Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bird Flu Infects Cats in New York Animal Shelter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Bird Flu Infects Cats in New York Animal Shelter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
newbie1 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Flu Infects Cats in New York Animal Shelter
    Posted: January 03 2017 at 1:45pm
Yes CULL THE CATS! I LOVE my turkeys and peafowl, my ducks and geese come when called better then a cat... If ANY ONE of my flock was tested positive with AI (either HP or LP) the govt would cull every single bird on my property including my closest pets...

So why not cull a shelter cat - this is not (yet) someone's beloved pet...

the old saying "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" comes to mind...
Cherish each moment
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2016 at 1:30am
What kill someone's pet cat.....doubt that would ever happen ....lol
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
Newbie1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 10:54pm
Wonder why they aren't automatically culling them all... They'll kill tens of thousands of birds (millions in big barns) for low path AI but not these cats ?!?! Isn't the risk of it mutating / spreading to humans about the same?
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

How crazy, but I wonder if it's because NYC has a lot of pigeons and stray cats feed off of them? Glad my cats are indoor cats.

could be right ,unless they been "seeing" each other lol

our cat has a "run"and a cage i built ,so he can go out without destroying the "native " wild life....
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 2:15pm
How crazy, but I wonder if it's because NYC has a lot of pigeons and stray cats feed off of them? Glad my cats are indoor cats.
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 4:50am
Well this is a first.  bird flu is spreading in cats in New York.   Lately, from what we've seen, as these a/i viruses spread they become more virulent, not to mention the risk of jumping to humans and mutating also significantly increases as it spreads in the cat pop.   Maybe we will start see cat culls soon, who knows.

Bird Flu Infects Cats in New York Animal Shelter

A type of bird flu usually only seen in chicken flocks has infected 45 cats at an animal shelter in New York, and vets say they're not sure how it got there.

It is unusual, but not unheard of, for influenza to infect cats. Only one of the cats at the shelter, an elderly cat, has died.

&lt;img class="img-responsive img_inline" src="http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_50/1835686/bouquet_of_kittens_cf90a9fe580ac77ed078f67984b1f92d.nbcnews-fp-360-360.jpg" alt="" title="" /&gt; < ="btn btn_">
H7N2 avian influenza has been found at in cats in a new York shelter. Almost all the cats are recovering. These shelter cats were not affected Maggie Fox / NBC News

"This influenza virus is spreading from cat to cat and may be able to spread to other animals and possibly humans," the New York City Department of Health said in a statement.

"No human infections have been identified to date," the department added.

The shelter staff are testing other animals at the shelter, including dogs, and haven't found any other species affected yet.

Respiratory disease can spread quickly among animals held at high densities, such as at shelters, in live markets or on big farms.

Vets, doctors and other scientists keep an eye on bird flu because it can and does spread to people and has the potential to cause epidemics. So far, H7N2 hasn't.

Related: Keep an Eye Out for H5N2, CDC Says

"The Health Department is contacting all persons who have adopted cats from Animal Care Center's Manhattan care center since November 12th," the agency said.

Play From H1N1 to H5N2, Whats in a Flu Name?
From H1N1 to H5N2, What's in a Flu Name? 0:42
autoplay autoplay
< ="/">
< name="" ="_control _" id="" autofocus="autofocus" rows="4" readonly="readonly"><iframe src="http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/462497347612" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cats with cough, fever, runny noses or lip-smacking behavior should be kept separate from other animals, and their owners should call the health department. It's good advice to keep a sick pet of any kind away from others anyway, vets say.

Health experts have been keeping a close eye on new types of influenza ever since H5N1 avian influenza re-emerged in Hong Kong in 2003. Flu viruses mutate constantly and also mix up their genes — a process called re-assortment.

Related: New Bird Flu Virus Shuts Down Indiana Farm

Each time a new strain results from either process, it can confuse the immune systems of animals or people and cause epidemics. A new avian flu is the No. 1 fear of biological security experts, who know flu causes regular pandemics among people, sometimes killing millions in months.

So animals and people are being tested more and more often with sensitive genetic tests that show not only that influenza has caused an infection, but which strain of influenza.

This particular strain of H7N2 is not particularly worrying, said Dr. Amy Glaser, a virologist at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University.

"Generally, it is a relatively mild disease and the animals are recovering," she told NBC News.

"There is no reason to believe that it is more widespread than this shelter at this point in time," Glaser added.

Play Egg Emergency: Bird Flu Causes Egg Prices to Rise
Egg Emergency: Bird Flu Causes Egg Prices to Rise 0:50
autoplay autoplay
< ="/">
< name="" ="_control _" id="" autofocus="autofocus" rows="4" readonly="readonly"><iframe src="http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/455768131536" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Related: Dog Flu Cases on Rise in Chicago

This particular strain of H7N2 had not been since 2006, Glaser said. It had been seen in live bird markets in New York. It's possible wild birds picked it up and kept it circulating since then, she said.

"We need to be looking for influenza in unexpected places," she said.

https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic