Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How resilient is the United States’ food system
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

How resilient is the United States’ food system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How resilient is the United States’ food system
    Posted: June 25 2015 at 1:20pm
How resilient is the United States’ food system to pandemics?

Andrew G. Huff,
Walter E. Beyeler,
Nicholas S. Kelley,
Joseph A. McNitt

Abstract

Rarely have studies focused on the second- and third-order effects of pandemics. Limiting the disruption of critical infrastructures during a pandemic is important for the survival and health of society (i.e., electricity, water, and food) as most medical and public health responses to a pandemic depend on these infrastructures. The studies that have looked at this issue have highlighted alarming gaps in preparedness. This study used a system dynamics model to demonstrate the likely effects of a pandemic on the USA’s food system. The model reveals that a severe pandemic with greater than a 25 % reduction in labor availability can create significant and widespread food shortages. The Ebola epidemic that began in 2014 has caused severe food shortages in West Africa, which are similar to the effects that this model predicts in the USA. The likely effects of the reduction in the amount of available food are difficult to specifically predict; however, it is likely to have severe negative consequences on society. The resilience of the food system must be improved against this hazard and others.

for entire article:http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13412-015-0275-3
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 1:52pm
In a nutshell, it's completely unprepared for a major pandemic. But to be fair, so is every infrastructure that we depend on. That's why we prep. folks Wink
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 1:55pm
Good find, arirish - people tend to think that there are contingency plans in place for everything and we'll be just fine. The truth is that some things cannot be prepared for. One quarter to one third of the workforce sickened for extended periods (weeks and up) would cripple every supply line and bring us to our knees.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 2:58pm
JIT delivery is common practice for just about every type distribution in the US. When the deliveries stop there will be shortages,on that you can count on.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 3:41pm

I love the JIT systemTongue

it works great !!!

I went to Home Depot yesterday

before going I went on-line to see if they had everything I wanted,since it's a good half hour drive to their store

according to their web site

everything was in stock

they even told me how many and on what aisle each item was

how convenient !!!

when I got there

they did not have one single item I was looking for

not one!!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 4:07pm
I am always in shock when I go to my King Soopers (Kroger) on a Sat. or Sun. night the shelves are somewhat bare and fresh vegies are so empty it scares me. The JIT is not good for any emergency situation.

The only place I would run to for last minute would be Sams or Costco they have a little back up in the upper shelves.

Most people are like my sister think things will never get bad enough that she would have to prep. So far she is correct!

People get hit with a tornado and in that case much of anyone's preps in that case could be destroyed unless buried or in a tornado shelter. Floods like we are having in Denver many of my preps would be ok but cans would have to be sanitized and maybe the 5 gal buckets thrown out. Earthquake preps if you can get to them in a collapsed house can be used.

Really many of our preps are for long term emergencies IF the preps are not destroyed. That is a big IF because in many mother nature disasters our preps could be gone but in a Pandemic we would be in a much better situation than 99% of people.

So we prep on because unlike most people we believe being prepped is better than not.
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 12:05pm
Very good points FluMom!  I have often thought that over... what if this, what if that...  After the Ebola thing in the US last year I realized I am prepped for something just like Ebola... imo easily survivable & you can out last it.  Airborne flu... that would be tougher but maybe we could do it. 

I need to do more research into Nuclear... especially since Oak Ridge is not too terribly far from me. Do any of you already prep for Nuclear disaster?  I have done a tiny bit of research on how to tape off your house but not enough to understand.

As FluMom said, the natural disasters... it would just depend on if we took a direct hit.  If not, then yeah we might could get through till some sort of civil services took over.

Major EMP, probably scares me the most.  The kind of thing were it would take decades to regroup.  I'm not, nor will I ever be able to prep for that.  We do not live in a community which I believe it would take to survive that, different people with different skill sets, massive gardening effort, and the most important SECURITY.

There is no reason to not prep.  Money? sure I guess, space?  I guess so... but in my head I'd rather never need it than need it & not have it... the consequences would be catastrophic... to me & probably all of you, it's my responsibility to take care of myself & family if you have one.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 6:57pm
Well said, Jen Thumbs Up
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 9:46pm

...this is how many of us in the field of emergency response feel!!  

Stay safe, Chuck
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 2:14am
The problem is a lack of personal responsibility. We don't prep because that's not our job - the government will take care of us. Most people (99.999....%) make the assumption that their taxes pay for a solution to everything, when commonsense should tell us that there are some things too big for us to shake our little fists at. Pandemics, drought, flooding, CMEs, a Cat 5 hurricane rolling across the Gulf - Mother nature can throw things at us that amply demonstrate that we're just along for the ride, and any illusion of control is just that.
Can't remember where I saw this, but it's a good quote nonetheless-

CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Can't remember where I saw this, but it's a good quote nonetheless-

Like the Metallica song says, "Sad but true!" 

The Feds would like to see more folks prepare, which is why they publish sites like this:

They don't advise (publicly) to buy guns & ammo, but a lot of 'em are sympathetic to us. 
CRS, DrPH
Jen147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 12:32pm
Dr. Chuck quoting Metallica??? LOL... I love that song.  I was a head banger in the 80's & early 90's, lol.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 1:34pm
It's just common sense! If anyone would just think a little. I used to live on the coast, anytime there was a potential hurricane, the grocery shelves were wiped out. It's the same when there is a winter storm coming where I live now. If people just thought a little bit about these types of instances they would realize how empty the shelves would be so very quickly. I remember one time I was living in Atlanta, we got the tail end of a hurricane coming up through Florida, so by then it was a tropical storm. Wasn't supposed to be any big deal, no kind of warnings, nothing, it wasn't supposed to be a big deal. just a little rain. Well it WAS a big deal. Flooding, a tornado, no electricity for 4 or 5 days. Everything came to a standstill. You could not buy anything, the first day because they could not run cash registers, then the groceries got wise, they opened and sold stuff using calculators cause their food was going to spoil. But it was less than safe, shopping in stores where the only light was from the front windows and long lines because it was slow to check out and you had to have CASH ONLY. Once it was gone there was no more because they couldn't receive anything as they had no computer systems, so bare shelves very quickly and what was left was only a few canned goods.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 1:36pm
Oh I forgot to add, this was the situation that turned me into a gun owner, lol.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 2:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic