Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Military Advisor Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nergal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Advisor Group
    Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:37pm
I have been irritating people here for the last couple of days but I would like to get serious about something now.  I think websites like this one need experience ex-military or at least someone that has worked for the government with real time training.  I am not talking about the weekend warrior either.  I mean someone that has actual active duty experience.  I better use paragraphs and proper grammar or the grammar police here are going to cite me again. 

I can not take a website like this very seriously if there is no prior military experience.  Quarantine and the military are hand in glove.  Look at President Obama and his response the West Africa outbreak.  He claims he is sending troops to "deal" with the situation and no, I will not provide links.  I expect adults go do their own research.  If you think no links=shady doings then ok, think whatever you like.  The members of this site have failed to earn my respect. 

As a result I will never cooperate with a place like this and the information I have found here is laughable at best.  All of you have proven that you love the fear, you love the idea of a killer virus and most of all you think your lives mean something.  We are numbers.  Pure and simple.  It is all about the numbers.  I tried very hard to take this website seriously but if you fail to recognize certain truths the God help us all. 

This website is so screwed up that I think the little bubble you have created here has already burst and you keep trying to fill it back up.  Avian flu didn't work out so maybe this Ebola thing will.  Then all of your fantasies about a killer virus will come true.
Prairie One View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairie One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:46pm
Cuckoo.
Interested....
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 3:46pm
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
See you can use paragraphs.  I will bet it did not even hurt.

Insults aside, you have made three erroneous assumptions.  Think again, or better still actually read some of the posts over the last few years.  Said posts will put you straight on 2 out of the three.  The last one you will have to work out for yourself.

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:39pm
   Much easier to read Nergal, Thank you for the paragraphs. Now that we got past that, we can continue to more relevant issues.

To your first paragraph i would say: I don't think you have been irritating people too much, rather I would suggest you might be too focused on only one end of the stick. Fixation on the darker side of consequences or potential militaristic alternative to the unknown lead to awkward conclusions by those reading your thoughts.

To your second paragraph: We rely on links, vetting and confirmation of stories to add or take away the credibility of news, does it have to be to the extreme? No. If you post bogus untrue, fantasy, false or fake news, or make claims that cannot be verified, then I don't think you have to worry about anyone here being too much worried about earning/ losing your respect.

To the third: No one with a speck of sanity loves fear in these matters, the idea of self preservation, and that of our loved ones causes most here to be incredibly sane. For the most part, this site, and the people here, offer much much more help/ ideas and information into whats most important: Preparedness, personal, family, safety, and intellectual preparedness.

Overall, I do not think most come here to learn military tactics, what caliber and how many rounds it takes to stop an intruder, or preserve their night vision or even dispose of a carcass....this is not a paramilitary site.

If you read the member posts long enough, you will find many here do in fact have military experience, and come here for the additional information that can augment what they already know.....there is a concept called the sward and the pen.

On a side note, as you should already know, those in the know don't need to flaunt what they know, if you do not know that, then you really don't know.......
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 4:48pm
Okay, best post yet - and the paragraphs are appreciated. I managed to read the whole thing before my eyes rolled back in my head.
I'll help him out, Techno. We have many active and retired military here. They post regularly, and you would know that if your participation in the forum wasn't so one sided.
Avian Flu didn't work out? We don't need experts that can't see a potential threat when it's staring them in the face. Influenza will always be the most likely candidate to unleash a major pandemic on us. Prepping 101 there, Nergal. And it doesn't go away as you seem to think.
And don't think you're getting a pass on Janet Napolitano. Anyone who's intel is more than a year out of date has limited value on a site that needs to stay current to be on top of things.
We need you? Please.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 5:32pm
Last bit of false assumption:

We do not love the fear.  What fear?  Fear is for those caught unaware with no recourse.  Very, very few of the people here fear ebola.  A fractionally larger number fear flu.

I don't know why I'm even telling you this, because those who get, it get it and those who don't never will.  But being prepared does not mean we think the next big one is tomorrow or even this decade, probably not in my lifetime or that of my children, but it will happen one day.  That is the irrefutable lesson of history.  Prepping means being ready if it goes wrong.  Not living in terror that it will go wrong tomorrow. 
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
WillobyBrat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote WillobyBrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Nergal Nergal wrote:

I doubt there is one real warrior amongst you with enough knowledge to be truly dangerous.
Angry
Hi Nergal,

So I guess you are a real warrior.  My family has been involved in the military aspects of our nation since they came over on a day trip from France.  You know the scene, get off the boat, bit of scrap with the natives, end up in a free for all.  All we got out of that was a tapestry to stick on the wall that was too long for any sensible hall. (That was around 1066 and Sir John Bartram never went home, he just put it about a bit with the local women and after nearly a thousand years my family is still playing warriors.)

Hell!  I forgot!  Your nation hasn't been around that long.  But of course, you have one advantage, we breed our warriors, generation upon generation, but you can make them in 90 days.

I have an idea for you Nergal, why don't you stop trading insults, look, read and think.  You might actually learn something from some of the fine men and women that spend their time and effort on this site to keep ungrateful people like you informed.

Grow up Nergal.  When you have been around long enough and seen enough you will know what it takes to survive, usually its just friends.

Hi folks, I'm back.  Big smile
I like Ike
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:21am
I'm not sure we need a military group at this stage, but we have people here from all areas.  If the crud ever hits the fan as they say,  then we'll see. 

Also Nergal - relax my friend.  There are no other forums/sites currently around dealing with this other than AFT and ebolainfo.org.   It's what we do around here as nobody else (other sites) currently are, including the highly trained military folk.  We have them on here, trust me.  Anyway - you can participate and we can collectively work on ideas, or not.  It's up to you.  
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 3:49pm
WillobyBrat.that sounds so much like my family that it is scary. Except that my people were British and the ones who immigrated to this country just continued the family tradition.Until the Revolutionary War. They continued to fought,but they were all  Rebels and fought against the British.Johnray1                  P.S. One family rumor is that my ancestors had to watch part of their family being hung and then the rest were exported to this country.The cost of their boat fare was free.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 4:08pm
Good enough for you?  US Army National Guard CBRN troops, full-scale bioterrorism exercise, 2010.  This gear goes beyond what CDC recommends for Ebola virus.

CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 4:25pm
Welcome back, WillobyBrat Thumbs Up
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Welcome back, WillobyBrat Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 6:44pm
Nergal, I really don't know how we all got along for so long without you! lol.

As for me, I really don't need your military advice thanks. With the razor wire embankments around our boundaries, the dug outs every 50m and the machine gun towers on the corners of our farm, I feel we're probably doing alright. And don't get me started on the heaps of grenades stored under our sitting room furniture, or the racks of sniper rifles in the back of our wardrobes......
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 9:00pm
I grew up in a military family! Some Army but mostly Navy. Someone from my family has fought in almost every U. S. war. My father fought in Africa, Italy and Europe! My mother's brothers fought in Europe and the Pacific and then again in Korea! Us younger ones served during the Berlin crisis and Nam. What I've found over the years is the true hero's speak the least about it! Those that speak the loudest about it most times weren't even there!   
Buy more ammo!
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 9:56pm
arirish,Albert,jacksdad,WillobyBrat and all.Do not let person called Nergal goat you into telling your military experience and how extensive it is or how non extensive it is. He is trying to find this out .That is why he asked the question about military experience,the way he did, to start with. He has probably got very little experience ,if any.

The other thing to remember is that a 10 or 12 year person can kill the best trained and most experienced soldier in the world.-----Let this Nergal just keep fishing. He may end up telling us what his experience level is, still trying to get us to say something. But if he comes out talking about any more than maybe basic training,he is probably lieing.Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:18pm
DrPH cool gear. Do you have a suggestion on a full face respirator for my son and I? What cartridge do I use for both flu and Ebola?
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

DrPH cool gear. Do you have a suggestion on a full face respirator for my son and I? What cartridge do I use for both flu and Ebola?

Thanks, that is the best kit available.  Our troops are CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear) warfare trained.  

For civilians, I don't believe that facemasks will ever be of much use.  During a nasty respiratory pandemic (Ebola is NOT a respiratory agent), the best strategy, always, is shelter-in-place.  Have your supplies available so you don't need to go scrounging around.   

The problem with respiratory gear, as our poor Dallas nurses discovered, is removing it once contaminated.  In the case of Ebola, paper masks, even N95 versions, don't do much.  They are easy to inhale around, and removing them if you have been in a pathogen-rich environment puts you at risk of hand and face contamination.  

Personally, I don't have one mask in my house.  If TSHTF, and I have to mobilize, I'll have anything I need.  However, smart people wouldn't want to do what I would do. 

Be safe, FluMom, and get your seasonal flu vaccine!!  H1N1 has reassorted a bit, it will be a problem for a lot of folks: 

Study: Middle-aged adults susceptible to recent flu virus mutation

A recent mutation in the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus may have been behind high infection rates in middle-aged adults during the 2013-14 flu season, according to a new Wistar Institute study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS).

The 2009 H1N1 strain, which now circulates seasonally, recently acquired a mutation to the section of hemagglutinin (HA) known as K166. The study found that more than 42% of US patients tested (54 patients) who were born from 1965 to 1979 possess antibodies that respond to the K166 region of HA, compared with 27% in those born from 1940 to 1984 and no detectable antibodies in the 49 people tested who were born from 1985 to 1997.

The K166-specific antibodies were unable to recognize or mount an immune system response to the strain containing the mutated region, the authors noted.

Study coordinators suggested that these results should be used to select viral strains for inclusion in seasonal influenza vaccines. Rather than relying exclusively on surveillance of circulating strains, vaccine developers should also match viral antigens to specific HA regions.

Antibodies to influenza are formed during an individual's first encounter with a flu virus, which partly explains why different age-groups have different immune system responses to circulating strains, according to a Wistar press release.

CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 1:23am
Thanks for the reminder, Chuck. We've been dealing with a few minor dramas and forgot to get our shots.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 5:40am
Thanks for that article Chuck, very interesting! 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:32am
I wouldn't say most people in the military know that much about survival. Unless your are in a special unit that trains for that type stuff. My ex was in the Navy, he was a cook and he wouldn't know the first thing about survival, they don't teach that stuff to everyone. My son-in-law is in the military and he's a teacher. So just cause your military or ex-military doesn't give you an advantage. Yes, there are many military that do have the training, just as there are many civilians that homestead, gun owners, etc. I feel like we have a unique group here, everyone shares what they know to help the others!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:41am
Well said, Penham. That makes a lot of sense.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 6:37am
What is the military?

Never heard of such a thing in my life.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic