Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

VOTE: Should the Olympics be Cancelled?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should the summer Olympics be cancelled in Brazil?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [76.19%]
5 [23.81%]

Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOTE: Should the Olympics be Cancelled?
    Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:27am
Question: Should the Olympics be cancelled?

Origin of Zika Virus Outbreak in Brazil May Be Linked to Major Sporting Events

Scientists have traced the Zika virus spreading through the Western Hemisphere to a strain from French Polynesia. The virus was first confirmed in this hemisphere in Brazil last May, but quickly spread leading to more than 1 million estimated cases in Brazil by the end of 2015.

In a research paper, scientists said the outbreak might have been linked to major sporting events that brought together thousands of people across the globe to Brazil.

“It is very likely an infected traveler from French Polynesia that traveled to Brazil was likely the source of the Brazilian invasion,” Dr. Peter Armbruster, professor of biology at Georgetown University, who was not involved in that study, told ABC News. “Whether it is someone associated with the [World Cup], we do not know for sure.”

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/zika-virus-update-31-people-us-infected-houston/story?id=36597002
Buy more ammo!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:29am
Cancellation gets my vote.

Sportsmen showing off for entertainment is far less important than shattered lives.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:38am
Arirish beat me to this and I wanted to make a poll question for this.  Good job Arirish and I apologize for hijacking your topic. 

Please feel free to vote and share your opinion.

Arirish I'll probably merge your thread to this one. 
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 10:55am
Be my guest Albert! I didn't think to make it a poll! Thanks!
Buy more ammo!
tiger_deF View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiger_deF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 12:38pm
I would normally say yes, it should be cancelled, but Brazil has spent billions on Olympic preparations, preparations that are utterly useless otherwise. If it is cancelled, then there will be riots. This could lead to further instability in a country that has  had a shrinking economy for decades.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 3:44pm
Some scientists are suggesting that a vaccine might take less than a year to brew up.  I actually think a postponement would be best.  They might fail to make a vaccine, but at least it would have a chance first.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by tiger_deF tiger_deF wrote:

I would normally say yes, it should be cancelled, but Brazil has spent billions on Olympic preparations, preparations that are utterly useless otherwise.

This is the exact reason why the WHO emergency meeting is a waste of time.  They most likely will not issue travel restrictions, and will probably issue no warning to travelers of which may prevent or deter them from attending.   Too much money at stake.   This will ultimately end with Chan's resignation about 12 months afterwards when people have forgotten about the games and have seen the damage it caused. 

The world attendance will be very low for the summer games and very little doubt about that.  There would have to be a joint world effort to reimburse Brazil for the cost in order to cancel. 

This is going to raise a lot of controversy soon and I see a huge conflict in the making between the CDC and WHO before this is over.   The CDC will think it's insane not to cancel.   Although, if Obama starts hyping the games we'll see Fauci right in there like with Ebola backing him.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 4:27pm
I also voted to cancel. Yes, the amount of money to put on the Olympics is absurd. I lived in the Atlanta metro area when the Olympics were there and it is ridiculous, they build things just for the Olympics. I got so sick of hearing about and seeing it for the years prior to, I had absolutely no interest in going to any event once it arrived. But of course once again I assume money will be more important than human lives.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 6:29pm
I'm saying No, don't cancel. We're all adults. If you choose to go then you take the risk with your own health, and that of your loved ones should it prove to be transmitted human to human. In order to justify cancelling the olympics, you would have to do a blanket travel ban, and after the whole Ebola thing last year, we all know that will never happen. 

The whole world is run by economic forces. Nothing else matters, and nothing else in the world has such powerful repercussions. Global travel will never be stopped because of the economic factors, and the same can be said about the Olympics. 

The only factor that I can see might make governments sit up and pay attention to Zika, is the deformities in unborn children. And the only reason this will grab their attention is that having a percentage of a generation that can't earn money and pay taxes will damage the economy and these children will need a great deal of medical support and that too, costs money. It sounds heartless but it's true. Economic factors are behind all decisions.

Personally, there's no way I'd go and watch the Olympics, but then again, I was never tempted to go in the first place. I'd rather watch them on TV.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 7:14pm
I voted YES, people are stupid and we can wait a year or two to protect the world. Let's face it there was no Olympics in an Ebola area when it was running hot. But the Olympics will be taking place where Zika Virus is very hot.

So logic says let's not spread it even more by sending thousands of people from all over the world to Brazil.

Dang re-read my post and saw I put the wrong thing in this post...LOL. I am 66 so I have an excuse...LOL! So I corrected my post now it makes sense.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 7:34pm
Remember, once bitten the person will travel back to their own country, and there is a chance they can sexually transmit it,  or that they transmit  it to their mosquito population. 

My only two questions before declaring a pandemic and cancelling the games would be, are asymptomatic cases infectious silent carriers and can they infect others?  And can you get the Zika virus twice?  

If Asymptomatic carriers can infect others, they would have to cancel the games.  The global spread would be off the charts.   If that's the case, it would almost become a rarity to not have a malformed baby a couple years from now.  Example, some guy goes home sleeps with a few women not knowing he's infected, and those women do the same, etc....  Sorry JD if that scenario hit home with you man.  Big smile

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 7:57pm
With how fast the virus is spreading, you would have to think Asymptomatic cases can infect others.  

There have been 6 U.S. cases.  Do we really think all were bitten by a mosquito?  None of the reports identified a mosquito bite.    I can just see a guy returning from a business trip who cheated on his wife, and saying ya doc, I must have been bitten by a mosquito.   No doubt they're going to claim mosquito bite instead of how they probably really got it.   "No babe, it was a mosquito bite, really it was".  

I'll bet Asymptomatic carriers are infectious for a short period of time.  It's spreading too fast. 
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 11:23am
My question is: if a woman has Zika, and then recovers, will she be able to have a healthy baby or not? If the answer is not, then the human race is doomed. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Sorry JD if that scenario hit home with you man.  Big smile

My wife says she's going to swing by your place and "pay you a visit". Not sure what that means, or why she had a "tone" when she said it. Odd. That's good though, because for some reason my rifle isn't where I left it and it'll give me a chance to look for it while she's up there. Wonder where that went? And the new box of ammo. Strange...

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by KiwiMum KiwiMum wrote:

My question is: if a woman has Zika, and then recovers, will she be able to have a healthy baby or not? If the answer is not, then the human race is doomed. 

I was wondering the same thing. I am only 26, and not in the biggest rush to have kids yet. I want to be financially stable first and out of grad school. I wonder what the risk factor of having birth defects is for people infected, but have kids years after. Also, I wonder if it's more common in poorer areas to have the heavy birth defects and if prenatal vitamins and early treatment could help. (I'm falling behind in the discussion.)
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
DefCon0 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefCon0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 4:44am
Outbreak is a message to BRICs
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 6:29am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Sorry JD if that scenario hit home with you man.  Big smile

My wife says she's going to swing by your place and "pay you a visit". Not sure what that means, or why she had a "tone" when she said it. Odd. That's good though, because for some reason my rifle isn't where I left it and it'll give me a chance to look for it while she's up there. Wonder where that went? And the new box of ammo. Strange...

lol.... cracks me up.  I knew when I said that it could come back to haunt me.  I remembered the wife telling you a long time ago that you were spending too much time here (i think), so I figured she stays away from here and wouldn't see that.   Sure hope I was right about that.   Hell knows no furry like a woman's scorn.  Got my survival kit by the door and I'll probably head to the mountains for a few days.  Ouch
Upsetting any woman is a golden rule not to break.  People will never realize that women are the ones in charge. 

Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 8:49am
AND DON'T FORGET IT!!!LOL
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 9:16am
Not a chance of that.  Learned that lesson early on.    Smile
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 11:38am
LOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 6:36pm
You younger women are asking the right question will the virus stay in your body and affect your future pregnancy. I worry about any children my son may have in the future.

From what I have heard from GMA's Dr. Besser he says you should be safe after the virus leaves your body in 2-3 weeks. I am not sure they know yet and I bet you can get this virus more than once. I can get the flu more than once, noro virus more than once, a cold more than once. This is all iffy!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 7:04pm
I vote "Yes" for this reason - there will be a tremendous increase in international air travel to & from Brazil, so the odds of an infected mosquito hitching a ride in a jet to another country and establishing the Zika virus increases. 

West Nile Virus became established in the USA from this type of process.   Like WNV, Zika is a flavivirus. 

How WN virus arrived in New York City is unknown. Potential routes of introduction include importation of infected birds, mosquitoes or viremic human beings. The outbreak occurred in an area including two international airports (16).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2094770/

CRS, DrPH
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 7:50pm
I posted an article recently, which cited that one sporting event in Brazil caused this entire outbreak of 1 mill cases.  Just one large soccer event started it all.   They say 4 million cases in the Americas, but there will be millions worldwide after the Olympics, which takes place in the peak of summer. 
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 8:02pm
My view is pretty simple on this.  No sporting event should ever be worth a child's life.   And that is what a child will lose when born with Microcephaly, their life.    Simply, it's not worth the life on any one child, not even the risk of it.  Nor is their economy worth the risk of a child's life.  That's exactly what's wrong with this world.  Deep down, nobody cares, or they care more about money, which I call greed.  As they say, this is the devil's planet.    It's really a despicable act to consider a sporting event over the life of a child, let alone thousands, or hundreds of thousands,.  One is too many just to see who has the fastest runner, or who can throw a javelin the farthest.  I thought human sacrifices were outlawed over 2000 years ago.  And over a sporting event?  People need to open their eyes.  Or maybe their hearts.   Confused

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

You younger women are asking the right question will the virus stay in your body and affect your future pregnancy. I worry about any children my son may have in the future.

From what I have heard from GMA's Dr. Besser he says you should be safe after the virus leaves your body in 2-3 weeks. I am not sure they know yet and I bet you can get this virus more than once. I can get the flu more than once, noro virus more than once, a cold more than once. This is all iffy!

Agreed FluMom, I would like to find a suitor and settle down and work on some youngins within the next 5 years or less since I will have my master's at the end of the year if all goes well. That's why I'd like to know if my kids would be at risk. I hope the dr is right, and that's true, you can get colds, etc more than once so I wonder if that'd be the same.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic