Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

October prepping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: October prepping
    Posted: October 01 2016 at 8:29am
It's officially Fall now! I guess it's time to get things in order for the winter if you haven't already. We are still having awesome weather, 70's and 80's during the day and 50's at night which means I have not used heat/air going on two weeks which means a low electric bill next month, which means more money. I think I will focus on OTC meds this month, go through my stash and see what I need to replace and what I am lacking. What is everyone else working on?
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 8:48am
With all the talk of earthquakes in this part of the world, I've been buying extra water. We were getting low so it was time to restock anyway, and the possibility (albeit slight) of the San Andreas fault moving seemed like a pretty good excuse. Even my wife was on board this time - in fact, she was the one who suggested it when we were at the store. I'll make a prepper of her yet Wink

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 1:23pm
we're prepping around here too

it consists of praying that Hurricane Matthew doesn't make a direct hit on us as a Cat 5 Confused
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Satori Satori wrote:

we're prepping around here too

it consists of praying that Hurricane Matthew doesn't make a direct hit on us as a Cat 5 Confused

Amen to that. Stay safe.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 6:43pm
I am getting 2 cords of wood, have 2.5 cords in my wood pile now I always keep at least 4 cords over the winter. I am going to see if I can get 1/2 cord of oak for long burning overnight if TSHTF. I would also use oak on the weekend so I don't have to keep loading the as often.

I am going to clean out my OTC stores and see what I need like some of you. I keep lots of Mucinex and nasal saline, helps with colds. I need aspirin it helps with so many things!

I did clean most of my basement but it still needs more! I hate cleaning the basement!

hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 10:13pm
Mostly just OTC meds and I'm running low on cat food. Water would be good though. I can see some paranoia shopping around Orange County. People are buying those rip off pre-made BOB's instead of making their own for cheaper. Downside of the news spamming the earthquake info is that either you get hardcore paranoia or hardcore skepticism. At least there are some rational thinking preppers out there aside from us. :)
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 4:07pm
Jacksdad, if you are prepping for an earthquake, get each family member a tiny LED torch to keep with them at all times (I have one in my handbag) in case you get stuck in a building without power or partially collapsed. 

One big thing we learnt here was that although the mobile phone network will collapse almost immediately (due to damage and also everyone trying to call loved ones) but you can still send a text for 2 or 3 minutes, so make sure your family know that and don't waste their time trying to call. 

When we had our 6.3 that killed 185 people, my husband was in the CBD right at the epicentre and he texted to say he was fine and would work his way home. That was all I needed to hear and although it took him ages to get home I didn't worry about him and was able to get on with our emergency checklists. My friend wasn't so lucky and didn't know what had happened to her hubby for 6 hours (he was fine) but she was a mess, so were the kids, with worry. 

I have a pre written text in my phone ready to whip off to my sister in Australia telling her we're fine and for her to contact the rest of our family overseas and to post something on my facebook page to let people know. I can send that to her in a heartbeat and then have time to text my immediate family.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 5:43pm
Kiwimum, when you talked about the cell phone network shutting down, it reminded me of 9/11. Depending on what type of emergency you have your cell service could be shut down for you. On 9/11, I was working on a military base, when the bombing started all cell phones were working, once they figured out it was a terrorist attack no ones phone in at least a 25 mile radius was working AT ALL, no calls, no texts. I live 20 miles from the base and it wasn't even working at my house, blocked that far out. Talk about a scary feeling, not being able to get in touch with your loved ones or anyone.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 6:47pm
When Mexicali had a big 6+ eq in, I think 2010, we lost cell phone connectivity for a short amount of time at UC Riverside.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 10:11pm
Talking of cell phones going down - our remote area has battery backup for cell phone towers, but they will only last about 3 hours - so in event of electricity supply disruption we know that if it lasts longer than 3 hours we loose the phone system as well.
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 1:19am
Edwin, we have the same problem here in NZ so all new rural phone exchanges (the large boxes by the side of the road that telephone engineers fiddle with if there's a problem with your line) have had an external plug socket fitted so that you can take a small generator up to the box, plug it in and reboot your home phone. They started to put them after a large snow storm where an area of South Canterbury was cut off by snow for 3 weeks and no one had a phone line. I wonder, if you look carefully around the back of your local box, if you'll find that yours is the same?
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 6:44pm
Ok after spending the last 2 days sick, one of them puking for hours and losing 6 pounds in the process, then the other sleeping straight for 24 hours except to get up and use the bathroom or get a drink. I definitely know what I need to stock up on. I had absolutely NO Gatorade, I let all the kids that come to visit drink it, because well I never get sick, it's been like 15 years since I threw up. And I had NO Ginger ale or Sprite I had to call someone to go get some for me. I did have applesauce and chicken soup which I took to work with me today and it was the first thing I ate in 3 days. Gatorade, Ginger ale, more chicken soup.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 2:56pm
The FDA recently banned essentially all anti-bacterial soaps: 

Well, jeez!  The evidence against the antibacterial agents is pretty weak, and I find them effective for treating skin infections.  

I stocked up on a whole bunch of Dial Gold at Sam's Club & also bought a large bottle of Betadine surgical scrub from Amazon.  I don't know why they would ban Betadine, it is iodine-based and great stuff for surgical prep.  

The nanny-state is going nuts.

CRS, DrPH
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 8:16pm
My 2 youngest both have body piercings and the tattoo places tell them only to use the anti-bacterial soap to cleanse new piercings with. Neither of them ever got infections.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 12:17pm
I invested in a little stun gun. Seems the "creepy clowns" intend to come to my school and I'm not gonna treat it as a joke if any "clown" approaches me in an off putting/aggressive way: be it a costumed clown or a plain closed rapscallion looking for trouble. Plus it'd be a decent prep too.
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 4:39pm
really good price on Mountain House chicken and rice

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M7Z2JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

I invested in a little stun gun. Seems the "creepy clowns" intend to come to my school and I'm not gonna treat it as a joke if any "clown" approaches me in an off putting/aggressive way: be it a costumed clown or a plain closed rapscallion looking for trouble. Plus it'd be a decent prep too.

I myself am well-prepared for the Clownpocalypse....

CRS, DrPH
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 7:57pm
Nice little gun ya got there!
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Penham Penham wrote:

Nice little gun ya got there!

Nah, that's not mine, just some clip-art I found online!!  Wink
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 7:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic