Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Minnesota State Fair cancels poultry shows due to
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Minnesota State Fair cancels poultry shows due to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minnesota State Fair cancels poultry shows due to
    Posted: May 15 2015 at 10:28am
Minnesota State Fair cancels poultry shows due to bird flu

The Associated Press May 15, 2015

ST. PAUL, Minn. — All poultry shows have been canceled at the Minnesota State Fair and county fairs across the state this year as authorities try to stop the spread of bird flu, the Minnesota Board of Animal Health announced Friday.

The board has also prohibited birds from being included in swap meets, exotic animal sales and petting zoos.

"We need to do everything possible to get rid of this virus and preventing the commingling of birds from different farms is one way to do that," Dr. Beth Thompson, the board's assistant director, said in a statement.

As of Thursday, 87 Minnesota turkey and chicken farms had been affected by confirmed or presumed outbreaks of the H5N2 avian influenza virus, which has cost the state's producers around 5.8 million birds.

"This is a critical time for Minnesota's poultry industry, and we'll do whatever it takes to help. ... We'll use this as an opportunity to further educate people about the challenges of food production," State Fair General Manager Jerry Hammer said in the statement.

Brad Rugg, who runs 4-H programs for University of Minnesota Extension, said young people will be disappointed that they won't be able to show their poultry projects at fairs this summer, but that 4-H will explore alternate learning opportunities.

"Part of our job developing the next generation of agriculture leaders includes teaching youth best practices to ensure the health and safety of the animals they raise, and this is that learning being put into action in the real world," Rugg said.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/05/15/3804247/minnesota-state-fair-cancels-poultry.html
Buy more ammo!
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 10:34am

All States should do this until this thing is stopped! The thought of Chickens and Hogs from all over the state being transported and penned up in tight quarters should at least worry if not scare the "H" out of everybody!
Buy more ammo!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2015 at 11:22am
Originally posted by arirish arirish wrote:

All States should do this until this thing is stopped! The thought of Chickens and Hogs from all over the state being transported and penned up in tight quarters should at least worry if not scare the "H" out of everybody!

Absolutely.  We had some cases of a novel swine flu traced back to shows in the past as I recall. 
CRS, DrPH
newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 9:41am
Sorry guys, but knowing what 'show people' are like -I've shown dogs & horses in past (can't be bothered to now)and knowing bird, rabbit, pig, cattle ppl are all the same... They won't put vanity aside and stop showing till this is on 'their' doorstep and they have to (or risk losing all their own stock). So unless govt steps up and says - 'virtual shows only' ie. no shows involving transport or comingling...they (the shows) will continue. It's unfortunate but reality.
I wish the 4H counsel would consider a Virtual Show for their members - I know it's not ideal (for judges), but better then nothing and actually less expensive then cages, travelling etc etc. Just a thought.

I was horrified this spring that all the odd & unusual auction sales were continuing as normal - selling birds like crazy...right during flight/migration time. I wouldn't even attend for fear of bringing something home on my shoes! Anyway - I agree they need to be cancelled, just don't think it will happen until 'too late'...can't break down economy you know!

Cherish each moment
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2015 at 1:02pm
Buy more ammo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic