Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

South Korea reports three new cases of MERS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Korea reports three new cases of MERS
    Posted: June 20 2015 at 6:00pm
This bug seems very tough to eradicate, if it's even possible.  Could be like trying to eradicate a cold virus once it takes hold.

South Korea reports three new cases of MERS, taking total to 169

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:46pm EDT

A man wearing a mask to prevent contracting Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) rides on an escalator in Seoul, South Korea, June 19, 2015.

South Korea's Health Ministry reported on Sunday three more cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, bringing the total to 169 in an outbreak that is the largest outside of Saudi Arabia.

The ministry late on Saturday reported the 25th fatality, a patient who had suffered a heart ailment and diabetes. The outbreak which was first confirmed on May 20 seems to have leveled off, the ministry said on Friday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/21/us-health-mers-southkorea-idUSKBN0P100320150621

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 6:10pm
I will also add, eradication of the virus could be possible in the very early stages if it can be contained and isolated to one case.  Once it hits 3+ cases,  it may not be possible, as with what we're seeing with South Korea and about to see with Thailand,  and by the delayed action by the WHO to get involved.   Once it's in a country, it could possibly be there for a very long time.  Maybe forever. 

onefluover View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 8:22pm
I think it IS a cold virus just like all the rest except it's still in the earlier stages of transforming into a weakened common cold but not before wreaking havoc first.
"And then there were none."
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 8:30pm
That's probably true.  It's like a nasty summer cold at the moment.   I still think it would spread like wildfire in the winter in North America and Europe.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 9:09pm
The MERS corona is not like the human cold corona variety, it is much nastier.  It is its inherent nastiness and penchant for case fatalities that allows us to control it at all, via contact tracing and case isolation.  

This MERS virus is nowhere near as deadly & transmissible as was the SARS virus, although there are epidemiological similarities.   

SARS was controlled only because the world got damn serious about it, and quickly.  If we keep monkeying around with MERS, it will eventually jump into a major population from a super-spreader patient.  I don't want to be in the country that happens in. 

And, those damn masks are worthless. 
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 11:14pm
 Check out the way this police officer is wearing his mask at the airport in Seoul, Chuck  Disapprove

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 2:25am
He's a mouth breather
Rishat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rishat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 2:38am
У меня иммунитет к инфекционным заболеваниям. 18 лет занимаюсь спортом на свежем воздухе. riszhit@yandex.ru
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 4:16am
Hey..... Rishat's back.

translated:  I have immunity to infectious diseases. 18 years of doing sports in the fresh air. riszhit@yandex.ru

We haven't heard from Rishat since JD took that blood transfusion from him for super immunity.  Big smile

</span></span>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 6:06am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Check out the way this police officer is wearing his
mask at the airport in Seoul, Chuck  Disapprove

Yeah. The other guy is smiling under his mask because he KNOWS.
cobber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 7:04am
for reference. Those masks are near useless. The have a very poor face seal. Either way they come across someone with MERS they'er probably both screwed  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 8:37am
Will they get mad if I like photoshop this photo with batwinged MERS virons flying in one nostril, out the other and into the universal leaks around the other, more confident looking guys...mask?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 8:41am
One thing is certain. Those masks weren't made in America.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 8:59am
I love the people who do not cover the nose...really dumb people!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

We haven't heard from Rishat since JD took that blood transfusion from him for super immunity.  Big smile

Can't say I've been too happy with the results. Not being able to go out during the full moon has proved problematic, and my wife says the howling is getting on her last nerve. And now I can't wear anything white because of the shedding. The cats have been acting real nervous lately, and nobody seems to know where the neighbor's chihuahua has gone. Odd.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 12:00pm
Oh God!  Don't go near Oneflu, JD.  If he thinks you are a dog you are in trouble.  
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 12:59pm
Lucky for my chihuahuas they've all been McNeutered. Also lucky they don't live near Dago.

I did once tattoo on dogs. 14 Shar Pei pups. Registration numbers for a pro breeder. It made me feel kind of like a doggie nazi
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 2:13pm
LOL
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Can't say I've been too happy with the results. Not being able to go out during the full moon has proved problematic, and my wife says the howling is getting on her last nerve. And now I can't wear anything white because of the shedding. The cats have been acting real nervous lately, and nobody seems to know where the neighbor's chihuahua has gone. Odd.

Just stay away from the basketball court & you'll be fine Wink.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2015 at 11:38pm
LOL
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 7:27am
As long as they are only reporting ones and twos every few days or week we do not have an epidemic. We have seen this in many diseases reported here including "outbreaks" in China. If MERS were that contagious it would be sweeping South Korea. A few cases, though many are probable, does not an outbreak make.
"not if but when" the original Medclinician
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 7:31am
http://newsdaily.com/2015/06/south-korea-reports-two-more-deaths-in-mers-outbreak-three-new-cases/

The health ministry in Seoul also confirmed three new cases, taking the total to 172 in an outbreak that is the largest outside Saudi Arabia, but has shown signs of slowing credited to wide-reaching control measures.

MERS was first identified in humans in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and the majority of cases have been in the Middle East.

Isolated cases have cropped up in Asia before South Korea’s outbreak began last month, and Thailand reported its first case last week in a 75-year-old man from Oman who had traveled to Bangkok for treatment for a heart condition.

comment: This has been a pattern of at least 12 "outbreaks" that have fizzled.  Unless this virus becomes widespread or more contagious it still is moderately contained.

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 12:26pm
Yep - I tend to agree, Med. The danger lies in the long term though - more countries means more hosts and the potential to better adapt to humans. Spreading as it has in slightly cooler conditions doesn't bode well for the coming winter months if it's entrenched in multiple locations around the globe.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefluover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2015 at 8:46pm
I agree.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic