Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Azeri Dog Dies of BF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Azeri Dog Dies of BF
    Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:36am

BAKU (Reuters) - A dog has died of bird flu in Azerbaijan, a country where the virus is believed to have caused the death of three young women, officials said on Wednesday.

"A dead stray dog has been found, and after analysis type A bird flu was discovered. The medical investigation is continuing," said a statement from the state commission tasked with fighting the spread of bird flu. It said the dog died on March 9 in the capital Baku.

More species of mammals. Can't be a good thing.
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
vladas View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vladas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:58am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:03am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/200 6/03/11/
ethanoi11.xml&sSheet=/travel/2006/03/11/ixtrvhome.html
Chuck-91 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck-91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:12am
The above post says that " a stray dog has been found" . I have seen several phrases similiar in various news articles over the last 3 weeks or so and it makes me wonder, everytime, just how many mammals have NOT been found.
Those who will not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:36am
I think I'm having a panick attack:-( How can one live in a world where all these animals are potential threat ?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:38am

Dogs and humans share many of the same ailments.  This is not good news. 

I also wonder how many dead or dying mammals have not been found or tested.  This is very sad news.  I have three dogs and two cats.  I can keep cats inside, but only one of the dogs.      

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 7:54am
Has Rick flipped? Did he not have breakfast this am. Is he thinking of a
culinary treat associated with our canine fellows? I hope not.
RainBow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:28am
People are mamals.... if we can get BF from birds why wouldn't we expect that other mamals could get BF as well? This is no surprise and I don't think that it should make us think that BF is a step closer. It is sad that animals are getting sick but I'm sure we could all see that coming.... no?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:30am
Damn. I just bought a new dog for the family. (and a little protection and warning) Should I re-think this?
andrew p View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:38am
RainBow,  it is not a surprise, I guess,  just a reminder that viruses  evolve a lot faster than we do.
It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:46am
I think Rick was trying to point out that dog is popular on the asian menu, just saw a bbc report on it a few days ago-so that's one more way for humans to get infected.
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:51am
 The inter-species jumps are starting to concern me. If it was indeed a stray, it is possible that it fed on contaminated birds. However, I am in Minnesota and I am watching the migrating honkers (Canadian Geese) comeing up form the south. These birds fly nearly directly over the "mega hog farms" in Iowa. Being that swine are the ideal test tube for the virus recombination to an H2H variant, this is not a good thing.
KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:53am

Dogs share much less diseases with us than do mice!!!! Also pigs are closer, right?

No, I think dogs getting this is BAD, BAD, BAD. I think it's pretty rare to have a virus in cats, dogs, people and birds, isn't it?????

The more species that have it the worse it is! It proves it mutates easily and is impossible to imunize against. It spreads easier because the virus is being shed EVERYWHERE. BAD!

RainBow View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainBow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 9:58am

Don't forget weasels, or what ever that little creature is.

Regardless of WHAT animals get it, I think it is more important to look at HOW they got it. Of course the more animals that get infected the more chance of humans getting infected as well... but the fact that these animals are getting the virus from eating other infected animals (so they say) doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If a dog got the virus from a sick person or from another sick dog, then I would be concerned.

trish View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:09am
I am still puzzled why no one bothered to reply to my post about hundreds of living dogs and cats being found to carry H5N1 in Thailand in a 2004 scientific study.This information about cats and dogs being carriers has been known within the scientific community for years now. See my earlier post for sull research details and references.
araywood View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote araywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:30am

On March 9, a stray dog from the village of Rasulzade (Binagadin District) was examined for bird flu in Azerbaijan. As a result of the examination, bird flu virus, A type, was found by the dog. As the State Committee on the Virus Dissemination Prevention informed, the research has continued.

The Azerbaijani Healthcare Ministry pays special attention to the residents of Salyan and Terter Districts who are suspected to be infected. Along with defining the reasons of the diseases in laboratory, which is held together with the World Health Organization, sanitary and quarantine measures are held in the places of potential virus dissemination, reports APA.

Permanent news address

I need a biology lesson. A type A stran can go H2H   or D2D

NO NEWS IS WHO NEWS
Tansau View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tansau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 1:57pm
Viral fever claims many canines
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, March 01: Amid reports of several dogs
succumbing to viral fever in Nongmaikhong and Keibul areas, personnel
of Forest and Environment Department today conducted a massive search
at the periphery of Loktak Lake and Keibul Lamjao National Park to
ascertain whether the migratory birds which throng these areas are
carriers of the H5NI virus that causes avian influenza.

The checking and salvage operations were conducted under the
supervision of Deputy Conservator of Forest (Park and Sanctuary)
alongwith Range Forest Officers of Keibul Lamjao Th Bimol and I
Gopendro.

Other than large number of migratory birds feeding in their winter habitat
at Loktak Lake and Keibul Lamjao National Park there is no report of any
death of the migratory birds in the said sanctuaries, according to some
Department officials who took part in the bird flu scanning operations.
The officials also informed that Nongmaikhong and Keibul villagers have
informed that viral fever-like disease has claimed several
dogs in their respective areas while many other dogs are stricken with the
similar symptom.

When contacted for further inputs on the development, veterinary expert
Dr Ng Ibopishak said that there are instances when the
bird flu has affected domestic cats and explained that reports of dogs
suffering from runny tongue and nose before succumbing closely
resemble symptoms of viral flu infections.

He, however, maintained that coming to any conclusion without going
through the test and check procedures would be premature at the
juncture.

Villagers of the affected areas recounted that the victim
dogs with excessive signs of fluids in the hearing and tasting organs
lasted for only a week before succumbing to the mysterious disease.

The dogs die soon after quenching thirst, they maintained.

So far 20 dogs have died at Nongmaikhong with Keibul also recording
similar number of cases, informed the villagers.

It may be noted that carcasses of two Commorant bird species considered
to be carrier of the H5NI virus strain were recovered from near the
national park some months back.

http://www.e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=7.17.020306.mar06
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic