Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are the family members of Duncan showing symptoms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Are the family members of Duncan showing symptoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are the family members of Duncan showing symptoms
    Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:53am
What is "REALLY" going on with them. Can anyone find anything??
Is Duncan now considered a murderer? Did he know he was infected? Did he know he may of been infected? I feel the family is feeling something by now.. This whole thing stinks....
Nanook View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:00am
It sure is strange that the girlfriend is not ill; what no kissing even?  Is it possible that Duncan knew and kept away from his family to save them from ebola.  Unfortunately some innocent health care workers have to suffer the consequences of a Liberian seeking treatment here.  
Always be Prepared!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:13am
I honestly believe poor Duncan was innocent.  The pregnant ebola victim he helped was, almost certainly, believed to be having a miscarriage at the time he helped her, not ebola.  Then he told the first people who he saw in hospital that he had been in Africa.

This was no Sawer/Sower. 

Even the uninfected family members can be easily explained, as they were not infected before symptoms (got lucky) and after he became symptomatic they followed the precautions the hospital were too stupid to implement.

Ok, so he changed beds.  Not good behaviour in anyone's book.  But, by then he may have been delerious, or at least not thinking clearly.

At least give the poor man the benefit of the doubt.  He died horribly, his friends and family speak highly of him, he risked his life and lost it helping someone else.  There but for the grace of God go any of us. 

He did make medical mistakes, but he was not medically trained.  Others made mistakes too and they were!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:25am
There must be 1 - 2 cases that have nothing to do with the healthcare workers, whether it is with the family or not.   The healthcare workers were expected. 

I'm assuming we will see a couple more cases.  Louise Troh invoked HIPAA laws i believe.  They may announce a family members over the next day or two.  

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:31am
I am with Technophobe about Duncan; don't believe he did it deliberately.  Also don't believe all the lies his family has told about why he came here either but I don't believe he knew when he got on the plane.

He and his family did try to do the right thing when they suspected and it's not his fault.

Sad for everyone involved.

roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:04am
Their quarantine ends on Oct 19th.
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Jade4now View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade4now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 7:47pm
Thank you Technophobe for showing humanity in your post. So much ugliness in some people's comments, such as wishing certain people "get it first" because they don't happen to like them, that I saw on a recent post. Duncan tried to help someone. And no good deed goes unpunished when people have the opportunity to vent their spleen, anonymously, on line. Thank you for taking the high road.
Kay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 8:41pm
The NYT said Duncan rode in the cab when they tried to take the woman to the Ebola ward.
  Posted: October 01 2014 at 2:45pm
Sorry if this has already been posted.

New York Times

U.S. Patient Aided Pregnant Liberian, Then Took Ill
MONROVIA, Liberia

— A man who flew to Dallas and was later found to have the Ebola virus was identified by senior Liberian government officials on Wednesday as Thomas Eric Duncan, a resident of Monrovia in his mid-40s.

Mr. Duncan, the first person to develop symptoms outside Africa during the current epidemic, had direct contact with a woman stricken by Ebola on Sept. 15, just four days before he left Liberia for the United States, the woman’s parents and Mr. Duncan’s neighbors said.

In a pattern often seen here in Monrovia, the Liberian capital, the family of the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, took her by taxi to a hospital with Mr. Duncan’s help on Sept. 15 after failing to get an ambulance, said her parents, Emmanuel and Amie Williams. She was convulsing and seven months pregnant, they said.

Turned away from a hospital for lack of space in its Ebola treatment ward, the family said it took Ms. Williams back home in the evening, and that she died hours later, around 3 a.m.
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:56pm
I think technophobe has a point...Duncan may not have known the pregnant woman had ebola. He may have thought this is one of the many deaths that happen during pregnancy or delivery in Africa. People die in Africa every day from things one would never die from in other countries. They can die from malaria, pregnancy, delivery, flu, diabetes, and a million other things that can be easily treated or cured in other countries.
So technophobe could be right, that Duncan did not know about the woman having ebola....unless someone has found an article stating he knew this. I haven't heard anything myself.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
MelodyAtHome View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelodyAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 9:59pm
I too was wondering about Duncan's family members that was living with him. One would think at least one of them would have fallen ill with ebola a well being they were in an apartment that did not appear to be that large for 4-5 people. It's not like they could go to another "wing" of the apartment/house to get away from Duncan. They had close contact no matter how far across the room they were from him. It would be a miracle if none of them get sick. I pray for a miracle for them. This sounds like a HORRIBLE and painful illness/death.
Melody
Emergency Preparedness 911
http://emergencypreparedness911.blogspot.com/
Kay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:08pm
The paper said they were turned away from the Ebola ward for lack of space I don't know why people are acting like he didn't know.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Kay Kay wrote:

The paper said they were turned away from the Ebola ward for lack of space I don't know why people are acting like he didn't know.

You are right. The articles are posted in AFT.
"And then there were none."
Guest View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:29pm
To me what is so sad... the Liberian people are so nice and friendly and helpful.   This horrible disease preys upon that.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 10:29pm
He knew. Sorry but I feel like the reports we've seen prove he knew. His whole village was affected by it.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2014 at 11:04pm
If not one of his family or close friends come down with it then I think I would assume he knew and he came to America as his only hope of getting good medical treatment. If that is the case then he would have arrived in the States, told them all of his suspicions and they would have kept their distance and taken whatever precautions they could. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Kay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 4:23pm
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Ebola-Victims-Family-Prepares-to-Leave-Quarantine-279633312.html
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 4:30pm
Thank you Kay for updating this!  I hope you don't mind I posted it out from your link:

Ebola Victim's Family Prepares to Leave Quarantine

Oct 18, 2014

The first group of people exposed to Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to die from Ebola in the United States, will no longer be considered at risk for the Ebola virus at 12 a.m. Monday.

After three weeks of isolation or self-monitoring, 47 people -- including Duncan's fiancee Louise Troh, her 13-year-old son and two nephews --- will be cleared and allowed to go on with their lives.

Louise Troh's pastor tells NBC 5, while in quarantine the family has heard all the concerns about them and speculation about what they may have known about Duncan's condition.

Since being placed under quarantine, Troh and her family haven't really been able to address any of the public's concerns.

Wilshire Baptist Church Pastor Mark Wingfield says they've heard people blame them for the Ebola situation in Dallas, but say Duncan would never have knowingly come to the U.S. from Liberia risking the spread of infection or knowing he was infected.

"They got caught in this situation unbeknownst to them and it's not that they've done anything wrong and it's very hard to understand when you're in their shoes, why anyone out there would try to place blame on them or on Eric, who they firmly believe did not know he was infected," said Wingfield.

Wingfield told NBC 5 his real concern is for the family's safety.

"We are working feverishly to come up with an appropriate plan to assist them in coming out of quarantine and having a place to go and being secure and safe in getting somewhere and trying to find a way to reestablish their lives even though certainly things have dramatically changed," he said.

Wingfield says the family just wants to mourn their loss and find a place where they can resume their lives in peace.

"Due to the isolation and the quarantine, you have all these family members and a close network here of folks who just have not had proper time to grieve this loss," said Wingfield. "And then on top of it, they've been subjected to this trauma of this international crisis that they find themselves in the middle of, so it's certainly insult to injury."

Two nurses who treated Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital before his death on Oct. 8 are now being treated for Ebola.

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Jade4now Jade4now wrote:

Thank you Technophobe for showing humanity in your post. So much ugliness in some people's comments, such as wishing certain people "get it first" because they don't happen to like them, that I saw on a recent post. Duncan tried to help someone. And no good deed goes unpunished when people have the opportunity to vent their spleen, anonymously, on line. Thank you for taking the high road.

I agree, it was a fine eulogy. 
CRS, DrPH
Phylica View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phylica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 5:29pm
Just read an article called Life in quarantine for ebola:21 days of fear and loathing by New York Times. The family states they never touch him and only handed a tea and thermometer. They had no contact with him prior to calling the ambulance . He was sick and no one touched him is the way it sounds from their description. It is a very good chance they thought he could have ebola in the house. Duncan look cozy at the airport with some lady in a picture on the Internet. Hopefully, the chain will be broken and no one else will get sick. Hope the 21 days is enough.
Kay View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 10:48pm
Didnt post article but if you read the nephew says first Duncan is returning then later says it's Duncans first trip to the states. Anyway sounds like the hospital is getting all the blame.

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinion/commentary/20141020-josephus-weeks-ebola-didnt-have-to-kill-my-uncle.ece
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 3:19am
Looks like nina phams boy friend may now have it, and Duncans family are all supposedly A-Ok???? There is something wrong with this picture!

Breaking: Boyfriend Of Nurse With Ebola May Also Have …
Breaking: Ebola May Have Just Spread To An American Who Doesn’t Even Work In A Hospital
www.westernjournalism.com › Norvell Rose

... here comes breaking news out of Dallas that does ... as the boyfriend of Nina Pham, ... has been admitted to the hospital for exhibiting symptoms …
BREAKING: Ebola Nurse’s Boyfriend Placed in …
tellmenow.com

... Ebola Nurse’s Boyfriend Placed in Quarantine, Exhibiting ... Nina Pham has been hospitalized for symptoms ... reporting that Pham’s boyfriend ...
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 3:33am
I WONDER IF THEY ARE SEROPOSITIVE ???????

There are quite a few studies suggesting widespread asymptomatic infections including one that found 46% of asymptomatic close contacts of patients with Ebola were seropositive. Meaning they had been infected but did not develop symptoms.

The Lancet, Early Online Publication, 16 October 2014
doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61839-0

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.

Ebola control: effect of asymptomatic infection and acquired immunity.

Steve E Bellan aEmail Address, Juliet R C Pulliam c d, Jonathan Dushoff e, Lauren Ancel Meyers

Abstract
Evidence suggests that many Ebola infections are asymptomatic, a factor overlooked by recent outbreak summaries and projections. Particularly, results from one post-Ebola outbreak serosurvey showed that 71% of seropositive individuals did not have the disease; another study reported that 46% of asymptomatic close contacts of patients with Ebola were seropositive. Although asymptomatic infections are unlikely to be infectious, they might confer protective immunity and thus have important epidemiological consequences. (Such individuals may also be a source of protective antibodies/ serum donors, and or potential to be additional healthcare assistants)

Asymptomatic infection contributes to herd immunity and thereby dampens epidemic spread.

Full text of the article link below.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)61839-0/fulltext
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 4:07am
That's scary!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Anything View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anything Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 4:12am
Yet more evidence that Ebola kills indirectly, via an immune system overreaction, commonly called a 'cytokine storm'.  90% of people infected with TB don't have symptoms. In the other 10%, it's the cytokine storm that causes the damage.

Same thing with the Spanish flu. It wasn't a big deal for most of those who caught it. Just a small minority who were genetically prone to cytokine storm. 
7laws View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7laws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 4:30am
I would think that there are people who get the virus but don't get sick. When my family gets sick I am always healthy. Everything seems to just bounce off me. When the swine flu came thru my wife, her friend and I got it. Her friend become very sick, my wife seemed to have strong flu and I hardly had anything but a touch of it and then it was gone. I am sure some people walk around with it but do t get sick.
Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 4:36am
I agree 7, as like with the flu, not everyone will get it.  Plus we have no idea about the precautions the family took knowing he probably had it - and whole real story.   You would think a personal contact of Duncan's should still show symptoms, but who knows.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 5:25am
Well what are the options... we know the family was in the apartment with him.  Someone drove him to the ER the first time.  So, either they all knew & as many have said took precautions (although funny how they couldn't have been as prepared as Nina & she still got it) OR... is it possible that for some reason in those early days his viral load was not enough to infect the rest of the family???  OR... one or all of them have it & they are just asymptomatic (which I doubt because they supposedly had blood work done while in isolation).

So besides those what else could have kept them from getting it?
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 6:12am
Jen it depends on what blood work was done.

1) Test 1 = Viral PCR:

If they were using the standard test that has been applied throughout this Ebola outbreak then they would only be testing for the presence of viral genetic material in blood. This is done by PCR i.e. gives the standard negative/positive test results. Heres the thing, it will only be positive if the virus is detected at certain levels, however asymptomatic patients may have little or short term viral loads not easy to detect. So in theory asymptomatic patients may be negative by viral PCR blood test.

Test 2 = detecting antibodies against the virus ( rather that virus itself) test is called an ELISA test.

This test would be to determine if the patients are seropositive (as proof of exposure by the generation of antibodies to the virus, rather thsn the virus itself ), this would be looking for an antibody class called IgM initially around Day 10 to day 21. I doubt IgG (a later antibody class) would be generated at this point.

I don't know if they have good human IgM testing as epitopes ( bit of the virus that antibody binds to),for IgM class of antibody are not always specific enough. Detecting IgG ELISA tends to be more specific, more accurate but IgG is made later in responses.

I think they are testing other survivers for IgG titres to Ebola antigens, but they don't know enough to even guarantee that they are now immune to reinfection.   This makes me think the antibody testing isn't the greatest.....could be wrong.

Also think test 2 ( ELISA test) is more of an experimental protocol so would require written permission from those being tested. Not sure if current court order covers just basic positive/negative PCR testing only. Depends on what testing family agree to.

Immunity after exposure is not a given, depends on immunostatus of host, and pathogenic agent. Tetanus agent gives 10 year protection, however Norovirus only 11 weeks. All immunological memory responses ( recall on re-exposure) are not equal.

My opinion anyway.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 6:31am
Well, maybe I left off an option... pure luck, x4 of course since there were four of them living there right?

They are free as of today.
Hazelpad View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazelpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 7:16am

Some people believe in luck or in circumstance. Other people believe in cause and effect.”
( Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I think you are right when you said in another post that there is something other than luck which has caused their strange immunity ( in all of them).    A lot can be learned from them remaining negative, if the family are prepared to be honest about how they dealt with the situation.

If they remained in close contact, cleaned up after him, then what is their blood type, HLA type etc. What can be learned from an infection control point of view, or about infectibility. When he got sent home initially from hospital they probably had a strong idea something was amiss. They were Liberian they would have known what was going on back home, what steps did they take? There is no shame in them protecting themselves.

If they lied ( some papers say that although he had not seen his son since he was 3 years old, and despite being in Dallas and initially well for several days, Mr Duncan still hadn't made attemptsvto meet him ??? ). Did he avoid his son because he had an idea, or was it just circumstances.

I am sure the story will come out eventually. The problem is the family are giving all different accounts probably not helped by the press hounding them. A few days ago in the NYT Mr Duncan's nephew now says he certainly did not help a pregnant woman with Ebola, as was speculated.

Everyone seems to be accusing everyone of something, it is a very strange case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic