Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

I'm new: help me understand? - Event Date: October 12 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CayzerR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: I'm new: help me understand?
    Posted: October 12 2014 at 5:49am
Why are (US) flights in/out of (West) Africa continuing? Are politicians simply responding to focus groups? [A genuine question, I deeply love our planet. No juvenile responses please]
best regards, Richard
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 12:58pm
Welcome CayzerR.  Many here are asking the same question.
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 1:40pm
Hi, CayzerR and welcome. Somebody mentioned on another thread that China, who holds alot of US debt, has alot of business and economic interests in Africa. That makes alot of sense to me as to the reasoning here.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 2:02pm
At this point in the situation, a moratorium on all flights in or out, either voluntary or forced means a game ender for effected countries. It crosses a line that spells an irreversible abandonment and doom. It is precisely what would trigger a war and mass exodus out, by land and sea, carrying Ebola along with it. No one wants to be the first to step up and make that call. In time though, in fact right around the corner we are going to see mass airline worker strikes over... danger pay and those refusing to continue working in an infected environment altogether. In that sence the effected people will be making the call themselves and their governments and foreign governments will be off the hook but war and exodus will then still ensue. That is my take on it anyways.
"And then there were none."
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 2:12pm
Very valid points also, onefluover.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 2:18pm
I have to agree with oneflu on the moratorium.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
ASB View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 7:29pm
IMO there are a few reasons that flights have not been canceled. 1. If the "border"between Liberia and the US were closed it would send a precedent that the border between the US and Mexico could be closed. 2. The CDC has arrogantly decided that they know how safe it is to be around people with Ebola and think they can contain an outbreak in the US. 3. If you read some of the reports talking about why the border cannot be closed you will find a sentence somewhat late in the article saying that the governments of those African countries would collapse if we closed flights. The world economy is so fragile that they fear the collapse of one or more African governments would set off a chain reaction.

I absolutely do not buy that restricting flights would not allow us to offer medical aid. I also do not believe that a restricted border even with people breaking the rules would be less safe than an open border.
David Walters W W View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Walters W W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 7:59pm
In light of Dallas development, what about the 3,000 troops sent to Africa?
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 8:00pm
Global governance perhaps, the bulk of the people pulling the levers in this country are members of the Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, and Bilderberg Group. It's not in their interest to close boarders or protect national sovereignty. Just a guess.
Opium is the opiate of the masses
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 8:18pm
Membership Roster of the Council on Foreign Relations
www.cfr.org/about/membership/roster.html?letter=F
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 8:20pm
It's my understanding that only Delta and United have flights into Ghana ( not Guinea) and Nigeria. There are very, very few direct flights into or out of the three effected countries to or from the U. S.! Most flights out of West Africa go to Europe or the middle East!
Buy more ammo!
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 9:25pm
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:17pm
Gee Elver!, Thanks for the English lesson! How anal are you?
Buy more ammo!
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:44pm
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:55pm
I'm in my 60's and really dom't give a F___! You get over it!
Buy more ammo!
GUEST View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUEST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 2:58am
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

I'm in my 60's and really dom't give a F___! You get over it!

arirish, Go bite a bat.

"dom't"...Really?
coyote View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 3:15am
Ut Oh..Now Arrish!
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 6:58am
Wow, another Council on Foreign Relations member, not an expert in the field of infectious disease. What a surprise!

Meet Obama’s Ebola Coordinator Lisa Monaco
www.wlec.com/politics/meet-obamas-ebola-coordinator-lisa-monaco/
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 10:34am
We are citizens of the world now after all!
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 12:10pm
I suspect the flights are continuing due to economic pressures. Also banning flights from Africa landing in the US will not make a jot of difference as so many flights from Africa transit in Europe. So you let a flight in from Paris and half the passengers have transferred through from Africa, and you've still got a problem.

The bottom line is, in economies as fragile as the West currnently have, every single decision is based on money.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
mrmouse View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 8:23am
OBAMA DUMPED BUSH-ERA QUARANTINE PROPOSAL
Regulations aimed to prevent travelers from spreading disease
mobile.wnd.com/2014/10/obama-dumped-bush-era-quarantine-proposal/#LFVMXqk6Jye2jlKy.99
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic