Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

what do you think the extent of MERS will be?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Mers...
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [4.17%]
3 [6.25%]
11 [22.92%]
7 [14.58%]
1 [2.08%]
1 [2.08%]
23 [47.92%]

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERS Threat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you think the extent of MERS will be?
    Posted: June 03 2015 at 3:57pm
Kay View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 4:10pm
I voted 100,000 it likes warm weather at least it seems.
tiger_deF View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiger_deF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 4:23pm
Update- MERS in SK now has infected 35 people, but no one else has died (thankfully) though 3 patients are in critical condition. This is troubling, due to the fact that according to WHO there has been no "Sustained Human to Human transition"
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 9:11pm
Unless it has mutated, good infection control and quarantine will stop it in it's tracks and since South Korea is actually sharing info on a timely basis we may learn something about this disease!   
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 9:37pm
This could go either way, so I'm still not sure how to vote. Too many unknowns, and too early in the outbreak for me to call it.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 9:49pm
I've also heard that S. Korea is being very transparent.  Ironically, China is the only country saying otherwise.   You won't know how many cases are in China until there are a minimum of 10+, and that won't even be truthful.  Although, China is pretty good with containing outbreaks as they've had quite a bit of practice,  but if this is a SARS repeat, it will spread like wildfire in China before it goes global.  

If we see the numbers shoot up to around 100, it will spread globally.  May already be too late.  It's up to S. Korea and China to stop that right now.   
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 10:22pm
I voted for 1,000 cases.  We know that similar coronaviruses (SARS) can spread like wildfire when they adapt to more efficient H2H transmission, and jet travel is the spark that lights the fire. 

However, we also know that, with either the Western approach (careful hospital infection control, hygiene, contact tracing etc.) or the Eastern approach (crush the disease by force, no matter what the cost is, see PRC), these can be stamped out eventually.  

The key will be poverty - if this thing takes hold in an isolated, impoverished area (say Pakistan), it could spread like crazy.  It could go either way, apparently the MERS virus has been around for ages based upon seroepidemiology studies of humans and camels. 

Don't kiss your camel goodnight, ya'hear? 

CRS, DrPH
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 6:01am
i didnt vote because we are dealing with an unknown quantity,

MERS in saudi arabia is a toally differernt ball game to MERS in a country (korea) with no history of

contact with Camels ,

in Saudi , i would suggest most people would have an in built immunity to MerS ,

any country/ people without that immunity are in alot of trouble 

also its my understanding of MERS  is that it has a long incubation rate so what we are seeing maybe

the tip of a large iceburg....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 6:11am
Something to note is that approx 20% of all MERS cases are asymptomatic, with no symptoms.  Therefore the cases are approx 20% higher.  I would be interested to know if these "silent cases" are infectious at all for a period of time.   Could explain why Saudi Arabia failed to ever contain it.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 6:20am
I voted for slowly dying out.  I am assuming that the poll is for Korea only.  I think it is here to stay in KSA.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 7:52am

I found this on an 2014 ECDC "Factsheet for health professionals". It's one of the only mentions of asymptomatic cases I could find. Notice it says there is no evidence of transmission but with the limited information coming out of the Middle East there's little evidence of anything! Hopefully S. Korea will be more forthcoming with case studies and research.

"The WHO advice on home care for patients with MERS-CoV infection presenting with mild symptoms and management of contacts is targeted towards public health and infection control professionals, health managers and healthcare workers. It states that evidence of transmission from mild cases is limited and that currently there is no evidence of transmission from asymptomatic cases."

http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/healthtopics/coronavirus-infections/mers-factsheet/Pages/default.aspx
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 9:22am
I read one article that mentioned one of the biggest hurdles to dealing with the virus in South Korea was that so little was known about the virus. Thanks Saudi - for shutting out the world's infectious disease experts thinking you could deal with MERS yourself. Well done Thumbs Up
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 9:45am
asymptomatic cases are less infectious simply because they're not coughing all over the place.  I'm sure it can be transmitted via saliva either way during a period of time.  Could be the "kiss of death" in some cases.   
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 6:40am
I'm starting to believe this is just the same ole story, different place!

Slow and/or wrong diagnosis to start with.
Medical personnel not asking travel history.
Slow reaction to correct diagnosis.
Poor infection control.
Travelers lying on questionnaires.
Patients unwilling to follow quarantine protocols. (including medical personnel)
Societal customs. (In Korea it is almost a requirement to visit sick friends and relatives)
Government withholding information, causing fear and panic

We don't seem to learn from our failures. If this was airborne we'd be talking tens of thousands by now! If the index case had not been a super spreader we'd only be seeing a few cases. As it is I think "It will slowly die out over the course of several months".

Buy more ammo!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 8:04am
Albert that is why I no longer date...no kissing...lol! Seriously, the medical people are so far behind my eye doc's secretary asked me if I had visited an Ebola area in the past 30 days.   We are in big trouble if we have a pandemic of any virus! Even our medical community has no idea how bad things can go bad fast except for our resident Dr. C!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 11:35pm
CRS, DrPH
tiger_deF View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiger_deF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 3:00am
At this rate I am starting to think about an epidemic. The cases per day in SK have gone from 2 to 5 to 9. There are be clusters popping up in Seoul and the government seems useless.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 12:27pm
jacksdad, did you ever decide how you were going to vote?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 1:47pm
Not yet, Jen - but I think the next week will give us a better understanding. The recent quarantines should stop the spread if it hasn't already made it out into the general population. If the rate of new infections continues at it's current pace or higher, it probably means they never had it under control despite the measures taken. This is still a fairly new outbreak too, so the numbers probably won't make sense for a while. Still hoping it goes away on it's own and we can put it down to super-spreaders and not a mutation.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 1:57pm
I know I was quick to dismiss Ebola, but something about this outbreak makes me a lot more apprehensive. South Korea's first world healthcare system should have easily handled the infection control issues that plagued the KSA, and yet it's managed to spread incredibly quickly in the space of a month from one initial case. And while it's not moving like SARS, it is a much nastier virus out of the gate.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 3:09pm
You were right to wait to vote JD.  If I could go back and vote again I would choose options 3 or even 4.  .................So much for my guesswork. Wacko
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 4:29pm
I voted massive pandemic because MERS has most if not all the right ingredients to act as any seasonal flu or common cold that encircles the globe now that it's proven to have broken free of camels. It is not well understood and there is no vaccine and may never be one.

Working in an infection control/cross contaminant pathogen environment for decades, I know that for the most part it is silly to think we can really stop these kinds of airborne infections once it has made it past a certain point. Theoretically we can but in the real world, both third and first, we are far, far from perfect.

Ebola didn't explode in the America's more because JacksDad was right about it preferring conditions over there as opposed to here (US). Albert said earlier basically that SARS faded more due to climate than the worlds efforts.

Don't get me wrong. We are an apt world. We have a chance and our efforts can be effective but every hour that passes of the initial outbreaks with exponential infections we are loosing that ability exponentially. This virus though related to SARS, is not SARS... How it acts in a different part of the world from Arabia we won't know until something like South Korea happens.

What I am learning so far is not at all reassuring.
"And then there were none."
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 4:33pm
I voted 10,000 and epidemic.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 4:36pm
...I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "North Korean Death Star" yet. 

The place is so insular, we wouldn't know if a MERS epidemic was brewing or not.  

On the one hand, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (NK) would probably just slaughter cases, contacts etc.  On the other, we don't know how porous their borders are with South Korea and/or China.  

Worth watching for.
CRS, DrPH
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 4:58pm
North Korea crossed my mind too Chuck, for a number of reasons.

On another note, I hope N. Korea wasn't messing with genetically engineering anything.   Big smile

Cases are exploding.... Almost wondering what sequenced samples China actually deposited in the genbank to show no mutation.  Better double check those labels.

Just having some fun with my tinfoil hat.  

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 5:16pm
I saw a picture in the New York Times of all the North Korean defectors sneaking back in.
doug View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 3:42pm
why wasn't there a "kill the planet" option for voting?  They call me captain optimism!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 3:44pm
LOL

Welcome to the club Doug.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 7:07pm
Option 7 is kill the planet. And here's one more reason why I worry:

Superbugs 'spread by hospital wet wipes'
9 hours ago
From the section Wales

MRSA bacteria can cause skin, blood, lung and heart infections
Researchers at Cardiff University have claimed the use of wet wipes can spread hospital superbugs.
Scientists from the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science tested seven detergent wipes used in hospitals across the UK on three common infections.
They showed "huge variability" in their ability to kill the disease-causing bacteria.
In every case, the wipes spread the superbugs from one surface to another.
The study, published in the American Journal of Infection Control, carried out a 10-second wiping procedure to test the wipes' effectiveness on MRSA, Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) and Acinetobacter, which can all cause life-threatening illnesses.
They were very inconsistent in their ability to remove spores of the bacteria from hospital surfaces, and they all spread significant amounts of bacteria over three consecutive surfaces.

Infection with Clostridium difficile bacteria can lead to life-threatening complications
In 2012, there were 1,646 deaths involving C. difficile infection in England and Wales and 292 deaths related to MRSA.
Study author Prof Jean-Yves Maillard said: "Wet wipes are generally good products, but the efficacy of these products can be improved. Hospital staff must be educated to ensure these products are used properly and will not cause an unnecessary risk to staff and patients - a single wipe should not be used on multiple surfaces."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-33054489

carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 4:08am
i agree with with the Doc. its more likley  to have come from north as i believe they would be having 

alot  of contact with the middle east ,

who do you think is buying oil from ISIS

not  rocket surgery is it ?????
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 4:10am
option 7 should read 100 million 

Marcus Aurelius
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 4:25am
Another thing to note, is that the fist patient (patient zero) who brought MERS to South Korea infected a family member at home.  According to officials all cases originated at hospitals.   That part is an ongoing lie.. 

Numerous family members have been infected, but of course the S. Korean government says they all contracted it while visiting the relative at the hospital.  It makes a little more sense that they probably contracted it at home prior to the hospital.   I'm guessing a lot of those families quarantined at home may start showing symptoms over the next couple days, if not right now. 
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 7:55am
As I stated in an earlier post, in Korean society it is a social obligation to visit family members, friends and even co-workers if they are hospitalized. And they don't just pop in and out to say howdy! They bring gifts of food or drink and stay for long periods of time! If you visit a family member at home or work or in hospital and they give you the flu you still have the flu and they gave it to you!
Buy more ammo!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 8:01am
Despite what the President of S. Korea says, I still think there will be an explosion of cases in the community.  It only makes sense that all of those family members would first start experiencing symptoms after returning home, and while in their homes.  Hence; possibly infecting the children and causing school closures.  The virus also sticks to doorknobs and can spread through air conditioning, at home.  They may contract it at the hospitals during their long visits, but they will also bring it home.  
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 1:43pm
Not to mention Trains, Subways, Trams, Buses and Taxis!
Buy more ammo!
tiger_deF View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiger_deF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 1:55pm
The problem is they will not be looking for these home cases and will probably not catch them until it is too late...
I predict an explosion over the weekend.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 2:11pm
South Korea needs to be honest so other countries can prepare and be on the watch for imported cases.    Confined to only hospitals is clearly not true.  Impossible with these numbers.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 7:22am
19 dead, CFR increasing, 5,500 quarantined, 3 out of 4 new cases not those in quarantine, 10 in so-called quarantine flee country...

World-wide pandemic is beginning.

http://www.avianflutalk.com/mers-death-toll-rises-to-19_topic34469.html#253390
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic