Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Happy Christmas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Christmas
    Posted: December 19 2016 at 6:52pm
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all!   As I sit by my fire and look at all my beautiful Christmas decorations with my son safely home I am grateful to the Lord for all my blessings.   I wish for you all the same Peace and Happiness I feel at this time of year.
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 8:15am
Merry Christmas to all at AFT and our readers.

Medclinician

"not if but when" the original Medclinician
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 6:43pm
Happy Christmas, you guys. I love hearing everyone's family traditions. So important to keep them. When I was a kid, Christmas had a big, month long build up and lasted well into January. As well as a tree, we always went completely over the top with the indoor decorations, and family and friends came over to help each year (with Mum passing out the obligatory sherry). When we were done, the living room hung with tinsel, paper chains and decorations. It went all around the tops of the walls, across the ceiling from corner to corner - just about everything got decorated. That's something else we do now as well, even though my wife wasn't the biggest fan of tinsel at first. Winning her over slowly Wink

Some time during the night, Santa brought your presents in a sack and left them at the bottom of your bed. My brother and I could open them as soon as we realized they were there, which meant Christmas Day started in the early hours of the morning some years. Stockings (that were actually long socks) would hang on the fireplace with fruit, nuts, small toys, etc in them, and more presents would be under the tree - typically the larger ones that wouldn't fit in the sack. We'd sit around, and like KiwiMum's family, we'd read the label and open each one in turn while everyone watched. Then we'd play with our presents (wearing our new snazzy sweaters) while we waited for dinner. I remember that "Jason and the Argonauts" was guaranteed to be on TV every Christmas morning when I was growing up. And we still enjoyed watching it every year.

Dinner would be roast turkey (back before I went veggie, anyway), with sage and onion stuffing. My Mum would make mashed potato and swede (rutabaga) to go with the roast veggies (potatoes, parsnips, carrots, etc) and Brussels spouts. The meal was always superb, and my Dad always tracked down a bottle of Blue Nun Liebfraumilch to go with it. We'd open Christmas crackers with each other around the table, and even us kids got a glass of wine (to go with the sherry my other had been slipping us all morning. Shhh...). We'd finish up with Christmas pudding and cream, then fight to stay awake as we sat in front of the TV and topped off with homemade mince pies and jam tarts.

After we got married, we did Christmas the way my wife's family did and waited until lunchtime to open presents over at their place. It didn't feel right , and a couple of years after our son was born I told her that I wanted to try it the way I remembered it. That year, my son woke to find a sack of presents on his bed, sleigh tracks in the front lawn with half eaten carrots scattered around, and an empty glass and cookie crumbs in the house. It was a huge success, and it's been that way ever since.

Anyway, back to tidying up so we can start decorating this place Thumbs Up

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 3:00pm
We fold/flatten each link lengthwise still connected.  It forms a big letter L as the links are at right angles to one another.  I started putting it in a box unfolded but it was too rough on the precious chain.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 10:40am
Techno I love the sound of your paper chain. Do you dismantle it (as in undo all the links) every year, or do you just put the whole thing in a box? It's a lovely idea. 
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 10:07am
I've been doing things for Christmas with my guy already. He has to move back home to Idaho for a while so we've been making the most of it while he's still here in California.  Went to festival of lights, last night, and I showed him the present that I made for him *a golden snitch from Harry Potter, he's a bigger fan than I am lol* then next week is my birthday, and I'm hopefully heading down to home for a few days during Christmas.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 6:29pm
Well said!  My wife and I shall do as much as we can to avoid the world, staying indoors (Chicago is headed to negative zero temps), eating copiously, and doing a lot of nothing! 
CRS, DrPH
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 2:05pm
That sounds like heaven KiwiMum.  

Though my children are adults now, we still do stockings (Santa presents).  Though the fat man at the north pole is long dissproven, I still believe in him in spirit! So the stockings are opened in the morning.  Big important personal presents are opened later, but not with anything like your family's restraint: I and mine are too much like big kids.

We will be having turkey with a goose spatchcocked over it.  Probably gravad lax for starters and certainly Christmas pud. for afters with brandy cream.

Back in the 90s, I and my then boyfriend, started a strange custom of our own which Hubby and I adopted.  Here it is common for children put up paper chains which they make afresh each year.  In my family the adults do it, but with the same chain year after year.  Then everyone who stays, or visits, over the whole 12 days of Christmas, signs and dates a link.  It is a ba****d to take down and fold up, but so worth it!  Sometimes friends and family move away, or even die, but there is a tiny bit of them forever  visiting at Christmas.  That tatty paper chain is worth more than gold.

Anyway:

Image result for paper chain

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 11:13am
I hope it's not too early to start a Happy Christmas thread. The members on here are from all over the world and we all do things differently but are still connected through common interest and friendship and I'd like to wish you all a very happy Christmas. 

Our Christmas will be hot, since we are in summer and can range from a cool 20 degs C to a scorching 38 degs C (65 F - 100F). In my family we have a very relaxed Christmas day. We get up at 6 and the children open their stockings. Thankfully Father Christmas uses lots of sellotape when he wraps the presents and so they take time to get into. 

We eat croissants for breakfast, feed all our animals, milk the cows, do our jobs. We have lunch early at about 12. This year we're having a whole salmon with salads, trifle and Christmas pudding.

After lunch, when all the washing up is done, we go into the sitting room where our tree is, open some champagne and then we open our presents under the tree. We do this one by one. One person selects a gift for someone else, reads out the labels, hands over the gift and we all watch the person open it. Then the next person does it and so it goes on. It takes about 2 hours this way, and there aren't that many presents but we each get to enjoy every gift. 

Then generally we snooze a bit, maybe have a swim, play outside, and just generally relax. We watch the Queen's speech, and maybe a movie in the evening, but mainly we just hang out together. We don't dress up. Shorts and tee shirts are the order of the day, although I have a nice spangly top I'll wear with my shorts this year.

Happy Christmas everyone.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic