Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WHO's latest numbers show significant slowing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHO's latest numbers show significant slowing
    Posted: October 25 2014 at 4:05pm
WHO's latest numbers show significant slowing from trend. Good news

Figures from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_epidemic_in_West_Africa 

Defcon 5 may not be needed :)
Schrödinger's Cat View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrödinger's Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 4:34pm
I'm not sure if that trend  means cases are actually slowing down, or if the reports indicating they've reached a point that reporting  is almost worthless - they just simply can't keep up with reporting.  That's been widely reported for months, and as cases continue to grow exponentially, I would guess, reporting capability would also reach a peak at some point - I wonder if that's what we're seeing.    I hope that's not the situation.

Related article:  http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/10/how-many-ebola-cases-are-there-really

Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 4:42pm
I suspect it is a situation of under reporting.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 4:51pm
The article I posted of the latest WHO numbers said the new numbers don't reflect a single Liberian case.
"And then there were none."
sms View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 5:17pm
I am not putting much into there numbers any more its pass that point. I am watching for it to get out of West Africa and get a foot hold in China or India or maybe Egypt. At that point it will be totally out of control. Even if the US does keep it contain here at home the fear factor will start to crash the worlds economy and that wont be a good thing for us here in the US. But then again maybe they will keep it in west Africa and we will get threw this OK. JUST MAYBE
Kyle View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 5:29pm
I don't think it's slowing down nearly as much as what the WHO is saying. I read somewhere that a LOT of people who do have Ebola are starting to avoid the treatment facilities because they don't want themselves or their loved ones to be cremated, they want a proper burial. Being at a treatment facility, you may never see them again. 
Loribearme View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loribearme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 7:18pm
If the situation was in the USA people would be very scared of going to hospital knowing you could be sent to a FEMA camp.  This is why we have those FEMA camps and black coffins. 

Anyone wonder how they can really keep those tents clean and those gloves and boots they seem to reuse and anyone wonder if the virus has developed evolved and mutated so that it can live through other reservoirs the water wells, the crops, the cooking, laundry and sewers....and is a real pandemic about to come about, making the ebola mix with the seasonal flu to make it even more lethal.

Germ Nerdier View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germ Nerdier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 7:41pm
Loribearme,

I would love for someone to describe what an Ebola/Influenza co-infection would look like.
Would someone still be able to contract just the flu part, or would Ebola be a certainty in the respiratory transmission of the Influenza? How would it translate in an immune response?

As for the rest of your post, yikes! Your musings would scare Stephen King.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 1:48am
I would love to believe the latest WHO-Ebola numbers but when I think of what has to be the bases for those numbers I have serious doubts. Those numbers should be based on "boots on the ground"in west Africa. But those organizations are overwhelmed by demand and must be loosing count of many cases. 
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 2:18am
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

The article I posted of the latest WHO numbers said the new numbers don't reflect a single Liberian case.

+ 1 -- That was my view on looking at the detailed WHO figures.

Also the official figures from some of the countries show huge problems, like Liberia reporting 965 confirmed cases of Ebola, but 1241 deaths that are confirmed Ebola.  Every confirmed death should be a confirmed case. 

I know the body can shed Ebola virus after death, but the Liberian figures imply that they have had nearly 300 people acquiring Ebola after death ConfusedConfusedConfused

BUT thanks for the graphic update Cobber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic