Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Off Topic Discussion > Talk about anything
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Big Earthquake 8.3 coming to California

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dutch Josh View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Earthquake 8.3 coming to California
    Posted: January 03 2017 at 12:15pm
Several deep earthquakes in the Fiji-area will create larger more shallow quakes in the pacific area. US-west coast (and central US) quakes are long overdue statisticly (So are they also for Tokyo, Istanbul-Turkey etc. statistics is nothing more than average and nothing is average.)

Dutchsinse in my opinion is quite good in his "predictions"/calculations/logics. But when you realy expect a major quake make a plan-and maybe if you can move to a more safe location.

Hope nothing happens...stay safe !
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2017 at 4:57am
Major event due on the San Andreas fault.  Swarm of 250 earthquakes near California-Mexican border.

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 5:05am
DeepThinker- I'm talking about when the traffic is heavy and you know you'll be stuck there. Not just arbitrarily stopping on a road. When driving in California you'll see a lot of people do that. Besides, it gives the even crazier drivers some place to cut into traffic 😄.
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
DeepThinker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepThinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 11:09am
I really wounder if stopping before overpasses is a bit penny smart pound foolish.   By stopping where other cars don't expect and causing a disruption to the traffic flow....   I think your risk of being injured in a traffic accident is WAY greater than ever being crushed by a fallen overpass.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 9:12pm
Glad you are fine Hachi! I am just a mother always worried about the kids!

Hope there is never a Big One in CA!
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 10:16am
Thank you all for all the love and well wishes! We really are a family here Heart
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 6:34am
Originally posted by DeepThinker DeepThinker wrote:

First off I seriously, seriously doubt that a 6.5 in northern Cali/Oregon was felt in LA.    Like we discussed on the economic threads you will be right some day Medclnian.   However I don't think your alarmist posts are helpful.  To think you can interpret the meaning/significance of a relatively small quake (small relative to what this geological zone is capable of)  is the height of arrogance IMO.   Even the experts have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to earthquake predictions.

Also, if you didn't know, two years ago there was an even stronger quake in the same area that didn't lead to the "big one."

This one hit. It was on CNN as well.  I have no idea why less than 24 hour later it had been forgotten.

A 6.5-magnitude earthquake shook the ocean floor about 100 miles off the northern California coast Thursday morning, causing weak to light shaking in coastal communities in parts of that state and Oregon, the US Geological Survey said.
The quake, centered about 102 miles west of Ferndale, California, happened around 6:50 a.m. PT.
http://news.lalate.com/2016/12/08/california-earthquake-2016-today-6-5-quake-december-8/

The video was taken down on YouTube.

We are seeing global earthquake activity and some fairly large ones. The prediciton of an 8.3 in California is based on science that they have discoverd the San Andreas fault could rip all at once where two ares were to remain solid, those could go as well.

Medclinician

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 12:38pm
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
~Albert Einstein
ParanoidMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParanoidMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 5:00am
My kids have always shrunk down in their seats when I stop before an overpass. Now that they're older and driving they understand why. Living in earthquake country makes us do strange things
But the souls of the righteous are in the hand of the Lord
Wisdom of Solomon 3:1
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 1:10am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOT_PfqZrc Dutchsinse global update.
(Summery: A 7,5-8 El Salvador-Colombia, area just struck by a 5.1 when I am writing it. Another 7,5 ? for California with the 6,5 being transferred to Oklahoma. Japan, north of Tokyo 6,5, Iran/Afghanistan 6,5-moving further M5 Greece, M4-swarm Italy. Dutchsinse has long presentations-my summery may be far from complete DJ. In the past Dutchsinse sometimes was half a magnitude, a few hundred kilometres, wrong-according to himself. Major quakes, exceptional movements (volcanic eruptions) may not be his strongest point. Also pressure can be released in a swarm of smaller quakes instead of one big quake.)

Large earthquakes can cause global disaster. Fukushima is still a major radio-active problem. When economic zones get hit hard it will effect global economy. Haïti saw a cholera outbreak after the major earthquake.
~Albert Einstein
KiwiMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 11:19pm
It's funny but when I heard this morning that California had a 6.5, I did wonder if it might be a foreshock. We had a similiar thing here last month when there was a 6 ish earthquake and then a few days later we had a 7.8. 

The geologists said that the first one was a foreshock. 

If you are in the California earthquake, my advice is not to worry. Our 7.8 was big, and the shaking lasted for 2 full minutes. It woke us all up and my family all followed our drill and stayed in bed and were shouting to each other as it progressed. 

From experience I can tell you that all you need to do is have a plan, be prepared and not panic. Children pick up their fear responses from adults, so you need to agree beforehand how you are going to talk about it and react to it. 

After our 7.8 we had to add a new thing to our family emergency action plan: my children were out sailing in little dinghies at a local river estuary just 6 hours before the quake happened. As it was, that quake generated a tsunami and the whole coastline was evacuated at 1 in the morning, and if it had happened 6 hours earlier, my children would have been caught in it on the ocean. So now we have a plan that if the tsunami sirens sounds, and they see a tsunami coming they sail directly at it. 

Seriously, I never thought I'd be teaching my children to sail over an incoming tsunami, but I have, and they are fine about it. In fact they think it would be an adventure. 

The other changes we have made to our lifestyle include:
 We never park in multi storey or underground carparks
We never stop in traffic under a fly over. We stop just before it, but not under it. 
We always carry in the car a blanket, jumpers for each person, rain coats, water and food, plus I have walking shoes in my car since I wear lovely heeled sandals when I go out, which are lovely but not good for walking home in. I also have a length of rope and a loo roll.

I hope this helps anyone in the area who's worrying. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 9:52pm
Amen to that Clap
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 9:32pm
FluMom: Thanks for asking the question, I was wondering myself!

jd: Glad you had an answer! Some people don't understand that we're a family! I worry about some of the younger one's like they're my own. We don't always agree politically or religiously but don't mess with my brothers or sisters! I will defend them!

Hachi: Be safe and hope all is well!

irish
Buy more ammo!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 9:05pm
She's fine, FluMom. She just posted in the Mod meeting room. She has some family issues though, but she's okay.
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 9:02pm
Has anyone heard from Hachi in CA! I am waiting for a big one there one of these days with too many killed and hurt. I would never want to live there or St. Louis... Remember the Mississippi going backwards with the New Madras fault 1811 and 1812?

I do not like earthquakes!!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 2:16pm
It looks like someone stitched a couple of old videos together, Med.

DeepThinker View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepThinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 1:21pm
First off I seriously, seriously doubt that a 6.5 in northern Cali/Oregon was felt in LA.    Like we discussed on the economic threads you will be right some day Medclnian.   However I don't think your alarmist posts are helpful.  To think you can interpret the meaning/significance of a relatively small quake (small relative to what this geological zone is capable of)  is the height of arrogance IMO.   Even the experts have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to earthquake predictions.

Also, if you didn't know, two years ago there was an even stronger quake in the same area that didn't lead to the "big one."
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 12:47pm
As it hit. k

comment: no idea what happened on this video. This was on the news. Looks like this one and coverage of this earthquake simply vanished over a day.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 12:44pm
There is a possibility the entire San Andreas fault could go. We are seeing a lot more activity and these are pre-quakes - not aftershocks

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 3:34pm
I posted this a few hours before I got news of the Japanese earthquake. This follows a large one in New Zealand and I think we are having some shifting of the Tectonic plates.

Med
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 3:50pm
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/11/20/earthquakes-reckoning-with-big-one-in-california-and-it-just-got-bigger.html

comment: If the entire San Andreas fault ripped all at once - it coulc cause an 8.3 earthquake. It is unlikely any structure could deal with an 8.0. I was in Morgan Hill when the Loma Prieta quake hit in California almost on the fault line

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/1989/

For years, scientists believed the mighty San Andreas—the 800-mile-long fault running the length of California where the Pacific and North American plates meet—could only rupture in isolated sections.

But a recent study by federal, state and academic researchers showed that much of the fault could unzip all at once, unleashing a rare, singular catastrophe. Now, insurers have used that research to come up with a new analysis of the damage that could be caused by statewide break of the San Andreas.

The analysis, by CoreLogic Inc., a real-estate analytics firm in Irvine, Calif., lays out an alarming scenario of destruction.

Medclinician

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic