Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Major Outbreak in the U.S. or Europe Is Unlikely
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A Major Outbreak in the U.S. or Europe Is Unlikely

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gady71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Major Outbreak in the U.S. or Europe Is Unlikely
    Posted: October 16 2014 at 9:58am
A Major Ebola Outbreak in the U.S. or Europe Is Unlikely, Says WHO

The statement comes as the U.S. moves quickly to contain the disease after the reporting of a third case

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said a widespread outbreak of the Ebola virus, which has killed thousands in the West African countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, will probably not be replicated in the U.S. or Europe thanks to the advanced health care systems in the West.

Christopher Dye, the director of strategy for the WHO, told the BBC that the potential spread of Ebola in the West was a matter “for very serious concern,” but added that an epidemic was improbable.

“We’re confident that in North America and Western Europe, where health systems are very strong, that we’re unlikely to see a major outbreak in any of those places,” Dye said.

The U.S., meanwhile, is dealing with its third Ebola case as Amber Vinson, a nurse who treated the country’s first patient who died earlier this month, was diagnosed with the disease.

It was revealed on Wednesday that Vinson was cleared to get on a plane by a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official just a few days prior, despite having a mild temperature. Officials are attempting to track down and monitor her 131 fellow passengers.

U.S. President Barack Obama, who canceled two consecutive campaign events in order to take firmer action on Ebola, echoed the WHO view in a statement. “The dangers of a serious outbreak are extraordinarily low,” he said, “but we are taking this very seriously at the highest levels of government.”

https://time.com/3512623/major-ebola-outbreak-us-europe-unlikely-who-world-health-organization-disease/
I do apologize for my poor english. Prepare for the Worst and Hope for the Best!
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:08am

no "major outbreaks"

but moderate ones ?

oh I feel so much betterLOL

and this is coming from the guys who ignored all the early warnings coming

out of Africa regarding the current outbreak

I'm sure they'll get it right

EVENTUALLY Tongue

hey guys

wake up

it's called "credibility"

ya ain't got much

sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:43am
unlikely = not probable, but possible.  Unlikely leaves the door open to whatever.   Just sayin'.
Outbreaks in the US or Europe being likely or unlikely depends on the day of the week and the latest in news.  There's really no set answers. 
Be the positive change that you want to see. Live it, be it, push for it.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:47am
Famous last words - and WHO is playing games to ease fears. A similar statement was made about "very unlikely " having a case in the u.s., and a week later we had a case in the u.s.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 11:13am
This is the same attitude they took in West Africa when this thing started and it's why we're where we're at now! The entire world needs to wake up and slam the door on this before it's too late! If Nigeria can do it so can we. What has happened in West Africa in large part is caused by ignorance but what's happening in the U. S. is caused by stupidity!
Buy more ammo!
Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 11:19am
They keep pushing the 60 days too.
I'm wondering if the latest 60 days announcement (which we are obviously well beyond) is their way of prepping us for the P word 58 days from now.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

This is the same attitude they took in West Africa when this thing started and it's why we're where we're at now! The entire world needs to wake up and slam the door on this before it's too late! If Nigeria can do it so can we. What has happened in West Africa in large part is caused by ignorance but what's happening in the U. S. is caused by stupidity!

Clap Well said!

We might actually be able to own some of these statements... "We will stop this in its tracks"  "We are prepared to handle this" ...etc  if they'd get their act together NOW!  And that's the key... if you keep making stupid mistakes & it gets to dozens of cases or a hundred... not good.  As much care that's involved with just one single patient... they won't be able to do it.  You can't fly them all to Emory.  They can't track the contacts of just one man properly, how will they do that for 20 men or women.
sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 12:50pm
Somewhere I read that there are only 3 hospitals in the country prepared for such a deadly disease as ebola and those 3 hospitals only have between them about 20 beds available. I believe that's what I read. The numbers are on this site somewhere, I believe.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 1:03pm
5,700 hospitals in the United States; only four have biohazard isolation units suitable for Ebola patients

http://www.naturalnews.com/047265_Ebola_pandemic_US_hospitals_biohazard_isolation_units.html
Buy more ammo!
n/a View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 1:08pm
TO Moderator "Germ Nerdier"  (or anyone who can answer my question)

What do you mean by your statement in your post at 11:19am: 
"They keep pushing for the 60 days".  I'm wondering if the latest 60 days announcement (which we are obviously well beyond) is their way of prepping us for the P word 58 days from now?

I read the article, but can't find this reference to 60 days in it.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  Do you mean that this is how long the CDC/WHO thinks it will take to incubate ebola before showing symptoms?

Could you expand on your meaning in this statement?
Thank you,
n/a

sleusha View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 1:13pm
n/a -- The term "we have 60 days" is referring to the UN stating that they only have a 60 day plan to get this under control. Beyond 60 days, they do not have a plan so they are pushing for a plan now. That was my understanding.

It's a little unnerving too. Clearly, it doesn't matter where you work or where you are from, people do NOT trust their government, CDC or the WHO. Even people in the government do not trust their peers. I think this has been an awesome learning experience if we can just get past this epidemic.
n/a View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 2:13pm
Sleusha: Thank you.
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 4:56pm
I agree with the WHO assessment. Ebola is not going to become the next great plague or superflu. The Ebola virus is just not built that way. Sure, there may be a few cases outside of Africa here and there, but nothing to cause widespread panic over.

If there is any reason to worry, it'll be due to the uneducated panic of the people, as well as the unprepared.
I'm INTHESTICKS and I approved this message.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:02pm
Sticks,

I'd like to believe that. It is possible. It's also possible that many countries will mishandle it, making it much worse than the WHO prediction.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:03pm
WHO assessments are not known for accuracy.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:11pm
There doesn't seem to be much accuracy from anyone involved with the Ebola crisis. I do think that any widespread Ebola outbreak will be due to mishandling, ineptness on the part of medical authorities, and slow government response.

However, that is not a reason for anyone to express hatred for the President. After all, he is simply going on what the experts tell him (i.e. the CDC, WHO, etc). The President can only make decisions based upon the information that he receives.
nc_girl View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nc_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:12pm
sticks,

It may be only endemic in Africa today but if it gets to other countries and infects people's pets or other animals, which we know it can do, and they are able to transmit it to 'vector animals' like pigs, birds, etc then it very well could become endemic outside Africa as well.

It's happened before with other diseases.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:16pm
Who said anything about Obama?
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Germ Nerdier Germ Nerdier wrote:

Who said anything about Obama?

I mentioned his name because some people here will (and do) link the spread of Ebola with Obama.

But for you, I replaced Obama's name with the generic "President". Happy?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:19pm
Sleusha,

Thank you for answering n/a's question. I didn't see it there.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:25pm
Sticks,
I like Obama and I do NOT want to make this political.
Let's stay on point and keep politics to a minimum.

onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:39pm
The 60 day statement from the UN was their way of saying if Ebola is not brought under control very soon, their models show that ~60 days from now it will be impossible to control by anyone/government and all of the African continent will become infected and it will be impossible to then prevent its escape and spread to the rest of the world. It does have the potential to be a doomsday virus astronomically worse than any flu we've ever known and the UN knows this. 58 days.
"And then there were none."
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:43pm
Is there a reason no other Nations in Africa have had cases?  I mean we almost expect it here in North America but no one has said anything about the rest of Africa until I just read it in onflu's post above me??  Why hasn't it spread more there?

Who is that member that we have that lives in East Africa & loves to golf, lol.  Would love to hear his perspective on what they are thinking as far as it coming their way.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:48pm
I don't particularly like Mr Obama. Sometimes I think he's an Al Queda infiltrator. Other times I think it's all overblown and he's nitpicked to death the way Bill Clinton was. And in this case I think he's no more responsible for Ebolas natural growth than Bush was for Katrina. As Forest Gump said "$h1t Happens". We just hope it doesn't happen on our watch.
"And then there were none."
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 5:53pm
I agree, unlike many of my fellow Conservative I refuse to blame Obama for everything Ebola.  The CDC should be competent enough to do this right.  As a matter of fact that's what Frieden said day one, very first press conference.... "This is what we do."  Well do it then!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic