Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

2nd person in U.S. tests positive for Ebola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:44am
The only time in my life I wrecked a motorcycle was the only time in my life I wore a helmet. (Just outside the I 5 tunnel at sharp curve near China Town going towards Burbank for those of you who know the curve. 50 mph right into the cement dividing wall/fence. Took out 20 feet of the fence with my chest and throat but miraculously without a drop of blood or broken bone.) The helmet protected my head but caused me to crash. It is possible the PPE suits are giving a false sence of protection and or are causing exposure at the disrobe point. That or this virus is being aerosolized during decontam and a few particles are making it past the filters.
"And then there were none."
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:56am
"In Spain, a nursing assistant diagnosed with the virus after caring for an Ebola patient recalled touching her gloved hand to her face while removing equipment and health authorities there are looking at that as a possible cause of infection."

I don't believe that. Inadvertent my patooty! If she remembered the contact to her face enough to later report it she one, would of remembered to NEVER do such a thing and two, if it did happen she would of remembered to immediately wash her face with a medical grade virucidal. Whether the report is true or not we've got problems Houston.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:01am
Jesse the Rev Jackson and that Judge should be arrested and jailed for gross reckless endangerment. Whether they get Ebola or not. Exposing themselves to make a point risks exposing others. These type people are my biggest fear of it getting loose here and elsewhere.
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:04am
In a modern hospital, how is the surface of PPE disinfected before removal?
We see bleach sprayed in MSF video footage from W Africa, but how do they do it in North America? Spain?

If HCWs can get infected removing the PPE, does that mean the current decontamination method is ineffective?
What would ramifications be for ERs? Public spaces?

At some point we have to stop blaming the heroic HCWs, and look at how we've set them up to fail.

And EXCELLENT point brought up by (Hazelpad?)..... Where are the PPEs made, and what are the quality controls?
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:07am
Oneflu..

Right! If she can remember touching her face, then it was a conscious act... otherwise it would be impossible to remember. No one would consciously touch an Ebola laden glove to their face.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:15am
I think they don't know how the HCW's exposures are taking place and they're throwing out assumptions rather than just telling the truth that they just don't know. But they cant tell the truth or it will appear many are just not up to the task. I agree though. The HCWs are being let down by some kind of false sence of security that is not necessarily their fault.
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:20am
I wonder at the way Frieden talked about the dialysis and intubation.  I personally think that's where the breakdown happened along with using a face shield and not a fully contained air supply.  I'm thinking that the hookup/disconnection process for the two procedures allows for the virus or some of it anyway to become airborne enough to be breathed in by those only with the face shields.

BTW, now they are saying this hospital is ill prepared and needs training but when they first got Duncan they had bragged about just having finished ebola training and being ebola certified.  Wonder what that training was and what it means to be 'ebola certified' considering all the blunders?

Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:45am
nc_girl,

You posted a comment earlier about a brief touch on PPE and resulting infection from something so 'difficult to catch'.
I think that says it all.

Dialysis and intubation looks like a free ticket for Ebola.
I wonder how many of the other HCW cases involved those procedures. (likely few, given conditions)... But would be interesting to know.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:02am
Sorry GN I put the link to the edited version which I was using to demonstrate point I was making at the time. Whole Press Conference on youtube. Watched it on live TV today in UK, kids were like " oh mum not something about emolia....as they call it...they are young.

Pestilence : Press Conference of Second Confirmed…: http://youtu.be/hpZEhUMHO2AhpZEhUMHO2A

Still not convinced about chlorine spray, you need to let the stuff have time to work before it inactivates the virus. Different bacteria and virus need different exposure times to the sterilisating agent ( see CDC guidelines below).   Importantly the process is not instantaneous, I.e. spray hits, virus presumed immediately dead, that's totally wrong. Despite this in the videos I have seen they start the spraying immediatley as the workers begin disrobing. Without giving it time to exert its antimicrobial properties, this fluid could simply be mechanically washing any virus downward concentrating it to glove region.

Quickly looked on CDC website they are very vague saying quote:
One study reported that 25 different viruses were inactivated in 10 minutes with 200 ppm available chlorine.

Also found the following there.

Free chlorine kills many pathogens such as E. coli 0157: H7 in less than a minute if it is maintained at proper disinfection levels (1-3 parts per million [ppm] free chlorine) and under ideal water conditions (pH at 7.5 or less ). However, a few germs are moderately chlorine-tolerant. The table below shows the approximate disinfection times for these germs in chlorinated water.

Chlorine Disinfection Timetable

E. coli 0157:H7 (Bacterium) less than 1 minute.

Hepatitis A (Virus)     approximately 16 minutes.

Giardia (Parasite)     approximately 45 minutes

Notes:
1 mg/L (1ppm) free chlorine at pH 7.5 and 25° C (77° F)
Disinfection times would be expected to be longer in the presence of a chlorine stabilizer such as cyanuric acid.

Anyway will post link as it shows all the antimicrobial disinfectants and what they are and aren't effective against.

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/disinfection_sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

Anyway just thinking.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:19am
Yes. Which is why autoclaving of instruments is only approved method in tattooing. Cold sterilants are never approved. But... Kinda hard to autoclave a human in PPE. There has got to be a failproof way figured out that is simple and safe.
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:21am
" free ticket for ebola"....  who doesnt want such.. i also thought what can one do with the equipment after doing dialysis to one patient with ebola.... it is pretty hard to cremate it i presume... 
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:39am
I've just read that someone else connected with the nurse is in isolation. I wonder if they have symptoms?

A “close contact” of the worker has been “proactively” placed in isolation, Varga added. CN
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:42am
Don't they have CCTV in isolation units? They always do in the movies. Perhaps they could look back and see where a possible contamination occurred. 

I'm interested to see that they have shut the ER of that hospital. Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted! So they've has a weeks worth of sick and injured people through the place and now they are shutting it? Very odd. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:44am
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

There has got to be a failproof way figured out that is simple and safe.

Maybe not. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
atheris View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atheris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:46am
kiwimum.. i really do not think it was a very obvious thing  ... so that you can see it on camera.... i do think it had something to do with the sterilisation procedure afterwards... a small mistake there and it is done...
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Germ Nerdier Germ Nerdier wrote:

Oneflu..

Right! If she can remember touching her face, then it was a conscious act... otherwise it would be impossible to remember. No one would consciously touch an Ebola laden glove to their face.

One other option might be as soon as she realized she'd done it she stopped cold & thought oh my gosh what did I just do.  Then pulled a Duncan... went on about her life praying that that one touch wouldn't matter but knowing in the back of her mind that any day now she might show symptoms.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Hazelpad Hazelpad wrote:

Still not convinced about chlorine spray, you need to let the stuff have time to work before it inactivates the virus. Different bacteria and virus need different exposure times to the sterilisating agent ( see CDC guidelines below).   Importantly the process is not instantaneous, I.e. spray hits, virus presumed immediately dead, that's totally wrong.

Free chlorine kills many pathogens such as E. coli 0157: H7 in less than a minute if it is maintained at proper disinfection levels (1-3 parts per million [ppm] free chlorine) and under ideal water conditions (pH at 7.5 or less ).

Really good points Hazel, I had not considered this.  I just assumed watching them spray each other down & spraying paths on the ground that it was instant.
CoderOne View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoderOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 12:27pm
That's a pretty big hospital to be shutting down an ER. This whole Dallas outbreak is starting to smell like a dead fish.
debg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 12:40pm
Remember when we were first discussing MERS on here and all of the those first patients were getting dialysis? This is making think the same thing with the Dallas case....although since it is obviously extremely easy to catch, (sorry CDC), there are probably multiple ways she could have gotten infected. Whatever the transmission was, this is terrifying and if those flights don't get stopped, I'm afraid we are going to be seeing many, many more.....Angry

Phylica1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phylica1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 12:42pm
The nurse was at work till two days ago , I believe that's what they said. Friday was when the hospital knew the nurse had a fever. Therefore, they made no announcement of another possible case till today. Who was the nurse around at work?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 1:17pm
I personally believe a larger part of this cluster will emerge this next week in upwards of 3 + new cases.   "Clusters" usually always involve healthcare AND family.  

I'm not ruling out the GF Louise Troh and/or family being symptomatic right now.   If i was a betting man, I would probably put a small wager on it that they are in fact now showing signs.   Get ready for another announcement, is my personal opinion.   As long as they handle/contain these new ones correctly, then they can minimize the contact tracing and contain it.  If we get a rogue case completely outside the contact watch list, well then they better call in Doctors without Borders (lol) and prepare for a large one -  defcon 5
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 1:59pm
Yeah and I'm not so sure I believe the Mexican report as being bogus. Neither side of that is confirmed to my satisfaction. And if that Mexican guy caught it in Dallas as stated then from whom? Of course this is only speculation but I'm holding my breath for now.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 2:10pm
Meanwhile the Hazmat team clean the first infected healthcare worker's home.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/hazmat-team-arrives-to-clean-ebola-patients-home/article/feed/2172427
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 2:49pm
Relax albert.Your right though
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 2:52pm

Yeah and I'm not so sure I believe the Mexican report as being bogus. Neither side of that is confirmed to my satisfaction. And if that Mexican guy caught it in Dallas as stated then from whom? Of course this is only speculation but I'm holding my breath for now.

I'm with you Onefluover, seems one to keep an eye on.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Phylica1 Phylica1 wrote:

The nurse was at work till two days ago , I believe that's what they said. Friday was when the hospital knew the nurse had a fever. Therefore, they made no announcement of another possible case till today. Who was the nurse around at work?

I read she was self checking herself for fever.  When she showed one she self quarantined herself at home then went to the hospital where she was isolated.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 3:39pm
So sorry if some have you have read the full question and answer interview posted on the CDC website ( link at bottom of post).   However for those who havent I picked out 4 questions TOM FRIEDEN answered below.

Firstly about why the HCW and not family have caught it. Second has the HCW any idea when she got exposed. Next a bit about dialysis in Ebola patients, and last about contact tracing of this new case:

Press Briefing Transcript
CDC update on Dallas Ebola Response, 10-12-2014

We will now take questions. We will start in the room and then go to the phone.

1: JEFFREY WISE: Yes. Can you speak to how a health care worker using high precautions apparently caught the Ebola when people who had close contact in that apartment several days did not, and do you have any plans to transfer this new case to one of the specialty hospitals in Atlanta or Nebraska, someplace like that.

TOM FRIEDEN: With regard to the first question, when patients have Ebola, they become progressively infectious the sicker they become, because the amount of virus in their body and in their secretions increases, and people who had contact with this individual, the index patient, in Dallas prior to his isolation are not yet out of their 21 day exposure period, so we're not out of the woods yet with potential additional cases among contacts before isolation. But medical procedures involve dealing with blood, dealing with body fluids, diarrhea, vomit, other things that may have very large quantities of virus, and that's why the personal protective equipment and protocols are so important because as someone gets sicker, they get more infectious also. We will look at all possibilities to ensure the safe care of patients to the greatest extent possible. Next question.

2: STEVE GEHLBACH: Steve Gelbach with WSB TV in Atlanta. This health care worker had multiple contacts with the original patient. In your interviews with her, has she been specifically isolated, a chance where this may have occurred where this breach you say in those interviews with her, talking about why you're investigating, where she's taking off the equipment or anything, why you're focusing on that part in your investigation?

TOM FRIEDEN: We have spoken with the health care worker and that individual has not been able to identify a specific breach. We look at every single interaction, what was the nature of the interaction, look at any information we can gather. I was not mentioning taking on or off or procedures related to the investigation but as a general rule. These are the two areas where we see the greatest risk.

3: OPERATOR: Next question comes from Lisa Schnirring with CIDRAP.

LISA SCHNIRRING: Hi, thanks for making such great information available today. I'm wondering how common is it for people to be on dialysis or to be intubated during an Ebola infection, is that something you've seen in other patients treated in western countries? Just wondering how common that is and how often health care workers have had to deal with those situations. Thanks so much.

TOM FRIEDEN: Thank you. I don't know the details of the other patients cared for in other parts of the world, but I’m not familiar with any prior patient with Ebola who has undergone either intubation or dialysis. Certainly it would be very unusual if it has happened before. I do

So he also went on to say this case is the start of a whole new chain of contacts....I.e. The first chain was those with contact before he went into isolation on September 28th. This new chain was for those in contact with him after isolation, I.e. within the ICU.

TOM FRIEDEN: Thank you. So the 48 contacts identified were individual who had contact up to September 28th, the day he was isolated. This person was not exposed in that period of time. Those 48 as per everything we know are the only people he may have had contact with before he became isolated. In terms of the care in the hospital from the 28th to October 8th, the date he passed away, that's a period of 10, 11 days when there may have been additional contacts, given the fact this individual clearly was exposed then. That's what's being investigated now. So that first contact tracing period identified what we still believe is all 48 who were exposed, up to the time he was isolated. Now we're doing a new investigation given the diagnosis late last night of this individual of anyone else who may have been exposed once he was on what should have been effective isolation. In terms of the clinical status of the patient, i can say that our information is that as of at least some time back, she was showing only mild symptoms and low grade fever. Our team lead did interview her directly and will continue to monitor closely to ensure she gets the best possible care. We will take two more questions on the phone.

Full questions and answers at

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/t1012-ebola-reponse-update.html
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 4:06pm
Oneflu .......We also autoclave everything before use. Nothing gets used unless the black lines on the tape turn black. Organic variables, bugs viruses can contaminate and influence results and bacteria medium, clinical waste get the treatment also. Autoclave waste stinks. Despite this, and using sterile techniques we still get contamination in our work, usually fungal, so nothing is fail safe.

What will you do if someone walks into your shop saying they want a tattoo of their beloved homeland which they were forced to leave the week before, then whip out national flag of Liberia.

You never know, fortune favours the prepared.

Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 4:51pm
The CDC is pointing the finger at a "breach of protocol", but they don't know for sure.

Why wouldn't the nurse know how the protocol was breached? Perhaps there is something else going on here.

CDC News conference:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/12/health-care-worker-at-dallas-hospital-tests-positive-for-ebola/

What if they're wrong about airborne transmissibility?

WHY SHOULD ANY NURSE OR DOCTOR PUT THEIR LIVES AT RISK IN THIS COUNTRY SIMPLY BECAUSE OUR PRESIDENT REFUSES TO SHUT DOWN FLIGHTS OUT OF W. AFRICA? THEY SHOULD USE MILITARY TRANPORT PLANES FOR MEDICAL WORKERS AND SUPPLIES, NOT PASSENGER JETS!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 6:59pm

Oneflu .......We also autoclave everything before use. Nothing gets used unless the black lines on the tape turn black. Organic variables, bugs viruses can contaminate and influence results and bacteria medium, clinical waste get the treatment also. Autoclave waste stinks. Despite this, and using sterile techniques we still get contamination in our work, usually fungal, so nothing is fail safe.

What will you do if someone walks into your shop saying they want a tattoo of their beloved homeland which they were forced to leave the week before, then whip out national flag of Liberia.

You never know, fortune favours the prepared.

Good question Hazel. There are actually quite extensive rules and regulations governing tattooing in place in many states in the US, Oregon being the sixth State to regulate at the state level and the toughest of which I sat on the advisory committee that drew up those regulations that most of the other states reference in creating their own set of regs. This is of course past-tence as I sold my businesses in June of 012 but any prospective client must be free of any known or perceived infectious disease or bloodborne pathogen to receive work and that is not optional. Perceived is of course rather vague. Being from Liberia alone is not a disqualifier. I would take the persons temperature. If it was normal then I would proceeded. However, my contractors are self employed and in my view would have the right to decline based on the circumstances. I could neither legally order them to proceed nor would I ask them to and I will say that most would not. Whether they would be setting themselves up for a discrimination claim or not is not known by me. But at this point in the situation I personally would do it. At some point along in the future though, yes, I would decline.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Elver Elver wrote:

The CDC is pointing the finger at a "breach of protocol", but they don't know for sure.

WHY SHOULD ANY NURSE OR DOCTOR PUT THEIR LIVES AT RISK IN THIS COUNTRY SIMPLY BECAUSE OUR PRESIDENT REFUSES TO SHUT DOWN FLIGHTS OUT OF W. AFRICA? THEY SHOULD USE MILITARY TRANPORT PLANES FOR MEDICAL WORKERS AND SUPPLIES, NOT PASSENGER JETS!

Elver, your president doesn't have any authority to shut down flights out of W. Africa. He can close his borders and prevent flights from W. Africa - and anywhere else - landing in America but he can't stop them leaving Africa. He has no authority on anyone elses borders.

He has no power to prevent a whole plane load of Ebola victims flying straight into Paris for example, but he can stop them coming directly to America. The question is how far do you take it? Ban all direct flights coming from Africa, but what about the flights coming from London or Paris where a passenger could transit through?
miker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

Ban all direct flights coming from Africa, but what about the flights coming from London or Paris where a passenger could transit through?

Passports or other accepted forms of ID are required to enter the US, right ? How do you think they enforce the no fly lists ?

Yes, they can be faked, but same for terrorists, and I imagine they're at least reasonably good at keeping terrorists out through secret methods, and to the point of banning many people who should never be on no fly lists in the first place.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that many Ebola infected "runners" might not have the time or financial resources to find a way to sneak through the security checks. Yes, maybe a few percent might get through, but that's a great deal better than 25% or 100%.
:)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 7:51pm
Ok so how long will it take to discover what protocol was breached? Has anyone asked this nurse? Hope they come up with answers soon the American people are really watching this one!
miker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 8:02pm

"In Spain, a nursing assistant diagnosed with the virus after caring for an Ebola patient recalled touching her gloved hand to her face while removing equipment and health authorities there are looking at that as a possible cause of infection."

I don't believe that. Inadvertent my patooty! If she remembered the contact to her face enough to later report it she one, would of remembered to NEVER do such a thing and two, if it did happen she would of remembered to immediately wash her face with a medical grade virucidal. Whether the report is true or not we've got problems Houston.

In the earliest news releases about the Spanish nurse/assistant, she said that she had no idea how she got infected. Those stories continued for 4-5 days, IIRC, then suddenly she claimed to remember touching her face with glove.

I think it's very unusual for someone to not remember something for several days, and then suddenly remember a lapse.

A theory was floated on another site that her employer or the authorities there may have asked her to report this bogus "memory" in the name of "panic" reduction, business as usual for the economy, and/or to save money on PPE purchases; motives that have been alleged for the CDC as well.

So far the trend has been to blame the nurses first, rather than doctors, public health officials, lax immigration or the use of BSL 2 PPE when BSL 4 is called for.

(1) Texas hospital/CDC first blamed admissions nurse for 1st visit screwup, then later changed the story at least twice, LOL.
(2) Blame the Spanish nurse.
(3) Blame this latest nurse. CDC's Frieden said "...there was a breach in protocol," confidently, before any investigation.

Frieden does not want to admit that the CDC protocol of BSL 2 is insufficient.
miker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Ok so how long will it take to discover what protocol was breached? Has anyone asked this nurse? Hope they come up with answers soon the American people are really watching this one!

I have doubts that they will let this nurse talk publicly about protocol.

I'd bet everybody is filling out paperwork trying to cover their own asses of any blame.

Chances of a "tell all" document coming out might be higher if she dies, Of course a lawsuit or a movie deal might loosen lips of someone otherwise worried about losing their job, or being sued herself for breaching employer confidentiality.
miker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 8:20pm

It is quite surprising that a HCW with full PPE becomes infected, yet the family members that cared for him with absolutely no PPE seem likely to have avoided it.

1) The infected nurse was exposed at a later date after admission or directly after death when viral load reached its peak, and was higher than when family were caring for him, touching and cleaning up after him.

IMO, it's not surprising, and your #1 is the likely answer.

It's well established that death is the peak of the virus. That's what we've seen and heard from those working in the clinics in West Africa. Enough so IMO, that it exceeds the protection of BSL level 2 PPE when you have to handle things which contain eg highly infectious human feces.

And of course that's why the West Africans are doing better than the PPE requirements in the US/Spain, and yet still they have so many health workers there getting it and dying.

When he was in the apartment he was still going to the bathroom by himself and the virus ramps up a huge amount in the last week of life.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 8:29pm
Thanks Miker from the beautiful country of Canada! And welcome to avianflutalk.com You have some interesting points.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 8:47pm
If protocol was breached while taking off the suit, that only supports that the virus can survive outside the host on various surfaces/suits for awhile and perhaps an hour or so.  That's a pretty good secondary mode. 

On another note - I noticed in Madrid in the recent similar situation that they euthanized the nurse's dog for concerns.   Almost like a remake of old yeller going down on this one soon.  Is that dog carrying the virus?  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:29pm
DALLAS — The health care worker who tested positive for Ebola has a dog, but the mayor of Dallas says unlike in a recent Spanish case, the dog will be kept safe for eventual reunion with its owner.

Mayor Mike Rawlings told USA TODAY that the dog remained in the health care worker's apartment when she was hospitalized and will soon be sent to a new location to await its owner's recovery.

There are no plans to euthanize the dog, he said.

"This was a new twist," Rawlings said. "The dog's very important to the patient and we want it to be safe."

There were no immediate details on the name or type of dog.

More:

http://www.google.com/gwt/x?u=http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/10/12/dallas-ebola-health-worker-dog/17159727/&ei=oFQ7VNf4F6SUsQfp_ICYCA&wsc=yh
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:35pm
Good.   That could have been a sad little turn in this.   Let's hope they both do survive this and are reunited.  I will look forward to seeing that day.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:37pm
Me too, Yay for dogs!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 9:58pm
Chalk one up for Fido! Watch it become Dog Zero now. Just kidding just kidding!

See you'all, us Americans aren't always all bad.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

If protocol was breached while taking off the suit, that only supports that the virus can survive outside the host on various surfaces/suits for awhile and perhaps an hour or so.  That's a pretty good secondary mode. 

I just posted the other day that Ebola can survive on surfaces for up to 6 days under perfect conditions. They didn't define "perfect conditions".
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:52pm
I know I've already posted this before but it bears repeating... Why can't they set up a tiny room where the HCW stands arms up going round & round with these UV lights on all sides of the room? Kinda like spray tanning,lol.

Dallas, TX-Robots are turning out to be the best weapon against Ebola in one Texas hospital.

There's no more scrubbing with soap and water to disinfect patient rooms. The University Hospital in San Antonio is on the cutting edge with robots that flash UV light to kill the germs. The light is 25,000 times brighter than the sun, which can kill viruses such as Ebola.

"In a typical room, the housekeeper cleans the bathroom, wheel the robot into the room. The light goes up and down as it pulses for about 5 minutes and that's just saturating the room with light and zapping the germ,” said Mark Stibich, robot developer."It is very difficult to clean every square inch of a room. The robot does that with light."
Patients say they feel more comfortable knowing the room is totally clean.

"It makes me feel very excited to know that they are keeping up with the newest and the best of the technology out there,” said patient Carol Wisdom. "As a nurse I look around, cleanliness is a really big thing in the hospital."

Each robot costs about $100,000.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 11:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic