Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

June prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: June prepping
    Posted: June 01 2015 at 5:37pm
So it's June already! We have had a lot of flooding here in Oklahoma over the past 3 weeks which has made me refocus on things. We have had to stay at home for several days at a time due to streets being flooded, making me focus on what I didn't have at home. So I have been focusing on drinking water, paper products, mosquito repellant. Since we are also in the midst of tornado season and we have been getting hit hard, I have also restocked my flashlights and batteries.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:08pm
I think this month won't be a prepping month for me. I'll be switching apartments soon, so I think it might be easier to focus more on packing this month. Other than that, I am going to be starting Zumba next week and continuing with Archery class :)

When the river overflowed in my hometown in 1997, I saw people using canoes to get around. I hope things are getting better for y'all
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2015 at 9:24pm
Good luck with your move Hachi. I despise moving!
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 7:22pm
I got 2 more 12 packs of the Charmin double rolls this week, some OTC meds, prescription refills, freezer and pantry are packed.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Good luck with your move Hachi. I despise moving!

Thanks, Penham! It really is the worst :/
coyote View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 2:42am
Seriously thinking about hatching out some chicken eggs in my incubator. Due to the Avain flu outbreak and a potential MERS pandemic,it may be a good idea. .
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 8:34am
Someone stole two of my friend's hens, yesterday. I suggested some backyard security. :/
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 12:48pm
We are approaching mid winter here, and my focus is on my vegetable beds. I'm aiming to cover them with a good thick layer of composted cow poo, about 6 inches deep. I've got 3 huge piles of it so need to use it up somewhere. We're still officially in a drought so I'm sure it will improve the soil.

I'm also killing and butchering 2 of the largest pigs we've ever grown so am desperately trying to create some freezer space at the moment. I'll be making bacon, sausages, salamis, faggots and all the rest will be roasts and steaks. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 9:14am
One good thing about all the flooding we had here for 3 weeks, we are officially no longer in a drought, we have been in a drought for 5 years. of course now comes the heat which is ok, we are getting close to the 100's now, not quite there yet but almost.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 9:22am
Send some water this way - we're dying over here Ermm
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 12:57pm
So are we Jacksdad. This time last year we were awash with rain falling 3 or 4 times a week. We hardly have any grass and it's dry. We've lost quite a few trees this year, just from drought. My concern is that we'll get major flooding like we did last year because it'll all fall at once.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 1:27pm
They're forecasting an El Nino event for us this year, so we might get a lot of rain. We need it, but we don't need flooding from torrential downpours either. That just results in most of it being sent to the ocean by the storm drain system, and the resultant pollution and litter going out there with it.
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 11:04am
Well I don't know what's responsible for it but the heat & humidity came fast & hard to TN this year.  About a month and a half early, by mid to late May it started feeling like July around here & hasn't let up yet. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 9:25pm
We had 2 more days of rain this last week from tropical storm Bill coming up from Texas, but at least we didn't have any flooding, we just had the outside of the storm.

As far as prepping goes: I got another 12 pack of TP this week and 6 rolls of paper towels and 2 packages of the florescent light bulbs, as well as replacing all the burned out security flood lights outside.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 9:43pm
TP...I need more TP. I can tell you that is something I don't want to live without! I have only about 200 rolls need to have at least 500 rolls.

Penham I am so glad you avoided the floods. Lord I feel sooo sorry for people who have flood ruin their homes.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 9:55pm
FluMom, you are in much better shape than I am TP wise, I only have 52 double rolls of Charmin. I just started restocking my supply.

Yes, the floods did not affect me directly, it did wash out some bridges and roads near where I live and about 10 or 15 miles from where I live people did lose their homes to flooding. We were very fortunate.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 10:03pm
You know...for years and years in that place I once was...lets just call it college, we were issued two rolls of TP a week. Some of the guys...there were no girls there, would complain about two rolls a week weren't enough. One roll always lasted me a whole month. I had so many extra rolls I once weaved them into a rope and escaped. 30...40 years later my wife and son go through a roll every couple days. I still make mine last up to a month in my bathroom. We've got four or five hundred rolls here. By myself that would last me till I'm 110. If you were closer I'd sneak you a couple bundles. In fact, my wife and kids will be in Lakewood, Conifer in a few days. Maybe I'll send some up. Just teasing you, FM.
"And then there were none."
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 10:59am
TP is tough because it takes up so much space.  I have a little more than Penham but for a family of 4 that's embarrassing.  We easy go through one a day, maybe more.  But where I'm keeping paper products I don't see how I can fit anymore right now.  Really need some storage solutions.

Oneful, I'm worried about your digestive health if you can make a roll last a month, either that or you must have such amazing BM's that you don't need much TP LOL!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:32pm
Using both sides? Confused
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:47pm
TP is literally a pain in the you-know-what when it comes to prepping. A few dozen rolls takes up as much space as a couple of weeks worth of food. Was It KiwiMum that had a solution to that using washable pieces of cloth? Worth thinking about if you're stuck for space. Or baby wipes - they do a good job and take up a lot less space, as well as being a good way to keep clean if showers/baths aren't available. Taking out the cardboard roll helps to reduce space too.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 6:01pm
Well I have 52 DOUBLE rolls, so does that mean I have the equivalent of 110 rolls, lol? for 2 people. Not bad since I just started restocking. I need MORE, MORE, MORE.....
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Using both sides? Confused

Why'd I know that was coming? I suppose, yeah, since I fold it for maybe three uses. I buy for myself the thin tough single ply kind (prison TP) because it doesn't tear as easy as those Charmon pillow puffs and goes 5 times further and costs less. I usually use 5 squares for three uses two or three times a, um, BM. That's about four feet of TP a day, 120 feet a month. I think the rolls I buy are 200 feet long. I also use them for nose tissue though I'm never much of a snot nose. I hate box tissues. Such a ripoff.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 10:24pm
The (cheap)  TP I buy already comes with the cardboard roll squashed flat so it saves some space, but it still takes up a lot of room. 

More saving is from having a shower attachment to the sink by the toilet (I find that this cleans better than wiping the mess around with paperWink).  My wife uses a cloth for wiping when she pees, which also saves a lot of paper.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Well I have 52 DOUBLE rolls, so does that mean I have the equivalent of 110 rolls, lol? for 2 people. Not bad since I just started restocking. I need MORE, MORE, MORE.....

To me "double roll" is just code for... "normal roll, but we like using the word double so you won't feel like we are ripping you off so much, which we totally are".
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 11:39am
Originally posted by onefluover onefluover wrote:

I also use them for nose tissue though I'm never much of a snot nose. I hate box tissues. Such a ripoff.

Funny, I've always seen it in the exact opposite way... my hubby uses TP for nose blowing too, with a box of tissues just 1 foot away & I've always thought, gosh such a waste.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 4:01pm
The type of TP I use goes about five times further than face tissues and costs about .50 cents a roll. Face tissue cost about $2.00 a box. That's a value ratio of about twenty to one. I may be exaggerating a little bit. I'll have to compare at the store next time and get back here. Although I do agree that in most cases the softer tissue is gentler on yer nose when sick. In a survivalist sitiation though I'll hoard the cheap recycled cardboard type every time.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 7:36pm
Yeah, I always use TP for Kleenex too because it's way cheaper than Kleenex. Except for last year I found at a church sale 30 small boxes of cheap Kleenex for 1.00 for all, so I got them all. That was a deal!
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Jen147 Jen147 wrote:

TP is tough because it takes up so much space.  I have a little more than Penham but for a family of 4 that's embarrassing.  We easy go through one a day, maybe more.  But where I'm keeping paper products I don't see how I can fit anymore right now.  Really need some storage solutions.

Oneful, I'm worried about your digestive health if you can make a roll last a month, either that or you must have such amazing BM's that you don't need much TP LOL!

Try thick telephone books as a alternative to TP for prepping. They are free and take up a hell of a lot less space.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 10:17pm
We've got several boxes of the New York Times just for that.
DANNYKELLEY View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNYKELLEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 4:49pm
WHAT TO DO????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic