Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Breaking..2nd worker Ebola Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking..2nd worker Ebola Texas
    Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:05am
Now on CNN
coyote View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:10am
Also on Fox News.
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:13am
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/second-texas-health-care-worker-tests-positive-ebola-n226161
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:14am
IMO the one that should ring high danger will be when someone who is not a health care worker gets it.
Kay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:15am
How awful, wonder if it's a nurse.  
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:19am
NBC, and BBC also are reporting. Looks legit
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
ViQueen24 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViQueen24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 2:47am
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 3:11am
(CNN) -- A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan has tested positive for Ebola, the state's health department said Wednesday.

The worker reported a fever Tuesday and was immediately isolated, health department spokeswoman Carrie Williams said.

The preliminary Ebola test was done late Tuesday at the state public health laboratory in Austin, and the results came back around midnight. A second test will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
Mayor: 'Concerned' about Ebola spreading
Understanding Ebola protocols
Director: Nurse's infection 'unacceptable'

"Health officials have interviewed the latest patient to quickly identify any contacts or potential exposures, and those people will be monitored," the health department said. "The type of monitoring depends on the nature of their interactions and the potential they were exposed to the virus."

But the pool of contacts could be small, since Ebola can only be transmitted when an infected person shows symptoms. Less than a day passed between the onset of the worker's symptoms and isolation at the hospital.

The second time

The latest infection marks the second-ever transmission of Ebola in the United States. Both stemmed from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital.

Late last week, nurse Tina Pham tested positive for Ebola. She also took care of Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States. Duncan died last week.

On Tuesday, Pham said she was doing well.

"I am blessed by the support of family and friends, and am blessed to be cared for by the best team of doctors and nurses in the world," she said.

Official: Duncan should have been moved

Serious questions are now being raised about Texas Health Presbyterian, its ability to hand Ebola and whether it can protect its workers from getting it.

An official close to the situation says that in hindsight, Duncan should have been transferred immediately to either Emory University Hospital in Atlanta or Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

Those hospitals are among only four in the country that have biocontainment units and have been preparing for years to treat a highly infectious disease like Ebola.

"If we knew then what we know now about this hospital's ability to safely care for these patients, then we would have transferred him to Emory or Nebraska," the official told CNN Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen.

"I think there are hospitals that are more than ready, but I think there are some that are not."

Troubling allegations

And National Nurses United made troubling allegations about the hospital Tuesday, claiming "guidelines were constantly changing" and "there were no protocols" about how to deal with the deadly virus."

"The protocols that should have been in place in Dallas were not in place, and that those protocols are not in place anywhere in the United States as far as we can tell," NNU Executive Director RoseAnn DeMoro said. "We're deeply alarmed."

A Texas Health Presbyterian spokesman did not respond to the specific allegations, but said patient and employee safety is the hospital's top priority.

"We take compliance very seriously," hospital spokesman Wendell Watson said. "We have numerous measures in place to provide a safe working environment, including mandatory annual training and a 24-7 hotline and other mechanisms that allow for anonymous reporting."

Global epidemic

While the Texas hospital deals with its third Ebola patient, the situation in West Africa is getting increasingly dire.

More than 4,000 people have died from Ebola this year in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

And could be up to 10,000 new Ebola cases per week in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone by the end of this year as the outbreak spreads, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.

U.S. President Barack Obama says he'll reach out directly to heads of state to encourage other countries to do more to fight back.

"There are a number of countries that have capacity that have not yet stepped up," he said. "Those that have stepped up, all of us, are going to have to do more."

CNN's Catherine E. Shoichet and Tina Burnside contributed to this report.
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 5:33am
Expect to hear of more cases this week..
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 5:36am
O'Reilly Calls for Resignation of 'Chief Propagandist' CDC Director Thomas Frieden......

[link to nation.foxnews.com]
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 6:47am
This is exactly what many had feared from day one. Stop the immigration of the virus or suffer the consequences.
"And then there were none."
ozarkcountryboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozarkcountryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 6:52am
Why not shut down the entire hospital till this stops.
I would not go to work there!
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 6:58am
MODEERATORS -- can't this post be merged with the post of the exact same subject? I don't think there is a need for two identical posts. It would be much easier to post to just one or the other post, and easier for folks to read the latest posts without having to constantly open both posts.   
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:28am
I'm not sure just yet how to do that but I agree and will look into it. They were posted in same minute of eachother in middle of night so at least it shows how swift we are here in getting important news out.
"And then there were none."
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:54am
Duncan family has to be sick.....
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:55am
I think we were watching CNN at the same time! Interesting that they release the news in the middle of the night! What is that for? The stock markets are going crazy, bond markets are going crazy. The swings are wild. Is it planned?
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:04am
Hi 7Laws..Yup watching CNN at the same Time. Yes the Market has been going crazy! The Bubble is about ready to Burst..

In the last five days it has fallen from:

16,989 to 15,990 right now.

That is about a 5.4% drop.
Rocki View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:30am
Shocked  OMG !! second health care worker diagnosed was on a plane the night before symptoms appeared!!  a plane that came to my neck of the woods!!
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:45am
Coyote, I have been wondering how this would be living where I am living. I fully expect a dollar collapse and then ebola was such a surprise. Right now all is normal but what is it like on Wall Street? The bankers must be in full panic mode coming up with the next way to save the system.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:55am
The DOW was down 450 points last I heard.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 11:01am
They are trying to talk it down on Bloomberg now. Evidently 10% in about a week is no big deal. That is what is being said but I am sure they are selling themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic