Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Another NH Flu season over with

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member
Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt-3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another NH Flu season over with
    Posted: April 14 2015 at 11:53pm
But the NH has big problems with flu  in Egypt and China.

H5N1 is the closest to humans now but H7N9 is catching up.

Flu is a killer and on the way

October is the Danger Zone again
LCfromFL View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCfromFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 2:53pm
Isn't there an influenza b strain still floating around the NH? I think I may have the flu - horrible cough, body aches, fever (101.1) and headache. My nephew (23 yo) is sick and on my couch - same symptoms. Heading to the Minute Clinic in the morning and will ask for a rapid flu test (assuming it covers a and b). I did get the flu vaccine right after they became available in 2014 for this season's flu.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 3:35pm
Sorry to say but my opinion is that that vaccine is like having only one window in your car on a rainy day... and since they've now said the vaccine was only 2% effective (two percent), may as well say ...on the freeway.

But hoping you and yours get better soon anyway.
"And then there were none."
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by LCfromFL LCfromFL wrote:

Isn't there an influenza b strain still floating around the NH? I think I may have the flu - horrible cough, body aches, fever (101.1) and headache. My nephew (23 yo) is sick and on my couch - same symptoms. Heading to the Minute Clinic in the morning and will ask for a rapid flu test (assuming it covers a and b). I did get the flu vaccine right after they became available in 2014 for this season's flu.

Sayeth the CDC:

H3N2 viruses predominated earlier in the season, however, influenza B viruses have been more common in recent weeks. This season has been severe for people 65 years and older, with very high hospitalization rates being recorded.
CRS, DrPH
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 5:17am
Cool analogy oneflu.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 10:03pm
Also in the USA the pediatric deaths due to flu are a little above the average (133 deaths vs an average of 117), but seem to be well within what might call a normal distribution. 

The figures published by CDC are often quite late (local authorities can be very slow in testing and reporting to CDC) so the figure is likely to go up some what.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic