Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

OMG Grocery Store In East Before Storm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OMG Grocery Store In East Before Storm
    Posted: January 21 2016 at 6:20pm
So I am on MSN online and they show photos of a store in NY WOW! The place was empty. A reason I have my stash! Bread was wiped out, gee you can go home and make some bread not hard but I guess people can't do that anymore. You could bake 6 loaves of bread in an evening.

And they call preppers crazy! NOT!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 6:41pm
^Thanks, Flu Mom!  I LOVE to bake bread etc., I get a buzz from the aroma of yeast in rising dough! 

We always have packages of yeast on hand, that is a good prep tip!  Here are some basic recipes, bread is very easy to make & very fulfilling:

CRS, DrPH
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 7:27pm
Of all my friends, I am basically the only scratch cooker. No microwave meals for me, haven't had one in almost a year now. I have never tried making bread, but I have made cinnamon roles, cakes, things like that. I think cinnamon rolls might be the closes I have got to bread so far. Maybe I should make some soon. I don't really like bread though, tbh.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 7:37pm

#Snowmaggedon2016: Empty Store Shelves As Panicked Shoppers Ransack Grocery Stores

http://www.prisonplanet.com/snowmaggedon2016-empty-store-shelves-as-panicked-shoppers-ransack-grocery-stores.html

kinda scary how very unprepared people are

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 9:14pm
I think it's like that anywhere. I used to live in Norfolk/Virginia Beach area, every time there was a hurricane warning the stores would look just like those pictures. Then I lived in Atlanta and a hurricane hit Florida by the time it came through Atlanta it was a tropical storm, we lost electricity for 3 days, so the stores could not get any inventory in cause they couldn't receive it, they could sell using calculators/cash, the shelves looked like that also. And that is why I prep.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2016 at 9:32pm
It's an older article, but it touches on what most of us already know - the just in time system only works when everthing's in place.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/11/nine-meals-anarchy-sustainable-system

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 2:28am
Baking bread is simple, yes, but it is also hard work and time consuming.  I have a breadmaker and yet I still keep huge numbers of crackers in case the bread runs out.  Roti/chapatis are easy to make though and you can (contrary to popular opinion) use any flour: white, brown, mixed grain or wholemeal, plain or self raising - whatever you have.  Just make a dough with the flour and water, roll out and pan fry with as little oil as possible.  You can flavour the dough too: mix in a packet of consome mix or a well ground stock cube before adding the water.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 12:43pm
Is dry milk worth it? I am heavily lactose intollerant, except can handle small amounts of milk in baked goods. Does it have a long shelf life?
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 12:57pm
I almost exclusively use dried milk, I prefer it.  

However, there is a knack to making it up.  Too cold or too hot and it goes revoltingly lumpy.  Aim for the temperature the cow does it.  They know what they are doing!  It dissolves (it actually forms a uniform colloid) every time.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 1:03pm
Gas Shortages Reported in DC Area Ahead of Blizzard

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Gas-Shortages-Reported-in-DC-Area-Ahead-of-Blizzard-366206501.html
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 10:00pm
Milk comes out of a cow at 101 degrees. That should prevent lumps if Techno is right about too cold or too hot.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 5:03am
In   Farenheit yes.

- But absolute precision is unnecessary: "hand hot"/lukewarm/comfortable was my drift - like "just made" natural milk.  Boiling and freezing liquids won't work - the milk cooks in the first one (as those tipping the powder into their fresh tea or coffee find out) and refuses to separate into its particles in the latter, resulting in a need to whisk violently.

When the water is lukewarm, sprinkle the powder on top and wait until all of it has drifted away into the liquid before stirring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic