Can't believe you actually did that kilt.  You've been here since the beginning.  Knock that crap off. 

I posted a link - I never wrote the word out
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

you heard wrong.

Show me where I wrote that word.

What I did was use a link where someone had that word as their Nick.

Despite that he told the truth - the water used for washing the body is drunk.

What happened to freedom of speech?

I DID NOT USE THAT WORD - I SPOKE THE TRUTH.
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:49pm
I have been to Africa and I speak some Zulu and am familiar with the practices of the people there.

This is the fact.

(a) To permit the hairs on the head or any other part of the body to be shaved;

(b) To sleep either alone or on the some bed or be locked in a room with corpse of the husband

(c) Not to receive condolence visits from sympathisers during the period of mourning

(d) To be re-married by a relative of the late husband

(e) To sit on the floor or be unclad during any period of the husband’s burial rite

(f) To drink the water used in washing the corpse of the husband

(g) To weep and wail loudly at intervals at any time after the death of the husband, except at one’s own volition or involuntary action;

(h) To remain in confinement after the death of the husband for any given period;

(i) To vacate the matrimonial home;

(j) To do any other thing which contravenes the fundamental rights entrenched in the Constitution or is degrading the person.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 3:57pm
Well, I heard a little otherwise, but we all mess up.  Kilt,  if we allow that in any way then we're going to have a bunch of extremist groups on here out of nowhere, and we dealt with that a decade ago.  We have more important things to deal with and i tend to get the brunt out of those groups attempts.  We can hunt them down and we can have forum wars with them, but keep the door closed on that.  Plus they wouldn't stand a chance.  With things that were said (however anyone defines it) we're crossing lines on what we're all about, including you.  This forum only attracts the best of everybody,  but nothing I can do about this one.

The suspension starts on the hour in 2 min and is only for 48 hrs.  
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:24pm

I have been to Africa and I speak some Zulu and am familiar with the practices of the people there.

This is the fact.

<span style="font-family: Signika; font-size: 13px; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(a) To permit the hairs on the head or any other part of the body to be shaved;</span><p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(b) To sleep either alone or on the some bed or be locked in a room with corpse of the husband

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(c) Not to receive condolence visits from sympathisers during the period of mourning

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(d) To be re-married by a relative of the late husband

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(e) To sit on the floor or be unclad during any period of the husband’s burial rite

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(f) To drink the water used in washing the corpse of the husband

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(g) To weep and wail loudly at intervals at any time after the death of the husband, except at one’s own volition or involuntary action;

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(h) To remain in confinement after the death of the husband for any given period;

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(i) To vacate the matrimonial home;

<p style="font-size: 13px; outline: none; font-family: Signika; line-height: 21.0340023040772px; : rgb43, 43, 43;">(j) To do any other thing which contravenes the fundamental rights entrenched in the Constitution or is degrading the person.

Kilt the list you keep quoting is actually A LAW TO MAKE IT UNLAWFUL TO INFRINGE THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF WIDOWS AND WIDOWERS, AND FOR OTHER RELATED MATTERS
ENACTED BY THE ENUGU STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, THIS 8TH MARCH, 2001

The practices you describe in your post are NOT things that happen every day in Nigeria .... this law has been in effect for 13 years.

You mis-quoted this list as things that happen - when in fact the list is things that CANNOT happen.

I'm sure you copied and pasted it from here:-

http://www.nairaland.com/187909/wicked-widowhood-practices-must-abolished
spam hunter extraordinaire
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:40pm

I think Kilt has a point

just because something has been outlawed doesn't mean it still doesn't happen

and on  a widespread basis

oh

I don't know

for example

murder maybe 

or how about prostitution

or gambling 

or moonshine

that's been illegal for as long as I can remember

yet if ya want some shine

it ain't gonna take you long to find it

AND

your talking about what is still a VERY primitive country

with a weak central government

corruption etc

they can make all the laws they want

it's illegal to set women on fire in Pakistan and India

but it still happens plenty in the rural areas

I've got to side with Kilt on this one

inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:48pm
As Germ_Nerdier posted earlier, Kilt2 did post an article with the "N" word. Why it isn't there now, is because it has been edited/out or deleted from the original post.
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:52pm

I would have to see the original post 

and the context in which the word was used

Huckleberry Finn

one of the greatest American classics

contains the N word if I remember correctly

it all depends on context

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:54pm
I know what you are saying Satori...
however there is NO PROOF that these practices happen regularly today.

All the hearsay in the world does not amount to a single shred of proof.

Kilt misquoted the list of practices as ones that occur, when in fact it's a list of prohibited practices. To then use that as evidence to build your case to say 'widows drink the water used to wash the husbands corpse' has no basis of truth or fact.

When writing posts related to a highly emotionally charged topic, we all need to be very careful with the choice of words we use and the insinuations that we make.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:58pm
OK Sticks. I just clicked on the correct link. It is still there. It doesn't cantain the word in the heading of the link but once you open it up the word is everywhere and I realize now could not have been missed. Like impossibe. My bad.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by inthesticks inthesticks wrote:

As Germ_Nerdier posted earlier, Kilt2 did post an article with the "N" word. Why it isn't there now, is because it has been edited/out or deleted from the original post.

I read this entire blog last night and he never used that word. He posted a link to a conversation where somebody had that as his logon name. That was it. Some people wouldn't even notice it.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 5:20pm

"I know what you are saying Satori...
however there is NO PROOF that these practices happen regularly today."

and the proof that these practices magically stopped just because the government said so 

would be what???

primitive cultures don't operate that way

they are incredibly resistant to change

an example ???

we've known for decades that washing the bodies of ebola victims was a very dangerous thing to do

yet DECADES later it still is quite widespread isn't it ???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

"I know what you are saying Satori...
however there is NO PROOF that these practices happen regularly today."

and the proof that these practices magically stopped just because the government said so 

would be what???

primitive cultures don't operate that way

they are incredibly resistant to change

an example ???

we've known for decades that washing the bodies of ebola victims was a very dangerous thing to do

yet DECADES later it still is quite widespread isn't it ???

Truth is Satori, I don't know, you don't know, and quite frankly, nobody knows... all we have to go on is speculation and blog entries.

This is how urban legends come into being. Before too long the innuendo and repeated gossip get twisted into 'internet fact' and used to prop up peoples arguments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic