Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Ebola can survive on surfaces for 50 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola can survive on surfaces for 50 days
    Posted: October 27 2014 at 6:41pm
Ebola can survive on surfaces for almost TWO MONTHS: Tests reveal certain strains survive for weeks when stored at low temperatures
Research claims certain strains of Ebola can remain on surfaces for 50 days
It survived the longest on glass surfaces stored at 4° (39°F)
Centres for Disease Control and Prevention claims Ebola typically lives on a ‘dry’ surface for hours - including doorknobs and tables
But when stored in moist conditions such in mucus, this is extended
Survival time depends on the surface, and the room temperature
Virus can be killed using household bleach and people must come into direct contact with the sample to risk infection

By Mark Prigg and Victoria Woollaston for MailOnline

Published: 11:50 EST, 27 October 2014 | Updated: 15:14 EST, 27 October 2014

The number of confirmed Ebola cases passed the 10,000 mark over the weekend, despite efforts to curb its spread.

And while the disease typically dies on surfaces within hours, research has discovered it can survive for more than seven weeks under certain conditions.

During tests, the UK’s Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) found that the Zaire strain will live on samples stored on glass at low temperatures for as long as 50 days.

The left-hand charts plot survival rates of Zaire strain of Ebola (Zebov) and Lake Victoria marburgvirus (Marv) on glass (a) and plastic (b) at 4° (39°F) over 14 days. The right-hand charts reveal the survival rate under the same conditions over 50 days. Both viruses survived for 26 days, and Ebola was extracted after 50 days

The left-hand charts plot survival rates of Zaire strain of Ebola (Zebov) and Lake Victoria marburgvirus (Marv) on glass (a) and plastic (b) at 4° (39°F) over 14 days. The right-hand charts reveal the survival rate under the same conditions over 50 days. Both viruses survived for 26 days, and Ebola was extracted after 50 days

The tests were initially carried out by researchers from DSTL before the current outbreak, in 2010, but the strain investigated is one of five that is still infecting people globally.

The findings are also quoted in advice from the Public Agency of Health in Canada.

Ebola was discovered in 1976 and is a member of the Filoviridae family.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809803/Ebola-surfaces-TWO-months-Tests-reveal-certain-strains-survive-weeks-stored-low-temperatures.html#ixzz3HOqAack0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edit: spacing oneflu
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 11:41am
We've been saying this for a long long time.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

We've been saying this for a long long time.

Temperature is only part of the equation....Ebola is a rather fragile virus, and it is very susceptible to UV from sunlight, desiccation, and bacterial enzymatic degradation.  This is in contrast to bacterial spores like Anthrax, which can remain viable for many years in soil.  

Something that enhances the viability of Ebola virus is encapsulation in dried bodily fluids, especially blood, mucuous & feces.  However, even within these matricies, they tend to degrade relatively quickly.  

Based on what we are seeing in the aftermath of Patrick Sawyer, Thomas Eric Duncan and other cases, I'm not terribly worried about environmental transmission of this pathogen. 
CRS, DrPH
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 12:21pm
I agree Chuck.  I too am not overly worried about it.  It's just yet another unknown about this virus that we're soon to find out about, and hopefully not the hard way.  Health officials are foolishly gambling by testing the theory and letting the W. Africa folk vacation over here still. Gambling with a potential pandemic if the studies are correct.  I really don't even want to know the answer to this one.   I have a feeling it could get ugly soon with imported cases increasing.

I will never understand why they're not stopping those flights with this enormous unknown.   Somebody is about to make a very bad mistake in my opinion.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

I agree Chuck.  I too am not overly worried about it.  It's just yet another unknown about this virus that we're soon to find out about, and hopefully not the hard way.  Health officials are foolishly gambling by testing the theory and letting the W. Africa folk vacation over here still. Gambling with a potential pandemic if the studies are correct.  I really don't even want to know the answer to this one.   I have a feeling it could get ugly soon with imported cases increasing.

I will never understand why they're not stopping those flights with this enormous unknown.   Somebody is about to make a very bad mistake in my opinion.

Thanks, Albert!  

Dr. Hatfill has some great comments about Ebola and other emerging viral diseases, this article is a must-read for all of us! 

CRS, DrPH
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 7:33pm
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 4:01am
Hi Elver, I don't believe that would ever happen.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 5:15am
Fox News Obtains Memo Detailing How Ebola Patients Could Come to U.S.

Oct 28 2014

Fox News confirms that the State Department is pushing to bring Ebola patients to the United States for medical treatment, even if they’re not citizens

“The Kelly File” first broke this story last night, when House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte discussed increasing evidence that the plan is being considered. He said he received confidential communication which shows the plan in development.

Fox News has now obtained the same memo, which was written by a member of the State Department’s Ebola Coordination Unit and approved by Nancy J. Powell.

It reads, “The United States needs to show leadership and act as we are asking others to act by admitting certain non-citizens into the country for medical treatment for the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) during the Ebola crisis.”

The “purpose” of the memo says, “Come to an agreed State Department position on the extent to which non-U.S. citizens will be admitted to the United States for treatment of Ebola Virus Disease.”

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest today said, “I don’t know of any plans to do that.”

"There are absolutely no plans to MEDEVAC non-Americans who become ill from West Africa to the United States," a State Department official told FoxNews.com.

Watch Mike Emanuel’s report above.

Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 5:18am
Sorry I didn't see that you'd already posted it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic