Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ebola Slowing Trend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola Slowing Trend
    Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:20am
Ebola falling below 30 day doubling. This is good news. It shows WHO's efforts are making a difference

arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 7:47am
Thanks Cobber! It's nice to see some reality on this site!
Buy more ammo!
gady71 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gady71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 8:44am
Hi ! where do u got this from ? any links ?
I do apologize for my poor english. Prepare for the Worst and Hope for the Best!
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:21am

That's odd.. just Friday they said that there was a false downward trend, stating that it was still out of control and numbers were being unreported.  It's hard to know what to believe.  Guess, we'll just have to wait and see.  I hope that report is accurate!! :)

Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:17pm
Hi ! where do u got this from ? any links ? gady71

Its data from the following page. It's only based on deaths, which is a slow indicator but accurate.

Bottom line. Its a break from the 30 day trend, which is fantastic news. 

Regarding Media BS on numbers: There is mass hysteria at the moment and the media will whip up a $hit storm to get ratings. Its what they do. 

The graph is based on data the media is based on hype
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:36pm
Sleusha it talks about it in the thread about families paying to have death certificates altered to say they did NOT die of Ebola so they can keep the body. That might have some effect on this map do you think?
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:41pm
It was Suzi's post:

http://www.avianflutalk.com/bribes-for-burials_topic32635.html

Some families affected by Ebola in Liberia pay bribes to keep the bodies

14 Hours ago

Health workers scrambling to contain the deadly Ebola virus in Liberia now have to contend with an outbreak of corruption among those detailed to collect the bodies of victims.

The Wall Street Journal reports that retrieval teams are accepting bribes from families of Ebola victims to issue death certificates that say their loved ones died of other causes, allowing them to keep their bodies for a traditional burial.

“The family says the person is not an Ebola patient, and [the retrieval team] pull them away from the other people," Vincent Chounse, a community outreach worker on the outskirts of Monrovia, told the paper. "Then they say, ‘We can give you a certificate from the Ministry of Health that it wasn’t Ebola.' Sometimes it is $40. Sometimes it is $50. ... Then they offer bags to them and [the family] carry on their own thing.” A teenager in Montserrado told the Journal he saw the father of his neighbor pay $150 for a certificate that said his son's corpse was Ebola-free.

Government Information Minister Lewis Brown told the paper his office has received reports of health workers issuing fake death certificates, but he added that no burial team has "a capacity to go and issue certificates."

According to the World Health Organization, more than 4,000 Ebola cases have been reported in Liberia, resulting in 2,316 deaths since the outbreak began.

But local health officials say the numbers are not adding up.

“We are not receiving the amount of community calls that we should be,” Agnes “Cokie” van der Velde, who oversees body collection teams for Doctors Without Borders, told the paper.

The grim task of removing bodies infected with Ebola is critical, health officials say, because the dead are a major source of contagion.

Working against them is the stigma associated with Ebola among West Africans, and the desire for the family to have a traditional burial. Often, communities will assume that one person infected with the disease means his or her entire family is infected and therefore is discriminated against and shunned.

Van der Velde said while she was not aware of body retrieval teams accepting bribes, they are nonetheless in a tricky position. “We try to be very respectful, but in the end what we’re doing is taking their loved one, zipping them in a bag and taking them away."
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:49pm
Hi Cobber
I don't see the downturn in the graphs I produce which are based on published WHO data.

This is the latest graph set based on 8th Oct report.

spam hunter extraordinaire
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:19am
Rickster. My figures are based on total deaths from the WHO. I trended them against 30 day doubling. The site I gave above uses the latest data from the WHO. 

My figures are up to date, yours are from September..

September is the point at which the graph starts to break trend

This selling bodies thing maybe throwing out the figures, but i cant see it happening in more than a few isolated cases. More likely media spin me tinks 
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 4:21am
Sorry forgot to say. The graph you show above, "split" when combined shows the tapering trend.
rickster58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickster58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:35pm
Cobber,
My figures are based on WHO data released 8th Oct. The timeline only updates on the 25th of each month
spam hunter extraordinaire
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic