Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Earthquake/Tsunami in Christchurch NZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earthquake/Tsunami in Christchurch NZ
    Posted: November 13 2016 at 4:50am
A 7.4 Magnitude quake has hit North of Christchurch in New Zealand

KiwiMum, please let us know you are OK ASAP.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 5:19am
https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/2461 and http://www.geonet.org.nz/ (http://ptwc.weather.gov/text.php?id=pacific.TIBPAC.2016.11.13.1304 tsunami-risk limited to parts of New zealand-the way it looks now. But past experiences with tsunami's may want people to stay informed all around the pacific.)

Tidal measurements from Geonet now indicate that a tsunami two metres or more has been recorded in Kaikoura, and indications are it will hit other parts of the South Island soon.

The Ministry of Civil Defence is warning all residents of the coastal South Island, North Island and the Chatham Islands to move inland or to higher ground as soon as possible.

"The first wave activity may not be the most significant. Tsunami activity will continue for several hours and the threat must be regarded as real until this warning is cancelled."

Geonet's revised measurements say the quake was centred 15km northeast of Culverden at a depth of 15km and struck at 12.02am.

It was felt aross the country, with a series of strong aftershocks also felt since the main quake.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 8:17am
http://cnt.rm.ingv.it/en/event/9824511 According to Italian seismologists the quake was 8.1. (Between Christchurch and Wellington South/North-island) 

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:35am
Kiwimum, you were in my thoughts and prayers this morning when I heard about the quake. May God bless all of you as your country and you go through this natural disaster.

When you can let us know how you are doing.

Hey, guys I bet Kiwimum does not have internet, can any of you computer wizards find out if the net in NZ is down find out when it may get up?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:37am
P.S. do any of you remember or know generally where Kiwimum lives in NZ?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:43am
I don't remember exactly what area??? anyone else?
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:47am
Best wishes to KiwiMum, I remember when Mexicali, MX has a 7.2 eq in I believe 2010, it disrupted our communications in Riverside County, California for a couple of hours and we weren't even that close to it.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:49am
Hi guys thanks for your concern. Amazingly we still have internet. We put in a satelite internet link last year and it's holding up. 

It was a huge shake. I'm quite close to epicentre. We were all asleep. I woke up because one of our cats screeched really loudly and then the quake started. It lasted for over a minute and the shaking was very strong. It woke us all up. 

I'm pleased to say that we're fine, and that we followed our earthquake drill - which is if you're in bed you stay in bed. We were all shouting to each other as the house rocked and rolled. 

We have relatives who are further south than us (and further away from the epicentre) who are by the coast and were evacuated in the early hours because of the tsunami risk. 

I live about an hours drive north of Christchurch, about 40 miles as the crow flies from the epicentre. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:55am
We've had a lot of aftershocks this morning. The power is out in a lot of places. We're ok because we live off grid so we're watching the TV this morning and seeing how bad it is everywhere. Anyway we're all tired and yawning. I'm half expecting another large quake as we are surrounded by huge faults that are long overdue to rupture. Thankfully we're high up so no tsunami risk for us. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 10:07am
Good to hear you're safe, KiwiMum. Just logged on and saw Techno posting about the earthquake.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 11:20am
Good to hear you are safe (but shaken) KiwiMum ! I hope damage and loss of life stays limited.
~Albert Einstein
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 12:27pm
So good to hear you are ok KiwiMum!
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 1:30pm

Thanks for your good wishes. 

I've just been into town and everyone there is shaken and tired. There were apparently loads of vehicles on the roads in the early hours as the coastal areas were evacuated. Lots of friends were in Welfare centres drinking tea at 3am. 

But there's no panic buying or over reacting which is good. I went to three shops and stood and had a good old chinwag with the staff for 20 minutes or so. There's not much damage where we are, as all the vunerable buildings were damaged 5 years ago in that quake storm and have now been repaired. Our new earthquake proof road bridge is also fine which is good news. I saw a few people hauling sleeping bags out to cars where they have spent the night with relatives. 

My children have put the tent up in our back garden in case we need it. They are excited about reports of military helicopters flying by to check for damage, but I doubt we'll see them here as we live in the middle of nowhere. 

One things for sure, it'll be a long day. Everyone in town looked knackered and was yawning. All schools are shut and lots of public buildings while they get checked out for structural repairs. 

There is a king tide today and i can't help but wonder if that has affected the earthquakes. Dutch Josh, do you know anything about this? Also someone said they'd heard a prediction that a larger quake is due today. Dutch Josh have you heard this?
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 1:55pm
thoughts are with you Kiwis,

must visit the south island one day soon you might sink, lol 

TAKE CARE !!!!Kiwimum......
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 4:21pm
Glad you are all well and safe! I have been putting up Christmas stuff all day and you have been on my mind the whole time so I am glad you have internet.

May God bless your country and all of it's people in this time of trial.

You guys are tough living in a huge quake zone and taking it like it is a little "accident" that just happened. I hope you all recover fast.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 4:43pm
Thank you FluMom for your kind thoughts and words. We're fine where I live, we're very lucky. 5 minutes ago we had a 6.6. The poor people of Kaikoura have no water and no sewerage and most of the roads in and out are cut off. At least we live on a farm. We have everything we need here, although we're not quite sure what state our well is in. 

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 9:55pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_RuHJOZCBw Dutchsinse has an earthquake update (almost an hour ! Also his forcast is very long-time eating. ) I look what I can find. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_tide

Dutchsinse warned for more earthquakes all around the pacific (before New Zealand-quake) due to a series of very deep Fiji quakes.
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2016 at 10:43pm
High Sea warning http://www.metservice.com/marine-surf/high-seas/forties with 2 meter high tide in Kaikoura http://www.metservice.com/marine-surf/tides/kaikoura. For the moment aftershocks are getting weaker but still very frequent http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt/weak so there is still a chance for some stronger (M4-M5) aftershocks I guess (DJ). 

The latest deep Fiji quake http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10007788#executive is almost 24hrs old. With some luck the most of the pressure-for the moment-may have been released. (But it looks like we are in a period with increased seismic activity, Dutchsinse warns for M5 quakes along the fracture north and south of the epicenter. Also increased volcanic risk on the North Island. But when new deep Fiji quakes restart the outlook worsens). 

Proberbly main things to do-access to drinking water (and food), out of risk of collapsing structures/mountains/landslides. High ground. Let people/family/ authority know were you are. 

Given the mountain area small aftershocks can start landslides, cause flooding (water being obstructed giving way-even on high ground this may cause problems). 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/86416467/photos-large-quake-strikes-new-zealand Movement was over 5 feet/2meters over a 160 kilometer area. (facebook Dutchsinseofficial)
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 3:03am
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/318014/gales-up-to-140km-h-to-hit-quake-affected-areas-today and http://www.metservice.com/warnings/severe-weather-warnings Parts of the area that felt the earthquakes face storm and rain. 

There were several M5+ aftershocks the last few hours http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt/moderate and EMSC is giving two deep earthquakes http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/world/M4/ in the SW Pacific. (depth 585 km Fiji M4,8 and depth 614 km Celebes Sea M4.2)  proberbly causing increased seismic shallow activity. 

Supermoon may be reason for high tide (king tide) and may be related to increased seismic activity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon#Effect_on_tides. But since super-moons can be calculated statistics show no real coincidence with earthquakes (and very limited effects on tides).

There may be a tendency for the (after)quakes in New Zealand to move north along the faultline. The Pacific has seen the largest earthquakes in recent history (M9 and up). My own interpretation of Dutchsinse is that there are "several silent zones" (Japan-Honshu, Sumatra, Pacific North West, Mexico, Chili) and maybe "weak spots" (like New Zealand) that may see (another) quake M7+ in the coming two/three days. 
~Albert Einstein
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 9:39pm
A GeoNet seismologist explains there was first slow movement north of the epicenter-than the M7.5 quake-and later on the smaller quakes, mixed with aftershocks continued. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoSrv7QpTw

~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 10:40am
So we're a few days on from the earthquake which has been upgraded to 7.8. Things are pretty normal where I live except the main motorway up the coast is closed. They are estimating that there have been between 80,000 and 100,000 landsiides, and are in doubt as to whether the route can ever be reopened. 

As luck would have it, Auckland was hosting an important naval ceremony and had invited America and Australia to it, so we had an American battleship and an Australian battleship in their harbour. Both of these, plus a NZ one set off for Kaikoura and have been helping with the evacuation of the 1000 tourists who are stranded in the town that has no road access now. 

It's been very sweet on the news seeing all the service men and women from these three ships shaking hands and working together, and they were saying what a useful exercise and first hand experience it's been for them. They've been ferrying the people to Lyttelton just south of Christchurch, and then bringing back supplies. They've been using their landing craft and all their equipment.

On the front of our local paper, it ran the (irresponsible) headline of "Stock up NOW - supplies will run out", and went on to say that supply routes are all blocked and so stock up or go without. I had to go into town that morning so went to the supermarket to find it was like Christmas Eve, absolutely packed. I haven't been back since so am not sure what the state of play is now but will let you know. 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 7:04pm
Nothing like the press causing panic buying. At least you are well stocked on most things!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic